Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tidbits from Burlington fan event
Topic Started: Aug 26 2008, 07:26 AM (3,558 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

ladyofthelake
Aug 31 2008, 05:24 PM
So, in other words, people who chose not to attend this event don't count? Is it possible that those people who like James Scott are the ones who chose to spend money on this event? That the folks who attend did it BECAUSE they liked the actors who attended?

I'm thinking that just because one went to this event, doesn't mean this is still a good demographic of opinions either way. There are folks like me who don't live close, don't have the time, money, or choose to spend their money elsewhere. So, that voice is null and void, I take it?

I will grant you James Scott is a good actor. I like his acting. I like the potential for EJole. But, these altars to the shrines of mere mortals who just happen to act on soaps really get to me. I'm sure he's a perfectly lovely person. But, he's not Ghandi. He's not going to find the cure for cancer. He's talking about his job, which, as we've found out lately, can be a temptuous as a catboat in a hurricane. (To quote Marcellus Washburn).
And, yes, I've met soap actors before.
I apologize if you got that impression. That wasn't the purpose of my post. I was sharing my experience.

I'm a fan of James Scott. I have been from day one, I ain't going to lie. And yes, I did chose to spend my money not only to see him but to support a charity that I believe in. I think it's amazing that he has been able to weather many storms and last on a show infamous for getting rid of people at the first hint of controversy.

I didn't say he was going to cure cancer or that he was Ghandi. But was I excited to meet him? Of course! I'm a soap fan and I think he's fantastic actor (my own opinion, I don't expect anyone else to share it) and I think he's a damned fine looking man. I gushed about him. I kind of thought that's what fans generally do, get happy to meet the ones they adore on a television show. I've gushed elsewhere about meeting Thaao, Brandon, Bryan, Darin, Matt and Lauren (I didn't get a chance to meet Nadia unfortunately). This was my first encounter with soap actors, but not my first encounter a celebrity event. I attended the Kennedy Center Honors a few years back and met a few people in the biz and I have a relative who is a high-profile person in business and philanthropy, so I do have a teeny bit of a handle on reality believe it or not. But the soap event was a far more approachable situation from a fan point of view than the other event.

I did say, I think I did at least, that my conversation with other fans was not scientific. It was my observation. I posted it here so it's up for anyone to question it. If I went overboard, sorry, but I couldn't help it. I'm a fan.

But no, I wasn't trying to say that opinions posted online aren't as important, or null and void, as those expressed by offline viewers. Maybe it read that way, but again, it wasn't my intent. It's hard to know what is the right thing say. Perhaps the best route is to keep my opinions to myself.

I do plan to attend another event in the future because this one was so fun. But I'll refrain from posting about it, at least here. I had a great time. That's the short story.
Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

miou07
Aug 31 2008, 06:36 PM
ladyofthelake
So, in other words, people who chose not to attend this event don't count? Is it possible that those people who like James Scott are the ones who chose to spend money on this event? That the folks who attend did it BECAUSE they liked the actors who attended?

I'm thinking that just because one went to this event, doesn't mean this is still a good demographic of opinions either way. There are folks like me who don't live close, don't have the time, money, or choose to spend their money elsewhere. So, that voice is null and void, I take it?

I will grant you James Scott is a good actor. I like his acting. I like the potential for EJole. But, these altars to the shrines of mere mortals who just happen to act on soaps really get to me. I'm sure he's a perfectly lovely person. But, he's not Ghandi. He's not going to find the cure for cancer. He's talking about his job, which, as we've found out lately, can be a temptuous as a catboat in a hurricane. (To quote Marcellus Washburn).
I apologize if you got that impression. That wasn't the purpose of my post. I was sharing my experience.

I'm a fan of James Scott. I have been from day one, I ain't going to lie. And yes, I did chose to spend my money not only to see him but to support a charity that I believe in. I think it's amazing that he has been able to weather many storms and last on a show infamous for getting rid of people at the first hint of controversy.

I didn't say he was going to cure cancer or that he was Ghandi. But was I excited to meet him? Of course! I'm a soap fan and I think he's fantastic actor (my own opinion, I don't expect anyone else to share it) and I think he's a damned fine looking man. I gushed about him. I kind of thought that's what fans generally do, get happy to meet the ones they adore on a television show. I've gushed elsewhere about meeting Thaao, Brandon, Bryan, Darin, Matt and Lauren (I didn't get a chance to meet Nadia unfortunately). This was my first encounter with soap actors, but not my first encounter a celebrity event. I attended the Kennedy Center Honors a few years back and met a few people in the biz and I have a relative who is a high-profile person in business and philanthropy, so I do have a teeny bit of a handle on reality believe it or not. But the soap event was a far more approachable situation from a fan point of view than the other event.

I did say, I think I did at least, that my conversation with other fans was not scientific. It was my observation. I posted it here so it's up for anyone to question it. If I went overboard, sorry, but I couldn't help it. I'm a fan.

But no, I wasn't trying to say that opinions posted online aren't as important, or null and void, as those expressed by offline viewers. Maybe it read that way, but again, it wasn't my intent. It's hard to know what is the right thing say. Perhaps the best route is to keep my opinions to myself.

I do plan to attend another event in the future because this one was so fun. But I'll refrain from posting about it, at least here. I had a great time. That's the short story.
Please continue to post I enjoy hearing about your experience .... Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

To everyone who attended and posted, thanks for sharing your Burlington tidbits. Sounds like it was alot of fun. :)

Miou, I hope if you attend another event you won't be discouraged and will post here again with any of your observations/insights. I thought that was one of the functions of a message board, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

mbdimera
Aug 31 2008, 07:17 PM
To everyone who attended and posted, thanks for sharing your Burlington tidbits. Sounds like it was alot of fun. :)

Miou, I hope if you attend another event you won't be discouraged and will post here again with any of your observations/insights. I thought that was one of the functions of a message board, but maybe I'm mistaken.
ITA!!!

Days4Life

I enjoy hearing people's experiences from the fan events so I hope you all keep posting! Of course, you view the events through your own filter because of your favorites, and that's fine and to be expected. Gush all you want about James, Bryan, Thaao, whoever....that's the fun of these events, where you get to meet the actors in person. And honestly, it's very hard to gauge the popularity of any one person with Internet polls or reaction from fan events because it represents just a small portion of the viewers. I'm sure James Scott is very popular across the board because he's classic leading man material, but I'm also sure Bryan, JKJ, Peter and all the other guys have a huge number of fans. Same with the ladies....I myself have always loved the character of Sami, but I have been amazed to talk to friends and family who watch DAYS and hate her--and I mean really hate her, not love to hate her. And during the Kristen/Marlena rivalry, my mom, a dedicated Marlena fan from the time the character was first introduced, was appalled that I was a huge Kristen fan and the more trouble she caused, the more I loved her. So, as they say, different strokes for different folks!

Please, all of you keep posting your stories and tidbits from the events because I will probably never attend one, but I love to hear about them. I'm living vicariously through all of you!

Deleted User
Deleted User

OK, you all convinced me. :)

I'll post some tidbits that aren't controversial or dishy:

- Brandon Beemer tried his best to convince me to watch "the Bold and the Beautiful." I told him that I did not do CBS soaps. He said, "Come on, you have to watch, I'm in jail!" LOL

- I found out that Lauren Koslow's favorite David Bowie period is the Thin White Duke. She gushed about Bowie like a true fan girl.

- Thaao said he can't decide who he likes to play more, Tony or Andre.

- Matt is working on an independent film. He recently completely another - I think it was a horror movie. Sounded like the kind that went straight to video. He wants to return to Days.

- Bryan is a fan of "old school" rap.

- Darin Brooks is very handsome in person. He reminded me of the BMOC (Big Man on Campus) in high school. The guy who could charm all of the ladies with a smile.

- And, I finally found out what part James Scott played on the UK soap EastEnders. About eight years ago, he played a character named, of all things, Scott. I actually stumped him during the question and answer session with this one because there were other details that I questioned him about that he could not remember. Got a good laugh out of it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

miou07
Aug 31 2008, 10:00 PM

- Brandon Beemer tried his best to convince me to watch "the Bold and the Beautiful." I told him that I did not do CBS soaps. He said, "Come on, you have to watch, I'm in jail!" LOL

- I found out that Lauren Koslow's favorite David Bowie period is the Thin White Duke. She gushed about Bowie like a true fan girl.

- Matt is working on an independent film. He recently completely another - I think it was a horror movie. Sounded like the kind that went straight to video. He wants to return to Days.

- And, I finally found out what part James Scott played on the UK soap EastEnders. About eight years ago, he played a character named, of all things, Scott. I actually stumped him during the question and answer session with this one because there were other details that I questioned him about that he could not remember. Got a good laugh out of it.
Thanks Miou!

That's funny that James played Scott on EE.

B&B is okay right now. You should watch it. You can always watch it online. It's only 20 mins online. lol

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rakesh198
Aug 31 2008, 10:03 PM
miou07

Thanks Miou!

B&B is okay right now. You should watch it. You can always watch it online. It's only 20 mins online. lol
I should watch it. I did promise him that I would. You'll have to PM the link to me!
Quote Post Goto Top

ginababe
BANNED

Miou, there is no need for you to stop posting, i didn't see any problem w/ what you said, and for those that did, I suppose is their problem, perhaps they have a chip on their shoulder about something else that ultimately has nothing to do w/ you or your post, so keep on posting, Miou!!! :D :hug:
Edited by ginababe, Aug 31 2008, 10:18 PM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

miou07
Aug 31 2008, 10:05 PM
Rakesh198
Aug 31 2008, 10:03 PM
miou07

Thanks Miou!

I should watch it. I did promise him that I would. You'll have to PM the link to me!
Check your PM! :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks Rake! That's too cool for them to have the episodes posted like that.

BTW, Brandon told me that he didn't do it, whatever that means. :D

And Gina, ::hugs:: back to you!
Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

miou07
Aug 31 2008, 10:16 PM

Yep! It was Pam who poisoned Eric. She then went on to try and kill Donna. Luckily, Owen(BB) saved her. Eric is in a comma, btw. I last saw Donna(Eric's wife) & Owen kissing. That was after he saved her life. Things are going to get interesting...

Spoiler: click to toggle

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rakesh198
Aug 31 2008, 10:23 PM
miou07

Yep! It was Pam who poisoned Eric. She then went on to try and kill Donna. Luckily, Owen(BB) saved her. Eric is in a comma, btw. I last saw Donna(Eric's wife) & Owen kissing. That was after he saved her life. Things are going to get interesting...

Geez, that actually sounds good. I'm serious, I am going to watch.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

miou07
Aug 31 2008, 10:25 PM
Rakesh198
Aug 31 2008, 10:23 PM
miou07

Geez, that actually sounds good. I'm serious, I am going to watch.
Good! Looking forward to discussing B&B with you. :cheers:

imissstefano
Member Avatar

cjknick
Aug 31 2008, 06:58 PM
miou07
ladyofthelake

Please continue to post I enjoy hearing about your experience .... Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!
I agree 100%. I always enjoy hearing of other people's experiences at fan events, even if I disagree on the abilities of the actor. Don't let the crankies drag you down, ignore those that try to harass you. :)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

imissstefano
Aug 31 2008, 11:22 PM
cjknick
Aug 31 2008, 06:58 PM
miou07
ladyofthelake

I agree 100%. I always enjoy hearing of other people's experiences at fan events, even if I disagree on the abilities of the actor. Don't let the crankies drag you down, ignore those that try to harass you. :)
Ah, Imiss, I love your impartial, unbiased, nonhypocritcal comments.................. :D :laugh: :biggrin:
Edited by ladyofthelake, Sep 1 2008, 08:08 AM.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

miou, I found all the actors to be engaging and very interested to speak with the fans.

Brandon Beemer was just a sweetiepie and Nadia was with him most of the time I spoke with him They are stunning!!!!!!!!! But are both so down to earth. I have checked out Owen on B&B and I do hope Brad gives him a fair chance. We also chatted about how we both admire John McCook.

Thaao was just a charmer...period and exclamation point. Loved his hugs! He was divine to his fans!!!

Lauren Koslow was gorgeous and quite chatty. She focused on who she spoke with and was willing to talk about anything. I told her Kate needs a man, but Steffy was not who I had in mind. LOL She brought her daughter and she is beautiful as well.

Bryan was funny all the time but he also spoke seriously with me about the show. I wish good things for him on Days and hope his new sl is a good one. I think he is excited to get a bit of a change.

Darin was much cuter in person and smiled a lot. He is pretty tall. I didn't have the heart to tell him I hate Stax. It seemed cruel.
Matt gave really good hugs too!

I would go back to a DOOL event like this anytime! Most of the fans were pretty nice as well. I just loved watching all of them enjoy meeting and chatting with their faves. So many of us still love soaps, even when they are not written all that well.

How I wish IMissAremid had been there. Mary you missed it!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

pspcindy
Sep 1 2008, 01:05 PM
miou, I found all the actors to be engaging and very interested to speak with the fans.

Brandon Beemer was just a sweetiepie and Nadia was with him most of the time I spoke with him They are stunning!!!!!!!!! But are both so down to earth. I have checked out Owen on B&B and I do hope Brad gives him a fair chance. We also chatted about how we both admire John McCook.

Thaao was just a charmer...period and exclamation point. Loved his hugs! He was divine to his fans!!!

Lauren Koslow was gorgeous and quite chatty. She focused on who she spoke with and was willing to talk about anything. I told her Kate needs a man, but Steffy was not who I had in mind. LOL She brought her daughter and she is beautiful as well.

Bryan was funny all the time but he also spoke seriously with me about the show. I wish good things for him on Days and hope his new sl is a good one. I think he is excited to get a bit of a change.

Darin was much cuter in person and smiled a lot. He is pretty tall. I didn't have the heart to tell him I hate Stax. It seemed cruel.
Matt gave really good hugs too!

I would go back to a DOOL event like this anytime! Most of the fans were pretty nice as well. I just loved watching all of them enjoy meeting and chatting with their faves. So many of us still love soaps, even when they are not written all that well.

How I wish IMissAremid had been there. Mary you missed it!
Cindy, I wish I had been there too!

It sounds like a fantastic time and I so would have loved to have met all of them, especially Thaao, Lauren and James.

eta: OH and of course I also would have loved the chance to hang out with you and Miou and all the FL peeps.
Edited by IMissAremid, Sep 1 2008, 01:37 PM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

thanks 4 sharing Cindy.
Quote:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

marianne557
Viscount/Viscountess
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was at the fan event in Burlington, in fact I was there the night before to attend a private fan dinner that Thaao agreed to do for his fans. He had wanted to meet us and thank us for our help and support over the last few years. I was so thrilled I finally got to meet him and he was everything I thought he would be. He is charming, gracious and very welcoming. Just like meeting an old friend. Oh and drop dead gorgeous too! He gives the most awesome hugs and they were the talk of the Fan Event. He even went and got Bryan and Matt to join us at dinner and he was treated to traditional Greek Dancing which we all joined in and learned to do!

At the Fan Event the next day Thaao's lines were long and his pictures sold out first! He was so open and gracious with every fan and each one got to experience those great hugs! From what I have been hearing he has gained alot of new fans and him and James seemed to be the most popular there. I found every one of the actors to be very friendly and gracious with every fan and I enjoyed the entire weekend. I do admit I would not have gone to this if Thaao wasn't going to be there. Meeting the other actors was an added bonus.

My meeting with James was very exciting. The man is extremely gorgeous and so sexy. Love his accent too! Told him exactly that and he just gave me this sheepish grin and said thank you. I asked if he minded if I got a picture between him and Thaao! WOW! He said of course not and tapped Thaao on the shoulder and said this lovely young woman would like a picture with us. Thaao turned and saw me and said you again LOL! Then he jumped up on his chair as a joke to be taller than James and James yells at him YOU CHIT! Thaao got down and I got a very nice picture with them.

I have a very good experiance at this event and would consider doing another one in the future.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply