Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Marlena to John: I want a divorce
Topic Started: Aug 28 2008, 07:47 AM (1,854 Views)
Jonatha

Please link to DR:

Marlena stuns John this week when she asks him for a divorce. "Marlena's had no encouragement (that the man she loved is returning)," says Deidre Hall (Marlena). "The more John has disintegrated, the more she's been persuaded to withdraw from him."

Marlena shares her grim viewpoint after John tracks her down at the Pub. "John is concerned, because Marlena's left the house," explains Hall. "He doesn't know where she is. She's unprotected, and Stefano is on the loose. John's alarmed Marlena would go out alone."

While Marlena understands John's concerns, she doesn't appreciate his insistence that she be with him. "She is frightened, but she also knows she can't live in fear," explains Hall. Doc makes sure to drive this point home. "Trent had invited Marlena to join him for breakfast, and Marlena said, 'I don't think so,'" recounts Hall. "So in a moment when John is leaning on her pretty heavily to come back, and fall into line, she declares her independence and goes and sits with Trent."

The pair enjoy breakfast, so Trent decides to take things a step further by asking Marlena out on a date. She contemplates the invitation, but not to stick it to John.

"We're not playing it that way," says Hall. "That would be a mistake for the character. It isn't essentially who Marlena is. She wouldn't take any pleasure in hurting John. This is for her own survival. The dating theory is you get yourself out there. It doesn't have to be with somebody you're going to marry. We just go out and socialize until something magical happens."

Later, Marlena goes even further and asks John for a divorce, flooring him, since he's now determined to work on their marriage. "Marlena has really come to the end of the line," sighs Hall. "She sees John as possessive and restrictive, and she's not getting anything out of it. There's no relationship. Now, he's demanding to know her whereabouts and what she's doing, and limiting her freedom. The only way to survive that is to cut ties."

But is Marlena really ready to move on without John? "What I'm using (to justify it) for myself is, 'I'm done. I can't do this anymore. I'm completely giving up on you - almost,'" laughs Hall. "If the John that she loves surfaces, she won't be at a loss not to fall into his arms."

Too bad he's no where in sight -- and the John who does exist is about to get some juicy ammunition from Nicole about Marlena's new man.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting.

A guy wanting to know where I am 24/7,omg that would drive me nuts.Nice switch,weeks ago John seemed to not give a rats ass about Marlena,now he wants to track her every move,ok,he needs to suffer a bit,he needs to know what its like to have someone not interested in your life anymore,I am all for Marlena have a date with Trent,anything more than that,I will not be tool thrilled,I know Marlena won't use Trent to make John jealous,but I am gonna love seeing him jealous anyway,payback John,he deserves it,he had his fun,Blondies turn. :D
Edited by JohnandMarlenaFreak, Aug 28 2008, 09:42 AM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Aug 28 2008, 07:47 AM
Too bad he's no where in sight -- and the John who does exist is about to get some juicy ammunition from Nicole about Marlena's new man.

Love this spoiler...This does sound good..Nice to see Marlena and John staying on the frontburner where they belong..I'm really glad the tables have turned and its John pursing Marlena now..

daisysmommy

Yes, it will be good to have them on screen together again. So glad t end my boycott!

Ellie

Sigh.

Marlena might as well wake up next week and tell everyone she had a dream that someone attacked her, and then she was in the hospital, and then she made love to John.

It makes no sense that she's asking for a divorce or dating Trent after the intense character development that's occurred with both of them.

"FINALLY... IT'S HAPPENING... JOHN AND MARLENA... ARE FINDING THEIR WAY BACK TO EACH OTHER."

Guess they got lost again.

Posted Image

Kyrai

Ellie
Aug 28 2008, 10:29 AM
Sigh.

Marlena might as well wake up next week and tell everyone she had a dream that someone attacked her, and then she was in the hospital, and then she made love to John.

It makes no sense that she's asking for a divorce or dating Trent after the intense character development that's occurred with both of them.

"FINALLY... IT'S HAPPENING... JOHN AND MARLENA... ARE FINDING THEIR WAY BACK TO EACH OTHER."

Guess they got lost again.

Posted Image
This worries me too. It seems like the wishy washy waffling that occurred all summer just reversed.

Sounds like he's going to hound her like she did to him over his memories all summer and now she's going to another guy to get away just like he did with Ava.

John shows some interest in being more like 'old' John, and she suddenly wants to date someone else? Separating I can see, but Marlena has never been a person who just dates. I would think she'd want space to be alone and get a grip on who she is before she does anything. She hasn't even filed for divorce, and she's dating? I was so hoping they'd found Marlena but sounds like she's awol again.

I do NOT want a quick reconciliation with John. I want angst and turmoil and pursuit and growth and commitment and all that good stuff. But keep Marlena a little in character this time...

I know I probably should be happy with J&M on the screen, but I'd like a good story. Sounds like we're back to the pre-Olympic writers who were responsible for the long boring summer. They are so one dimensional. Seems like they can't function without a triangle, and they run a story into the ground with one character pursuing another (J&M, EJ/Sami/Lucas), then just flip flop it and think that makes an engaging story.

didi

Finally John woke up...and persuing Marlena....that would be great to watch....

Ellie

Kyrai
Aug 28 2008, 11:10 AM
This worries me too. It seems like the wishy washy waffling that occurred all summer just reversed.

Sounds like he's going to hound her like she did to him over his memories all summer and now she's going to another guy to get away just like he did with Ava.

John shows some interest in being more like 'old' John, and she suddenly wants to date someone else? Separating I can see, but Marlena has never been a person who just dates. I would think she'd want space to be alone and get a grip on who she is before she does anything. She hasn't even filed for divorce, and she's dating? I was so hoping they'd found Marlena but sounds like she's awol again.

I do NOT want a quick reconciliation with John. I want angst and turmoil and pursuit and growth and commitment and all that good stuff. But keep Marlena a little in character this time...

I know I probably should be happy with J&M on the screen, but I'd like a good story. Sounds like we're back to the pre-Olympic writers who were responsible for the long boring summer. They are so one dimensional. Seems like they can't function without a triangle, and they run a story into the ground with one character pursuing another (J&M, EJ/Sami/Lucas), then just flip flop it and think that makes an engaging story.

Excellent post. I completely agree with all of this.

daisysmommy

Listen, I think Drake's been an arse until recently in interviews. But...no conflict, no story. They won't pursue the Trent thing, it's gonna all shift to how to get OldJohn back.

So long as they do that onscreen, I prefer that to any of the horror of Summer 08...or 07...oh, right, or 06, where they shipped them both out of town categorically.

Meanwhile, O/T, and I am NOT being catty, but I find it increasingly painful to see KA. I hope she isn't terribly sick, but really, it alarms me to see her...I mean, if I saw her at my kids' school, I would worry. It's worrisome to see...

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Well, I am ALL for John getting a taste of his own medicine, and I LOVE a jealous John, but not at the expense of Marlena's integrity. Why would she give Trent a chance but not John, now that he's trying to change? Makes no sense.

CatherineEarnshaw

Marlena is making no sense to me. I do like John chasing Marlena but I like it to make sense in the context of the story.

Kyrai

CatherineEarnshaw
Aug 28 2008, 05:02 PM
Marlena is making no sense to me. I do like John chasing Marlena but I like it to make sense in the context of the story.
Exactly!

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Aug 28 2008, 03:23 PM
Well, I am ALL for John getting a taste of his own medicine, and I LOVE a jealous John, but not at the expense of Marlena's integrity. Why would she give Trent a chance but not John, now that he's trying to change? Makes no sense.
True,maybe its so John will be protective when Nicole tells John about Trent,guess we'll see.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Aug 28 2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting.

A guy wanting to know where I am 24/7,omg that would drive me nuts.Nice switch,weeks ago John seemed to not give a rats ass about Marlena,now he wants to track her every move,ok,he needs to suffer a bit,he needs to know what its like to have someone not interested in your life anymore,I am all for Marlena have a date with Trent,anything more than that,I will not be tool thrilled,I know Marlena won't use Trent to make John jealous,but I am gonna love seeing him jealous anyway,payback John,he deserves it,he had his fun,Blondies turn. :D
Tit for tat, I guess. A few weeks ago, she was trying to control him by insisting he recover his past memories when he didn't want to. I'm curious to see what Marlena on the town will be like. It's been a long time since I've seen her as independent from John. It reminds me of Richandamy from the cartoon Zits.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I have no problem with this because it's being played like Marlena proving a point to John. She's trying to show him she's serious about moving on and Trent just happens to be there. She's not really using Trent. She actually wants to move on. I don't see any problem with it. I like John going after her. It's refreshing and we know this isn't know long-term thing with Trent leaving soon.

I like Dee in this interview explaining how she justified it all. I think this works just fine.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 29 2008, 02:06 AM
I have no problem with this because it's being played like Marlena proving a point to John. She's trying to show him she's serious about moving on and Trent just happens to be there. She's not really using Trent. She actually wants to move on. I don't see any problem with it. I like John going after her. It's refreshing and we know this isn't know long-term thing with Trent leaving soon.
I don't mind John's pursuing her in and of itself, but why should she want to move on in the first place? What about tomorrow's show? What about J&M growing closer these past two weeks? And as Jiggs pointed out, if Marlena does want to move on, why isn't it with "New John"?

Quote:

I like Dee in this interview explaining how she justified it all.
Haha I liked that too, but sounds like it was for a different reason than you liked it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Aug 29 2008, 02:35 AM
PhoenixRising05
Aug 29 2008, 02:06 AM
I don't mind John's pursuing her in and of itself, but why should she want to move on in the first place? What about tomorrow's show? What about J&M growing closer these past two weeks? And as Jiggs pointed out, if Marlena does want to move on, why isn't it with "New John"?

Quote:

I like Dee in this interview explaining how she justified it all.
Haha I liked that too, but sounds like it was for a different reason than you liked it.
Well, after what he says to her tomorrow, why would she want to be close to him?

She told him Monday and Wednesday she wasn't interested and was ready to move on and then tomorrow she kind of opens herself up to him again and his behavior afterwards closes the door...again. It makes sense for her to feel that it is, indeed, over now. She said she was through at the hospital yet she still sleeps with him and ends up getting hurt again. Then John continues to push so I can see why she would want to prove a point and try to get John to back off. Trent is there and it comes together. I really don't see the issue. It makes sense. Marlena made the decision to move on for herself yet she gives John yet another chance, sleeps with him, and he screws up and hurt her again. She now has to try to push him away or else she can never move on, hence the Trent issue.

Do I think she wants to move on? No. I think she's made that clear. I think she just feels like she needs control over her life and this is the only way to do it. The whole thing with Stefano and Sam made her see that she had lost her way. She's trying to get back her life.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Aug 29 2008, 02:45 AM
Well, after what he says to her tomorrow, why would she want to be close to him?

She told him Monday and Wednesday she wasn't interested and was ready to move on and then tomorrow she kind of opens herself up to him again and his behavior afterwards closes the door...again. It makes sense for her to feel that it is, indeed, over now. She said she was through at the hospital yet she still sleeps with him and ends up getting hurt again. Then John continues to push so I can see why she would want to prove a point and try to get John to back off. Trent is there and it comes together. I really don't see the issue. It makes sense. Marlena made the decision to move on for herself yet she gives John yet another chance, sleeps with him, and he screws up and hurt her again. She now has to try to push him away or else she can never move on, hence the Trent issue.

Do I think she wants to move on? No. I think she's made that clear. I think she just feels like she needs control over her life and this is the only way to do it. The whole thing with Stefano and Sam made her see that she had lost her way. She's trying to get back her life.
I get what you're saying, but then we should probably discuss it again tomorrow after the show's aired so we can see exactly how it plays out. I thought in one of the magazines it said that Marlena goes home with him afterwards? Meaning, whatever stupid line came out of his mouth was a momentary setback, but not enough to negate the new closeness they're feeling.

daisysmommy

Ellie
Aug 29 2008, 02:55 AM
PhoenixRising05

I get what you're saying, but then we should probably discuss it again tomorrow after the show's aired so we can see exactly how it plays out. I thought in one of the magazines it said that Marlena goes home with him afterwards? Meaning, whatever stupid line came out of his mouth was a momentary setback, but not enough to negate the new closeness they're feeling.
No, she goes back to the mansion with him, and he's still in protect mode through at least next Thurs, but she's gonna blow him off through Sept, cuz they have to keep us fish on the reel and still drag the line.

We best be getting some cute/sexy/angsty scenes in late Sept/October...

As long as they are on the front burner and finding their way, I am ok with that. This whole g*d-damned thing was originally promoted at 1986 redux, no? At least that's why I tuned in and out and in again...

Kyrai

Ellie
Aug 29 2008, 02:55 AM
PhoenixRising05

I agree with you. I'll have to see exactly what John does today, but I don't get why if she's moving on, new John would be 'off the table' as a prospect if he's sincerely trying.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply