Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Moving Time Slot Again?; New York Area
Topic Started: Aug 26 2008, 07:38 PM (1,530 Views)
downwhtone
Member Avatar

My DVR has Days scheduled to record on Sept. 8th at 1PM. It currently airs at 2PM. I found this odd, so I did a little research, and I see that Bonnie Hunt's new talk show premieres on Sept. 8th at 2PM in the New York area -WNBC 4 (according to her website).

Has anyone else heard anything about Days moving back to its former time slot in this area?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Oh no. I like DOOL at 2PM because I can watch B&B at 1:30. Oh well, I really don't care though since I haven't been watching DOOL.

thanks for posting!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Days has been airing at 2pm? When did *that* start? It's at 1pm here just like it's always been (baring a few years in the '90s when it came on at 11am and a period of time in the 1970s when it came on at 9am)

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 26 2008, 07:49 PM
Days has been airing at 2pm? When did *that* start? It's at 1pm here just like it's always been (baring a few years in the '90s when it came on at 11am and a period of time in the 1970s when it came on at 9am)
Since Passions left NBC. lol

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I had no idea. I watch it on the Rogers cable box where it airs several times a day and the time slots haven't changed.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Hmmm... when did Days start having its biggest ratings problems? I wonder if moving it to 2pm (apparently in some major markets) had anything to do with that? Or maybe that's TPTB's thinking, so they're putting it back at 1pm where it was originally.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 26 2008, 08:04 PM
Hmmm... when did Days start having its biggest ratings problems? I wonder if moving it to 2pm (apparently in some major markets) had anything to do with that? Or maybe that's TPTB's thinking, so they're putting it back at 1pm where it was originally.
DOOL gained those teen girls from Passions, IMO.

I wouldn't be mad seeing DOOL back at 1PM though.

jcar03
Member Avatar

The time slot tend to be a affilate issue so this change might not be everywhere. Like at one point the two different NBC affilates I had at home aired DAYS at 12:30 then the other had it at 1pm now both have it at 1pm while when I went away to school it was 1pm and 2pm, in January of 2007 they flipped DAYS and Passions so both stations had DAYS on at 1pm.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Yeah, NBC has this odd thing where it lets its affiliates do whatever the hell they want with their daytime line up (such that it is). It's been that way for years. Back in the old days (laugh), almost all the affiliates aired the network lineups exactly as intended except for a few exceptions (one of the biggest I can remember is when most stations started having 30 minute news casts at noon and would shift programs to other time slots or when an affiliate wanted to air local programming at 4pm instead of the network scheduled show, but still wanted to air the show).

Back in the 1970s, when Y&R aired at noon, the local CBS affiliate moved the show to 9am where it stayed for years. They moved it, briefly, back to 12:30 about a decade or so ago, but the ratings dropped so they moved it back to 9am (a day behind) where it still is. I know the Louisville CBS affiliate airs Y&R at 4pm as its lead in to the 5pm news (to much success). For many years in the 1990s, the local NBC affiliate aired AW at 10am and Days at 11am ("Soaps in the Morning! Talk in the Afternoon!"). Sunset Beach originally aired in Lexington at 9am, but got beating majorly by Y&R, so they moved it to 1pm. Edge of Night got shifted from 4pm on ABC (most affiliates of all networks had already started programming the 4pm slot themselves) to 11:00 before Loving at 11:30. When Loving went to 12:30, replacing RH (which officially shifted to noon), they moved RH to 11:30.

It was even odder back in the 1960s. Before all areas had 3 TV stations affiliated with individual networks, it wasn't uncommon for stations to affiliate with *two* (or more) networks. You might watch one stations and see programming from both CBS and ABC. Sometimes when an affiliate doesn't air a network program, an independant station will air it instead. Strange, strange, scheduling.

koos

Where I live, Days has aired at 12pm since before forever...
Edited by koos, Aug 26 2008, 09:36 PM.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Days has aired here at 2:00 p.m. opposite GH and GL for years. I think since Santa Barbara went off the air. Passions always aired at 1:00 p.m. and was Days lead in.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

When it was a half hour program in the '60's and early '70's ,NBC aired DAYS at 2 in it's schedule and the two local affiliates here followed suit. When the show expanded to an hour in the Mid-'70's, it began at 1pm instead! This was the Network's schedule! But as many have written, affiliates in some markets shuffled the show and are apparently still doing so!

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Aug 26 2008, 07:54 PM
Matt
Right. Days aired here in the NY tri-state area at 1PM for a very long time. It was moved to 2PM when Passions was canceled on NBC and moved to DirecTV. I wonder why they would move it back to 1PM, if they truly are.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

downwhtone
Aug 27 2008, 08:05 AM
Rakesh198
Aug 26 2008, 07:54 PM
Matt
Right. Days aired here in the NY tri-state area at 1PM for a very long time. It was moved to 2PM when Passions was canceled on NBC and moved to DirecTV. I wonder why they would move it back to 1PM, if they truly are.
That's the time that the network broadcasts it but it was before too so I don't see why that would factor into that station's decision! Maybe it's less of a hassle to delay it and they can run BONNIE HUNT(She has to have a little soap opera blood! She has had more shows than I can count but her failures keep getting her rewarded with new projects!) or JUDGE LANCE ITO or 50 MINUTE ABS at 2!

Errol

It should be noted that WNBC is NBC's flagship station. For them to move the show to 2pm to make room for Martha at 1pm and the cancellation of Passions was BIG!

I also live in the New York market, and I haven't paid attention to DAYS since it moved. If I do see the show, it's on SOAPnet.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Matt
Well, since at least the late '80s here, lol.
Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

Days is getting to be as bad as Guiding Light in the "giving all power to the affiliates" department. None of the people I know who watch Days across the country watch it at the same time. Some watch at noon, some at one, and some at two. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

brimike
Aug 27 2008, 02:05 PM
Days is getting to be as bad as Guiding Light in the "giving all power to the affiliates" department. None of the people I know who watch Days across the country watch it at the same time. Some watch at noon, some at one, and some at two. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
Well, that's NBC for you. True, some soaps have been aired outside their regular timeslots by affiliates over the years on all networks (a few examples I mentioned in a post above), but for the most part all the ABC/CBS affiliates stick fairly close to the official network line-up. The primary problems with scheduling in the past were for programs scheduled at noon EST and at 4pm EST (back when the nets actually programmed those slots). Once the affiliates started doing noon news and airing syndicated fare at 4pm, they would often move the networks' shows to another slot or simply not air them at all (which is one of the things that led to the cancellations of 'The Edge of Night', 'The Doctors', and 'Love of Life' as well as, later, 'Ryan's Hope'). Most NBC affiliates used to schedule their lineups pretty exact with the network standard until about 10-15 years ago when, I think, NBC pretty much gave their affilaites free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted in regards to scheduling as far as their daytime shows went.

I think that's one of the things that hurt both 'Santa Barbara' and 'Another World' because they were both getting shifted all over the schedules of some affiliates. I believe quite a few affiliates were airing those shows in the mornings at some points. Later, I think it hurt 'Sunset Beach', too, because I'm not entirely sure NBC even had an 'official' timeslot for it. I've read some sources that said SuBe's official slot was 3pm EST and others state that it was noon EST (I'm inclined to believe that noon was the official one because NBC was still programming that time period when SuBe went on the air and NBC had given 3pm back to the affiliates after 'Santa Barbara' went off the air in '93 and I highly doubt they were going to get it back.)

12:30pm EST has also become a tricky one for network's to schedule because a lot of stations have starting doing hour-long news casts at noon. I think that was one of the reasons the PC ended up having so much trouble and why ABC didn't replace it with anything when it went off the air. The local CBS affiliate airs Y&R at 9am a day behind because they run an hour-long noon news (1pm-1:30pm is normally filled with a syndicated sit-com rerun -- for years it was The Nanny).

daisysmommy

Well, NY and LA are the top markets so this is a big deal one way or the other.

Are they expanding today to 12 hrs (or 5, same diff)? What is the lead-in for the NY station for DOOL now (the 1PM show) versus what it will be at 12PM?

Could be a big deal...

Plus, as a NY person, it rocked my world when they moved it to 2PM. It had been on at 1PM since my great-great-grandma watched The Doctors and what all before DOOL came on...I thought it was a big sign of no-confidence when they put it at 2PM, but I am not Mr Frame so I know nothing but my foggy memories of scheduling college classes around Shane/Kim, and J&M!

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

daisysmommy
Aug 27 2008, 04:42 PM

Are they expanding today to 12 hrs (or 5, same diff)?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply