Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tidbits from Burlington fan event
Topic Started: Aug 26 2008, 07:26 AM (3,613 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

James do have a huge fan base and if he got fired, it would hurt DOOL big.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

daysfan
Aug 27 2008, 11:53 AM
I'm not a massive fan of James/EJ, although he is okay, but I think it'd do some big damage to Days if he left. At least for awhile. Because the EJami and EJ fanbases are gigantic they'd probably revolt. I mean I feel that to be unfortunate but its just how it is IMO.
Exactly.

FanODays

cjknick
Aug 27 2008, 11:11 AM
darraholic
Aug 27 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm tired of the EJ character but losing James Scott would probably hurt.
The character of EJ is popular .... if nothing else this character has the "buzz"

Look at these sony polls!

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=120890
Which character/actor would you miss the most if they left Salem?
James/EJ is leading in the field of the younger characters ....

Phillip/JKJ 12 17.14%
Lucas/Bryan 9 12.86%
EJ/James 26 37.14%
Chloe/Nadia 1 1.43%
Sami/Alison 12 17.14%
Nicole/Ari 6 8.57%
Stephanie/Shelly 1 1.43%
Chelsea/Rachel 3 4.29%
Morgan/Kristen 0 0%
Max/Darin 0 0%

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=120658
Do you like the character of EJ?
Yes - Love Him 90 64.75%
No - Still Hate Him 37 26.62%
No opinion 12 8.63%

Similar poll for Lucas!

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=120690
Do you like the character of Lucas
YES!!!!!!!!!!! 59 45.74%
NO!!!!!!!! 54 41.86%
On the Fence..... 16 12.40%

Note that on the sony polls you can only vote once! and the Sony board has been in the past a very pro-lumi board.

My guess is that TBTP would like to keep James!

Madison's Belle and Ashford's Jack also created plenty of buzz.

For all we know NBC is going to make Days cut budgets, big time and I can't blame them. Advertising is based on ratings and with Days doing so very badly, I would guess that they are making a lot less money on them as in the past. So if cuts are needed, I doubt if anyone is truly safe.

I've never made any pretense about my feelings for EJami, I like EJ with Nicole. However, I agree that the character is neeced to help fill out that age slot especially a DiMera's. Scott's popularity should, should help him but none of us know the warped way that Corday's mind works especially if Scott is open about his dissatisfaction with the show.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 27 2008, 11:27 AM
First of all it's the Sony board, it means shit. Second, why did you post a poll about Lucas when the discussion was about James/EJ?
Sorry Sin - did I miss something - do you hate the character of EJ and like Lucas? Why the severe tone????

As far as Sony polls (well it can't be spammed) and why Lucas (just for comparison)
Edited by cjknick, Aug 27 2008, 12:47 PM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

cjknick
Aug 27 2008, 12:17 PM
Sindacco
First of all it's the Sony board, it means shit. Second, why did you post a poll about Lucas when the discussion was about James/EJ?
Sorry Sin - did I miss something - do you hate the character of EJ and like Lucas? Why the severe tone????

As far as Sony polls (well it can't be spammed) and why Lucas (just for comparison)
I hate EJ and Lucas.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 27 2008, 02:30 PM
cjknick
Sindacco

I hate EJ and Lucas.
Fair enough .... thanks for responding!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Sindacco

Actually, yes, it can be spammed. There are posters that tend to show up only for polls, then disappear. It happens with a variety of fanbases. Also, it's not that tough to come up with multiple usernames with AOL. Yes, it happens.
I don't put much stock in Sony polls at all.

cjknick
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Aug 27 2008, 10:00 PM
cjknick
Sindacco

Actually, yes, it can be spammed. There are posters that tend to show up only for polls, then disappear. It happens with a variety of fanbases. Also, it's not that tough to come up with multiple usernames with AOL. Yes, it happens.
Sony polls I think are just as good if not better than other polls - why one vote per person - you can't sit there and vote over and over spamming it - plus these threads with polls - also allow posters to post why they feel the way they do.... I tried after being banned to get another user name ... they not only shut me down they banned that user name forever.
Edited by cjknick, Aug 27 2008, 10:14 PM.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

cjknick
Aug 27 2008, 10:10 PM
ladyofthelake
cjknick
Sindacco

Sony polls I think are just as good if not better than other polls - why one vote per person - you can't sit there and vote over and over spamming it - plus these threads with polls - also allow posters to post why they feel the way they do.... I tried after being banned to get another user name ... they not only shut me down they banned that user name forever.
Were you using the same computer?
Some of these tidbits are quite different than what I've heard from others who were there, but thanks for sharing, it's interesting to see how people's accounts of the same events can vary so much.
EJ/JS is not going to make or break the show, and EJ hasn't been some ratings juggernaut for Days. However, he is my favorite character and actor so I hope that he'll continue with the show. I'll be one bummed viewer if TPTB can't work something out!
Edited by DolceDiMera, Aug 27 2008, 11:05 PM.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

cjknick
Aug 27 2008, 11:11 AM
darraholic
Aug 27 2008, 10:48 AM
I'm tired of the EJ character but losing James Scott would probably hurt.
The character of EJ is popular .... if nothing else this character has the "buzz"

Look at these sony polls!

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=120890
Which character/actor would you miss the most if they left Salem?
James/EJ is leading in the field of the younger characters ....

Phillip/JKJ 12 17.14%
Lucas/Bryan 9 12.86%
EJ/James 26 37.14%
Chloe/Nadia 1 1.43%
Sami/Alison 12 17.14%
Nicole/Ari 6 8.57%
Stephanie/Shelly 1 1.43%
Chelsea/Rachel 3 4.29%
Morgan/Kristen 0 0%
Max/Darin 0 0%

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=120658
Do you like the character of EJ?
Yes - Love Him 90 64.75%
No - Still Hate Him 37 26.62%
No opinion 12 8.63%

Similar poll for Lucas!

http://boards.sonypictures.com/soaps/showthread.php?t=120690
Do you like the character of Lucas
YES!!!!!!!!!!! 59 45.74%
NO!!!!!!!! 54 41.86%
On the Fence..... 16 12.40%

Note that on the sony polls you can only vote once! and the Sony board has been in the past a very pro-lumi board.

My guess is that TBTP would like to keep James!

These "statistics" prove nothing IMO. Are you using this as proof that EJ is more popular than Lucas? Just curious as to why Lucas' poll results were brought into the discussion about James' contract. I keep in mind that many, if not most, viewers are not voting in these polls.
Edited by DolceDiMera, Aug 27 2008, 10:57 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

DolceDiMera
Aug 27 2008, 10:36 PM
cjknick
Aug 27 2008, 10:10 PM
ladyofthelake
cjknick
Sindacco

Were you using the same computer?
Some of these tidbits are quite different than what I've heard from others who were there, but thanks for sharing, it's interesting to see how people's accounts of the same events can vary so much.
EJ/JS is not going to make or break the show, and EJ hasn't been some ratings juggernaut for Days. However, he is my favorite character and actor so I hope that he'll continue with the show. I'll be one bummed viewer if TPTB can't work something out!
I'm hearing tidbits too. Funny thing is, I was actually at the event LOL! It's interesting to hear the spin when I heard most the info first hand and witnessed some things that told me that without a doubt, James is a hot commodity.

I won't share any of the info I heard, but I will share an experience I had with some non-fanbase viewers.

I was in the bar at the Marriott hotel where the event was held, hanging out with some of my friends from FL. Anyhow, I needed to exit the bar for a few minutes. But before I could, a woman who sitting with five of her friends at a table asked me if I had been at the afternoon session. I told her that yes, I had. They were from Rhode Island, had the cutest accents (although they laughed at me for mistaking their accents for Long Island LOL and for even suggesting that they had accents -- me being from California, I had the accent). Their ages ranged from about 50 - 65 years old.

Wanna guess who the subject of their first celebrity question was?

James Scott.

"OMG, you met EJ? OMG, is he as handsome as is he is TV?"

"Is that accent real?"

"He is such a dreamboat. If I were younger . . . oh who I am kidding? My speed is more like Tom Horton."

"Did you touch him? Did he touch you? OMG!" (He did. I have the photo to prove it!)

They were acting like excited teenagers. And these definitely were not people who surfed the web. They were longtime fans of the show and they seemed to have no problem enjoying EJ or his storyline.

This conversation continued for awhile. I sat down at their table and had a great time talking to them about my experiences. I found out that most of them had been watching Days since day one. They told me about the Hortons, Doug and Julie's saga . . . it was quite fun to hear the history. Their next favorite character was Thaao. They seemed very pleased with the return of the DiMeras.

I guess the point of my post is that James is probably more popular than we on the web realize. When I returned home, every person who is a fan of Days asked me if I met James Scott. It was always the first question. And of course, they wanted to know if he was as "dreamy" in person as on television. Now I can't claim this is scientific or anything like that. Just my observation. But I can guarantee this -- there was no spamming in this poll LOL!!!

Oh yeah, to answer the question about his looks . . .how can I say this? Reports of James' physical beauty have not been exaggerated. He's stunning. And he's a gentleman. It was such a positive experience to meet him. Actually, all of the stars there were pretty cool.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

thanks for sharing, miou!

spring

ladyofthelake
cjknick
Sindacco

Actually, I don't believe ANY polls. They just aren't anything but "bloated polls"!
They are too easy to "fix". We have seen that ourselves over the last few years.
And I don't think the percentage of people who watch soaps vs one's who watch and post is very high at all. I know about 83 who watch Days, out of these--6 post, including myself. And, I only found the boards a year ago.

I know one poster who goes to all her family and uses their computers, has a e-mail account on all of them, just so she can "vote" all those times. Yea, that's really fair.

Also, on another board a whole "clan" of fans would brag about--themselves and their friends (who didn't watch) sitting and posting as many times as possible, every chance they got from sun up to midnight or after...???? Now, that's being obsessive and some good friends!! :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rakesh198
Aug 28 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Rake! I think my point was lost in this thread, but thanks for taking the time to read it.

After attending this event, it gave me a greater perspective on how things work on soaps. It's surprising how much one can learn by interacting, listening and observing. The next few months of what airs on the show should be quite instructive. ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

miou07
Aug 30 2008, 04:24 PM
Rakesh198
Aug 28 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Rake! I think my point was lost in this thread, but thanks for taking the time to read it.

After attending this event, it gave me a greater perspective on how things work on soaps. It's surprising how much one can learn by interacting, listening and observing. The next few months of what airs on the show should be quite instructive. ;)
hehehe

Can't wait!

Alligato
Member Avatar

Thanks for the info, meow! :)
I bet that there was alot to learn from the stars about how the show works and how they feel about things, and from the little I have read, I look forward to how the stories play out.

It is also weird to see what people say who were at the event and what people contradict who weren't at the event. I guess it will all come out in the end.

Thanks for sharing! James Scott was the first person I asked about when I heard someone went to Burlington! :) He is just so intriguing to me!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Alligato
Aug 30 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info, meow! :)
I bet that there was alot to learn from the stars about how the show works and how they feel about things, and from the little I have read, I look forward to how the stories play out.

It is also weird to see what people say who were at the event and what people contradict who weren't at the event. I guess it will all come out in the end.

Thanks for sharing! James Scott was the first person I asked about when I heard someone went to Burlington! :) He is just so intriguing to me!
You're welcome Alligato!

I'll give a little tidbit that has been a point of contention about EJ. Did he or did he not shoot John Black?

James said EJ absolutely shot John Black, no question. He then said that EJ shot John twice and did a detailed description of scene at the table. James does not sugarcoat his answers -- he just tells it like it is. And I appreciate that about the man. You know if you ask him a question, he will give you a straight answer. He's not the least bit afraid of playing EJ as dark or as controversial. I gotta say, that is precisely why I'm a fan of the actor and the character.
Quote Post Goto Top

pspcindy
Member Avatar

I was sitting there when James described the scene and miou is right. No excuses, no sugarcoating...as old John would say"just the facts." He loves playing EJ as edgy and does not want him to be a boring white hat.

The fact that James will not lie to satisfy the people to whom he is speaking with is a big reason that I always trust what he does say. He mentioned that magazines do misquote some things. Readers know this, but often we read a quote and get upset when it is a total chop job on what was actually said(not James' words, only mine). But one on one, James does seem to do his best to be honest. His views are interesting and he always states them so well.

Burlington was a great fan event that raised much money for the JDRF.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I heard Jame's portrait went for over $1,000. That is just WONDERFUL!!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

So, in other words, people who chose not to attend this event don't count? Is it possible that those people who like James Scott are the ones who chose to spend money on this event? That the folks who attend did it BECAUSE they liked the actors who attended?

I'm thinking that just because one went to this event, doesn't mean this is still a good demographic of opinions either way. There are folks like me who don't live close, don't have the time, money, or choose to spend their money elsewhere. So, that voice is null and void, I take it?

I will grant you James Scott is a good actor. I like his acting. I like the potential for EJole. But, these altars to the shrines of mere mortals who just happen to act on soaps really get to me. I'm sure he's a perfectly lovely person. But, he's not Ghandi. He's not going to find the cure for cancer. He's talking about his job, which, as we've found out lately, can be a temptuous as a catboat in a hurricane. (To quote Marcellus Washburn).
And, yes, I've met soap actors before.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Aug 31 2008, 05:24 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply