Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Promo for wk of 9/1
Topic Started: Aug 29 2008, 10:53 PM (1,361 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I hope we can get Chelsea & Theo to bond. I enjoyed those 2 on Friday.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Rakesh198
Aug 30 2008, 08:57 PM
I hope we can get Chelsea & Theo to bond. I enjoyed those 2 on Friday.
I feel like Rachel Melvin is so uncomfortable in her scenes with Theo, so they come off so awkward and kind of hard to watch, LoL.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Kenny
Aug 30 2008, 08:30 PM
I'd be more interested if Theo died.
That's terrible! LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I never watched Days to get public service announcements. That was one of the reasons I got turned off by all the Green Stuff. I felt like it came out of nowhere. We have seen Theo in the past and he seemed pretty normal. Also it is one of those issues that just doesn't really play out well on a daily series (at least in my opinion).

I will say though I like the way that Night Shift has been handling Jagger's son being autistic. Right from the start we saw how he acted different and how Jagger was just looking the other way not wanting to admit there could be something wrong with his son. Also it is a minor story compared to other things happening on the show. Again with Days it just seems so out of the blue. It also seemes to be just one of those stories that will have moments, but no lasting effects to other stories in the future.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I really want this one to work, so I'm going to reserve comment til it's played out.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

brimike
Aug 30 2008, 08:28 PM
There's a way to do this kind of story on Days, and a way not to do this kind of story on Days. If Theo's autism fit under a bigger umbrella, I think it would work better. But as it stands, it's so isolated, and so "not-really-a-story", it doesn't work. You can't just say "Theo's autistic" and call it a story. You need the set-up, the reveal, the fall-out, and then the explosive finale that moves you into the next storyline. But this isn't really a storyline - it's just a PSA. A sentence, really. Theo has autism. And that's it.

By the way, I am IN NO WAY diminishing anyone who has autistic children out there (or anyone who is autistic themselves). I'm just saying that the way the story's been presented to us this summer... well, it just isn't a story, never mind a story Days fans are accustomed to.

When it starts having a ripple effect on those around them - like, say, something happens between Theo and Ciara while they're playing, and Bo and Hope don't want Theo around their daughter anymore, and Abe/Lexie start to think they have a bias against Theo, and it drives a wedge between the friends, blah, blah, blah... you get my meaning... THEN it starts to become a "story". It's just right now, it only seems like "And now we cut to the black people for our Public Service Announcement"...
Great post, particularly the first paragraph. It's been so disjointed and it didn't feel like a story at all, just random scenes. Granted, I haven't been watching faithfully for a variety of reasons, but I've seen some of it and if I had wanted to get hooked, I'm not sure I could have been with the way the non-story has not unfolded.

That being said, I don't think it's a bad promo at all.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Aug 30 2008, 08:28 PM
There's a way to do this kind of story on Days, and a way not to do this kind of story on Days. If Theo's autism fit under a bigger umbrella, I think it would work better. But as it stands, it's so isolated, and so "not-really-a-story", it doesn't work. You can't just say "Theo's autistic" and call it a story. You need the set-up, the reveal, the fall-out, and then the explosive finale that moves you into the next storyline. But this isn't really a storyline - it's just a PSA. A sentence, really. Theo has autism. And that's it.

By the way, I am IN NO WAY diminishing anyone who has autistic children out there (or anyone who is autistic themselves). I'm just saying that the way the story's been presented to us this summer... well, it just isn't a story, never mind a story Days fans are accustomed to.

When it starts having a ripple effect on those around them - like, say, something happens between Theo and Ciara while they're playing, and Bo and Hope don't want Theo around their daughter anymore, and Abe/Lexie start to think they have a bias against Theo, and it drives a wedge between the friends, blah, blah, blah... you get my meaning... THEN it starts to become a "story". It's just right now, it only seems like "And now we cut to the black people for our Public Service Announcement"...
I agree. They need to show us more of the impact to get people to care.

For example, having watched Tuesday's show already, I was into the autism story because of Abe and Lexie. The scenes were well-done and the focus on how it's a test of their marriage and as parents was interesting. However, while I think the focus on the tension between Abe and Lexie has been there, they aren't focusing enough on Theo. We just see him and hear about the struggles. We don't really see them. We see a little Tuesday but it's always little tidbits. Lexie mentions on Tuesday a situation where Theo had a fit and she couldn't take it and just left the rook while he was still pounding on the walls. I would've liked to see that scene. That could've been powerful stuff.

On top of that, as others suggested, do more with the impact of those around them. We had a minor incident with Ciara/Theo that happened offscreen but was handled in two seconds. Why not have Theo become violent or maybe have him do something that puts Lexie and Abe in an uncomfortable situation? We had some good scenes with Marlena and them early on and some good scenes with Hope a few weeks ago but, other then that, it's been completely isolated.

This story can still be salvaged but more focus needs to be on Theo. We need to see more of the struggles then little bits here and there. The focus on Abe and Lexie's marriage is great but we need more then that. It can't be so isolated.

I still maintain this was not Dena's idea. I don't care how big of a hack she is or how bad she is, a story that personally touches her is not one I see turning out this way if she was truly on board with it. She seemed rather uncomfortable with it from the get go in her blogs and she didn't really do much speaking on the Today show either. She didn't seem as interested as one personally affected by something like that would be. I think Corday, NBC, Scott, or someone pushed this, knowing Dena's history and thinking it could be a good idea and Dena had to go along. It explains why some of the more personal scenes (Abe and Lexie finding out Theo is autistic, the scene I mentioned above where Lexie mentions getting so frustrated with Theo that she walks out of his room) aren't shown. Maybe she can't bring herself to write them or maybe she just doesn't want too much of her life or experience getting out there. Who knows. I can certainly understand why she would be uncomfortable.

I do hope this story gets better. Watching Tuesday's already, I found myself interested in it so that's something.

ges
Member Avatar

The problem is that the marriage of Lexie and Abe is beyond boring, always was, and so anything within the scope of that marriage and it's problems is going to be a borefest, too. If Higley hadn't been so impatient to get the autism story on the show she could have had Steve and Kayla adopt an autistic child. It just isn't soapy enough and even if it were she doesn't have the writing skills to make it interesting. Whoever said the promo looks like a bad Lifetime movie is right. They tried making Abe impotent and blind, that was boring, too. Celeste and Abe had better chemistry that Lexie and Abe. Now I'm boring myself just thinking about this couple.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ges
Sep 2 2008, 08:50 AM
The problem is that the marriage of Lexie and Abe is beyond boring, always was, and so anything within the scope of that marriage and it's problems is going to be a borefest, too. If Higley hadn't been so impatient to get the autism story on the show she could have had Steve and Kayla adopt an autistic child. It just isn't soapy enough and even if it were she doesn't have the writing skills to make it interesting. Whoever said the promo looks like a bad Lifetime movie is right. They tried making Abe impotent and blind, that was boring, too. Celeste and Abe had better chemistry that Lexie and Abe. Now I'm boring myself just thinking about this couple.
ANY marriage in Soapland is boring unless you introduce some type of conflict, which can't happen alot of times because some fanbases get upset.

And here we go again with the "this should've been Steve and Kayla or Bo and Hope " crap. I hate to use the word crap but that is what it is. Abe and Lexie have been on this show just as long, if not longer, then Steve and Kayla. They've proved they can handle major story and part of the reason many fans don't see them and some others as viable characters or as popular is because the show continues to overuse the supercouple pipeline. Abe and Lexie deserve a good story too and finally they are getting one together that doesn't involve her cheating on him...yet. I will say I don't necessarily like them together but they have been a couple for a long time so there is something familiar and comforting about seeing them on and together so I can deal with it.

I also don't think Higley rushed into this because, as I mentioned, I doubt she even wanted this story to begin with. Something as personal as this for a writer does not get pushed to the backburner like this nor does it get any major focus. Anyone who has watched soaps in recent years knows that if a writer implements something they want, it dominates a show and gets major focus. This story hasn't even come close to that and Higley has seemed uncomfortable with it. Just look at the Green stuff. Days focused on that alot between Lumi's wedding, Green Day in November, and then all the stuff with Nick's inventions and the stuff we got in June and July. Ed Scott, NBC, and Peter Reckell all were big on the Green stuff and it got what I would say is alot of focus. If Higley was really on board with this, I think it would get much more focus and airtime, even with all the stuff going on with Ed Scott.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 2 2008, 11:55 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply