Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Petition Please Sign; Censorship at the NBC DOOL Fansite
Topic Started: Aug 18 2008, 09:25 PM (3,046 Views)
Implosion

I should make clear that I was asked to write this post for another member as they were feeling upset over their treatment at the NBC site. Having gone through similar experiences at NBC Dool board, I felt that this was a challenge that I had to accept. I posted the letter here so that others can be made aware of the petition and lend their support to the overall betterment of the NBC DOOL fan board, and to the treatment of ejami's there. Censorship is a very funny thing, however when we discuss our show on a board that is supported by the television network that the show is on, all discussion on that board should be upheld and treated in a manner of respect to our viewership and intelligence.

That being said I hope you all lend your names to the petition and have a fruitful discussion.

Implosion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I write this petition as a means to address my concerns around the problematic treatment that I have witnessed among other members and have experienced from the moderators at the NBC Days of Our Lives (DOOL) Fan Board. My worry and concern surrounds the way that the moderators censor those of us posters who do not feel the same about the show that they do. Moderators at the NBC DOOL Fan Board display a certain form of favoritism towards those posters and fans who prescribe to the coupling of Sami and Lucas.

I would like to know on whose behalf the NBC moderators are working on. I am a user at NBC and I take issue to the way that the Days of Our Lives fan board is being moderated. I feel that the moderators act on behalf of particular fans. In my mind they are biased and take no accountability or responsibility for the decisions that they make. I am tired of feeling as though my voice does not count on this site. My issue with the moderators is that they play favorites. They are fans of the show, and in particular fans of a particular couple, and if we the users are not in accordance with the couple that they prefer, our voices are squelched and denied. They use tactics and means that are tantamount to censorship.

The moderators remove posts without notifying users, they shift posts to less prominent areas on the site, so as to ensure that their couple remains paramount on the front page of the website. As you know the front page of any webpage is the most important real estate of any webpage. For them to remove posts and place, rather bury them on other areas of the site, is censorship. The very fact that the moderators do not at the very least warn users that their posts are being removed and being placed in other areas of the site is an issue that needs to be addressed.

More importantly the moderators of the board do not moderate those users who are friends of theirs, who they know from other fan sites, and who conform or who are apart of the couple fan bases they prefer. All of which is a problem, as they are displaying to my mind a bias that is problematic to the enjoyment and my over all usage of this site. What is clear is that some ground rules need to be established for the moderators. Rules that they need to adhere to in regards to their jobs at the site. It is one rule for all, not turn a blind eye when it is a couple they like, nor to ban members who like or prefer a different couple then the moderators. Most of these issues can be ameliorated if some form of appeal process is put into place so that decisions such as these are not made in isolation from an over arching management structure. Whatever may be the case, it would seem that the moderators at NBC are not mature enough or capable in that respect to administer fair and equitable treatment for all, as it pertains to fan board comments and posts.

If you feel the same way, or have experienced the same problems and would like for the issue to be addressed, please sign this petition.

For more information please visit this stie: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/NBCDOOLForum/
Offline Profile Goto Top

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Why not just stop posting there? :shrug:

From what I've heard, the NBC boards have always been shit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

I can attest they are definitely clickey and I tend to just not go there except on a rear occasion.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shakabigfoot
Member Avatar

I signed it, good luck with that. They don't care and they are aware of the treatment of various fanbases. But like I said, good luck with that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Implosion

I want to thank one and all for participating in this petition. I too think that it is an excellent idea and congratulate the member who approached me to write the over arching letter, for thinking up the idea. For too long we have been silenced and bullied on the NBC site for talking about our favorite couple and soap. Any and all dissention from the pack of followers on that site should be seen as a good thing, as it can only mean the betterment of our soap and its characters. We are fundamentally shaping the soap into one that we can watch and feel proud to watch. I wish that the moderators on NBC should do just that - moderate, rather then to squelch and silence those of us who do not view the soap in the same way that they do. I for one am tired of writing pieces that are deleted or moved because a) the moderator is unable to understand words that are more then one syllable or B) because I feel passionately and strongly about a particular couple (ejami) and all things Days and choose to demonstrate this passion through my writings. My writings for those who have not had a chance to read my posts are ones which examine salient storylines that that not only involve my favored couple, but examine the overall body of the soap and its genre in general. The fact that there is no mechanism in place to complain about the moderation at NBC, to call into question the decisions that the moderators make or the ratinales used for such decisions is a serious lack in website management or administration, an issue which needs to be addressed for all clients and users of the NBC website, as it is the primary source for which we can hope to influence the soap on a day to day basis regarding the storylines and the direction that the soap is taking.

I ask myself daily if the rules and moderation of the site is something for which I can support....

For me, I have given up, as I realize that anything that is worthy of writing or examined through prose will ultimately be deleted or moved to less prominant areas of the site. Hopefully this petition will open a few eyes and ears over at NBC, or at the very least make me feel like I have the ability to have a say in the way that the site is governed. I hope everyone takes a chance to place their name and be counted.

Cheers.
Implosion
Edited by Implosion, Aug 18 2008, 11:05 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

I would say just boycot it. Don't go to the website whatsoever.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

That's right. Just ignore it. I don't go there because I feel like my IQ sinks about 100 points, and I can't afford to lose any more IQ points. :D
It is cliquey and biased and discourages anyone with a thought of their own.

Or, if you can find the contact information for tech support or the webmaster, use snail mail. A bunch of individual letters will go farther than a petition that can be spammed. Truly. From what I understand, a lot of places ignore those. IF the writers of Days and the muckety-mucks really watch that board, writing to them wouldn't hurt, either.

I find it ironic about the mods there, knowing how some of them got in trouble elsewhere, but oh, well.......
Edited by ladyofthelake, Aug 19 2008, 06:16 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Days4Life

I avoid that site like the plague. It seems to be run by 12 year olds. (My apologies to the majority of 12 year olds, who are usually much more mature and intelligent.)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Thanks Implosion~

I was the one who asked Implosion to write the petition, btw.

I hardly post there so I don't care but, since I got banned for 10 days because I posted in the WRONG section. WTF?! Are you serious? LMAO!

Anyhow, I think it's time for NBC to get rid of these low life bums that they have for user moderators.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

The problem is NBC wants them to moderate like that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Exactly. This is just something that sadly won't change and the sad part is that the NBC board is probably the one board the show looks at the most.

Seriously, just don't go there and, if you have any friends or know anyone sensible that does go there, tell them not too either. It's just not worth it.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 20 2008, 01:54 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I have to post there since the people at DOOL reads that board. Corday & Higley sees trash and I need to voice my opinions.

The bias is a HUGE problem at that board and those pesky moderators needs to be exterminated.
Offline Profile Goto Top

brimike

Days4Life
Aug 19 2008, 09:19 AM
I avoid that site like the plague. It seems to be run by 12 year olds. (My apologies to the majority of 12 year olds, who are usually much more mature and intelligent.)
I agree,

I'm certainly not elitist enough to expect everyone to cite high-and-mighty references in their posts, comparing Days to 17th Century Russian literature or anything. But every time I post over there, I get hit with some pretty asinine replies.

Much like SOD is the mouthpiece of all EP's and HW's, the NBC boards are the mouthpiece of Days. And that's cool. It's not like there aren't plenty of other places on the web to voice your opinion. (Like... DAYTIME ROYALTY, for example) :P
Offline Profile Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 20 2008, 04:05 PM
Days4Life
Aug 19 2008, 09:19 AM
I agree,

I'm certainly not elitist enough to expect everyone to cite high-and-mighty references in their posts, comparing Days to 17th Century Russian literature or anything. But every time I post over there, I get hit with some pretty asinine replies.

Much like SOD is the mouthpiece of all EP's and HW's, the NBC boards are the mouthpiece of Days. And that's cool. It's not like there aren't plenty of other places on the web to voice your opinion. (Like... DAYTIME ROYALTY, for example) :P
I LOVE the DR! You can say whatever the hell you want here. As you can see, I live here.So glad rent is free! :laugh:

I've came to the conclusion that I will ignore my 10 day ban and act like nothing ever happened. Hopefully, this will not happen again because bias crap like that drives me crazy!
Edited by Rakesh198, Aug 20 2008, 04:30 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Well I'm doubtful NBC will do anything about this petition, but I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one NBC mod posting here as a member of DR so maybe they will see this and consider your thoughts.

I personally am not aware of the situation there now much as I stopped posting there a long time ago because of some glitch viewing it when I switched to Firefox around the same time they made the format change combined with its poor quality of discussion and oversensitive mods it just didn't make it worth my while to try to overcome those obstacles to posting there. It is unfortunate if Days makes any executive decisions based on that pitiful place.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Fancy

Implosion, I couldn't agree more!
I don't think boycotting the site is the answer though, it just gives them their way (like the children they are). We have every right to be heard! They do seem to base their s/l decisions from that site. Must be why the ratings are in the cellar.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lascuba

I checked out that board once, saw how stupidly fanbase heavy it was and noticed who was moderating, and never went there again. The fact that NBC actually read that board and takes it seriously explains why the show is so fucked up.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ponz
Member Avatar

I don't post on NBC and agree that the place is a cess pool. However, I'm a little confused about this petition. I've been told that the Lumi fanbase consists of 2 people and their multiple usernames. How can a fanbase that tiny control the message board of a major television network? :unsure:

Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

LOL! That's a good one, Ponz!
I think the two people are the moderators! :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

I've made valiant efforts to post on the NBC board somewhat regularly since that is the board TPTB examine most to gauge couple popularity, but I hate the toxic "environment" there created by some rude, petty posters. As far as the moderating, yes it can be biased. I just learned not to speak badly of certain characters (*cough*Marlena *cough*. I don't go on the board anymore, except to lurk.
Edited by DolceDiMera, Aug 27 2008, 10:07 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic