Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nielsen finds audiences are aging; 55+ is fastest-growing demo
Topic Started: Aug 30 2008, 04:55 AM (2,057 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Variety
Nielsen finds audiences are aging
55-plus age bracket is fastest-growing demo
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

The adults 18-49 demographic remains the gold standard among advertisers -- yet TV auds keep getting greyer.
According to Nielsen's 2008-09 national universe estimates, the 55-plus age bracket is by far the fastest-growing TV audience demo -- accelerating at twice the rate of the overall TV audience.

The ratings company estimates that 71.4 million TV viewers are over age 55, up 2.7% from last year. In comparison, total viewers over the age of 2 number 290 million, up 1.3% from last year.

The 55-plus group also far outpaces younger demos. The number of adults 18-34 watching TV next year will increase 1.5% to 68.2 million. And the 18-49 demo will see only a 0.7% increase (to 119.1 million). Teens 12-17 (40.8 million) will grow by 1.2%.

The growing population of older auds could mean a greater disconnect between total viewers figures and young adult numbers. In other words, shows targeted at aging boomer folk may post boffo total audience ratings but limp in the demos that advertisers care about.

CBS research chief David Poltrack noted that the industry is still adjusting to the notion that such a large and vital portion of the population is moving out of target range and into the 55-64 demo.

They "control an extraordinary percentage of wealth and assets of country and have the most discretionary income," he said. "They're big consumers, and they're going off the radar screen."

Poltrack said he believed advertisers are recognizing the shift, however. He noted that new measurement methodologies coming out of TV set-top boxes -- which are less age-based, and more dependent on measuring product consumption and other factors -- could alter media marketing and planning decisions.

While the ranks of boomers and older folk are expanding, they also watch a lot more TV than those younger whippersnappers. In a separate Nielsen report, the company found that viewers 65-plus watched 177 hours and 50 minutes worth of traditional TV this past May. Viewers 55-64 watched the second-most regular TV, 159 hours and 59 minutes.

Adults 18-24 watched just 103 hours and 27 minutes, while the 25-34 group watched 118 hours and 59 minutes.

"In most other industries, if a business found an audience segment that huge and underserved, and decided to target them, they'd be lauded as forward-thinking," one network exec said of the older demo. "But until advertisers put a real value on that audience, things won't change that much."

In other demographic news, Hispanic, Asian American and African-American households continue to outpace the overall growth of TV homes.

For the 2008-09 TV season, Nielsen estimates 114.5 million TV households, up 1.5% from last year. Asian-American TV homes have increased 4.4%, to 4.7 million, while Hispanic households are up 4.3%, to 12.7 million. African-American TV households have ticked up 2.2%, to 14 million.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

I guarantee you that at least three soaps will be canceled before the daytime execs pay attention to this article and realize the truth in it. That's how slow they are. "But it's all about the youth! They told us that ten years ago - it HAS to be true, doesn't it?"

*sigh*

Jonatha

brimike
Aug 30 2008, 06:49 AM
I guarantee you that at least three soaps will be canceled before the daytime execs pay attention to this article and realize the truth in it. That's how slow they are. "But it's all about the youth! They told us that ten years ago - it HAS to be true, doesn't it?"

*sigh*
It says a lot! Most of us here are true soap fans and adore our veteran actors, the ones we've watched for decades. If the dopes in charge keep shoving these teen storylines at us we stop watching. As long as soaps are still on, why not give the aging and die-hards fans what they want? The article puts the finger on the whole problem the soap are having. They keep trying to lure younger audiences when it's the older viewers who will keep watching as long as it's worthwhile. It's not so hard to figure out. Give the true fans what they want and deserve. It's a no-brainer.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Didn't I bring up this exact same point a couple of weeks ago? lol

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

brimike

*sigh*
Ad execs believe that once we reach a certain age their advertising doesn't affect us that's why they want younger, impressionable and more easily influenced viewers.

The older we get, the more advertising we've seen and the more immune we are to being influenced to buy things we no longer want or need.

Jonatha

SpriteEyes
Aug 30 2008, 11:22 AM
brimike

*sigh*
Ad execs believe that once we reach a certain age their advertising doesn't affect us that's why they want younger, impressionable and more easily influenced viewers.

The older we get, the more advertising we've seen and the more immune we are to being influenced to buy things we no longer want or need.
That is so true. When you reach a certain age you become so obvilous to commercials directed at your age group. You're smarter economically and have 'been there and done that.' You get to an age when you know there is no wrinkle cream, make-up, or vitamins (insert any other over-50 product lines here) that are going to turn back time. But I have to say it's the commericals for chocolate (Bliss, M&Ms, Three Muskateers) that make me write those items down on my grocery list. Chocolate gets me everytime. :smile:

~bl~
Member Avatar

It is ridiculous, that they don't realize how real life demos work. They aren't going to get younger viewers just because. The population is getting older with all the boomers starting to get into retirement age. They should make the best shows possible, even shows like American Idol have been having demo issues as their audience ages.

Make the best shows possible, cater to who is watching and hope you last as long as you can. Most programs increase viewership by word of mouth anyway.

daisysmommy

Matt
Aug 30 2008, 07:17 AM
YES!!!!!!!!! YOU MOST ABSOLUTELY DID!!!!!!!!!!!

And you are right. And do you think Cordumb subscribes to Variety??? Does he read at all? Cuz even if someone has NARRATED the audio of the Nielsen's for the last two weeks into his ear, there's got to be SOME recognition that the boomers are the new boffo for the old media.

Pay the vets a few Gs more a year, put em on, keep your audience...and, ergo, keep your New Age awakened advertisers...

And btw, having worked in advertising, the whole landscape is so absurdly different than it was in the days of the 18-49ers 'gold rush'...

The first boomer gets their Medicare papers in 2011, right? And that's the generation that grew up on soaps...

But in the day, they were not boomers, they were in the IMPORTANT demos.

IMHO, boomers are the only ones even willing to WATCH ads anymore....

Corday is a donut -eating donut if he doesn't get that~!

LOOK AT THE DATA!!! Please. And thank you, most sincerely.

Jonatha

daisysmommy
Aug 30 2008, 01:04 PM
Matt

And you are right. And do you think Cordumb subscribes to Variety??? Does he read at all? Cuz even if someone has NARRATED the audio of the Nielsen's for the last two weeks into his ear, there's got to be SOME recognition that the boomers are the new boffo for the old media.

Pay the vets a few Gs more a year, put em on, keep your audience...and, ergo, keep your New Age awakened advertisers...

And btw, having worked in advertising, the whole landscape is so absurdly different than it was in the days of the 18-49ers 'gold rush'...

The first boomer gets their Medicare papers in 2011, right? And that's the generation that grew up on soaps...

The oldest baby boomers reach the age of 62 this year, making them eligable for early retirement and Medicare. Corday is a boomer, you'd think he would take notice.

spring

daisysmommy
Aug 30 2008, 01:04 PM
Matt

You are so right, the boomers out number and they are being IGNORED!!! Big mistake!!
Look at the prime time shows that bring in the most money...they appeal to boomers!
They have the income and time to keep soaps/prime time on the air, and they have always watched soaps. And then, the soaps didn't insult them. That's a "clue" they could take to the bank, if they paid attention.

TPTB need to wake up to this. They act like it's a big surprise, but it's been right there, all along!

And, boomers are younger acting and thinking than they have been in decades, so their BUYING practices is a lot younger than it used to be.

jane1978

But this is not fault of execs. Itīs in the article too. The advertisers still doesnīt care about older viewers and like it or not all TV production is just about selling the viewers to them. So as long as the advertisers arenīt willing to pay for older viewers the execs will neglect them. You can have a half milion viewers in the +50 demo but if the advertisers are willing to pay more for a few thousand of viewers in the 12-17 girls demo any network executive will happily get rid of this half milion just to keep the girls. Thatīs business. So if you want to blame someone blame advertisers and the entire society and itīs youth rules direction.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

For some reason about 15 to 25 years ago TV execs got a boner for the younger viewer. Advertisers have always had a boner for the younger viewers, but TV used to not really care. They still produced television with all viewers in mind.

And then along about 15 years ago you started reading more and more and more about these are the viewers we want to attract. And they started restructuring shows and catering them to those audiences - totally ignoring a large segment of their audience - who had to find something they could relate to and they did. They switched allegiances.

I always could understand some ideas about other shows but soap operas have always had their bread and butter in being generational shows both on screen and off. Onscreen you show the generations and how even a young love story affects every generation in that family.

Offscreen they attracted the older viewer who passed the tradition on to their children and grandchildren. Now soap operas esp. don't have that anymore. Soaps are designed to be around for a long time. They need that type of tradition.

Primetime shows usually don't last more than 5 seasons at the most. It is a rare series that last 20 years or more.

I can understand to a certain degree why the TV execs have to worry about it. In the 70's and even the early 80's, daytime made so much money that the networks had surplus that they could use to pay for more expensive series that were not attracting big audiences.

As daytime performers began to demand more and more money, and backstage personnel saw their salaries double and triple - the money that the soap operas were making was no longer there. It was all getting eaten up. Plus the size of the backstage staffs in soaps changed. The writers guild demanded less work for a writer on a TV show and no longer did you have shows with few script writers or did you have headwriters writing scripts and doing breakdowns too. The guild didn't allow that - so the soaps had to start paying even more for writers.

Ratings were dropping meaning ad dollars were getting less, but the cost of each show was still going up. So the soaps had no power to say fuck you to the big execs at the network - they had to follow their agenda of attracting a younger audience so that the advertisers would pay more.

It's all a dog eat dog system.

All of them demand this and that, but in the end it is the viewers who get screwed and ends up the loser.

cjknick
Member Avatar

jane1978
Aug 30 2008, 05:52 PM
But this is not fault of execs. Itīs in the article too. The advertisers still doesnīt care about older viewers and like it or not all TV production is just about selling the viewers to them. So as long as the advertisers arenīt willing to pay for older viewers the execs will neglect them. You can have a half milion viewers in the +50 demo but if the advertisers are willing to pay more for a few thousand of viewers in the 12-17 girls demo any network executive will happily get rid of this half milion just to keep the girls. Thatīs business. So if you want to blame someone blame advertisers and the entire society and itīs youth rules direction.
Bingo!

brimike

What's always and eternally baffled me is this bizarre "disposable income" that the teen demo has.

I'm in my early 30's... so I'm not THAT far out of that age range. (Far, but only a little over a decade) But I had to work one-to-three jobs at any given time just to have my own money to buy one video game, or go to the movies with my friends, or (later in college) to go out partying on a Friday night. Disposable income?! Hardly. I worked twenty-thrity hours a week in retail jobs, or fast food chains, and made just enough to enjoy life at its most minimal. I ate at Taco Bell, rented at Blockbuster, and occasionally bought a Nintendo game or a DVD (but that was only when I really worked extra hours)

And don't even get me started on the way I had to scrounge for change once I graduated college.

I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, but is it just that a lot of these kids receive an infinite allowance from their parents? Is that how it works? Because if it is, that's not the advertisers' fault or the teens' fault - that's kind of my generation (and the generation slightly older than mine)'s fault for throwing money at their kids for everything being advertised in their direction.

Wow, I guess that means I've officially gotten old, huh? When you start posts with "When I was their age..." ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Kenny
Member Avatar

brimike
Aug 30 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, but is it just that a lot of these kids receive an infinite allowance from their parents? Is that how it works? Because if it is, that's not the advertisers' fault or the teens' fault - that's kind of my generation (and the generation slightly older than mine)'s fault for throwing money at their kids for everything being advertised in their direction.
Kids these days are spoiled bastards. It still baffles me everytime I see a 14-year old whipping out their cell phone in a store. I'm like... really? Do teenagers really need to be instantly accessible 24/7? Do teenagers really need to have camera phones so that they can snap photos of their pre-pubestant tits and send them to their horny pre-teen boyfriends whose public hairs are barely sprouted?

I remember the days when it was strictly against the rules to chew gum in class or write notes. Now, all the brats are texting and sending photos and calling each other on vibrate and it's just like... what the fuck? Seriously. What the fuck?

Parents these days spoil their kids so much, I just wanna smack the shit out of them and scream, "This is why your kid's a HATEFUL BRATTY SLUT! Open your eyes!"

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Oh I know what you mean Kenny.

Our high school was built brand new in 1970 and included the graces 7 through 12. Today they have less students in the school than even I did when I graduated in 1983. For 30 years the school had one parking lot which served the needs of the school very well.

8 years ago they built a brand new middle school here and moved grades 7 to 9 over to the middle school - cutting the size of the staff in half.

But now they have to have 3 parking lots to serve the school because every kid now has their own car. And they aren't old used cars like most of us drove when I went to school. You look at the student parking lots over at the high school now and that is not but 2 or 3 cars are the over 2 to 3 years old. They are all 2007 or 2008 models. I look at it and go what the fuck. And half these kids don't even work - it is just handed to them.

My wife and I paid the down payment on all 3 of our kids first cars and gave them the money to start their insurance and paid the first 3 months. That is the same deal my Dad made with me. If it was good enough for me it was good enough for them. I paid the rest of my car and all 3 of them have paid the rest of their first car. They appreciated it a lot more.

My youngest daughter's best friend is 20 years old. At 20 years old she has totalled 4 brand new cars already, and every time she does her Dad buys her a new one. She doesn't even try to take care of them and will not even slow down her driving. And even at 20 now she has never had a job. She is enrolled in college but only goes to class if she wants too. She flunked out last semester - didn't care. Her father just paid her tuition for this semester again.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Steve Frame
Aug 30 2008, 08:55 PM
But now they have to have 3 parking lots to serve the school because every kid now has their own car. And they aren't old used cars like most of us drove when I went to school. You look at the student parking lots over at the high school now and that is not but 2 or 3 cars are the over 2 to 3 years old. They are all 2007 or 2008 models. .
Makes you wanna key that shit right up, doesn't it? Or at the very least, throw eggs. They're spoiled brats -- all of 'em!

speedbump210

Kenny
Aug 30 2008, 08:23 PM
Kids these days are spoiled bastards. It still baffles me everytime I see a 14-year old whipping out their cell phone in a store. I'm like... really? Do teenagers really need to be instantly accessible 24/7? Do teenagers really need to have camera phones so that they can snap photos of their pre-pubestant tits and send them to their horny pre-teen boyfriends whose public hairs are barely sprouted?

I remember the days when it was strictly against the rules to chew gum in class or write notes. Now, all the brats are texting and sending photos and calling each other on vibrate and it's just like... what the fuck? Seriously. What the fuck?

Parents these days spoil their kids so much, I just wanna smack the shit out of them and scream, "This is why your kid's a HATEFUL BRATTY SLUT! Open your eyes!"
I think that once this next generation comes to power, I'm moving to a deserted Pacific island because they are going to screw up this country big time, I just know it.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Kenny
Aug 30 2008, 08:23 PM
brimike
Aug 30 2008, 08:16 PM

:hail: :rockon:

Kenny
Member Avatar

speedbump210
Aug 30 2008, 08:59 PM
I think that once this next generation comes to power, I'm moving to a deserted Pacific island because they are going to screw up this country big time, I just know it.
You and I both. (Cue Jason Mraz!)

I can't believe how outrageously bratty and slutty the new generation is. I was checking out my neice's MySpace page the other day and while browsing through her friends list, I noticed that most of her friends looked at least the age of 26. Makeup smeared all over their face, their tits pushed up and out in every picture, hair over the eye for the "emo slut" effect... and I was just like... what the HELL is this. Are the parents of these people insane, letting them post pictures like that of themselves all over the web?

At this point, I think it'd be best if a "Children of Men" event occurred where women become physically incapable of having babies, that way we won't have to worry about another generation coming in to make things even shittier than they already are.

Yes, I'm a cynical bastard with no hope, LoL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply