Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week Of 8/18
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 02:10 AM (7,114 Views)
Days4Life

As a mother, I tried to put myself in Kayla's shoes and imagine the fear upon discovering my child was missing...and I still laughed at her OTT hysterics. I think the Steve and Kayla scenes have been really bad, for the most part. And when they found Joe in that utility closet, all I could think about was why didn't one of them catch the door and hold it open...didn't they learn from last time? It would have been so funny if they got locked in AGAIN!

Chloe and her drama (I'm dizzy! I can't breathe!) actually made me feel sorry for Lucas. Poor guy. Loved his Sami imitation; he really sounds like he's fed up with her.

Overall, I liked the episode today. More good than bad, it went fast, and I didn't fall asleep.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Mason
Aug 21 2008, 01:55 PM
MBE was awful at the beginning of today's show. I almost couldn't bear to to watch her.
I was at a subshop today(Lenny's is awesome) and was only there for the first scene and was laughing inside watching the scene because this one lady was cracking up at Kayla acting a fool(her words). IA MBE was awful in that first scene, hopefully the rest of the show wasn't as bad.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Tripp
Aug 21 2008, 02:08 PM
WTF is up with Lexie telling Nicole to keep Sami away from EJ? Is she the new Kate now? (I guess time will tell if she sleeps with Daniel). What does she care if EJ and Sami get together? I know Sami is not her favorite person but it's what her brother really wants.

Lexie should hate Sami for all Sami did to her the past few years..So i'm fine with Lexie wanting her brother with a better woman..

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Kevc1980
Aug 21 2008, 04:35 PM
Tripp
Aug 21 2008, 02:08 PM
WTF is up with Lexie telling Nicole to keep Sami away from EJ? Is she the new Kate now? (I guess time will tell if she sleeps with Daniel). What does she care if EJ and Sami get together? I know Sami is not her favorite person but it's what her brother really wants.

Lexie should hate Sami for all Sami did to her the past few years..So i'm fine with Lexie wanting her brother with a better woman..
Ditto

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 11:15 AM
Jiggs
Aug 21 2008, 03:14 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 02:14 AM
My thinking is that it was more about contrast, much like John's hair was slicked back to show the difference between old and new John. I think maybe the body double was a factor but that they wanted the hair to look somewhat similar to the hair in the flashbacks today and the wig did a bit as it had that blonde glimmer to it that both Dee and Andrea had in the flashbacks.
But the wig wasn't really like their hair in the flashbacks, imo. The wig was much closer to what Marlena's hair was - with the bangs and all. Just lighter and wiggier :biggrin:
Well, I thought it was.

Whatever the case, she could be dressed like a homeless person and I wouldn't care. For me, it's about the writing and the acting. The rest always comes secondary to me. Sure, sometimes some of that can make or break a scene but, in this case, that wasn't the case, at least not for me.
For the record it made no difference to me either. I expect to see wigs in scenes with body doubles on soaps ^_^

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Aug 21 2008, 01:31 PM
My Mom asked me yesterday "Are they doing this again?", she meant Steffy terrorizing and tormenting everyone. I've been thinking about that recently to, it does get tiring with him always getting away with things like this. Marlena injecting Steffy with that drug made me start to love her again, and it was nice to see something put him out of commission that didn't involve him dying. I hope everyone doesn't try and make Marlena feel guilty about what she did, because after everything that's happened to her and her loved ones because of Steffy; he got what he had coming. I guess the medical ethics about what she did could be questioned though......

Oh and my favorite part of yesterday's episode was the flashback with Sam and Marlena.........
ITA, she did what she had to do, since the police seem incapable of reigning in Stefano all the times he has tormented her over most of her adult life.

:lol: @ your avatar!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Aug 21 2008, 01:40 PM
OK it's taken me a long time to get to this point but today I decided. I want Patch and Kayla written out of the show.

I've tried to get behind them and into their characters despite missing their magic the first time around. At times I even have got behind them and their story and out of respect for the actors even when I haven't enjoyed them, I haven't been all that critical of them. Until now. Until today and Mary Beth's acting was sooooooooooo over the top it was like even worse than Ali Sweeney on her worst crying jag Sami days to the point where I was just laughing at Kayla's misfortune of having her baby stolen. Her and Patch's wailing at the beginning of the episode actually was so OTT it reminded me of the scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie fantasizes about his parents OTT mourning of him having gone blind and/or sick from the awful soap his mom put in his mouth for swearing. And Steve's awful haircut didn't help matters either.

On the other hand, I actually really liked the Luloe scene and Lucas today. He was definitely cracking me up with his Sami impression and I really thought BD brought it today.
LOL at the comparison to A Christmas Story! I thought it was way over the top as well and laughable, but I will give MBE a pass. I think all actresses have at least one of those moments on screen in their careers. Alison Sweeney is a whole different story.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sweet Sauce
Aug 21 2008, 02:47 PM
esp13
Aug 21 2008, 01:32 PM
I don't need OldJohn to explain why he loved Marlena so much, but I think maybe NuJohn does. I think maybe he needs to hear that perspective more than anybody. That's why I think it would have been great if they had gone that direction, instead of having OldJohn simply speak in the same generalities everybody else had. That's all I'm trying to say.
I kind of agree. It would have been even better if OldJohn had touched upon personal, intimate (not that way) things like...

"Even if you don't remember it, you also know that the happiest feeling we've ever had is when she held our hand as she fell asleep on our shoulder when we watched movies. Or watching the way her lips would curl into a smile she kept just for us. Or knowing that she'll love you no matter how much we mess up or what other people say. You know, as I do, that she's that one person who will always be there."
I don't know that the writers at Days know how to do that kind of thing :frown:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Aug 21 2008, 02:54 PM
As a mother, I tried to put myself in Kayla's shoes and imagine the fear upon discovering my child was missing...and I still laughed at her OTT hysterics. I think the Steve and Kayla scenes have been really bad, for the most part. And when they found Joe in that utility closet, all I could think about was why didn't one of them catch the door and hold it open...didn't they learn from last time? It would have been so funny if they got locked in AGAIN!
All I could think was why is that baby so HUGE? Wasn't he born an embryo? :wink:

cjknick
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 21 2008, 01:55 PM
MBE was awful at the beginning of today's show. I almost couldn't bear to to watch her.
:omg: Seriously I thought WTH MBE and SN were so over the top I thought perhaps they thought they were in the Film Noir scenes....

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Amello
Aug 20 2008, 11:52 PM
Mason
Aug 20 2008, 11:47 PM
DrewHamilton
Aug 20 2008, 11:17 PM
I miss old John. :(
Me too. I'm sick of this smug, arrogant shell with a bad haircut.
I miss when John was dead!
HAHA!

I'm glad old John is dead. I love the new one and would never wanna go back.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Today was ok. It tied up some things nicely.

I enjoyed the tension returning between Sami and Kate. Good scenes. Liked Lexie pushing Nicole to go after EJ. It tied in nicely with the tension that used to exist and still sort of does between Lexie and Sami. I enjoyed the Sami/EJ/Nicole stuff today. Ari was good and James played the conflict well. Liked Kate being involved and Roman and Abe in action. I was LMAO when they got in the room and Stefano mocked them on video. Good scene there as he revealed what Marlena did to him. I like how people are learning about Marlena did and are shocked by it. I always wanted to see a story like this where Marlena did something against her perfect image without being possessed or under mind control.

Lucas and Chloe were good too. Their scenes with Stefano were interesting and I did like how they helped Steve and Kayla in the end. Now, let me just say certain situations call for different acting. I think the situation of being locked in a room full of gas that knocked you out, which allowed for your infant child to be kidnapped is worthy of that. I think MBE and SN played it perfectly. I would be in over the top hysterics too if my child was kidnapped as I would feel helpless. Seeing nothing and being locked in a room and then wondering how the gas affected the child and what could be happening out there. There was alot unknown so I think the scenes worked and they handled it the right way. I do think Steve and Kayla get judged harshly as far as what is done with them (this is the first time I've seen their acting kind of criticized really) because many view them as expendable. To each their own. I do wonder what the significance of the mark on Joe's arm is. Hmm...

Not too bad but tomorrow looks like a fast-paced show with lots happening.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Just saw Mondays show, what the fuck was that? Talk about wasting time.

Anyway, from best to worst:
1. Jay
2. Arianne
3. Bryan
4. James
5. Nadia
6. Alison (when the fuck will Days fire that pathetic excuse of an actress?)

ges
Member Avatar

I think Chloe is a robot. for real.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I enjoyed fridays show, great wrap up to an exciting week..And i'm loving John being more caring to Marlena..Also nice cliffhanger with Marlena asking who he was...

Stefano at the mansion was great and i liked that Ej and Sami both figured out he had been there...And i couldn't stand EJ, Sami, Lucas when it was just the three of them..But now that we have Chloe and Nicole teaming up against Sami, i'm much more interested in this story...I don't think Chloe and Lucas have longterm potential, but they work as a rebound for the time being..And that Nicole and EJ scene was intense..

EJ and Tony teaming up to take on John and Stefano is going to be great..So glad Tony looks to be staying active in the storyline..And i liked that we got to see Anna again..She gave some great performances the past 2 weeks..And i hope the writers realize the potential they have in the character of Anna...

And finally i'm curious what happened to Joe...wonder if we will ever find out..

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

After a shitty Thursday eppy, I thought Friday was really good.

Rolf/Stefano: Loved these, their banter back and forth was just like old times. Stefano snapping the queen on the chess board was awesome.

EJ/Sami: I just can't stand the character of Sami right now and Ali has really been bad the past few weeks. I can't wait for her to leave the show for a good bit when she has her baby girl.

Drake is really impressing me lately, dare I say he can act.

And I can't believe I am saying this, but I am looking forward to seeing Melanie, Max, and Stephanie on Monday's show. :drunk:
Edited by Kirk, Aug 23 2008, 05:32 PM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Kirk
Aug 23 2008, 05:14 PM
And I can't believe I am saying this, but I am looking forward to seeing Melanie, Max, and Stephanie on Monday's show. :drunk:
I'm shocked to be agreeing with you..2 weeks was a very nice break from them..But i'm enjoying Melanie so far, and looking forward to her meeting Nick...Chelsea and Dan are really the only two i'm not looking forward to seeing, but at least they have big stuff coming up.

Shylock

I want to state that the new John is better than old John, not just because of the humor.. but because it has enabled Drake to show us he can act, even subtly at times, whereas with Old John he was bland and somewhat smug.. all the damn time. And this new John is fresh and interesting, especially with how he's been acting during this whole crisis and it's aftermath. His scenes with Sami, Marlena, his pop, young Stefano and Old John were probably his best work ever.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Aug 21 2008, 01:32 PM
Ellie
Aug 21 2008, 12:05 PM
esp13
Aug 21 2008, 10:44 AM
But since I don't claim to be a big J&M fan, my interest in the story is less at an emotional level, than at a storytelling level. And, what I want most of all for all the characters on the show is a good story. This is just something that stuck out that would have made yesterday much better, in my opinion of course.
I do understand what you're saying, but I think that the reason you and I aren't going to agree on this is that you're coming from a complete non-J&M fan perspective, while I'm coming from the exact opposite end of the spectrum. Now, I think the interesting thing is that yesterday's show was geared not necessarily to J&M fans, but to those with at least, let's call it a "working knowledge" of J&M's history. I had the same thought about the Marlena/Stefano shows, where the 'Queen of the Night' flashbacks weren't explained to the viewers at all or put in context. The J&M flashbacks yesterday weren't either. (The Samantha flashbacks were, however.) So, I will agree with you that for the 'complete J&M novice' viewer, yesterday's show may have needed a bit more in terms of motivations for the characters. However, those familiar with J&M (again, even non-fans) were probably able to mentally fill in most of those gaps, even without realizing it.

I'd be interested to know how many people watching today have watched since the 60's, the 70's, the 80's or the 90's. The writers seem to have based many of the recent scripts on the assumption that today's viewers have been watching for a while. I hope that assumption is correct (I personally think it is), because if it's not, many viewers might be left with the same questions you're having.
I don't disagree that even non J&M fans with a working knowledge of the characters are able to fill in the blanks. I may not have watched much of anything in the 90's, but I still have a working knowledge of the general history and so it's not that I needed the blanks filled in. Rather, it's that NuJohn doesn't have any of that working knowledge and HE needs the blanks filled in. I don't need OldJohn to explain why he loved Marlena so much, but I think maybe NuJohn does. I think maybe he needs to hear that perspective more than anybody. That's why I think it would have been great if they had gone that direction, instead of having OldJohn simply speak in the same generalities everybody else had. That's all I'm trying to say.
Excellent post!
I'm a day late and a dollar short, but the highlights of the week for me were Monday and Tuesday. I've yet to see Thursday and Friday, but I didn't care at all for Wednesday. (I think I have the right day). Now, it could be my anti-J&M feelings showing, but I really didn't care for the propping, and I agree here about nuJohn needing to be told WHY Marlena was the woman for him.
I honestly thought there was a better difference shown between nuJohn and oldJohn than between Sam and Marlena. To me, it was Dee Hall playing Marlena both ways, one way with a wig. It just didn't cut it for me, and made me feel like she was just having a conversation with herself. Very unsatisifying, although I did like, in the dialogue, how Sam kept pressuring Marlena to be honest as to why she did what she did to Stefano.
And, it was weird how they threw in the other stuff. I think it was Tony and Anna. It just didn't fit with what was going on elsewhere. And, honestly, I would have loved to have seen more Tony and Anna, but I have to set my love of them aside. They just didn't go with the flow of the episode at this particular time. It was sort of like they were stuck in there to be a break from the J&M scenes. (I know there were scenes with others, but I honestly can't recall at the time who they were, because again, they didn't seem to fit).
I need to relax tonight here and watch Thursday and Friday's recordings.
OK, I confess, though...........it was good hearing 'thassa fact!' and comparing oldJohn and nuJohn hairstyles...

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

IMissAremid
Aug 21 2008, 01:40 PM
OK it's taken me a long time to get to this point but today I decided. I want Patch and Kayla written out of the show.

I've tried to get behind them and into their characters despite missing their magic the first time around. At times I even have got behind them and their story and out of respect for the actors even when I haven't enjoyed them, I haven't been all that critical of them. Until now. Until today and Mary Beth's acting was sooooooooooo over the top it was like even worse than Ali Sweeney on her worst crying jag Sami days to the point where I was just laughing at Kayla's misfortune of having her baby stolen. Her and Patch's wailing at the beginning of the episode actually was so OTT it reminded me of the scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie fantasizes about his parents OTT mourning of him having gone blind and/or sick from the awful soap his mom put in his mouth for swearing. And Steve's awful haircut didn't help matters either.

On the other hand, I actually really liked the Luloe scene and Lucas today. He was definitely cracking me up with his Sami impression and I really thought BD brought it today.
You wouldn't be hysterical if someone took your baby?????
I actually thought it would be the way many women would react.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply