Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ed Scott speaks to Michael Logan; TVG.COM
Topic Started: Aug 22 2008, 06:28 PM (2,984 Views)
daisysmommy

50 points to NB...and many thanks-- but, as Bela would say, I must to comment...

NBC has yet to renew Days after months of budget and licensing talks, but Corday says he now expects a new deal to be announced right after Labor Day.
Good holy hell! What planet do these people work on. Surely, it isn't Earth.

It was a wonderful place to work and a wonderful company — there's nobody there who doesn't want that show to succeed. The cast is always ready to work. There is no one big star, no divas.
Seriously, what?????????????????????? How do those words leave the mouth and travel into the air? What show did you work for?

He had to tell Frank Parker, who had just had bypass surgery, that they were killing off his character [Shawn Brady], and I've never seen a [termination] handled with such warmth, sensitivity and sincerity — no bulls---. It made me respect Ken more than ever.

Seriously, what?????????????????????? WTF??????????????????????? Am I the only one who finds this hilarious in a totally tragic way?

Under your watch, Days improved vastly on every level and you finally got the show some Emmy love. Higley's rep, on the other hand, is pretty spotty. Her run at OLTL was calamitous. She's big on the gimmicks, while characters and relationships often go to hell. So something doesn't smell right.
CALAMITY JANE!! Oh, no, Calamity Dena. Oh, wait-- just calamity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We were listening to the heartbeat of the characters."

Stop fucking around. Seriously. Did you WORK for DOOL? As in Days of Our Lives? Corday Productions? Oh, I believe you-- sincerely I believe you. I was hearing heartbeats EVERYWHERE!!!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aimees76
Member Avatar

I don't think there was anything character driven the entire time ES was on board ... I think HS's crap was crap, and DH's crap has been crap ... same old crap, different writer ... whatever.

lascuba

I know it's petty, but I am so sick and tired of everyone on that damn show kissing Corday's ass. Never even a tiny hint of criticism gets thrown his way. And him being such a nice guy--if true-- is completely irrelevant. Give me an asshole who knows what the hell he's doing over a sweet imbecile any day.

I'm assuming firing Scott is a bad decision just because Corday always makes the wrong decision, but I have to say that I didn't notice any significant changes when he joined the show. The writing was still crap, and that matters a million times more than pretty lighting.

Mason
Member Avatar

lascuba
Aug 22 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm assuming firing Scott is a bad decision just because Corday always makes the wrong decision, but I have to say that I didn't notice any significant changes when he joined the show. The writing was still crap, and that matters a million times more than pretty lighting.

In your opinion, maybe. To many of us, the show improved immensely when Ed arrived - both visually and creatively.

lascuba

Mason
Aug 22 2008, 08:37 PM
lascuba
Aug 22 2008, 08:34 PM

In your opinion, maybe. To many of us, the show improved immensely when Ed arrived - both visually and creatively.
Yeah, I thought saying I didn't notice any significant changes made it clear that I was expressing my opinion.

Seriously, what creative changes did you notice with Ed? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't read any specifics about that...just that he was such a great producer. I could never get past Hogan's or Higley's writing to notice.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

IF ANYONE believes ANYTHING these people say then you're as nuts as they are.

Kenny
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 22 2008, 09:50 PM
It's really hard to believe anything that any of them says... even Ed.

I remember him praising Dena like nobody's business a few months ago in an interview. Shit, I think the interview was with you. He talked about how Dena was writing "really good stuff" and said she was making the show "good again." Immediately, I called bullshit. And as it turns out, I was right.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ed is no innocent in this (and I certainly expected him to not admit to anything that we've heard about...why would he?) but this was still a classy interview. The way he handled himself here proves why cast and crew seem to love him. I did notice how he was subtle in throwing some jabs out at Higley, like mentioning the show still has a ways to go before being character-driven and what not. It was subtle but you could feel it.

I do think Corday cares. I think he just cares too much and, as a result, the idiot makes these dumb changes and regrets them but then realizes he's stuck with the person or persons he brought in so he tries to control them in an attempt to live with them peacefully. It works for awhile but things turn direction-less and there is a falling out followed by firings. It's been like this for years and it's a damn shame. Let's get some damn consistency!

Now, this is just my feeling, but I think Sony was calling for Ed's head too. I think things with Ed were really that bad. I like ED and want Higley gone too but two wrongs don't make a right. Just because Higley isn't good and scabbed and whatever doesn't make what Ed did right, even if he wrote better material. It just doesn't. I understand the motivation and applaud his trying to help but there are better ways. I think Sony was fed up and NBC did not want to renew a show that was already dealing with the Higley shit from the strike and now had another scandal to handle. So, Corday axes Ed and I really do expect Higley to go at some point now with the Whitesell news. I really do. I think he just wants to start anew and try to stabilize things.

I, personally, don't care anymore. I just want to enjoy my damn show. I'm almost at the point where I don't even care who is writing, directing, how pretty the lighting is, etc. I really do long for the days before the internet when all fans did was just watch and enjoy. That doesn't mean you watch when you hate what your seeing but I do think knowing more hurts viewing a show. It just does. Even on days when I enjoy any show, I find myself questioning things too much. Watching a show should not be like that. You should just sit, watch, and enjoy or feel whatever you feel without worrying about who wrote it, who directed it, or whatever. I don't think those of us who frequent the boards or hang out online can ever get a feeling like that back again but change happens, I guess.

Gregorzick

hunterforrester
Personally, I'm sick and tired of the powers that be acting like they are one big happy family behind the scenes. It wasn't true back in the day in the Cincy Soap Hood with old man (Ted) Corday and the head honchos at PGP during the glory days at ATWT and it sure as hell isn't now especially with the DAYS OF OUR LIVES crowd. Scott would have better off slinging the mud at both Corday and Higley. My gut tells me that some lawyer probably put a gag in his mouth.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I do want to touch on the point about the cast and crew kissing Corday's ass.

I think it's more or less a situation of keeping the door open in case they are fired or quit. Just look at how Days either fires people or loses them and brings them back, even if the left under bad circumstances. I never in a million years thought Missy Reeves would be back after what happened and she was. RJ was brought back twice in one year. Joe tore Corday to shreds and still came back. Sure, it's because Corday acts before he thinks but I do think he's very loyal and very nice to the people who work for him. We know he's loyal as hell to Higley, despite the problems it's causing. I would kill to have a boss like that who would make that many sacrifices for me. Yes, I know it's killing the show but if I was the one benefiting from it, damn LOL.

We hear the cast and crew talk about him positively all the time. Hell, even people away from the show for years, do the same, even if their exit was ugly. Up until recently, the atmosphere at Days was always friendly, no matter what the state of the show. This is the first time tension bled into the set the way it has (at least that we know of) and my hope is that things stabilize soon and return back to that close-knit, family atmosphere because I think Corday is the reason the place became like that and has stayed that way and I think it's that atmosphere that keeps cast and crew coming back.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 23 2008, 12:08 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I agree. You don't put that many actors and creative people together for an extended period of time without some kind of drama errupting. It's the nature of the beast. I was a theater major in college for a while (about a year until they wanted me to spend more time building sets than anything else *ugh*) and was a music major for about a year and a half (now, you *really* want to talk about egos and divas! lol). Hell, even the broadcasting department was full of people who weren't nearly as important as they thought they were.

Shylock

Everyone's that is saying that Ed Scott handled this with class needs to get a clue. That might be a small part of it, but the bigger picture is that he's avoiding stating anything negative about his employers and other staff. If he did, then he can kiss most future job opportunities goodbye. It was a smart move and I'm sure that it would leave the door open for a future job at Days (or anywhere else in daytime) if Corday/Sony would ever welcome him back after Dena tanks.

tl;dr = He's saving his own ass by being complimentary, rather than berating those who screwed him (ie. Dena).
Edited by Shylock, Aug 23 2008, 05:37 AM.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Aug 22 2008, 11:43 PM
Ed is no innocent in this (and I certainly expected him to not admit to anything that we've heard about...why would he?) but this was still a classy interview. The way he handled himself here proves why cast and crew seem to love him. I did notice how he was subtle in throwing some jabs out at Higley, like mentioning the show still has a ways to go before being character-driven and what not. It was subtle but you could feel it.

I do think Corday cares. I think he just cares too much and, as a result, the idiot makes these dumb changes and regrets them but then realizes he's stuck with the person or persons he brought in so he tries to control them in an attempt to live with them peacefully. It works for awhile but things turn direction-less and there is a falling out followed by firings. It's been like this for years and it's a damn shame. Let's get some damn consistency!

Now, this is just my feeling, but I think Sony was calling for Ed's head too. I think things with Ed were really that bad. I like ED and want Higley gone too but two wrongs don't make a right. Just because Higley isn't good and scabbed and whatever doesn't make what Ed did right, even if he wrote better material. It just doesn't. I understand the motivation and applaud his trying to help but there are better ways. I think Sony was fed up and NBC did not want to renew a show that was already dealing with the Higley shit from the strike and now had another scandal to handle. So, Corday axes Ed and I really do expect Higley to go at some point now with the Whitesell news. I really do. I think he just wants to start anew and try to stabilize things.

I, personally, don't care anymore. I just want to enjoy my damn show. I'm almost at the point where I don't even care who is writing, directing, how pretty the lighting is, etc. I really do long for the days before the internet when all fans did was just watch and enjoy. That doesn't mean you watch when you hate what your seeing but I do think knowing more hurts viewing a show. It just does. Even on days when I enjoy any show, I find myself questioning things too much. Watching a show should not be like that. You should just sit, watch, and enjoy or feel whatever you feel without worrying about who wrote it, who directed it, or whatever. I don't think those of us who frequent the boards or hang out online can ever get a feeling like that back again but change happens, I guess.
Great post! I also wonder if Edīs vison wasnīt too character driven and too real for NBC and Sony to like and thatīs why he was replaced by Gary Tomlin. Dena said in one of her blog post half of her ideas never makes it on the screen due the fights with EP, so Ed obviously had huge impact at the story projections. We will probably never discover what he wanted to do and what she wanted to do, but if there are two entirely different visions clashing all the time, it never does anything good for the show.

Anyway, from the things I read Tomlin will suit DAYS more than Scott so I donīt think the change will hurt the show. I agree with everyone I donīt want to lost the rest of Edīs team, but unless the situation is really awfull on the set I doubt anyone will want to join the uneployment line. As for Dena, I hope she is able to communicate with the new team better and stays with the show because I really think the last thing we need is another abrupt change writing wise. And I actually quite like most of her fall preview and some bold changes she introduced to the show.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Yeah becasue we should believe you, right? Weren't you the one that said Higley was fired and that alot of shit happend and that DAYS would never recover? Maybe you're the one that's nuts?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 23 2008, 06:08 AM
hunterforrester
Yeah becasue we should believe you, right? Weren't you the one that said Higley was fired and that alot of shit happend and that DAYS would never recover? Maybe you're the one that's nuts?
I don't think he said Higley was fired. He said that she quit. And for all we know, she did. Reports say that she quit and Corday managed to woo her back. I don't believe that Nelson is the only one who's picked up on this or reported it.

As for "alot of shit" happening... again, it sounds like that was true. Ed Scott wasn't fired just because Corday sneezed the long way. (Then again, knowing Corday...)

As for Days never recovering... that's a matter of opinion. To some, the show will never recover, creatively. To others, they'll accept anything the show shovels in from of 'em. It's a complete matter of opinion.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I think Ed Scott is NOT telling the whole truth.
Quote Post Goto Top

Errol

Sindacco
Aug 23 2008, 06:08 AM
hunterforrester
I hope you know that your signature bothers me, lol. I think there is a bug on my computer whenever I come across your posts.

Days4Life

PhoenixRising05
Aug 22 2008, 11:43 PM

You made some very good points here. About Corday, I believe some people just aren't cut out for certain jobs and this is a good example. In order to run this show effectively, KC needs to make good decisions and stick to them. The impression I get is that he waffles too much and isn't willing to stick to the decisions he makes (Higley seems to be the exception to this, but I do feel she's on her way out) and that's why the show doesn't have a clear-cut direction any more and hasn't for years. He seems to be easily influenced, thus all the constant changes going on. However, he seems to be a good "people person". The actors and staff love him, they always have wonderful things to say about him (even when they have just been fired), and most are willing to return to the show whenever he calls. Apparently, it's the business side of things he can't handle so he might be better off just to turn that over to his Co-EP and stay on an extended vacation, unless it's time to fire someone, which he does well, according to Ed Scott.

Since the renewal hasn't come through yet but is expected around Labor Day, I'm feeling the Ed Scott firing was probably dictated by Sony and/or NBC. They are probably after Higley, too, since they are certainly smart enough to see that she's been in the center of all the trouble for the last nine months. Corday made a huge mistake hiring her, although I believe he did so in order to keep DAYS on through the strike, and compounded it by firing the entire writing team in order to make her the official HW, and now he has a huge mess on his hands. As the common denominator, Higley has to go if peace is going to be restored.

And, yes, Phoenix, I did enjoy DAYS more before the Internet came along. Those were the simpler days!

Days4Life

jane1978
Aug 23 2008, 05:38 AM

As for Dena, I hope she is able to communicate with the new team better and stays with the show because I really think the last thing we need is another abrupt change writing wise. And I actually quite like most of her fall preview and some bold changes she introduced to the show.
I think one of the reasons Tomlin has already brought in a new co-HW is so that he can start influencing story so that when Dena's gone, the transition will be a smooth one. It will be a gradual change, rather than an abrupt "out with the old, in with the new" kind of thing.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Nice interview, but like Phoenix i don't care anymore..Even with the news of a new co-head writer..Just make the show entertaining and i'll keep watching...Sometimes i wish i was just a casual viewer like my mother, who knows nothing about the backstage happenings and just watches out of habit..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply