Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week Of 8/25
Topic Started: Aug 25 2008, 12:51 PM (5,158 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Aug 25 2008, 09:57 PM
I just realized I was surfing the web and settled for reruns of CSI, and totally forgot to watch my recordings of Days. What does that say???
That you forgot? :laugh: .

In all seriousness, it all goes back to what I always say. No matter who is writing. producing, directing, etc...half the audience will like it and half won't. This has been the case for over a decade now, since JER left. Even when B&C wrote, there was still alot of people who found reason to not like it. I've accepted there is just no pleasing a majority of Days fans no matter what is offered. There will always be a percentage that hates the material and a percentage that likes it and maybe another percentage where it depends on the day. If and when Higley is gone (and that day is coming), whoever replaces her will please some but will not please all. It's just the way it is, especially with Days. There are just too many people who want different things.

Now, about today, it was very refreshing. I enjoyed the past two weeks but I wanted to get back to the other stories, which were finally getting going before the Olympics. I was worried the momentum would be lost but it wasn't. Today was fast-paced and moved story while also showing fans who may have missed some aspects of the J&M stuff the past two weeks a little of what they missed, which I thought was nice.

The J&M stuff today was dull but it was more or less just easing fans who may have missed something back into the story. The flashbacks were not too bad and were cleverly chosen to highlight what needed to be. I also like how John has softened and enjoyed his scenes with Lexie too. Liked Marlena joking around with Lexie while she was testing her and I do like this twist of John pursuing Marlena and her rebuffing him.

As I said in last week's discussion thread, I am seeing signs of vintage Lucas and Sami. This custody battle thing is somewhat of a rehash but if it gives us the real Lucas and real Sami back, I could care less. Plus, the Stefano factor adds an interesting component and I was so happy to see Mickey and Maggie. Hope they continue to be involved and I love that Maggie and Lucas's close relationship is being played again. Love their talk. Loved EJ's involvement today too. Today was the first time in a long time I found myself enjoying Lucas/Sami/EJ together in scenes. It's been awhile.

Nicole/Trent was also interesting. Nicole questioning him about why Max and Melanie can't see each other caught my interest as well. I agree with Jane in that this is building to something big as we know Steve, Bo, and Hope will get involved and that Marlena gets involved with Trent too.

Nick/Melanie were my favorite part. They have a nice chemistry and dynamic. I was impressed and I just adore Molly Burnett. While this is similar to Chick, I think Melanie is much different then Chelsea in that she has more humor and the spoiled, money-hungry quotient is off the charts. She is a very fun character and was so needed. She injected life into the Paris story and, God help me, into Stax. I can't stand them together but her addition to the story has made me tolerate them onscreen. I like the tension she's introduced into their lives. I hope to see Melanie take on both Stephanie and Melanie. I did like how Nick played her. Classic Nick. Good to have him back. Glad Blake is getting good material again. I will admit that Stax's scenes were cute today and quite funny. Classic Days-like stuff and I do like that they are acknowledging the race-car history. I hated them being drivers but at least it's not forgotten. I also agree with Jane in that I'm glad the genius arc with Max is kind of being left behind. It's ok to use it but it can't be shoved in the viewer's faces. It was just too much to take at once IMO.

All in all, a good start to the week. Glad to see the other stories coming back in play. It's refreshing and hopefully the show's recent roll continues. Tomorrow looks like a great show with Bo and Hope back in the mix (Kristian looked good in the previews) and Caroline and Victor seeing some more action.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

PhoenixRising05
Aug 25 2008, 10:16 PM
While this is similar to Chick, I think Melanie is much different then Chelsea in that she has more humor and the spoiled, money-hungry quotient is off the charts. She is a very fun character and was so needed.
I've been watching only very, very sporadically, and hadn't been paying any attention to Melanie. Today was the first day I watched any of Melanie's scenes (I saw her first day but nothing since then). I thought she was quite charming, much more so than I ever found Chelsea (although I do think RM is talented, I just don't like the character of Chelsea). I agree with you that a key factor is Melanie's sense of humor. She doesn't seem to take life all that seriously (from the very little I've seen of her), and doesn't seem to have the crabby, entitled, self-pitying bitchiness that for me was always a Chelsea trademark. I think she and Nick had a fun, natural chemistry and flow to their interaction, and I'm not really a Nick fan. I could see this girl being challenging for Nick, but not ashamed of him as Chelsea so often seemed to be.

I too enjoyed Maggie and Lucas talking, although I hope Chloe/Lucas goes nowhere. I liked Maggie's brushing Lucas's hair off his face; I could just picture her asking him when he was going to get a haircut, lol.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I liked Maggie playing with his hair too. Such a cute thing and something an aunt would do. I just love seeing their close relationship on display again.

One other thing...I wish they would've kept the format we got during the Olympics for the episodes. Days always seems to use it when NBC is hosting a sporting event, clearly out of fear of a preemption or the event lasting overtime. Anyway, I like when the show comes right back after the opening instead of going right to commercial. It keeps you in the action and gives a nice flow to the episode. Days always used to do that a long time ago (think in the 80's and maybe early 90's). Most other soaps do it. I just like that format better. Plus, it allows you to show more characters early on to maybe show people that their faves are on despite not appearing before the opening. It may catch those people from tuning out or whatever. I doubt they will use it at any other time but for special occurrences, as I mentioned, but I wish they would.

Ellie

I've only had a chance to watch today's J&M scenes so far, but I really liked them! As Phoenix pointed out, the flashbacks could probably not be avoided on the first post-Olympic show, but I liked the added twist of having Marlena narrate the 'attack' flashback and describe how afraid she was. Deidre played it beautifully, and you could see the terror across her face as she described what happened. I got choked up as she cried through it. I also very much liked when John awkwardly told Marlena not to cry. Drake is playing this so well; I was picturing a teenage boy dealing with his first girlfriend, as John wiped away Marlena's tears but seemed at a loss as to how to make her feel better other than by telling her not to cry. It was such a sweet, innocent moment.

The subsequent J&M scenes were also very strong. I think it's a fun side to Marlena that she's a good doctor but a pretty bad patient. I also liked John's looking through the window at her sleeping. These 'small moments' are what's necessary to build the emotional connection between the characters.

As for Marlena's being cold to John, that doesn't bother me at all, and in fact I don't think I'd like it if she were to accept him right away. Let's be honest, he's treated her like garbage for the past few months. If she were all of a sudden to accept his interest in her without doubting him, it wouldn't make much sense. This distance on her part is necessary to build her character and ultimately bring them together.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 26 2008, 02:50 AM
I've only had a chance to watch today's J&M scenes so far, but I really liked them! As Phoenix pointed out, the flashbacks could probably not be avoided on the first post-Olympic show, but I liked the added twist of having Marlena narrate the 'attack' flashback and describe how afraid she was. Deidre played it beautifully, and you could see the terror across her face as she described what happened. I got choked up as she cried through it. I also very much liked when John awkwardly told Marlena not to cry. Drake is playing this so well; I was picturing a teenage boy dealing with his first girlfriend, as John wiped away Marlena's tears but seemed at a loss as to how to make her feel better other than by telling her not to cry. It was such a sweet, innocent moment.

The subsequent J&M scenes were also very strong. I think it's a fun side to Marlena that she's a good doctor but a pretty bad patient. I also liked John's looking through the window at her sleeping. These 'small moments' are what's necessary to build the emotional connection between the characters.

As for Marlena's being cold to John, that doesn't bother me at all, and in fact I don't think I'd like it if she were to accept him right away. Let's be honest, he's treated her like garbage for the past few months. If she were all of a sudden to accept his interest in her without doubting him, it wouldn't make much sense. This distance on her part is necessary to build her character and ultimately bring them together.
Elie,

I agree, Ilike where they seem to be going with the J&M story as well. Deidre stated in SOD a few weeks ago that her hallucination of her sister Sam would change her and I think she has. Sam asked her what will you do when your John doesn't come back? She also made Marlena face the fact that she would not be in this mes if not for John. It was and is a hard lesson but I think Marlena has finally got the message. I liked how she seemed to have difficulty even looking at John because she found it painful to see her physical husband and know this John has become a replica of Stefano who placed her in this position. I feel really bad for any fans that have not watched over the last two weeks because this has moved J&M from a point where they have not been since Marlena first left town in April. For the first time in a long time I am anticipating this storyline now.

I really liked Trent and Nicole as well. I wish they did not make him so sleazy. I mean they could have made him secretive and cold but the sleazy, skin crawl factor with his character is huge. While I am usually not a Nick fan, it was nice to finally see him with someone other than Chelsea. Stax did not interest me at all and I am ready for them to return to Salem with Melanie so we can get onwith this story.

Ellie

^^ Excellent point about Samantha. That is what triggered Marlena's new 'empowerment', and it's classic soap writing that this is happening at the exact moment that John has stopped treating Marlena so terribly. But either way, I'm very glad she still has her guard up around him, as she has ample reason to doubt his sincerity.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

OK this is kind of random and I don't feel like starting a separate thread for it... but I just saw on one of the political blogs I read that apparently Deidre Hall was attending the Democratic National Convention today. Not that it really matters no matter your political affiliation but I just thought it was funny thinking of her there in Denver given all of Marlena's trips to Colorado.

FanODays

Yesterdays show was pretty good. I love that Marlena has stopped chasing John and is taking care of herself and I really like that John is having a hard time dealing with it.

Nicole and Trent were excellent even if the character of Trent makes me want to take a shower and wipe off the slime. I will admit that just about any scene with Ncole rocks because AZ is THAT good.

It was really, really nice to see the Hortons stick up for Lucas. EJ and Sami thinking they can keep custody of Ali is a joke but its nice to see Sami and Lucas sparring again.

My least favorite part was Lucas and Maggie talking adoringly about Chloe but that is because I simply cannot stand the character.

Then they went and ruined it by showing a clip of Kate, Daniel with Chelsea skulking in the background.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Aug 25 2008, 11:57 PM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 25 2008, 10:16 PM
While this is similar to Chick, I think Melanie is much different then Chelsea in that she has more humor and the spoiled, money-hungry quotient is off the charts. She is a very fun character and was so needed.
I've been watching only very, very sporadically, and hadn't been paying any attention to Melanie. Today was the first day I watched any of Melanie's scenes (I saw her first day but nothing since then). I thought she was quite charming, much more so than I ever found Chelsea (although I do think RM is talented, I just don't like the character of Chelsea). I agree with you that a key factor is Melanie's sense of humor. She doesn't seem to take life all that seriously (from the very little I've seen of her), and doesn't seem to have the crabby, entitled, self-pitying bitchiness that for me was always a Chelsea trademark. I think she and Nick had a fun, natural chemistry and flow to their interaction, and I'm not really a Nick fan. I could see this girl being challenging for Nick, but not ashamed of him as Chelsea so often seemed to be.

Yes, I've been trying to really voice out the difference between Chelsea and Melanie and I think though old school Chelsea could pull off some hilarious scenes (I still laugh at her trying her hand at hooking), she always took herself too seriously. Even when Chick was happy together, Nick had to walk on egg shells most of the time around her and I am curious to see if Melanie, when facing personal crises, would be one to blow up outward or inward.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie

Good points.

Was anyone else reminded of the post-pit story story scenes? The way Marlena described how afraid she was of Stefano and what was going on yesterday reminded me alot of after she was rescued from the pit. She had that one scene with Roman where he turned out the lights or something and she freaked. Yesterday wasn't as dramatic but it was just as effective in terms of us getting a sense of what Marlena felt and where's she's at right now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Aug 26 2008, 04:15 AM
^^ Excellent point about Samantha. That is what triggered Marlena's new 'empowerment', and it's classic soap writing that this is happening at the exact moment that John has stopped treating Marlena so terribly. But either way, I'm very glad she still has her guard up around him, as she has ample reason to doubt his sincerity.
I agree. I'm glad they used Sam to move the story in a new direction. It shows planning and a clear direction of where they want to go, at least right now LOL. I like that Marlena is empowered and back to being feisty, independent, and strong. I know she's frightened of Stefano but it's more out of fear of the unknown and what he may do to her and her loved ones. I can see that. I like where the story is going as it now seems balanced between John and Marlena and both their feelings.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Aug 26 2008, 01:17 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IMissAremid
Aug 26 2008, 04:35 AM
OK this is kind of random and I don't feel like starting a separate thread for it... but I just saw on one of the political blogs I read that apparently Deidre Hall was attending the Democratic National Convention today. Not that it really matters no matter your political affiliation but I just thought it was funny thinking of her there in Denver given all of Marlena's trips to Colorado.
I didn't see her but I'm not surprised. She usually does campaign for elections. I've seen her in pictures in the past where she was helping out with certain candidates and I recall her indicating she was going to campaign in support of Obama.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Oh lordy I am not liking Chelsea's hairstyle, it makes her chin look weird and it also makes her look like she's 12........

Yes I'm being superficial! ^_^

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I liked RM's hair. I think she looks better short though I do agree it makes her look younger which is not a good thing for the inevitable Channage scene.

Today was really good I think. Now the Stax was not like yesterday but I think the emphasis had to be on Max and Melanie instead of Melanie/Nick. We did get a little Nick though, he was just trying to figure out why everyone was yelling. I love how in character they are making him. Of course Nick can't comprehend Melanie leaving Stax in jail to rot. Nick has always put everyone else first, and in most cases it was people he barely knew. So he can't figure out how Melanie could do the same here...should be interesting to watch them interact more.

I really did like the Chelsea/Philip scenes. It's sad they don't interact more (could have had my Philip/Stephanie then) but I grab it when I can take it. I did like how Chelsea is back to sticking her nose in her father's business.

Speaking of father figures, I thought Dan with Kate is so compelling. As pagraves said, why would we even THINK of rooting for Chan when LK and SC are so much more interesting to watch? It's such a shame they have not given LK more to do, romance wise. She and SC (who couldn't have stood any closer together if they tried) are really reving up the chemistry here so if Date is not endgame, they need to back the hell off cause I'm really liking them. And is it just me or does Daniel want Kate to admit she likes him? He's such an emotional coward, I fully expect him to want her to make the first move.

Can they not give Trent something else to do than to sit in the pub and talk to Nicole? I know we moved a bit story wise since he overheard Caroline speaking to Max but I just would like them to do something different with RB before we lose him. Maybe after Melanie comes to Salem.

Oh and the Bo/Victor conversation was nice. I wish we had more there.

jane1978

I liked the show today too. Wonderfull scene between Victor and Caroline and RB plays sleazy so well. Trent is really awfully one note character so no wonder he will leave soon, but he and AZ really plays off each other well. The France was nice too, I quess now we will see Nick and Melanie trying to made some plan together to rise the money. Btw. is there anyone who knows for what are Stax held behind the bars? First I thought it´s just temporary arrest (because it´s still the same day), but now it looks like there is some real charge too. I quess these froggies just doesn´t like some stinky americans rising troubles in their beautifull city. :)

I still cannot get used to how good Melanie Layton is. She is a newbie and this was for sure her first week in the soap acting job ever and she is already fully in the character. What a great find!

But my favorite part today were Kate and Daniel. What a chemistry and sexual tension. I loved the scene, I loved how Kate leaned closer and closer and still pretended everything is perfectly innocent. I liked the way the writers turned one the most used soap cliche (let´s talk again about that big secret we never can talk again about) and used it to move the story forward. I loved when Daniel actually started questioning Kate WHY she is doing it. Nice inner joke, especially for us who survived the years of all Reilly´s characters doing the same all the time never wondering how stupid it is.

The interaction between Phillip and Chelsea was very done too and I actually really like her new do. Oh, and Kate/Daniel hug TWO times at the end? They can hardly use the we´re just friend excuse now.

Edited by jane1978, Aug 26 2008, 03:19 PM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Tuesday seemed like filler to me. I liked Victor and Caroline, Trent and Nicole were ok - but I can't remember too much more and I just watched it two hours ago.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 26 2008, 01:15 PM
Good points.
Thanks!

Quote:

Was anyone else reminded of the post-pit story story scenes? The way Marlena described how afraid she was of Stefano and what was going on yesterday reminded me alot of after she was rescued from the pit. She had that one scene with Roman where he turned out the lights or something and she freaked. Yesterday wasn't as dramatic but it was just as effective in terms of us getting a sense of what Marlena felt and where's she's at right now.
Yes, I did think of those! I was just looking for it on YouTube to post here but it's not there anymore. (I used to have it favorited lol.) Those were very much the same type of scenes, where Marlena was in the hospital dealing with what had happened to her, and where she was so affected emotionally that we could see it reflected in her physically as well. And interestingly, the aftermath of the pit was when John and Marlena became closer, even in the hospital.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 26 2008, 01:17 PM
Ellie
Aug 26 2008, 04:15 AM
I agree. I'm glad they used Sam to move the story in a new direction. It shows planning and a clear direction of where they want to go, at least right now LOL. I like that Marlena is empowered and back to being feisty, independent, and strong. I know she's frightened of Stefano but it's more out of fear of the unknown and what he may do to her and her loved ones. I can see that. I like where the story is going as it now seems balanced between John and Marlena and both their feelings.
Agree - and I love how you put this part- that's exactly it, lol.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 26 2008, 01:15 PM
Ellie

Good points.

Ahhhh, yes, I remember that scene. Dee's acting at its best. I used to have it saved in my favs on YouTube too but it has disappeared!

Alligato
Member Avatar

I think that Nicole and Kate are being written by the same stupid woman.
Both are pretty loose in the guy department, have had multiple partners, but one time they sleep with one dude with seemingly no strings attached, and now both are acting like these guys dumped them like garbage and they are broken hearted.
Acting like they have never had a one night stand before. Like these guys owed them something.
It is out of character for both women...I think.
Did Kate and Nicole really fall in love with these guys?

I enjoyed the Melanie/Nick/Max/Steph stuff yesterday. I am so sick of Steph in that damn dress with the big ass bow. I bet she can't wait to get out of it! She's been wearing it for the past month!

Hate Chelsea's little attitude with Phillip. Who does she think she is lecturing him on what her dad did. She needs to take that crap up with her dad. I am looking forward to her finding out that Dr. Daddy, er Dan is banging grandma! I love it when Chelsea is taken down a peg.
I am not a fan of the hair! It doesn't suit her face. But hey, I've made my share of hair mistakes, so I'll let it go.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply