Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
LATEST RATINGS: DAYS Sees HUGE gains; Good week for GH
Topic Started: Aug 21 2008, 08:30 AM (4,434 Views)
Tammy
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 21 2008, 11:42 PM
DolceDiMera
Aug 21 2008, 11:38 PM
Too bad we can't have Phelps and other Olympians to lead in the show everyday :mellow:
That's a great point. The Olympics did VERY well this year, mainly because of the Phelps buzz. I remember some years the Olympics haven't been all that big with my friends and family - but this year, I don't know anybody who WASN'T following them.

Not making a sweeping generalization - I know my little segment of the world certainly isn't a fair way to judge a whole country. But the Phelps Marketing Machine definitely got a lot of people to tune in.
I have to agree here. The only thing I ever really cared about , from the summer Olympics, was gymnastics. But I'll be damned if this year I didn't tune in for everyone of that mans events ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shylock

I think people should start forming a writing campaign to Corday, NBC and Sony requesting that they let Ed Scott back in and fire the wench. I'm assuming that the week of 9/1 and the spoilers therein are her garbage, so that's probably when it should start. Along with it add a writing campaign directly to the WGA asking that they punish the scab and cut Ed Scott some slack, especially with how bad of shape Days was in and the amount of jobs that are at stake if the show doesn't ship up.

Manny
Member Avatar

I don't think this rise in the ratings has a lot to do with the stories. It's more Olympics than story. So whoever wrote would maybe get a +.1 or +.2 in a normal week, but with Olympics, they got more. If it was really because of the story, the viewers won't drop off -.4 or more in the next weeks.

e83talus
Member Avatar

I think the ratings boost was a combination of people staying from the olympics and the fact that some of fans old fav's were on screen. I don't believe people would continue to watch a soap if they intended to watch sports. I know last week I watched Phelps swim at around 5:30 am NYC time (I am hooked) and Days doesn't come on until 2:00 pm here. There lead in has not changed in NYC during the Olympics, which is Martha's show.

Also how many avid olympics fans have neilsen boxes and happen to know and love Days. I know many J&M fans, Tanna fans, and Payla fans who had not been watching the show up until last week returned. I don't think they equal the entire .5 jump but I would hazard to say at least half of these viewers are Days fans who returned to see Stefano's revenge. The show has been great the last few weeks including the plot and dialogue. It all makes sense which is something that has not happened for me since february. The plane crash s/l was great in February but when the characters got back to salem they all turned topsy turvy with the following happening on screen since then:

- Bo almost dies
- Chelsea is a savior
- Patch lies to Kayla to "protect her from Ava" which leads to Hope and he geting kidnappedand then they disappear to change diapers off screen
- Kayla was turned into a wimpy crying mass of incompetence before the actors finally made the writers give her a backbone and talk about the crazy mob princess
- J&M were up and down, up & down, back & forth, back & forth (Marlena wants John, John wants power and money, Marlena wants old John, John wants power and Ava,
Marlena wants the stuipid disc to get old John, John wants the docks, crazy mob princess sex, and revenge, UGHHHHHHHHH.
- Ejami gets close, Lucas comes home, Lumi v. Ejami part 308, Ej wants Nicole, Lucas wants Chloe, Ej wants Sami, WTF?
- Chelsea is mature and Dan is immature and they are in insta-love GMAFB
- Stax Stax Stax, yuck!
- Tanna show up every now and then to let us know what they have been doing off screen

The show has seriously suffered from bad writing and character development. It is one thing for fans not to like new characters like Morgan, Daniel, Paul, Trent, or Ava,but Days has me seriously disliking John (nuJohn), for a while I disliked lying, overly protective, no job having Steve, I wanted to strangle Kayla if she cried one more time, bounce Marlena's confused head up against the nearest wall, permanently close Sami's crying mouth, and run a hit & run on temper tantrum Lucas with the same car that hit John Black in October 2007.

The last two weeks have given us more movement and development between J&M, Tanna, Ejami and Stefano since January. It made no sense in February that Tony and Ej simply sat aside and let John take over the dimera mansion and empire. It made no sense that Marlena, a psychiatrists, would keep harping on John and some stupid disc. It made no sense that John wanted absolutely nothing to do with his old life including his children and wife. So it took day over 6 months to finally bring the viewers something that made sense. Unfortunately we go back to Dansea (ughh), Stax in France (who cares), and yet another triangle for Sami and EJ.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Aug 21 2008, 01:49 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 21 2008, 01:46 PM
Ratings always plummet the week before Labor Day. People have too much going on.
LoL, I swear to God, you kill me. Always a reason, always an excuse. ;)

The ratings will plummet because the show sucks and the rise this week is a total fluke. Isn't this a .5 rise? No surprise that this comes during the time that Ed Scott's re-write material begins airing, LoL. Get a clue, Corday!

Pretty pathetic that a .5 rise only lands them at a 2.4 rating these days. Sad.
Is it, really? I think this is anything BUT pathetic because it gives "Days" a bargaining chip to show NBC that viewers STILL DO care. And that 1.8 or 2.0 doesn't have to be the norm. Soap ratings CAN rise.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

^ But this rise wasn't under normal circumstances. Obviously, the suits at NBC are gonna realize that DAYS's huge gain was a side effect of the Olympics.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Aug 22 2008, 01:58 PM
^ But this rise wasn't under normal circumstances. Obviously, the suits at NBC are gonna realize that DAYS's huge gain was a side effect of the Olympics.
Well, I had read that NBC was looking at Days' ratings during the Olympics and may have been looking at that as something key to renewing them. It makes sense considering the two weeks are not going to be counted as specials and I thought for sure they would be. The fact is that it's a rise. It doesn't matter what factored in as far as NBC goes. I don't think they care how they get ratings. It's about the fact that they did and if Days can do well for this week too, maybe NBC will start to consider doing more to help Days attract a better audience.

Anyone notice how the top 2 daytime dramas have strong lead-ins? Sure they have dropped in numbers but Y&R and B&B usually hold and are the last to drop. They are still 31 and #2 and the lead-in makes a big difference. Y&R still has PIR (and the news in some markets) and B&B has Y&R. They build into each other. The ABC soaps have nothing. Days has nothing. Days has nothing but talk shows and infomercial shit around them (at least here). Just think if Days had some sort of programming around them either after them or before them. It would make a difference. Just look at what happened here. Yes, some left their TV's on but at some point they would take them off if they weren't interested and I don't think they would sit around and watch something all week they weren't enjoying. Days got 2.4's all week. It wasn't just up and down. That is important to note IMO.

e83talus also makes a good point that Days does not follow the Olympics in every market so who knows what the deal was with those markers. I figure Days will drop but I do think they can maybe hold on to SOME of this. It did hold on to a 2.0/2.1 for a long time after the plane crash so it is possible, even if the show slows down. It as slow in parts of March and in April and May and it did well. It wasn't until June that it dropped. I think the end of summer and Labor Day works against the show though as far as holding on to more of an audience on the heels of all this.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I called a friend who works in Nashville at the local CBS affiliate and asked her if she would check Days daily ratings for last week here for me. She will do that every once in awhile for me.

Days aired one hour after Olympics go off here. Their lead in for the last few months - maybe longer has been The 700 Club - which surprisingly I was told does okay here - even sometimes tieing or beating both One Life To Live and As The World Turns in it's time slot.

Days did not go up in this market. They stayed status quo (she did not give me the numbers - her boss would fire her). She said that The 700 Club got a boost after the Olympics but slowly as the day went on TV's were changed.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I just read in the paper that women were leading in the Olympic viewing by a huge number...not so much men watching the Olympics...so for some reason, men had a huge jump in viewership at Days? I don't know what that is all about.

So some people are saying that we will see Ed's stuff in September/October? Really? And that Dena wrote the film noir and Stefano gassing? Interesting.

At this point, I don't care who wrote what. Nobody really knows and I really get the impression that everyone is just guessing.
I am just reveling in the fact that Days got some great gains and I hope it continues to improve!
Great posts all around, Pheonix. I totally agree.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Believe me, Dena didn't write the past few weeks. It's not her style.

Quotes from Erika Slezak (OLTL) about Dena Higley:

"Dena makes noises of, "Oh yes you are wonderful, this and that" and
then she writes nothing."

"She wants to write for her own characters and she wants to write
stories that she thinks are interesting but nobody else does."

"She doesn't write stories, she writes events. It's like one event -
let's have a bomb, let's have a plane crash - but there is no story."

"It's all out the window. But Dena doesn't care about the rich history
of the show, which is evident in what she writes."

Tammy
Member Avatar

Anyone wanna take bets on what the ratings will be for this week :o

It will be interesting to see if DAYS stays where its at or drops. If it stays where it is (or slightly close) does that mean that the Olyimpics weren't as big of an influence as we thought?

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Besides the Olympics the fact that the vets were on and Stefano came back probably brought up the ratings too. (I don't understand why they can't write the show this way all the time, with balance for all of the characters. Most young people who watch DOOL have grown up with the vets and enjoy seeing them too)

Manny
Member Avatar

Well this week's ratings will also include Olympics, so it's possible DAYS still gets 2.4 or something close. But next week's ratings will be the first Olympic free week, so we'll see how DAYS does next week without Olympics.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Manny
Aug 25 2008, 10:03 AM
Well this week's ratings will also include Olympics, so it's possible DAYS still gets 2.4 or something close. But next week's ratings will be the first Olympic free week, so we'll see how DAYS does next week without Olympics.
I believe that the Olympic ratings began slipping this week, so I don't expect the ratings for Days to be quite as high as they were last week.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

True. The actual Olympic ratings have gone down last week a bit as well, so DAYS might slip a bit too.

brimike

Kenny
Aug 25 2008, 10:07 AM
Manny
Aug 25 2008, 10:03 AM
I believe that the Olympic ratings began slipping this week, so I don't expect the ratings for Days to be quite as high as they were last week.
No more Phelps.

I'm tellin' ya, NBC should be giving that man a NINTH gold medal for saving their collective asses. :-)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
While that's true, no one turned off their TVs because of "Days." I think this shows that, with the right lead-in, or right daytime event, "Days" can get respectable ratings. That "Today" block ain't gonna cut it. Something in between would help.
Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

phloeishot
Aug 23 2008, 04:39 PM
Besides the Olympics the fact that the vets were on and Stefano came back probably brought up the ratings too. (I don't understand why they can't write the show this way all the time, with balance for all of the characters. Most young people who watch DOOL have grown up with the vets and enjoy seeing them too)
That wasn't balance. They focused on the hospital everyday that week (except Monday I think).

Hypnotoad

JERSoapsFan
Aug 25 2008, 01:37 PM
Mason
While that's true, no one turned off their TVs because of "Days." I think this shows that, with the right lead-in, or right daytime event, "Days" can get respectable ratings. That "Today" block ain't gonna cut it. Something in between would help.
Indeed, like Y&R or B&B if DAYS were to ever move to CBS.

Or it could air after GH on ABC and pick up the after-school crowd.

Mason
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Aug 25 2008, 01:37 PM
Mason
But by the same token, not everyone kept their TVs on because of DAYS necessarily, either.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply