Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Rachel Melvin posts about Ed Scott.
Topic Started: Aug 21 2008, 01:34 AM (1,398 Views)
Ellie

http://rachelmelvinblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/dazed-and-confusedon-serious-note.html

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jcar03
Member Avatar

I like her analogy of a divorced parent that keeps getting remarried. This cast is constantly having to have a change in who runs things they never know what to expect.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

That was one of the best blog entries I've ever read from a star.

It's funny because normally Rachel is plucky and happy but this seemed so solemn and rightfully so.

As jcar said, this sucks for the cast to keep going through this. Yes, it's business and all but it still hurts. These are people too and that often gets lost among things. Her analogy was spot on. I also get the sense here that maybe Rachel has been reading the boards throughout this mess because she seems upset about all the rumors and all and seemed very adamant about not addressing anything. The tone was so unlike her and it makes you wonder. Plus, she had not written a blog entry in a long time. Can't blame her though. I think the reason why she didn't know what was up is because she really hasn't been on much at all.

Whatever the case, I wish her and the cast luck and hope things stabilize. This is really sad. I don't recall things on set ever being tense like that.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

That was really nice of Rachel...i'm sure many in the cast share her sentiments..Its because of Ed that she and her fellow castmembers received emmy nominations this past year..

FanODays

That was an excellent blog and I really feel for the cast and crew. Their effort to do their best comes through even though its an uphill battle given the presence of Ken Corday, Ken Corday's arrogance and Ken Corday's stupidity.

What just frustrates me to no end is that all of these changes effect me as a viewer as I just seem to be getting used to the current take on a character only to have someone high up at the show change and the character tweaked. It happened for years to Shelle, EJ's been a big victim of it, as has Sami, Marlena and so many others.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Great post by Rachel. Glad she took the time to explain a bit of what it is like behind the scenes. She does put out some insightful blogs. I am sure it is tough for everyone involved, and I feel bad for the cast that twice a year it seems they have to get used to a new writer or producer.

And this may not be the time or place, but with the clear thought process that comes across in her blogs, her writing style, not to mention grammar and punctuation, I truly doubt that she is the big coke head of the BI. All the coke heads I know have a hard time with a clear thought, and really could give a crap if they offended anyone.
Just sayin.

Days4Life

Wonderful post from Rachel. I'm impressed with how well she got her point across and expressed her feelings...you can really feel her sadness and disappointment over all the recent events. I'm glad she's got a clear understanding of what it's like to work in Hollywood. It's got to be extremely difficult for a young woman like Rachel to deal with all the craziness. I wish her good luck!

kserox10

That was a good read. Thanks

Dr. Chip

As hard as they try to churn out excellent performances, their work will still be affected by these changes. Some of us know what it's like to go through boss after boss, not knowing what the new regime will be like from week to week. There's tension, uncertainty, anxiety, etc., and then there's all the understandable complaining that goes on behind the scenes, after work, or wherever.

This show hit a slump, started in a new direction with Brash & Cwikly, plateaued and started to dip down with Higley I, received a lot of new attention and energy with JER II -- but also had to deal with the loss of beloved cast members who had been with the show for decades, then got their castmates back in a storyline that never made sense and was probably embarrassing to act. Then JER got ticked off and just didn't care anymore, and all the storylines went south. The writing stunk, the performances stunk, and the actors couldn't talk about it but obviously didn't have much enthusiasm. Suddenly, JER was gone and Hogan was in. The soap press and message boards had a field day -- after all, Hogan was going to be the messiah of daytime with his history of Emmy wins.

The cast got psyched up about Hogan, and he watched hours of old episodes and got to know the history of the characters. Each actor was able to share their take on the character with Hogan, and he excited people like Stephen Nichols, Joe Mascolo, Bryan Dattilo, etc. After a great interim period where characters just started acting normal again (via Beth Milstein's pen), Hogan took the reins and moved the show in a different direction. Things got good again and very, very interesting. There were new stories, new ideas, excited performers, twists and turns, and then . . . Tinda Lao, Touch the Sky, and a lot of other crap that came out of nowhere.

Then Ed Scott rode in to save the day. The audience was pumped, the cast and crew were pumped, and DAYS began to look, sound, and feel much, much better. Then the writers went on strike, Corday struck a deal with Higley, Corday fired Hogan, and the WGA got ticked and filed a lawsuit. Dena was back, but there was still hope and excitement because Ed was there cheering on the cast and working to produce a more excellent show. Dena's scripts were boring, Ed began to tweak them, the cast liked the tweaks, the audience liked the tweaks, Ed began to rewrite them, the cast liked the rewrites and an actress had some of her own ideas, Ed let her write her own stories, Dena happened to turn on the TV one day and watch the show for the first time, and then . . . it all hit the fan.

Ken's on vacation. Dena just walked out! Oops, the WGA is investigating. Ken's back. Dena's back. Now Ed's out, and Gary Tomlin's in.

I mean, can you IMAGINE how drained these actors and crew members must be feeling right now? The last five years have been nothing but a roller-coaster of change after change after change. I really feel for them right now.

Dr. Chip

Another thought: Think how different life was for the actors and actresses on Y&R. For decades, the man in charge essentially was Bill Bell, Bill Bell, Bill Bell, then Bill Bell, then Bill Bell again, then Bill Bell yet again. What a difference!

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jcar03
Aug 21 2008, 01:41 AM
I like her analogy of a divorced parent that keeps getting remarried. This cast is constantly having to have a change in who runs things they never know what to expect.
I liked that too. Probably very apt.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

OMG, she's the diva!!!!!11!one

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

While I'm sure some can take how upset she is over this and use it as proof to say she's the diva, I doubt it. I think there is enough hints to support who many already suspect it is. I think Rachel is just upset about the whole situation and, as Dr. Chip explained so wonderfully, all these changes the past few years are exhausting and can't be good for morale. The cast and crew know the show is in trouble so it all makes for very trying times. My heart goes out to all of them.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 11:12 AM
While I'm sure some can take how upset she is over this and use it as proof to say she's the diva, I doubt it.
LoL. Just for the record, I was kidding. ;)

zyona

Kevc1980
Aug 21 2008, 03:15 AM
That was really nice of Rachel...i'm sure many in the cast share her sentiments..Its because of Ed that she and her fellow castmembers received emmy nominations this past year..
Ed was not responsible for the emmy nominations

Ellie

Dr. Chip
Aug 21 2008, 10:46 AM
I mean, can you IMAGINE how drained these actors and crew members must be feeling right now? The last five years have been nothing but a roller-coaster of change after change after change. I really feel for them right now.
Excellent post. I really do feel so bad for them. We as the viewers often forget that the actors and crew members have to go into work and deal with these things on a daily basis. You've done such a good job describing what they must be going through, especially the fact that it's been years of ups and downs at this point.

deefanUBS

Thanks Ellie. I so agree with what she said about them getting comfortable and then changes are made. That's one of many reasons why I was so bothered by this. Some changes have been necessary, but for DAYS, changes among the execs are happing too frequently. Ed Scott was a good change. It's very sad that he had to go. :(

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

zyona
Aug 21 2008, 11:30 AM
Kevc1980
The producer/Ed helps the actors make their selections..And Ed clearly took a lot of time with the actors and helped them make the correct choices..Therefore he is somewhat responsible for Days recieving so many nominations this year..

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Kevc1980
Aug 21 2008, 05:41 PM
zyona
Kevc1980
The producer/Ed helps the actors make their selections..And Ed clearly took a lot of time with the actors and helped them make the correct choices..Therefore he is somewhat responsible for Days recieving so many nominations this year..
Plus he's got a lot of friends at CBS. It's quite possible he could have had the committee members who had an option between Days or ABC get them to vote for Days (explaining DB's nomination).
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Tripp
Aug 21 2008, 05:43 PM
Kevc1980
Aug 21 2008, 05:41 PM
zyona
Kevc1980
Plus he's got a lot of friends at CBS. It's quite possible he could have had the committee members who had an option between Days or ABC get them to vote for Days (explaining DB's nomination).
Its no coincidence that Days got its most ever acting nomination in years, the year that Ed is with the show..He is defininitely partially responsible..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply