Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AI: Simon Hints at Big Changes for New Season
Topic Started: Aug 24 2008, 06:35 PM (304 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Simon Hints at Big Changes for New Season

"I was a little bored," said Simon Cowell of American Idol's Season 7, indicating that come January 2009, he'll be taking a larger role to change the tenor of the show. The news comes just days after Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe announced that he'd be stepping back from his day-to-day work on Idol to concentrate on international versions of his other hit show, So You Think You Can Dance.

Chief among Cowell's complaints was what he called the overwhelming media-savviness of this season's contestants. "I'm not sure that they ever showed their real personalities," he said. "They were like robots." (Nevertheless, he praised last season's runner-up, David Archuleta, on his recent success, calling him "the perfect pop star.")

So how will Cowell shake things up? "I think [last season] the talent was great, and the ratings were great, I just think it could be more interesting and controversial," he said. He specifically criticized the slow-moving middle and end portions of the season. He refused, however, to elaborate on "ideas I have to introduce more jeopardy" to the proceedings.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

He is the voice of reason on this show.

It needs to be mixed up a lot.

We didn't get to know the contestants this past season either.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Aug 25 2008, 06:46 PM
He is the voice of reason on this show.

It needs to be mixed up a lot.

We didn't get to know the contestants this past season either.
Indeed. Simon is definitely the only one who gets it. He should replace Lythgoe as producer since he vacated that position already. Simon has produced enough shows. He can handle it. I just hope we get more changes because they are needed. The show has two straight great winners and the end of last year was good but improvements are needed.

They said they are shortening the audition focus this year so my idea would be to drop in a special 3 episode week before Hollywood week that focuses on some of the lesser known successful auditions (in other words, the talented people who made it through who aren't pimped early on). Then, after Hollywood week and after the top 24 are selected, have a special 2 episode week that focuses on getting to know the top 24. One night can focus on the men and the other night on the women. Then, start the top 24 the following week as normal. Once they reach the top 12, they can even have a special week or maybe even a special 4 episode week the first week of the top 12 where the first two nights could tell us more about the 12 and the next night could be a performance show and then the 4th night an elimination show. It's not like Fox won't like it as they will want the ratings. It should fit too if they condense the audition weeks. They can just have a few more weeks with 3-4 episodes of Idol in one week. It will be worth it so people can get to know the contestants and it's better then having auditions go on for over a month. That's just my idea though.

Color me shocked that Simon praised David A. I was thinking he would forget him LOL. David A. isn't doing too bad but his single is nothing special.

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 26 2008, 01:01 AM.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Well Phoenix, Simon is right that David A. is the "perfect pop star". There are quite a few pop stars and or people that have success in music that you have to go WHY? He has the clean cut image that parents won't mind their children listening to and add the fact he has a decent singing voice. But if he doesn't grow out of that "golly geez" phase, he is going to be a forgettable teen idol. His personality has to mature to where the person we see when he sings. When he becomes an adult he can't be talking like a 12 year old that doesn't have a real concept of the real world.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Less audition episodes would be great! They focus way too much on that and I start getting bored.

Jonatha

Source: Reuters

LOS ANGELES, Aug 25 (Reuters) - "American Idol" on Monday added a fourth face to its panel of talent judges, a songwriter and producer who calls herself a "feisty" "straight-shooter" looking to crown a winner who is, above all, unique.

The Grammy-nominated pop composer, Kara DioGuardi, will join veteran "Idol" judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson for the upcoming eighth season of U.S. television's most watched show when it returns in January 2009.

The addition of DioGuardi, 37, marks the biggest format change for the series, subtitled "The Search for a Superstar," since it burst into prime time on the Fox network in 2002.

Self-assured with a matter-of-fact, no-nonsense style, DioGuardi is expected to provide a counterweight to the sometimes gushy, even vacuous on-air persona of Abdul, 46, who first gained fame in the 1980s as a pop singer.

Though hardly a household name, DioGuardi has written and produced songs for numerous recording artists, including pop stars Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilera as well as past "Idol" winners Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson, and has received several awards in recent years.

In a conference call with reporters, she noted a previous collaboration with Abdul, saying they co-wrote a song early in her career, "Spinning Around," that went on to become a hit for Kylie Minogue.

"For the past seven seasons, Paula has had to endure the experience of being the only woman at the judges table," said Mike Darnell, head of alternative programming at Fox. "With Kara by her side, Paula finally has some back-up, and now there is going to be a lot more 'girl power' on the side.

Producers will put that chemistry to its first test on Tuesday, when DioGuardi joins Abdul, Cowell and Jackson for the kickoff of auditions in New York.

DioGuardi declined to critique her soon-to-be peers but said she finds Cowell, known for giving the most unvarnished appraisals among the panelists, to be generally fair. "I think Simon is pretty spot on most of the time," she said.

The record producer and talent scout described herself as "pretty feisty" and willing to stand up for her opinions.

"I'm going to be a straight-shooter," she said. "I'm just somebody who's really honest and gives my opinion, and if I feel the need to be hard with someone in order to get that across, I will be. And if I feel I need to be softer and more nurturing with some of the contestants, I'll be that."

The most important quality she is looking for in singers, aside from a "great voice," is a style that sets them apart.

"It's not about vocal acrobatics. It's about being unique and doing things that are identifiable to you," she said. "What makes an artist is ... when their song comes on the radio, I know exactly who it is."

She said her favorite song is John Lennon's "Imagine," a tune that figured prominently in the show last season as the signature performance of young crooner David Archuleta, who was narrowly defeated by rocker David Cook in the end.

The show averaged 28.1 million viewers weekly last season, compared to 30.8 million at the height of its popularity in 2006. But the finale in May between Cook and Archuleta drew some 32 million viewers, up 3 percent from a year earlier.

Although "Idol" has featured a three-judge panel since its inception, the program was originally conceived as having four panelists, said executive producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz. The original British version, "Pop Idol," and other international editions, all had four judges.

~bl~
Member Avatar

I always want to see more of the Hollywood round. When they have group sings, I want to see more than just one or two. When AI announces their top 24, I want to have seen all of them sing on screen at least once.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply