Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
LATEST RATINGS: DAYS Sees HUGE gains; Good week for GH
Topic Started: Aug 21 2008, 08:30 AM (4,483 Views)
Tammy
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 21 2008, 10:46 PM
Tammy
Aug 21 2008, 08:15 PM
As for the writing and the re-writes, something doesn't add up there either, again at least it doesn't to me lol.

For example. I look at Bev's, Deidre Day ahead write ups and pics. She always gives the date of when the show was taped, and then the date it actually airs. So here is a prime example.

The show that aired on 08/13/08 was taped on 07/14/08... that is a month difference.

However the show that aired on 8/12/08 was taped on 07/22.

That is a weeks difference between two show that were taped, yet those two shows aired back to back.

And the show that airs tomorrow was taped on 07/30/08.

Maybe its just me and I don't comprehend this stuff right, but those tape dates seem strange lmao.
I'm not sure if this is the reason, Tammy - but I know Days will tape 6-7 shows a week sometimes, get way ahead, and then give everyone a dark week of vacation (but still tape the same number of episodes in that couple-month period). So it's highly possible that the reason why one show was taped a month in advance, and then another was taped two weeks in advance, is because the one taped two weeks in advance started right after one of their dark weeks.

Does that make sense?
^Yep that made sense to me lol. You are probably right, but those tape dates just looked so strange to me lol. :shrug:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

Tammy
Aug 21 2008, 11:13 PM
brimike
Aug 21 2008, 10:46 PM
Tammy
Aug 21 2008, 08:15 PM
As for the writing and the re-writes, something doesn't add up there either, again at least it doesn't to me lol.

For example. I look at Bev's, Deidre Day ahead write ups and pics. She always gives the date of when the show was taped, and then the date it actually airs. So here is a prime example.

The show that aired on 08/13/08 was taped on 07/14/08... that is a month difference.

However the show that aired on 8/12/08 was taped on 07/22.

That is a weeks difference between two show that were taped, yet those two shows aired back to back.

And the show that airs tomorrow was taped on 07/30/08.

Maybe its just me and I don't comprehend this stuff right, but those tape dates seem strange lmao.
I'm not sure if this is the reason, Tammy - but I know Days will tape 6-7 shows a week sometimes, get way ahead, and then give everyone a dark week of vacation (but still tape the same number of episodes in that couple-month period). So it's highly possible that the reason why one show was taped a month in advance, and then another was taped two weeks in advance, is because the one taped two weeks in advance started right after one of their dark weeks.

Does that make sense?
^Yep that made sense to me lol. You are probably right, but those tape dates just looked so strange to me lol. :shrug:
Yeah, they do look strange. My guess is the one shot two weeks in advance was just tacked on to another show, taped in the same day. A lot of shows are now doing it weekly, so they can take Fridays off in the summer time. (Taping five shows in four days) And they also need to tape extra shows so they can get ahead by Christmas, and take two weeks off for Xmas/New Years. So the tape dates always get wacky on those episodes.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rick
Aug 21 2008, 07:26 PM
Jiggs
Aug 21 2008, 07:16 PM
I'm just not going to go by what he says when it comes to this whole rewrite business with Ed Scott etc...
See that's the thing. He never claimed to know anything about Higley-gate or the rewrites that occured.

He simply stated how long it would take to show on screen "IF" rewrites did occur.
Ok, then I'm not sure why it was brought up here then.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 21 2008, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a second that this is Higley's work we've been raving about recently. Nelson even told us that Ed was responsible for it. And, as much as I love Tom, on this, I'm more inclined to believe Nelson.
Besides, why else would Ed Scott have just been fired?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Aug 21 2008, 01:49 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 01:46 PM
Ratings always plummet the week before Labor Day. People have too much going on.
LoL, I swear to God, you kill me. Always a reason, always an excuse. ;)

The ratings will plummet because the show sucks and the rise this week is a total fluke. Isn't this a .5 rise? No surprise that this comes during the time that Ed Scott's re-write material begins airing, LoL. Get a clue, Corday!

Pretty pathetic that a .5 rise only lands them at a 2.4 rating these days. Sad.
Actually, it's not an excuse or reason. It's a fact. I don't just make shit up. It's not like I work for NBC or something. It happens every year and it's even happened when the show put out good material. Back in 2006, the show had decent ratings all summer until the week before Labor Day and it tanked. That week had Sami/Austin wedding drama, Eve's murder, etc. The show then went on to provide a September full of payoffs to JER's stories. We had the Claire reveal, J&J's farewell, the Gloved hand stuff, etc and the show actually went down. This time of year is difficult because colleges are back in session and school for others soon will be. People want to squeeze out last minute vacations and enjoy the outdoors while they can.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Obviously many people just left their tvs on Days following the Olympics..But the steady 2.4's are proof that most people seemed to like what they saw and didn't tune out..I really think the fact that every day had a strong cliffhanger helped with this ratings bump..

brimike

Jiggs
Aug 21 2008, 11:27 PM
Mason
Aug 21 2008, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a second that this is Higley's work we've been raving about recently. Nelson even told us that Ed was responsible for it. And, as much as I love Tom, on this, I'm more inclined to believe Nelson.
Besides, why else would Ed Scott have just been fired?
Because someone (Higley? Draughon? Gialanella?) alerted the WGA. And once Branco made it public, Ken had to let one of them go, for fear of incuring the wrath of a union that's already breathing down his neck.

None of us have any clue how long this struggle over the writing reins has really been going on. My guess is that it was all through the strike - Ed is VERY hands on,. and he's pretty character-driven. Dena's a plot-driven writer. I'm not using "plot-drive" like it's a four-letter word here. Sometimes, plot-driven can be good. Sometimes, it can be bad. But whichever the case, Ed and Dena come from two totally different worlds, and I'd bet everything I own that they've been fighting over story from the very beginning, and the rewriting's probably been going on in one form or another from the beginning. But no one got fired until the WGA got involved and the viewing public found out about it and started ripping the show a new one.

So basically, that's now ten people who have lost their jobs... to Dena.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Too bad we can't have Phelps and other Olympians to lead in the show everyday :mellow:

brimike

DolceDiMera
Aug 21 2008, 11:38 PM
Too bad we can't have Phelps and other Olympians to lead in the show everyday :mellow:
That's a great point. The Olympics did VERY well this year, mainly because of the Phelps buzz. I remember some years the Olympics haven't been all that big with my friends and family - but this year, I don't know anybody who WASN'T following them.

Not making a sweeping generalization - I know my little segment of the world certainly isn't a fair way to judge a whole country. But the Phelps Marketing Machine definitely got a lot of people to tune in.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Aug 21 2008, 04:33 PM
Can we just be happy for the positives right now..Days had a huge ratings increase during the Olympics all across the board..Yes they will probably drop, just like NBC will drop as a whole after the Olympics are over..But Days deserves this raise and i'm happy they got..And any raise a show can get is big news right now, especially .5...I bet ABC or CBS are wishing they had the Olympics right now..

I agree. Seriously, any gains are good gains. No matter who is writing and no matter how good the show us, I think we all know the show will go down. Maybe it's just my usual deluded sense of optimism but I'm still hoping it can at least holdover some of it, maybe holding on to a 2.1-2.2 or something.

Now, about the men demo, maybe it's just leaving TV's on but I don't think that's it. Like someone said, it doesn't take much to ask someone to change the channel or to do it for one's self. That goes for anyone. I think some generally tuned in and maybe they liked what they saw since alot of last week seemed like something guys would like. Hallucinations, gas, action...it's appealing to men. I think it was both the Olympic lead in and the stories. I also think the fact that Days did some good things the week before helped too and maybe some former fans tuned in and found things recognizable and wanted to catch up with certain characters.

I also find it funny how even when some were confronted with the idea that Higley POSSIBLY could've written last week, they couldn't believe it. All that after I heard for weeks some of those same people say that if Higley put forth quality, they would praise it and give her credit. Well, the first week of August was her. That was not said to be Ed Scott by anyone. The quality was good then. Last week could've very well been Higley. I know Nelson said it was Scott but who knows. We don't know nothing for sure. The fact is the show was good and even if we had proof it was Higley some would still not give her credit even after saying they would if she did something good. It just goes to show you that no matter what some writers do, they will be hated. That's fine and I don't mind that but why keep saying you will praise what deserves to be praised when that isn't the case? Seriously, Higley can write good stuff. Remember the plane crash earlier this year? The show was pretty damn good this winter. It was the Spring where things fell off. We know Higley wrote during the strike and, sorry, but that wasn't all Hogan's outlines. I know some like to think maybe alot of it was but it could not have been. Not in my view. I also want to point out Higley did write some good stuff on OLTL too. Sure, the bulk of her tenure sucked but she was pretty good early on in her tenure but some seem to forget that.

Whatever the case, I just wish less emphasis could be put on who is writing and what will happen next week or in the future what and that we can just enjoy any positive right now. I think the soap world is such a mess right now that anything good is a blessing. I know it's important to look at the big picture and all but it's been a long time where we saw a soap do something like Days just did. Regardless of the reasons, it's a good thing and I do think it gives us some hope.

I know...I know...I'm back on my preachy, deluded optimism soapbox again. I can't help it LOL. It's just the way I am. Take anything good, run with it, and hope for the best. It's really all any soap fan can hang onto right now.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Awesome for 'Days'!!!!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Aug 21 2008, 11:33 PM
Obviously many people just left their tvs on Days following the Olympics..But the steady 2.4's are proof that most people seemed to like what they saw and didn't tune out..I really think the fact that every day had a strong cliffhanger helped with this ratings bump..
That is very important IMO. I do think the fact that the numbers stayed the same all week is a good thing. I don't think people merely watched all week by accident.

I also agree with brimike that this has probably been going on for awhile. Just look at how the show seemed hesitant to commit to anything. For example, one minute the show is shoving Chan on us and then Daniel is flirting with Lexie. No one knew what the hell was going on and then we get Chan only to see the Kate twist come out of nowhere, despite a few scenes of them that reeked of chemistry testing. Then, we get the Lucas/Chloe/Sami/EJ/Nicole/Philip/Morgan stuff. We had Philip/Chloe but then he fell for Morgan. Fine. They picked a direction there and maybe Scott and Higley agreed on that (Renton was brought on soon after Scott came on). However, the rest has lacked direction. Sami wants Lucas one day and EJ the next. Chloe wants Lucas but Lucas flips flops. EJ wants Nicole today but Sami tomorrow. Then we get hints of Nicole/Philip which are dropped early on in favor of Nicole/EJ. Then there is the Steve/Kayla/Ava mess which was all but dropped and Martino was interacting with kate, which seemed to be going somewhere, only to be dropped. I don't care how shitty one things Higley is. She has experience and I've watched both her Days tenures and her OLTL one. She would've never skipped over the Ava fallout like that. Not that blatantly. Sorry. Only a talentless newcomer to the writing world would. There have been too many shifts and, when you consider we have the same writer in place, there shouldn't be that many. It's not like the soap was changing gears as Higley was officially getting started with her stuff. This just reeks of constant in-fighting for months. They argued over vision and direction and that is why so many things went back and forth. It feels just like last summer with Hogan. I felt there may have been some conflict there too, especially with Lucas/Sami/EJ and the Vendetta. Everyday felt like a new direction.

I also agree that Phelps helped this year's Olympics but it seems the summer games always do relatively well. The storylines always seem better and more people are home. There is no school and people take time off from work for vacations and what not. I think there is just more interest in the summer games. The winter games have recently run into trouble as there seems to be less stories and less high-profile athletes. The last winter games were a bust because what big athletes the games had lost and were underwhelming. The big athletes delivered in the summer games this year so that makes a difference.

brimike

PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 11:48 PM
Kevc1980
Can we just be happy for the positives right now..Days had a huge ratings increase during the Olympics all across the board..Yes they will probably drop, just like NBC will drop as a whole after the Olympics are over..But Days deserves this raise and i'm happy they got..And any raise a show can get is big news right now, especially .5...I bet ABC or CBS are wishing they had the Olympics right now..

I agree. Seriously, any gains are good gains. No matter who is writing and no matter how good the show us, I think we all know the show will go down. Maybe it's just my usual deluded sense of optimism but I'm still hoping it can at least holdover some of it, maybe holding on to a 2.1-2.2 or something.

Now, about the men demo, maybe it's just leaving TV's on but I don't think that's it. Like someone said, it doesn't take much to ask someone to change the channel or to do it for one's self. That goes for anyone. I think some generally tuned in and maybe they liked what they saw since alot of last week seemed like something guys would like. Hallucinations, gas, action...it's appealing to men. I think it was both the Olympic lead in and the stories. I also think the fact that Days did some good things the week before helped too and maybe some former fans tuned in and found things recognizable and wanted to catch up with certain characters.

I also find it funny how even when some were confronted with the idea that Higley POSSIBLY could've written last week, they couldn't believe it. All that after I heard for weeks some of those same people say that if Higley put forth quality, they would praise it and give her credit. Well, the first week of August was her. That was not said to be Ed Scott by anyone. The quality was good then. Last week could've very well been Higley. I know Nelson said it was Scott but who knows. We don't know nothing for sure. The fact is the show was good and even if we had proof it was Higley some would still not give her credit even after saying they would if she did something good. It just goes to show you that no matter what some writers do, they will be hated. That's fine and I don't mind that but why keep saying you will praise what deserves to be praised when that isn't the case? Seriously, Higley can write good stuff. Remember the plane crash earlier this year? The show was pretty damn good this winter. It was the Spring where things fell off. We know Higley wrote during the strike and, sorry, but that wasn't all Hogan's outlines. I know some like to think maybe alot of it was but it could not have been. Not in my view. I also want to point out Higley did write some good stuff on OLTL too. Sure, the bulk of her tenure sucked but she was pretty good early on in her tenure but some seem to forget that.

Whatever the case, I just wish less emphasis could be put on who is writing and what will happen next week or in the future what and that we can just enjoy any positive right now. I think the soap world is such a mess right now that anything good is a blessing. I know it's important to look at the big picture and all but it's been a long time where we saw a soap do something like Days just did. Regardless of the reasons, it's a good thing and I do think it gives us some hope.

I know...I know...I'm back on my preachy, deluded optimism soapbox again. I can't help it LOL. It's just the way I am. Take anything good, run with it, and hope for the best. It's really all any soap fan can hang onto right now.
Just so you don't think I'm a hater, PR - I've always said Dena knows how to write fantastic "events". She reminds me of Guza in that light. Her Sweeps periods on OLTL were ALWAYS strong - Todd's execution, the Colson reveal, the prison riot. I'll give you all of that.

Hogan's outlines aired until the third week of January, and then everything since was Dena/Ed. It probably started with them as a team (I doubt they hated each other from the beginning, and in the middle of a strike, with no writing team, you've got to work together). But once the strike ended, the struggles became VERY obvious on-air. And you're right - February Sweeps was strong. I even liked the blackout. And the hospital lockdown was VERY strong. I'm not saying "If it's good, Higley didn't write it". I do think she's got plenty of tricks up her sleeve to pull in numbers when Sweeps rolls around.

I also think the fact that Dena/Victor (and then Dena/Rick) are writing all five breakdowns every week, and have been for quite some time. That has to contribute to the rewrites, as there's only two pairs of eyes writing every episode. And what started as Ed giving notes like any EP at any soap does, quickly devolved into him noting her more and more, until he was basically just doing her job.

But back to the ratings, I don't want to be misunderstood. I'm VERY happy Days got a nice bounce, and I'm sure it's what the studio needs right now in terms of good morale. Which hopefully will inspire them (the cast and crew) not to give in to negativity when they're taping stuff this week under Tomlin, and all the bad vibes in the studio right now. Whatever the reason, and whatever happens with the numbers next week, I think at the moment, Days, its employees, and its fans all needed this. You won't get an argument from me on that one. But I can be optimistic and happy, and not turn a blind eye to possible reasons why this happened. I'm ECSTATIC Days saw this raise because it shows that there's still a possibility fans will tune in, and that audience we keep saying is gone for good might not be. Does this mean I think they're going to stick around? In my opinion, no. But it doesn't mean I'm not happy for them right now, in the moment. :D

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't think August got good until the 6th. If that was Higley, then good for her. She's not a COMPLETE failure (though she's pretty damn close).

And you know, it's almost WORSE if she has the ability to write good stuff and just chooses not to versus not being able to at all. How many people get chance after chance by their boss when they're clearly doing only a half-assed job?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Aug 22 2008, 12:04 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 11:48 PM
Kevc1980

Just so you don't think I'm a hater, PR - I've always said Dena knows how to write fantastic "events". She reminds me of Guza in that light. Her Sweeps periods on OLTL were ALWAYS strong - Todd's execution, the Colson reveal, the prison riot. I'll give you all of that.

Hogan's outlines aired until the third week of January, and then everything since was Dena/Ed. It probably started with them as a team (I doubt they hated each other from the beginning, and in the middle of a strike, with no writing team, you've got to work together). But once the strike ended, the struggles became VERY obvious on-air. And you're right - February Sweeps was strong. I even liked the blackout. And the hospital lockdown was VERY strong. I'm not saying "If it's good, Higley didn't write it". I do think she's got plenty of tricks up her sleeve to pull in numbers when Sweeps rolls around.

I also think the fact that Dena/Victor (and then Dena/Rick) are writing all five breakdowns every week, and have been for quite some time. That has to contribute to the rewrites, as there's only two pairs of eyes writing every episode. And what started as Ed giving notes like any EP at any soap does, quickly devolved into him noting her more and more, until he was basically just doing her job.

But back to the ratings, I don't want to be misunderstood. I'm VERY happy Days got a nice bounce, and I'm sure it's what the studio needs right now in terms of good morale. Which hopefully will inspire them (the cast and crew) not to give in to negativity when they're taping stuff this week under Tomlin, and all the bad vibes in the studio right now. Whatever the reason, and whatever happens with the numbers next week, I think at the moment, Days, its employees, and its fans all needed this. You won't get an argument from me on that one. But I can be optimistic and happy, and not turn a blind eye to possible reasons why this happened. I'm ECSTATIC Days saw this raise because it shows that there's still a possibility fans will tune in, and that audience we keep saying is gone for good might not be. Does this mean I think they're going to stick around? In my opinion, no. But it doesn't mean I'm not happy for them right now, in the moment. :D
Brimike, I think Dena can write more then events well. I've seen some really good scenes the past few months that have had very good character stuff and while I recognize her team is responsible for that, so is she.

My post more or less wasn't pertaining to you. It was just a general observation I've been noticing. The past few months I've been in debates where people would respond "I'll call it like I see it. If the show sucks, I will call them on it. If it's good, I will praise them accordingly." Well, it's funny how some in this thread refused to believe Higley is capable of anything good when confronted with the idea that she wrote last week. It's like saying "Oh shit, what if she did write it? I'm fucked because she proved me wrong." if you don't like Higley, you don't like Higley. That's fine. It just bothers me when people say they can look past a bad writer and praise something when they can't. It's more or less a feeling of why say something like that to begin with? I mean, just say I will hate Higley overall no matter what she does and move on.

I'm not necessarily turning a blind eye. I know the reality of the situation. I just think that in this current climate we have to take what we can get and just hope we will be wrong and maybe the show will hold on to some of this. Afterall, it did after the plane crash for awhile.

Mason
Member Avatar

Why would I believe last week was Higley's when a reputable insider said flat out that it was Ed's?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Aug 22 2008, 12:07 AM
I don't think August got good until the 6th. If that was Higley, then good for her. She's not a COMPLETE failure (though she's pretty damn close).

And you know, it's almost WORSE if she has the ability to write good stuff and just chooses not to versus not being able to at all. How many people get chance after chance by their boss when they're clearly doing only a half-assed job?
That is a good point and I think that is actually the case. I do think without interference and if she actually had better breakdown writers and if she actually watched the show closely, it would be better off. I would much rather not have her at Days but I do think she can do some good things if she isn't lazy and does some of the things I've mentioned.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Aug 22 2008, 12:13 AM
Why would I believe last week was Higley's when a reputable insider said flat out that it was Ed's?
Did Nelson really confirm it, though?

I trust Nelson alot but when I read that thread it came off more like this had to be Ed because it happened a little too fast. If it was, it was. Higley still has written some good stuff at times so I know she can do it.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

brimike
Aug 21 2008, 10:37 PM
Actually, what he said was they're writing stuff now that airs in 8 weeks.

He didn't say the rewriting hadn't already been going on and building for months before Branco broke the news. I think people just assumed it all went down that week, but it was something that had been building for QUITE some time. My guess is that most of the tug-of-war has been going on probably in one form or another since Dena started in November February.
Ahhh

Thanks for clearing that up. I did assume when Nelson broke the news, it has just started occuring that week.

brimike

Rick
Aug 22 2008, 12:19 AM
brimike
Aug 21 2008, 10:37 PM
Actually, what he said was they're writing stuff now that airs in 8 weeks.

He didn't say the rewriting hadn't already been going on and building for months before Branco broke the news. I think people just assumed it all went down that week, but it was something that had been building for QUITE some time. My guess is that most of the tug-of-war has been going on probably in one form or another since Dena started in November February.
Ahhh

Thanks for clearing that up. I did assume when Nelson broke the news, it has just started occuring that week.
Yeah, it only became PUBLIC when the WGA got involved (the week of Nelson's infamous column). Who knows how long the water had been simmering before it finally boiled over that week.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply