Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Another DAYS Shake-up; Ken Corday Speaks - SOW article added
Topic Started: Aug 27 2008, 07:13 PM (5,924 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Tomlin should get JER to come back to DOOL and take over as HW. JER is done with Passions so I don't see why he can't focus on DOOL full time. I believe JER can work his magic again. I just know he can. I can't explain it but I have that feeling.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Alligato
Aug 27 2008, 07:41 PM
Loved the interview. He sure comes off as sounding like he knows what he is doing, and I hope his optimism comes to pass!

Maybe Dena is a fantastic writer, but Scott was the one who fucked it up with the craziness this past summer...maybe he was the "summer of love" guy...I guess we will find out. Come on, Dena. Here's your chance. Prove us wrong.
Don't get your hopes up. Dena's a Grade A hack through and through.

Mason

And by the way, Ken. What Dena wants is definitely NOT what the majority of DAYS fans want. Dumbass.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Quote:

But at this moment in time, Days needs something JAW-DROPPING. Something to get loads of viewers to tune back in. Like, Lousie Sorel or Eileen Davidson's return, or a big location shoot, or a story that TRULY SINCERELY GENUINELY has "never been done on daytime before". (So sick of hearing that from other shows when it isn't true)

Since they're still paying off Reilly, maybe they should get him to consult and create a bizarre storyline that will get DAYS mainstream press again. ::hides::

Quote:

I have no doubt Tomlin will deliver a fine program. Your typical fun, slightly campy, soap opera. And fans will be content. I just don't know if he has the "secret weapon" in his brain that will save the show in the long run. But I really hope he does.

Yes, but Scott, Higley, and Corday clearly didn't have a "secret weapon" either. Doesn't DAYS' renewal rely mostly on Corday, shouldn't he be the one most actively involved in negotiations with NBC?

DAYS has tried to "shock" its audience so many times over the years, I think viewers are so over that trend, as they are with fan favourites returning. How many soap returns have been ratings successes in the past 8 years? Vanessa Marcil is the only one I can think of.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Aug 27 2008, 08:37 PM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 27 2008, 08:19 PM
Actually before the Olympics rise, Days was down from last year, I believe. (I could be wrong... somebody can correct me if I looked at the wrong numbers) Maybe not in HH's, but I thought they were down in demos, which is the important number.

As for Tomlin...

*sigh*

...I have complete faith in Tomlin. He'll do just fine. That was never an issue. He's written for shows, he's HEAD written for shows, and he's EP'ed lots of shows. He knows what he's doing. That's not in question. The real question is: can he do something that makes Days skyrocket up in the numbers to insure the one/two year pick-up next month won't be DOOL's last with NBC. And that's where I'm doubtful. He'll deliver a good show, oversee status quo stories, and come in under budget. But at this moment in time, Days needs something JAW-DROPPING. Something to get loads of viewers to tune back in. Like, Lousie Sorel or Eileen Davidson's return, or a big location shoot, or a story that TRULY SINCERELY GENUINELY has "never been done on daytime before". (So sick of hearing that from other shows when it isn't true)

As for Tomlin being up for EP last year... I have it on good authority that yes, it came down to Ed Scott and Gary Tomlin as Wyman's replacements. Both were well-liked, and both made good impressions. But from what I understand, the folks in charge at the time: Corday and Sheffer primarily, ended up going with Ed. Not because they didn't like or want Gary. But just because Ed Scott came from a show that was more "polished and sophisticated" (for lack of better words), and at the time, they thought that's what Days needed. But from what I understand, Tomlin was just as well-liked at the time. They just thought Scott had the chops to get Days taken seriously again in the industry (which critically and awards-wise, ended up being the right choice in the end, no matter what happened behind the scenes in the last few months). Tomlin is fine, just tends to gravitate towards the camp on every show he's worked at (Babes Behind Bars on OLTL, for example)

Implying Tomlin was the first choice (from what I understand) is incorrect, but he was definitely the top runner-up, and only "lost" by a hair.

I have no doubt Tomlin will deliver a fine program. Your typical fun, slightly campy, soap opera. And fans will be content. I just don't know if he has the "secret weapon" in his brain that will save the show in the long run. But I really hope he does.
Rating were up Feb to May from last years ratings....this summer is down from last summers. Olympic week excluded.
Edited by cjknick, Aug 27 2008, 08:41 PM.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

I don't see how DH's writing could possibly be good for the future of DOOL. What is KC thinking???

Quotes from Erika Slezak (OLTL) about Dena Higley:

"Dena makes noises of, "Oh yes you are wonderful, this and that" and
then she writes nothing."

"She wants to write for her own characters and she wants to write
stories that she thinks are interesting but nobody else does."

"She doesn't write stories, she writes events. It's like one event -
let's have a bomb, let's have a plane crash - but there is no story."

"It's all out the window. But Dena doesn't care about the rich history
of the show, which is evident in what she writes."

brimike

cjknick
Aug 27 2008, 08:40 PM
brimike
Aug 27 2008, 08:19 PM
Actually before the Olympics rise, Days was down from last year, I believe. (I could be wrong... somebody can correct me if I looked at the wrong numbers) Maybe not in HH's, but I thought they were down in demos, which is the important number.

As for Tomlin...

*sigh*

...I have complete faith in Tomlin. He'll do just fine. That was never an issue. He's written for shows, he's HEAD written for shows, and he's EP'ed lots of shows. He knows what he's doing. That's not in question. The real question is: can he do something that makes Days skyrocket up in the numbers to insure the one/two year pick-up next month won't be DOOL's last with NBC. And that's where I'm doubtful. He'll deliver a good show, oversee status quo stories, and come in under budget. But at this moment in time, Days needs something JAW-DROPPING. Something to get loads of viewers to tune back in. Like, Lousie Sorel or Eileen Davidson's return, or a big location shoot, or a story that TRULY SINCERELY GENUINELY has "never been done on daytime before". (So sick of hearing that from other shows when it isn't true)

As for Tomlin being up for EP last year... I have it on good authority that yes, it came down to Ed Scott and Gary Tomlin as Wyman's replacements. Both were well-liked, and both made good impressions. But from what I understand, the folks in charge at the time: Corday and Sheffer primarily, ended up going with Ed. Not because they didn't like or want Gary. But just because Ed Scott came from a show that was more "polished and sophisticated" (for lack of better words), and at the time, they thought that's what Days needed. But from what I understand, Tomlin was just as well-liked at the time. They just thought Scott had the chops to get Days taken seriously again in the industry (which critically and awards-wise, ended up being the right choice in the end, no matter what happened behind the scenes in the last few months). Tomlin is fine, just tends to gravitate towards the camp on every show he's worked at (Babes Behind Bars on OLTL, for example)

Implying Tomlin was the first choice (from what I understand) is incorrect, but he was definitely the top runner-up, and only "lost" by a hair.

Rating were up Feb to May from last years ratings....this summer is down from last summers. Olympic week excluded.
Absolutely. I should have been more specific. I knew ratings were up in the spring, I was referring to the summer. But yes, they were absolutely up from a year ago between Feb and May. Sorry to not be clear. :)

Days4Life

LOL at Corday's statement about working while on vacation; I think he's hanging out on message boards! He sounded a little defensive on that point.

Once again, I'm feeling optimistic about DAYS...I don't know why, because I don't trust Higley at all, and Corday has had me all enthused before only to dash my hopes and dreams, but I just love this show and these characters (most of them anyway) and I want so badly for it to succeed...so I'm falling for the company line again, hoping this time Corday really does have a plan to save DAYS.

The show is improving the last few weeks so I hope this is Higley's work, and she really does have a plan and some interesting storylines. I guess time will tell!

Alligato
Member Avatar

Mason
Aug 27 2008, 08:31 PM
And by the way, Ken. What Dena wants is definitely NOT what the majority of DAYS fans want. Dumbass.
You know, from what Dena said, she wasn't down with the autism thing...so that train wreck can't be blamed on her. Maybe that was Ed. And didn't Dena promise a great story for Nick, which never came to fruition, so may be Ed cut that out for some Chan pimping or something.

Maybe Dena has been bulldozed by Ed to write the things he is pushing, and she just couldn't do it and do it well and we have seen the effect.
Given the chance to write her own stuff on her own without Ed's influence might make a difference. I'll give her a chance.

She had written that she was working on something for the Olympics and those were the best two weeks out of the summer. Maybe that was her stuff.

**so don't beat me over the head, guys. Just giving the woman the benefit of the doubt. Never hurts to smile around here, ya know.

Oh, and Mason, did Shannen Dougherty get some work done or did she just age. She looks so different from her past 90210 days. I hate to think that she aged because we were similar in age when the show aired so that means I must have aged that much too. Then again, I wasn't drinking and coking it up in the late 90s either. Did you hear that Kelly's 4 year old's dad is Dylan! Love me some Dylan.
Sorry OT!

Mason

I understand trying to be optimistic, but let's face it: Higley has a SHITTY track record. She sucked on DAYS in 2003. She sucked on OLTL. And she sucked again this go-around on DAYS. I really don't see that changing, unfortunately.

Ellie

Alligato
Aug 27 2008, 08:47 PM
You know, from what Dena said, she wasn't down with the autism thing...so that train wreck can't be blamed on her.
When did she say that?

King
Member Avatar

JER signed on OVER five years ago now.

There is no way DAYS is still paying JER. No one can convince me otherwise.

Even if he signed a five year contract, it would have been over by now.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Ellie
Aug 27 2008, 08:50 PM
Alligato
You know, from what Dena said, she wasn't down with the autism thing...so that train wreck can't be blamed on her.
When did she say that?
In her last blog Dena said something to the fact that the show "approached" her about doing an autism storyline since she had some experience with it, and she would never push her own agenda by insisting something like that be done.

In another post, she said that the execs push her to write things that she wouldn't write beyond her comfort zone, and she was proud that she is able to come through with something that she could be proud of.

I always got the impression from her blogs that the autism storyline was not what she wanted to do.

daysfan
Member Avatar

King
Aug 27 2008, 08:51 PM
JER signed on OVER five years ago now.

There is no way DAYS is still paying JER. No one can convince me otherwise.

Even if he signed a five year contract, it would have been over by now.
Actually, King, I think he signed like a 6 year or something(I've heard alot of sources all over say this). Its been known for awhile that he will be paid until 2009.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Alligato
Mason
Aug 27 2008, 08:31 PM
You know, from what Dena said, she wasn't down with the autism thing...so that train wreck can't be blamed on her. Maybe that was Ed. And didn't Dena promise a great story for Nick, which never came to fruition, so may be Ed cut that out for some Chan pimping or something.

Maybe Dena has been bulldozed by Ed to write the things he is pushing, and she just couldn't do it and do it well and we have seen the effect.
Given the chance to write her own stuff on her own without Ed's influence might make a difference. I'll give her a chance.

She had written that she was working on something for the Olympics and those were the best two weeks out of the summer. Maybe that was her stuff.

**so don't beat me over the head, guys. Just giving the woman the benefit of the doubt. Never hurts to smile around here, ya know.

Oh, and Mason, did Shannen Dougherty get some work done or did she just age. She looks so different from her past 90210 days. I hate to think that she aged because we were similar in age when the show aired so that means I must have aged that much too. Then again, I wasn't drinking and coking it up in the late 90s either. Did you hear that Kelly's 4 year old's dad is Dylan! Love me some Dylan.
Sorry OT!
The autism storyline came from a NBC exec, not ES. And the last couple of weeks weren't DH's work. NB has hinted at that already.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/08/dc-288-top-10-ways-to-improve-days-of-our-lives

Ken probably HEARD THIS! Tom, me, Jamey and Luke REAMED Days a new you-know-what!

Ellie

Alligato
Aug 27 2008, 08:55 PM
Ellie
Aug 27 2008, 08:50 PM
Alligato
When did she say that?
In her last blog Dena said something to the fact that the show "approached" her about doing an autism storyline since she had some experience with it, and she would never push her own agenda by insisting something like that be done.

In another post, she said that the execs push her to write things that she wouldn't write beyond her comfort zone, and she was proud that she is able to come through with something that she could be proud of.

I always got the impression from her blogs that the autism storyline was not what she wanted to do.
Thanks! Found the quote:

And now I'm getting ready to go back to NYC to do the TODAY show with Renee and Jim and talk about the Autism storyline. I want everyone to know that NBC came to me with this story idea (props to Rebecca McGill and Bruce). This wasn't my initial idea. I would never presume to foist my own agenda on the public. But with a nurturing environment, our writers are going to go to town to write a pretty powerful story. And Renee and Jim are beyond great and ready to commit body and soul to this story. How fabulous is that?

Sounds to me like it wasn't her idea, but she was behind it!

Check out this interview as well - sounds like she was fully on board with the story, though it was NBC's idea. There's another interview I read somewhere that I can't find at the moment where Dena discusses how she inserted several scenes which were actual events that happened to her husband and herself.

But regarding the story's being NBC's idea, I've read about past successful Days stories which were not the idea of the writer... and the stories were fabulous. Talented writers can do very well with material which started as somebody else's idea. So I don't think Dena gets a 'free pass' on this at all.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Aug 27 2008, 09:04 PM
http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/08/dc-288-top-10-ways-to-improve-days-of-our-lives

Ken probably HEARD THIS! Tom, me, Jamey and Luke REAMED Days a new you-know-what!
That was an awesome podcast! :applause:

Mason

Whether or not the autism story was her idea is totally irrelevant to me. She should have been able to produce some good work from that, regardless.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 27 2008, 07:38 PM
Why do I think Mr. Corday frequents message boards (this one in particular)? I swear, some of the stuff he said really does sound like it was directed at some of the comments that have appeared here at DR.
I was thinking the very same thing Matt.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply