Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Berris & Renton on the writing scandal...
Topic Started: Aug 19 2008, 03:22 AM (1,527 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Daytime For Obama

TV SOAP: With the rumors that broke two weeks ago, how does the Dena Higley (head writer, “DAYS”) in-fighting with “DAYS” and all the commotion going on behind the scenes affected you?

BLAKE BERRIS: I am always the last to hear about everything. I had not been working enough. And you know 4 or 5 months ago I found out Hogan was not our head writer, and that happened 8 or 9 months ago! (He laughs). So, that shows you how much I know!

TV SOAP: What was your take on the whole “DAYS” writing scenario?

KRISTEN RENTON: In my opinion, “DAYS” is a big family and we all want the show to be the best that it can be. Sometimes as an actor, there might be a line that we want to change. We go through the writers and producers to let them know of our idea, but now if somebody is doing something else, I am unaware of it.

TV SOAP: But has this been distracting for the cast, or fodder for gossip?

KRISTEN RENTON: I think it’s both! There has been a lot of tension on set. It has gotten to the point, where at times, it’s gotten unbearable and you don’t even know where it’s coming from. You just walk on set and it’s, “Whoa!” But, when you are trying to make the show the best you can make it be, you are going to find moments like that and it comes with the territory.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Judging by the Renton quote, it sounds like the tension from the writing scandal has definitely bled over onto the set. Pretty unfortunate.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

From her quote, it sounds like Ed Scott is who saved her from being canned.

TV SOAP:
Where you surprised Morgan lasted this long on “DAYS” after the sorority storyline? You are a now a full-fledged member of the Salem canvas!

KRISTEN RENTON:
First off, I am on contract, and it’s a fantastic story! When Belle and Shawn got let go, I got nervous, because I had not been integrated into the whole storyline yet, and they were doing house cleaning. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t a dust ball! So I wrote my agent who forwarded my email to Ed Scott (exec prod, “DAYS”), which said, “How much I love my job, and I will put all the blood, sweat and tears in everyday there.” They came back with a four-year deal!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 19 2008, 03:56 AM

TV SOAP:
Where you surprised Morgan lasted this long on “DAYS” after the sorority storyline? You are a now a full-fledged member of the Salem canvas!

KRISTEN RENTON:
First off, I am on contract, and it’s a fantastic story! When Belle and Shawn got let go, I got nervous, because I had not been integrated into the whole storyline yet, and they were doing house cleaning. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t a dust ball! So I wrote my agent who forwarded my email to Ed Scott (exec prod, “DAYS”), which said, “How much I love my job, and I will put all the blood, sweat and tears in everyday there.” They came back with a four-year deal!

Yep, but Kristen is sadly mistaken if she honestly believes that a four-year deal on Days means anything.

Now that Ed's gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see her out the door, too. Especially if she's the rumored diva.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Kenny, sounds like the real drama is behind the camera, not on screen.
Edited by Red Mist, Aug 19 2008, 06:59 AM.

ges
Member Avatar

very interesting! thanks for posting.

FanODays

Kenny
Aug 19 2008, 04:01 AM
Rick

TV SOAP:

KRISTEN RENTON:

Yep, but Kristen is sadly mistaken if she honestly believes that a four-year deal on Days means anything.

Now that Ed's gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see her out the door, too. Especially if she's the rumored diva.
I seriously doubt that KR is the 'diva' in question.

I have some theories of my own and the diva is much higher up in the pecking order.

Sariah
Member Avatar

That is interesting - thanks for posting.

With Roscoe Born being fired, I am wondering whether this is just the beginning and if more actors/crew will be let go as well.

esp13
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting the interview. It's too bad that the backstage stuff has bled onto the set.

I'm pretty sure that KR knows that her 4 year deal could go away tomorrow (or whenever the end of her 13 week cycle is), but that doesn't mean that having a contract isn't better than not having one. And I'm not taking RB leaving as anything other than what they said -- storyline dictated. I don't recall the show or the actor ever indicating that this was a long-term role beyond saying he was on contract and it seems like they've been setting up the possibility of a murder mystery of sorts by giving several different people motives to want Trent gone.

darraholic
Member Avatar
#TeamBeastModePrincess

I'm not sure if Higley would cut Morgan. She seems pretty invested into the Morgan & Philip pairing.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Thanks Kenny!

KR is a good actress & I would hate to see her go.

D-Light
Member Avatar

Kenny
Rick

TV SOAP:

KRISTEN RENTON:

Ooh, I hope so!

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Kenny
Rick

TV SOAP:

KRISTEN RENTON:

A contract on Days is about as good as the paper it is written on. I doubt she is the rumored "diva", but I also doubt her email saying she would work really hard everyday is what got her to stay. If they want to keep you, they will. Being a work horse isn't going to necessarily save your job on Days if they don't want to write for your character. Ask Martha and Brandon how that worked out for them. Their characters were pushed to a front burner story on just about every day (when it shouldn't have been) when other characters were not allowed to be written for. A new team comes in and decides they don't want to write for them, so they were let go.

Not surprised the tension going on was spilling onto the set. Maybe it wouldn't haven't gotten this way if Ken was around to supervise what was going on.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Interesting...

I don't think Renton is gone. Higley seems to like the Philip/Morgan stuff. She started laying the groundwork in the Spring. I think Renton more or less just wanted to show how much she wanted to work there by sending that letter. Plus, Paul was even brought on. Renton is going nowhere.

I do find it interesting that Renton even addressed the issue. I thought she would try to sidestep it but she didn't. She more or less said there is tension but that they try to get past it. That is sad because there was never that sort of thing at Days.

Blake seems to have embraced the fact that he will never be getting the airtime he got when he first joined. Despite that, I still think he knew more then he was letting on but just wanted to sidestep the issue, which is fine. it's understandable although Renton had alot more to lose by saying something then Berris did. Berris has a primetime gig in addition to Days so he's got some things going on. Renton's dependent solely on Days. I do give them both credit for not completely dodging the issue.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting.

I have to say it will be interesting to see if the show its self looks/feels any different 3 or 4 weeks from now. I wonder if the "tension" will show in the work the actors actress put out.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I think we would be seeing it already, honestly.

I think we won't notice anything onscreen. They are all professionals and you know that the show is trying to keep as much quiet as possible, although they aren't succeeding LOL. However, they can control what gets out in an episode so i don't expect to see anything.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply