Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ed Scott speaks to Michael Logan; TVG.COM
Topic Started: Aug 22 2008, 06:28 PM (3,012 Views)
hunterforrester
Member Avatar

TV Guide: Soaps News Blog
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

I don't even know what to say. I have to absorb this for awhile.

Mason
Member Avatar

God, just reading that interview makes me all the MORE upset that he's gone. Damn you Corday/Higley/Sony/NBC/Whomever!

Dr. Chip

Wow.

Thanks for sharing!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Uh-oh. I haven't even read this yet, and I'm kind of afraid to...

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

thanks nelson!

Jonatha

The link doesn't work for me.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Okay, I just read it.

How fascinating and interesting! Not to mention very telling.

Higley's ass should be the one on the unemployment line, not Scott's.

It's interesting that Corday says Ed Scott's ouster was a crucial decision that had to be made in order to reach a deal with NBC. Is it because NBC saw the struggled between Higley/Scott and freaked out? If so, once again... it should've been Higley who was shown the door, not Ed.

I'm pretty upset that Ed was blindsided, and I'm upset that he still has positive things to say about Corday. He needs to curse his name, tell him to go to hell and do the same with Higley. Call a hack a hack. Enough beating around the bush with those dumbasses.

It's also interesting that he denied re-writing Higley's scripts while going on to say that his firing may or may not have had something to do with the WGA investigation. Sounds like there's more to the story there.

What a mess.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Aug 22 2008, 06:45 PM

TV Guide

Shakeup in Salem: Was Days' Boss Fired to Save Show?

It's been a year since Ed Scott took over as show-runner of Days of Our Lives, and the NBC serial is far better looking, much better acted and infinitely more involving than when he arrived. In fact, the last few weeks have been killer. So why is he out on his ass? Scott, who helmed the top-rated soap The Young and the Restless before coming to Days, was fired on Aug. 15 and replaced by former One Life to Live exec producer Gary Tomlin.

Days owner/executive producer Ken Corday tells TV Guide he axed Scott because he clashed with head writer Dena Higley. "For me to deny there was friction between Dena and Ed would be a lie," Corday says. "There was friction and that's not a good thing for a network to perceive. It's not a good thing for the cast and crew, and it's not a good thing for the owner of the show to see." He adds that Scott's ouster "was important to the pick-up of the show." NBC has yet to renew Days after months of budget and licensing talks, but Corday says he now expects a new deal to be announced right after Labor Day.

Here, in a TV Guide exclusive, is Scott's take on the situation. Michael Logan

TVGuide.com: Your firing came as a shock to the soap world. Word is, you were surprised, too.
Ed Scott: You can usually sense when something like this is going to happen, but I was blindsided. One year ago, Ken Corday called me and said "I want to make a change" and offered me the job. One year later, Ken called me and said "I want to make a change."

TVGuide.com: So what the heck happened?
Scott: You know what? I'm not sure. But when I'm out, I'm out. If someone tells me they want a change, I'm not the type to sit there and argue or ask questions.

TVGuide.com: What about the charges that you were at odds with Dena Higley, and that you were rewriting her scripts to the extent that she took her grievance to the Writers Guild of America?
Scott: That is nonsense, a bunch of blown-up nothing. I gave notes on Dena's outlines. That's it. Take 'em or don't take 'em. That's what producer-writer meetings are about. You haggle about things, you suggest stuff, but always in the end, you let the writer do what the writer wants to do. There were never any screaming matches. Daytime drama is all about passion and purpose there will always be disagreements. I love Days and all the people there. It was a wonderful place to work and a wonderful company there's nobody there who doesn't want that show to succeed. The cast is always ready to work. There is no one big star, no divas.

TVGuide.com: Were you fired so Corday could get out of hot water with the WGA?
Scott: Maybe. I don't know.

TVGuide.com: Have you heard from the WGA?
Scott: I haven't heard anything personally. I know they [contacted] Corday.

TVGuide.com: Is there bad blood between you guys?
Scott: Whatever happened, it's not because he and I had hassles. I have nothing but respect for the guy. He has a tough job and a tremendous burden over there. The whole feeling on that set is because of him. He had to tell Frank Parker, who had just had bypass surgery, that they were killing off his character [Shawn Brady], and I've never seen a [termination] handled with such warmth, sensitivity and sincerity no bulls---. It made me respect Ken more than ever.

TVGuide.com: Under your watch, Days improved vastly on every level and you finally got the show some Emmy love. Higley's rep, on the other hand, is pretty spotty. Her run at OLTL was calamitous. She's big on the gimmicks, while characters and relationships often go to hell. So something doesn't smell right.
Scott: I am very proud of those seven nominations. I was trying to get the show to a place where we were listening to the heartbeat of the characters. It's halfway there, I think, and I'm really sorry I didn't complete the job. A soap must be character-driven. When it's right, the characters will lead you down a path of great drama. It's basic stuff. You've heard it a billion times. I just don't think people are committed to writing [about] family and real feelings and emotions. I care passionately about what I do, and Dena is passionate about the medium too. I like her very much. She's a very talented woman she's written some scenes that are probably some of the best writing I've ever seen.

TVGuide.com: Were you a sacrificial lamb here? I'm hearing there's more to this story that Sony, which distributes Days, wants greater creative involvement and that your ouster was part of that.
Scott: I'm not going to comment. You will have to do your own research on that. On one hand, I want to know what's really behind all this. On the other hand, I'll never know, so why get worked up over it? I'm getting old enough! I'm going to move on.

TVGuide.com: So what's to be learned from this hot mess?
Scott: I don't know. There was blood on the walls sometimes with [Y&R creator] Bill Bell. It happens when you care deeply. But I will tell you this: Bill Bell never compromised on quality ever. I learned that lesson sitting at the feet of the master, and I will carry it with me always.

Jonatha

Kenny
Aug 22 2008, 06:54 PM
Jonatha
Aug 22 2008, 06:45 PM

TV Guide

Shakeup in Salem: Was Days' Boss Fired to Save Show?

It's been a year since Ed Scott took over as show-runner of Days of Our Lives, and the NBC serial is far better looking, much better acted and infinitely more involving than when he arrived. In fact, the last few weeks have been killer. So why is he out on his ass? Scott, who helmed the top-rated soap The Young and the Restless before coming to Days, was fired on Aug. 15 and replaced by former One Life to Live exec producer Gary Tomlin.

Days owner/executive producer Ken Corday tells TV Guide he axed Scott because he clashed with head writer Dena Higley. "For me to deny there was friction between Dena and Ed would be a lie," Corday says. "There was friction and that's not a good thing for a network to perceive. It's not a good thing for the cast and crew, and it's not a good thing for the owner of the show to see." He adds that Scott's ouster "was important to the pick-up of the show." NBC has yet to renew Days after months of budget and licensing talks, but Corday says he now expects a new deal to be announced right after Labor Day.

Here, in a TV Guide exclusive, is Scott's take on the situation. Michael Logan

TVGuide.com: Your firing came as a shock to the soap world. Word is, you were surprised, too.
Ed Scott: You can usually sense when something like this is going to happen, but I was blindsided. One year ago, Ken Corday called me and said "I want to make a change" and offered me the job. One year later, Ken called me and said "I want to make a change."

TVGuide.com: So what the heck happened?
Scott: You know what? I'm not sure. But when I'm out, I'm out. If someone tells me they want a change, I'm not the type to sit there and argue or ask questions.

TVGuide.com: What about the charges that you were at odds with Dena Higley, and that you were rewriting her scripts to the extent that she took her grievance to the Writers Guild of America?
Scott: That is nonsense, a bunch of blown-up nothing. I gave notes on Dena's outlines. That's it. Take 'em or don't take 'em. That's what producer-writer meetings are about. You haggle about things, you suggest stuff, but always in the end, you let the writer do what the writer wants to do. There were never any screaming matches. Daytime drama is all about passion and purpose there will always be disagreements. I love Days and all the people there. It was a wonderful place to work and a wonderful company there's nobody there who doesn't want that show to succeed. The cast is always ready to work. There is no one big star, no divas.

TVGuide.com: Were you fired so Corday could get out of hot water with the WGA?
Scott: Maybe. I don't know.

TVGuide.com: Have you heard from the WGA?
Scott: I haven't heard anything personally. I know they [contacted] Corday.

TVGuide.com: Is there bad blood between you guys?
Scott: Whatever happened, it's not because he and I had hassles. I have nothing but respect for the guy. He has a tough job and a tremendous burden over there. The whole feeling on that set is because of him. He had to tell Frank Parker, who had just had bypass surgery, that they were killing off his character [Shawn Brady], and I've never seen a [termination] handled with such warmth, sensitivity and sincerity no bulls---. It made me respect Ken more than ever.

TVGuide.com: Under your watch, Days improved vastly on every level and you finally got the show some Emmy love. Higley's rep, on the other hand, is pretty spotty. Her run at OLTL was calamitous. She's big on the gimmicks, while characters and relationships often go to hell. So something doesn't smell right.
Scott: I am very proud of those seven nominations. I was trying to get the show to a place where we were listening to the heartbeat of the characters. It's halfway there, I think, and I'm really sorry I didn't complete the job. A soap must be character-driven. When it's right, the characters will lead you down a path of great drama. It's basic stuff. You've heard it a billion times. I just don't think people are committed to writing [about] family and real feelings and emotions. I care passionately about what I do, and Dena is passionate about the medium too. I like her very much. She's a very talented woman she's written some scenes that are probably some of the best writing I've ever seen.

TVGuide.com: Were you a sacrificial lamb here? I'm hearing there's more to this story that Sony, which distributes Days, wants greater creative involvement and that your ouster was part of that.
Scott: I'm not going to comment. You will have to do your own research on that. On one hand, I want to know what's really behind all this. On the other hand, I'll never know, so why get worked up over it? I'm getting old enough! I'm going to move on.

TVGuide.com: So what's to be learned from this hot mess?
Scott: I don't know. There was blood on the walls sometimes with [Y&R creator] Bill Bell. It happens when you care deeply. But I will tell you this: Bill Bell never compromised on quality ever. I learned that lesson sitting at the feet of the master, and I will carry it with me always.
Thanks, Kenny. This is all very sad.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Ed could have sat there and completely bad mouthed both Ken and Dena, but he didn't. Again it all sounds to me that Dena cried "Poor Me! The big bad producer is changing all of my stories!" and went crying to the WGA. NBC and Corday don't know what is really going on, but get scared and have to pull the trigger. Such a mess, just don't see how all of this could be good for Days in the long run.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Very classy interview.

sungrey

I am beginning to think this show may be better off away from NBC.

FanODays

sungrey
Aug 22 2008, 07:23 PM
I am beginning to think this show may be better off away from NBC.
Its not NBC its Corday. I'm willing to bet that Corday was not told that Scott had to go but he knew that either Scott or Higley had to go so of course it wouldn't be Higley. She set this whole thing up.

Scott handled that interview with class all the way down to his comments about Corday. It takes a real man to be as gracious and as complimentary to the ass who fired him as Scott is.

Interesting though, it sounds like the renewal that we had been told was a sure thing, wasn't so sure so what does Corday do? Fires the guy who has been a positive influence on the show and keep the immature child who's been ruining it for the past few months.\

I'm so fed up with this that I am tempted to turn off Days for good.

Mason
Member Avatar

You know, at first I was miffed that Ed didn't take the perfect opportunity to slam Corday and Higley, but now that I think about it, I'm glad he took the high road. It just shows how much classier he is than they.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Wow! Very intersting read.
Impressed at the positive comments Ed has about Dena and Ken...especially Ken. Dude has class...or maybe it isn't as bad as what it was made out to be. Stuff that goes on is just business.

Loved the he denied that it had anything to do with rewrites, and that the WGA has never contacted him, but only Corday. If he is being honest, then something isn't right with the previous stories. Was there never a cease-and desist letter? And funny that he mentioned there was no diva, specifically that word?
We don't know the whole story and probably never will.

Sorry to see him go. Came off as such a class act.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Ed Scott is very classy. I still find it hard to believe he was "re-writing" entire scripts. I hate Higley. I think she planned everything out to get Scott gone. Not to say he's entirely innocent in all of this.

I think Corday kept Higley because he can control her. He can't control Ed Scott. Tomlin's more of a better fit. Not as controllable but probably controllable enough.

Corday sucks. He just does. I hate him. Everyone paints him as this nice guy and he very well could be but he comes across as a total flake. A fool who has no idea what he's doing and he's been doing it, um, HOW long now?

Mason
Member Avatar

KMan101
Aug 22 2008, 08:14 PM
Corday sucks. He just does. I hate him. Everyone paints him as this nice guy and he very well could be but he comes across as a total flake. A fool who has no idea what he's doing and he's been doing it, um, HOW long now?
Too fucking long.

aimees76
Member Avatar

That was a very classy interview, but I'm confused about his denial of the re-writing ... isn't there supposed to be photographic evidence and whatnot? Oh well, whatever, I barely care anymore anyway.

Mason
Member Avatar

aimees76
Aug 22 2008, 08:19 PM
That was a very classy interview, but I'm confused about his denial of the re-writing ... isn't there supposed to be photographic evidence and whatnot? Oh well, whatever, I barely care anymore anyway.
Knowing what a crybaby Higley is, Ed probably just corrected a grammatical error in a script. :eyeroll:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply