Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Promo for wk of 9/1
Topic Started: Aug 29 2008, 10:53 PM (1,327 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

http://www.nbc.com/Days_of_our_Lives/video/#cat=25262
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Oh, GMAFB. Just admit it, DAYS/NBC, this story has been a total bust from Day ONE.

Seriously, this promo makes DAYS look like something off the fucking Lifetime network (and at least they'd do it better over there).

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

if we are stuck watching an autism storyline, i would at least like to get to see James and Renee act out some meaty material..So that scene with Renee looks promising...

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Well, at least they're finally playing the story out. It was put on the back-burner right away and I figured they were going to just drop it. I'm glad that they picked it back up.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm glad they are too and this does look good. I'm glad the kid is doing more then counting. This actually looks powerful and RJ looks like she finally gets something good to work with.

However, I hate that they choose now to do this and take the promo up with this. This week is a big week with Stefano taking back his house and the Paul stuff coming to a head and, after a month of focusing on those stories, you pull this out after gaining viewers. I care about this stuff and I'm sure a few others do too but this won't hold the audience the show got back or get more to watch. These kind of stories don't grab at ratings like they should or like they used to. Nowadays you have to blow something up or kidnap someone or whatever to bring excitement and ratings. I wish this stuff had been pushed a bit back or had been focused on a bit more in the past few months so it didn't mess with other things.

Whatever the case, it does look good IMO.

cassie1013

Umm. Is this actually supposed to make me WANT to tune in? GMAFB. Abe and Lexie have been dead for like, 5 years - here's a story: how about how Theo's autism drives Abe and Lexie to divorce court!!!!

I am seriously starting to think that Abe and Lexie are just thrown together because they're both black, which in this day and age is not really an acceptable excuse. They reek of boring-ness, and Lexie could really do a lot better....plus, the fact that she's half italian has been shoved in our faces for the past couple weeks anyway!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Aug 30 2008, 05:35 AM
I am seriously starting to think that Abe and Lexie are just thrown together because they're both black, which in this day and age is not really an acceptable excuse. They reek of boring-ness, and Lexie could really do a lot better....plus, the fact that she's half italian has been shoved in our faces for the past couple weeks anyway!
That's the only reason they are still together.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

I like this promo but it doesn't look soap-ish! It DOES look like something belongs on a family network. I was almost thinking this storyline was completely shut out since its been on hold for so long.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Well, given how much publicity the story has gotten up in the media, I knew it was only a matter of time they would devote a promo to it. I have to admit the promo makes it look interesting. My real problem is I wish I cared more about Abe and Lexie as a couple because right now I don't. :(

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I love this promo! It's about time this story continues. I will make sure I watch DOOL next week.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Promo for the week of 9/1/08 Autism story continues...

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Aww I really liked the promo. Renee Jones was amazing in that clip.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

When the promo bores the socks off you, you know the actual storyline will put you to sleep.

My guess is Ed tried to make this sl go away. HE KNEW it is s a stinker.

Autism is a very serious and complicated issue. I think a PBS report would serve the subject much better.
Edited by pspcindy, Aug 31 2008, 12:23 PM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Not interested. At all. :sleep:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

pspcindy
Aug 30 2008, 06:25 PM
When the promo bore the socks of you, you know the actual storyline will put you to sleep.

My guess is Ed tried to make this sl go away. HE KNEW it is s a stinker.

Autism is a very serious and complicated issue. I think a PBS report would serve the subject much better.
I would definitely watch a Nova episode devoted to Autism, but not on Days.

brimike

There's a way to do this kind of story on Days, and a way not to do this kind of story on Days. If Theo's autism fit under a bigger umbrella, I think it would work better. But as it stands, it's so isolated, and so "not-really-a-story", it doesn't work. You can't just say "Theo's autistic" and call it a story. You need the set-up, the reveal, the fall-out, and then the explosive finale that moves you into the next storyline. But this isn't really a storyline - it's just a PSA. A sentence, really. Theo has autism. And that's it.

By the way, I am IN NO WAY diminishing anyone who has autistic children out there (or anyone who is autistic themselves). I'm just saying that the way the story's been presented to us this summer... well, it just isn't a story, never mind a story Days fans are accustomed to.

When it starts having a ripple effect on those around them - like, say, something happens between Theo and Ciara while they're playing, and Bo and Hope don't want Theo around their daughter anymore, and Abe/Lexie start to think they have a bias against Theo, and it drives a wedge between the friends, blah, blah, blah... you get my meaning... THEN it starts to become a "story". It's just right now, it only seems like "And now we cut to the black people for our Public Service Announcement"...
Edited by brimike, Aug 30 2008, 08:29 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'd be more interested if Theo died.

brimike

Kenny
Aug 30 2008, 08:30 PM
Kenny, you slay me! Could you imagine the outrage?!

I'm a firm believer that you can sell ANY story as long as you sell it the right way. What if Celeste started sticking her new age stuff in, trying to help her grandson? What if Abe was furious? Now, Abe, at the end of his rope, is pushing away his friends, his family, everyone, believing they "don't know what's best for his son". And Lexie struggles with her husband not coming to terms with the fact that Theo DOES need special treatment. Abe can't see the forest through the trees with his child, and turns to Marlena (who needs Marlena and Trent... a character we already know is not long for this world?). Marlena, the shrink, tries to help him... and Abe and Marlena start to grow closer, which infuriates Stefano, John AND Lexie. And the night passion ignites with Abe and Marlena, something awful happens to Theo, and Stefano helps Lexie take desperate measures to get her son the help he needs and away from Abe, and suddenly Theo's autism has laid the groundwork for fireworks everywhere.

I'm not saying this is THE storyline to tell... it's just me fan-wanking. :blah: :blah: ;) You can tell any and all sorts of stories. It's just that in the land of Salem, you really need to amp up the odds in a story like this. You can't just make it an afterschool special, because it will ALWAYS fall flat on its face on this show.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kenny
Please, no. It was tough enough when Zach died. Now that they introduced this whole autism thing, I think that would be extremely wrong. Sort of like "He's not a perfect character and this didn't work, so we'll get rid of him". Nope. They already have enough troubles as it is with this show.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Kenny
I'm sorry but, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply