Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; Week Of 8/25
Topic Started: Aug 25 2008, 12:51 PM (5,127 Views)
pagraves
Member Avatar

In Nicole's defense, she tried to treat it as a one-night stand. EJ's the one who pursued her and made her think it might be more. He led her on.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I'll give you that, pa.
But she turned him down. He asked her out, told her he can't stop thinking about her, and she blew him off...even if it is because of Trent. As far as we know, they haven't chatted since she last turned him down...so he goes off and makes out with Sami and she starts on how he is as miserable and slimy as 99% of the guys out there and how absolutely mad at him she is?

I was just surprised at her loathingness of EJ after the stairwell fiasco. He didn't do anything wrong...imo. He really didn't.

esp13
Member Avatar

Alligato
Aug 27 2008, 12:21 PM
I'll give you that, pa.
But she turned him down. He asked her out, told her he can't stop thinking about her, and she blew him off...even if it is because of Trent. As far as we know, they haven't chatted since she last turned him down...so he goes off and makes out with Sami and she starts on how he is as miserable and slimy as 99% of the guys out there and how absolutely mad at him she is?

I was just surprised at her loathingness of EJ after the stairwell fiasco. He didn't do anything wrong...imo. He really didn't.
Actually, EJ and Nicole did talk about why she blew him off. She told him about Trent, told him about his blackmail and that it was Trent that forced her to stay away from him. He promised to help her and did my finding out where Max and Stephanie were and they staged the big conversation with Trent so that he would overhear. Then they had the kind of emotional talk outside Stefano's hospital room before the lockdown.

So, Nicole's got a right to be upset with EJ -- at least a little bit. He didn't do anything wrong, necessarily, but his actions (far beyond the elevator sex) had led her to believe he was moving on from Sami and was interested in her.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Wow, Jarlena took up like 80% of the show today. I liked John better when he wasn't fawning over Marlena, though I'm sure her fans are pleased. I am sorry to see they still don't have anything better for Roman to do but wait vigil near Marlena. At least Marlena admitted that Roman at one time was a very significant part of her life.

Hee, Granny sex reveal! Underwhelming wasn't it? I feel it's another good sign Chan is over since we barely had much revelation going on as well as Chelsea isn't as much devastated as she is pissed. And if I wasn't a fan of Kate before, I'll love her forever for sending a text that interrupts Chan sex.

Phorgan is back and for most of it we had stronger Morgan who I prefer. Sadly wimpy, weak Morgan showed up when she saw Paul who I'm glad to see out but how did he get out? Really the Dimansion isn't quite much of a holding cell with people that are supposed to stay locked up run away. John, Lucas, and now Paul.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Um, when has Marlena ever denied Roman's part in her life?

"Her fans are pleased"? I'm sorry, are we all one in the same? Personally I like it, though it is sudden. However, this is how the story should have progressed in the beginning.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Sweet Sauce
Aug 27 2008, 02:27 PM

"Her fans are pleased"? I'm sorry, are we all one in the same? Personally I like it, though it is sudden. However, this is how the story should have progressed in the beginning.
I didn't mean to insult you. What I mean in her fans must be pleased is it must be a relief now to see the tables have turned and Marlena isn't chasing after jawn anymore and he's chasing her.

As for Roman...yes the show has basically ignored the Roman/Marlena relationship before. I remember when "John" died, she did call John the "great love of her life" outloud to Roman and it made me go "OUCH!"

peaches179

Sweet Sauce

Thank you!

Days4Life

We had story progression today, which was nice. It gives me hope that things will continue to improve, as the past few weeks have been much better than earlier this summer. Some of these stories, like the Hollingsworth disappearance, have gone on too long and need to be wrapped up. I loved how they did the scene where Morgan saw Paul outside, with the camera looking in the window, giving us Paul's viewpoint. Also, liked the slow motion of Philip when he overheard Bo and Hope talking about what Morgan saw.

I hope this is the end to Chan, although I agree the reveal was underwhelming. What happened to the days of grand reveals, with emotional outbursts of anger and betrayal and all that fun stuff? That was always the best thing about Sami's schemes--the riproaring reveal of her lies and manipulations, like the Vegas wedding (actually, most of her weddings were great drama!). I miss that.

I really do not want to see a repeat of the Roman/Marlena/John triangle. I hope this was a red herring, just so Josh Taylor could get in a few days work.

How does John think he can keep Stefano out of the mansion, if he can't keep Paul in?

Ellie

Tripp
Aug 27 2008, 02:29 PM
As for Roman...yes the show has basically ignored the Roman/Marlena relationship before. I remember when "John" died, she did call John the "great love of her life" outloud to Roman and it made me go "OUCH!"
Well, the show has at times ignored their relationship, but the premise seems to be that Marlena loves John more now than she loved Roman then. She had to choose between them, and she picked John. So John is the love of her life, while Roman was a love of her life, if that makes any sense. And about the funeral, that didn't bother me at all. First of all, people are given a lot of leeway at funerals, and I don't think anyone would question something a widow says about her husband at his funeral. But also, Roman (at least in the past ten years or so) has been written as having accepted the fact that John and Marlena are 'meant to be' right now.

I liked today's lines in that they acknowledged Marlena and Roman's relationship while also acknowledging that Marlena moved on from it. I thought it was a very clever use of R&M's relationship to point out why Marlena felt she could move on from John now.

Ellie

About today's show - I really, REALLY liked the John/Marlena/Roman scenes. So many great 'small moments', such as Marlena's pulling off the tubes and electrodes in a fit of frustration, or John's innocently asking Marlena if the cigar smoke was the issue. John's awkwardness worked perfectly with Marlena's vulnerable state, and Drake and Deidre each played it so well. It's soap writing at its best - both John and Marlena have made decisions about how to move on with their lives, but ironically, John has decided to move towards Marlena, while she has decided to move away from him.

The Roman issue didn't bother me at all. I didn't think there were any romantic undertones to his presence today. He was there as a friend to Marlena, to help her talk things through when she was second-guessing her decision. I like how she smiled when he walked in - he was a friendly face, saving her from having to continue an extremely difficult conversation. The only problem I have is when they put the camera on him as Marlena describes that she loved him. I know, recasts are recasts, but... I just find it hard to buy into, that this man (JT) played the love of her life then.

As for the rest of the show... I didn't like it that much. I'm glad Chelsea/Dan is ending (I HOPE!). I guess the text message is a modern twist on overhearing a conversation or something like that, but I agree with the posters here who said it fell flat. I did like the Paul Hollingsworth bit at the end (and I agree, Days4Life, the slo-mo was a nice touch), but the Morgan character is getting on my nerves. I don't like all the yelling. I think she has to tone it down a bit and play some of the nuances a little. As for Bo and Hope - I wish they'd get a better story. These are two lead characters on the show, and they can carry a strong, powerful storyline. Shame there isn't one for them now.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Aug 27 2008, 11:28 PM
I guess the text message is a modern twist on overhearing a conversation or something like that, but I agree with the posters here who said it fell flat.
Yeah, this was underwhelming. First of all, it's incredibly rude to check someone else's texts or e-mails, so that alone bothers me. Plus, if they were going to do it as a text message, I'd have preferred it to be racier: "Thks for the hot hot sex, 2 bad we can't do it again, xxoo Kate." I would have actually preferred Chelsea walking in on Kate doing what she does best with Daniel, but oh well. If Chan is over I'm not going to complain how it ended.

Ellie

Paxton
Aug 27 2008, 11:34 PM
Ellie
I guess the text message is a modern twist on overhearing a conversation or something like that, but I agree with the posters here who said it fell flat.
Yeah, this was underwhelming. First of all, it's incredibly rude to check someone else's texts or e-mails, so that alone bothers me. Plus, if they were going to do it as a text message, I'd have preferred it to be racier: "Thks for the hot hot sex, 2 bad we can't do it again, xxoo Kate." I would have actually preferred Chelsea walking in on Kate doing what she does best with Daniel, but oh well. If Chan is over I'm not going to complain how it ended.
LOL! Completely agree. I had the same thought about the toned-down nature of the message itself.

daisysmommy

Ellie
About today's show - I really, REALLY liked the John/Marlena/Roman scenes. So many great 'small moments', such as Marlena's pulling off the tubes and electrodes in a fit of frustration, or John's innocently asking Marlena if the cigar smoke was the issue. John's awkwardness worked perfectly with Marlena's vulnerable state, and Drake and Deidre each played it so well. It's soap writing at its best - both John and Marlena have made decisions about how to move on with their lives, but ironically, John has decided to move towards Marlena, while she has decided to move away from him.

The Roman issue didn't bother me at all. I didn't think there were any romantic undertones to his presence today. He was there as a friend to Marlena, to help her talk things through when she was second-guessing her decision. I like how she smiled when he walked in - he was a friendly face, saving her from having to continue an extremely difficult conversation. The only problem I have is when they put the camera on him as Marlena describes that she loved him. I know, recasts are recasts, but... I just find it hard to buy into, that this man (JT) played the love of her life then.

As for the rest of the show... I didn't like it that much. I'm glad Chelsea/Dan is ending (I HOPE!). I guess the text message is a modern twist on overhearing a conversation or something like that, but I agree with the posters here who said it fell flat. I did like the Paul Hollingsworth bit at the end (and I agree, Days4Life, the slo-mo was a nice touch), but the Morgan character is getting on my nerves. I don't like all the yelling. I think she has to tone it down a bit and play some of the nuances a little. As for Bo and Hope - I wish they'd get a better story. These are two lead characters on the show, and they can carry a strong, powerful storyline. Shame there isn't one for them now.
I agree, Ellie. Dee is absolutely awesome in those scenes. She really is an excellent actress. That makes Fauxman more distracting-- he is 360-degree faux. I never even liked the dude when he was Kris.

I'm still so aggrevated by Drake's spate of interviews (prior to the most recent ones, where he sticks to the story instead of nattering on about his own self-love)...I also hate the NuJohn character so much, I can't bring myself to root for him. Plus, the hairdo doesn't help.

I hope Fri is the start of real emotional push/pull for J&M...not the hopeless pile of shit we've been given since April. Angst is fine, confusion, misunderstanding-- we've lived through years of that stuff...but isn't the show about the redemptive qualities of love? Angst and love-- that's what we should have had from the start. And screentime, dammit! Especially for Ms. D.

Separate, and potentially scary side note, since I have done my share of Higley bashing...she spoke of the Olympic stuff in a long ago blog...what if she isn't the one who's been crapping around with the key couples...what if it really was Ed Scott? What if the random elevator romps, idiot pairings, stunt casting, newbie horrors, etc. were all his dictates?

I suppose we'll see soon-- the J&M sex was filmed before Ed's departure...but we should be seeing Tomlin directed/new co-headwriter stuff on or about the second week of Sept-- so I suppose we'll see what's what then...

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Tripp
Sweet Sauce

I didn't mean to insult you. What I mean in her fans must be pleased is it must be a relief now to see the tables have turned and Marlena isn't chasing after jawn anymore and he's chasing her.

why? It's the truth. :shrug:

cassie1013

I have to concur on the granny sex reveal, talk about lackluster. First of all, the G rated text wasn't all that scandalous, and Chelsea had to do inferring - why not just spell it out? "hey dr. dan thx 4 the hot fuck see u @ 11!", or simply "chelsea can never know we had sex!" would suffice? Daniel looked like the biggest bafoon running into the hall out of nowhere LOL.

And on the topic of John and Marlena - finally, Marlena pushing John away. Marlena needs to attempt to move on and date someone else to really come full circle in this story. LOL and Roman is so desperate - that look on his face, like he thought Marlena was randomly going to "choose" him in the hospital room...he needs to get a life! He is such an opportunist - "I'll sleep on your floor" - yeah right buddy, you're just trying to get laid!
Edited by cassie1013, Aug 28 2008, 05:55 AM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
Aug 28 2008, 02:12 AM
Tripp
Sweet Sauce

why? It's the truth. :shrug:
So? Despite what people might think of Roman, Marlena knew he still had lingering feelings for her. Marlena uses Roman whenever it suits her needs for him to pull strings, but then blatantly (but with sugar) throws it in his face that he lost out with comments like that. Yeah, maybe Roman needs to get over it, but you know what? Maybe Marlena should also use some tact. I honestly don't think Roman is as horrid as a lot of people make him out to be. There have certainly been worst characters on this show. (Jett, anyone?)

I can't believe I can actually say I liked and agreed with her dialogue yesterday. Writing in a nod to the history that was Roman and Marlena is a step in the right direction, as is her finally going on with her life. So, hey, then maybe John and Marlena can grow closer together. That's fine. The thing is.....she's not going to force her will on John anymore, and I can go with that and actually compliment her. I don't know how much more I'll like her, but for me, it's a GOOD step. I don't go for this "twu wuv forevah" stuff to the extent that one side of the couple cannot see and acknowledge the flaws of the other, or realize there are bumps in every relationship. And frankly, with someone who has been married as many times as she has, "twu wuv" sort of loses its luster for me.

Now, if she'll only bring up Don Craig a time or two.... :D

Days4Life

ladyofthelake
Aug 28 2008, 06:05 AM
So? Despite what people might think of Roman, Marlena knew he still had lingering feelings for her. Marlena uses Roman whenever it suits her needs for him to pull strings, but then blatantly (but with sugar) throws it in his face that he lost out with comments like that. Yeah, maybe Roman needs to get over it, but you know what? Maybe Marlena should also use some tact. I honestly don't think Roman is as horrid as a lot of people make him out to be. There have certainly been worst characters on this show. (Jett, anyone?)

I can't believe I can actually say I liked and agreed with her dialogue yesterday. Writing in a nod to the history that was Roman and Marlena is a step in the right direction, as is her finally going on with her life. So, hey, then maybe John and Marlena can grow closer together. That's fine. The thing is.....she's not going to force her will on John anymore, and I can go with that and actually compliment her. I don't know how much more I'll like her, but for me, it's a GOOD step. I don't go for this "twu wuv forevah" stuff to the extent that one side of the couple cannot see and acknowledge the flaws of the other, or realize there are bumps in every relationship. And frankly, with someone who has been married as many times as she has, "twu wuv" sort of loses its luster for me.

Now, if she'll only bring up Don Craig a time or two.... :D
It's always frustrated me how Marlena deals with Roman. She knows he has feelings for her, but she has no problem with going to him with her problems, for a favor, for protection...that's cruel! She uses him when it's convenient for her. I know they are friends and have moved on, but the fact is that for Roman, Marlena was and still is the great love of his life. She should back off and keep him as a casual friend and that's it. You know that in the back of his mind he's thinking that sleeping on her floor could possibly end with him sleeping in her bed, like before.

Ellie

Days4Life
Aug 28 2008, 07:45 AM
It's always frustrated me how Marlena deals with Roman. She knows he has feelings for her, but she has no problem with going to him with her problems, for a favor, for protection...that's cruel! She uses him when it's convenient for her. I know they are friends and have moved on, but the fact is that for Roman, Marlena was and still is the great love of his life. She should back off and keep him as a casual friend and that's it. You know that in the back of his mind he's thinking that sleeping on her floor could possibly end with him sleeping in her bed, like before.
I didn't interpret yesterday's scenes like that, and for his part I don't think Josh Taylor played it that way at all. I think Roman was genuinely concerned about Marlena's well-being, but as a caring friend and nothing more. He wasn't the one who kissed her after she fell asleep, and he didn't even touch her throughout the scene, even when she was crying. I don't think he had anything romantic in mind at all.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Tripp

He was the greatest love of her life. You can have more than one love in your life. Marlena's had three wonderful men that she was very much in love with at the time. Don, Roman and John. Don was her first grown up, real love and he was very special to her. They were close until the day he left town (or mailed that damn letter).

Roman was different. They were passionately in love, and like Marlena said, there was not a doubt in her mind at that time that she'd love him forever. And she does, she does love him still and he's very special to her, she's always made that clear to both Roman and John. But she fell out of love with him. We saw it when Roman and Marlena came back in the early 90s. Both John and Marlena loved the people they were with, but there's a difference between loving someone and being in love with them. Marlena fell in love with John and that's something that's lasted since. Roman knows it now and Marlena has never told him anything else either.

John is the greatest love of her life, and IMO that doesn't demean what she had with Roman or Don, it's just different.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

Gotta love that Melanie called Stephanie Max's cousin, if only she knew the real truth lol. Love the little Stephanie/Nick scene. I am glad DOOL is investing in another male/female friendship. Plus, the little Mick scene was cute, they sparkled together.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply