Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Rachel Melvin blog 8/23
Topic Started: Aug 25 2008, 02:11 AM (1,199 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Saturday, August 23, 2008
"Stix" and Stones

So, I felt compelled to share this with all of you since it literally happened 5 minutes ago, and I haven't completely been able to process the actuality/reality of it. This is the kind of thing that only happens in movies...or to me.

I just went to the bank to deposit one of my paychecks. I like this bank; a few of the tellers watch the show, Darin banks here, he and I usually run into each other... overall my trips here are quite pleasant and somewhat fun. Not today. Today, a man briskly waltzed through the bank doors before me (didn't hold the door open, but I forgot chivalry is dead), and since there was no line, didn't bother to walk through the line dividers to get the front. I didn't care. It's Saturday and all I have today is dance class at 2- I'm in no rush. So I walked through the empty line dividers and took my place behind him. A shift in his body language suggested he might apologize for "cutting" me, which I had prepared my answer with a "no worries" since he walked through the bank doors before me anyway. Who cares, right? We're all going to be waited on at some point. Nope. He choses instead to say... "You know, you're really skinny, you should think about eating something. How much do you weight like 90?" I can't tell you how many, equally rude comments, flooded to my brain before I chose the politically correct, mature one to respond with. "I actually weigh 113. But thanks for assuming I don't eat, that's really nice of you to say to a complete stranger."...but oh what I could have said instead.

Now, here's the purpose of me writing this blog. Being on television or in any area of the entertainment business/medium, you're kind of under a microscope. You can't always react how you want because then it's blown out of proportion or your labeled as a kind of person you aren't. You can't act impulsively or respond impulsively to something, because you must first think of how it could be misinterpreted or negatively reflect you. Basically, every day you're forced to hold some type of emotion in- which as you might know, over time, can turn out to be a, not so good thing. As a result, I've reached my limit regarding the "skinny" thing, and felt I would share with you all my take on everyone else's take on "skinny" people.

Calling someone skinny, can be just as offensive as calling someone fat. This is lost on most of society however, because being skinny is considered, or thought, to be attractive or sexy. Here's the secret truth I'm going to share with you: Some people think thick is sexier than thin, and yeah, some people think vise versa. You cannot contour your body to make other people happy, only yourself. And some of you may know, your body won't even contour for you. We are built the way we are built, and you have to find it within yourself to own the way you look, accept it, and be proud of it.

Some of you may not know that I take pole dancing classes. The purpose of this class for me, was to gain better confidence in my body because it was my personal belief I was too skinny, and no matter how much I ate or how much I worked out, my frame would not and could not support a heavier build. Imagine how it feels to feel that way about yourself, then hear about it or read about it in the media or on message boards constantly. I'm not just speaking for myself, but for any entertainer, period. Even the worlds most beautiful and successful women are insecure about something, and to post or say rude things such as what that man said at the bank, is not only insensitive, but it's inconsiderate of someone's feelings.

I just felt I needed to put my voice out there in the world. I have been hearing comments regarding my size since I was in the first grade, FIRST GRADE, and even though I knew they were sometimes intended as a compliment, it was always initially hurtful to me. And while I am in a secure and confident place with how I feel about my body now, I know there are millions of girls and women out there who aren't. And unfortunately, there are millions of idiots out there that will think they can speak freely to strangers and voice their ignorant, rude opinions. So this blog is for women everywhere. I wanted to use this blog to tell you that no matter your shape or size, own it. You are beautiful. The grass is not always greener, and you will always be somebody's type. You must just love yourself first. Everyone deals with rude people, it's how you deal with them that makes you more beautiful in the eyes of yourself and others.

:)

http://rachelmelvinblog.blogspot.com/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alin89
Member Avatar

nice blog

Kenny
Member Avatar

Angie79
Aug 25 2008, 02:11 AM
He choses instead to say... "You know, you're really skinny, you should think about eating something. How much do you weight like 90?"
Oh wow! LoL I believe I would've kicked his balls off on the spot.

I hate going to public places where you have to deal with other people. That was one of my biggest frustrations with working retail... you don't actually realize how many rude/utterly ridiculous people are out there until you have to deal with them in exchange of money. People are NUTS!

It sounds like Rachel handled the situation well, though. But like I said, I would've kicked his balls off.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I could not even fathom saying something like that to another person, especially a perfect stranger! It makes me think of my sister and I... she is "skinny" and I am not. The other day she was bitching because she gained some weight, and I said something to the effect of "boo hoo cry me a fucking river" lmao. I guess being a bigger person, I often don't realize that perhaps a person with smaller frame might not be happy about it.
Edited by Tammy, Aug 25 2008, 03:28 AM.

Jonatha

Rachel has to grown some balls. I would have told the guy to kiss my skinny ass.

Days4Life

I love this girl! She handled that situation with a lot of maturity, too, because you know if she had treated him as disrespectfully as he treated her, some tabloid would have printed a story calling her a bitch, a mean-spirited brat, a diva, etc. And if she's naturally small framed and thin, that's fine, and I'm glad she's okay with it. As long as she's healthy and eats right, that's what is important. It's when these actresses starve and go to extreme measures to be tiny that I have a problem with their weight because then it indicates a health problem or can cause one.

Rachel, seriously, get direct deposit! I didn't know anyone still got a paper check that required a trip to the bank.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Rachel is amazing. I just wish Chelsea could be as great.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Thanks! Rachel shouldn't bother about what others think of her. Tell them to fuck off.

Mason
Member Avatar

Uh...wow.

If I were Rachel, I know I wouldn't have handled that nearly so gracefully, LoL.

brimike

This is the second or third blog of Rachel's that I feel is a completely different style of writing from the beginning. I know on the web people aren't too concerned about grammar and punctuation and all that - but the last few blog entries have been a far cry from the earlier ones that were riddled with mistakes. I don't know if she's reading more, her vocabulary is growing, she's using spell check, whatever. But I applaud it. She's digging so much deeper into her thoughts than she ever has before, and I find myself looking forward to her entries more and more with each passing entry.

Kenny
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 25 2008, 12:57 PM
I know on the web people aren't too concerned about grammar and punctuation and all that - but the last few blog entries have been a far cry from the earlier ones that were riddled with mistakes. I don't know if she's reading more, her vocabulary is growing, she's using spell check...
That tends to happen when you're secretly headwriting a show. :P

LoL, all jokes aside, I noticed the same thing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Aug 25 2008, 12:57 PM
This is the second or third blog of Rachel's that I feel is a completely different style of writing from the beginning. I know on the web people aren't too concerned about grammar and punctuation and all that - but the last few blog entries have been a far cry from the earlier ones that were riddled with mistakes. I don't know if she's reading more, her vocabulary is growing, she's using spell check, whatever. But I applaud it. She's digging so much deeper into her thoughts than she ever has before, and I find myself looking forward to her entries more and more with each passing entry.
I noticed that too. She's not really plugging upcoming stuff on Days either, which may be because of the backstage happenings. She did talk about the backstage drama in her last entry but nothing about what is coming up for her. I can see how things may be confusing with everything going on so I suspect that is a reason and maybe she's upset about Chan ending or maybe she has no idea where they are going with her or something along those lines.

She's coming off much more mature. I always felt she was mature but this past Spring, when she was pimping the Chan junk, she actually at times came off like a teenager. Now, she's coming off like a mature, responsible, intelligent, independent young woman with a good head on her shoulders. Her last blog entry and this one were wonderful. Very well-written on her part. They showed great care and I applaud her restraint. I may have lost it on someone like that.

I'm happy Rachel is happy with her body. Ali Sweeney went through a similar ordeal too. There is nothing wrong with being thin or fat. As long as your happy and healthy, who cares? Rachel had a great message here. Just wonderful.

Can't wait to read her next entry.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 26 2008, 02:10 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply