Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nielsen finds audiences are aging; 55+ is fastest-growing demo
Topic Started: Aug 30 2008, 04:55 AM (1,967 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Well lucky for me I AM one of those spoiled kids LOL

So ...

SUCK IT HARD!
Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

It's just as bad with the college brats. Where I work, about 3/4 of the staff is college kids. Of course, there's a rule about being on your cell phone at work (puhleez! I work in a fine dining restaurant. there is *nothing* job related that a server needs a phone for) and they all want to bitch about not being able to use their phone. At any given time, these kids are covertly texting, holding their phones down by their sides and trying not to get caught. What the hell is so damned important that you have to text your friends at work about?! I've only had a cell phone about 3 years now and the only reason I got it is because I did the math and realized that a cell combined with cable internet would be cheaper than having my landline with dsl. I do carry my phone with me to work, but I put it on silent (*not* vibrate). Half the time, I forget I've got it on silent and it's on silent for 3 or 4 days before I remember. In the last year, I think I've used *maybe* 11 hours of time on my phone. I've never understood what's so important that you have to be in constant touch with your friends 24/7. I don't know *anyone* I want to be that much in contact with. lol
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 30 2008, 10:22 PM
I've never understood what's so important that you have to be in constant touch with your friends 24/7. I don't know *anyone* I want to be that much in contact with. lol
Ditto!

That's the exact reason I don't have a cell phone or a MySpace page. People keep begging me to get both, and I absolutely refuse. For one, MySpace is way too addictive and it would allow me to keep in contact with far too many people that I really don't want to keep in contact with. Then with cell phones... I don't want to be reachable 24/7. Sometimes you just want to get away and escape from the world with no phone ringing up your ass all day, every day. But if you have a cell phone, that's impossible to do. And if you actually do decide to turn the phone off and ignore it for a while, you're questioned about, "Why do you have a cell phone if you're gonna turn it off? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? What were you doing?!" So annoying, LoL.

I also find that if you have a cell phone, many workplaces will expect you to keep it on during your days off as a way of having you available as a "just in case" as if you're a doctor on call or something. Who the hell wants to take work home with them?

Cell phones blow.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I get a cell phone for one reason - traveling.

When I get ready to go on a trip I buy enough minutes to take with me. then every month I buy a few and put the cell phone in my car's glove compartment. If I get stranded somewhere then I can use it.

I do not give my cell phone number out to anyone. When I worked as manager the company gave me a cell phone to use. And I had to keep it on all the time. Now my cell phone is never turned on until I get ready to use it.

I have always had one philosophy - when I leave home I leave home. the phone stays there. If people want to get in contact with me then they can get in contact with me then.

People lived on this earth for upteen years without having to worry about if someone needed them while they went grocery shopping.

I heard a psychiatrist give a lecture a few years ago and he said that his colleagues in the profession have talked about this for years and believe the main reason that more people have nervous conditions and need more and more of the psychiatric drugs today is because of all the technology and new innovations that put more stress on people lives. He said in his speech that just say in comparison to 75 years ago a man will hear more in 1 minute today than the average man would have heard or known about in a whole month 75 years ago.

And that is so true. We have more to worry about today because we know more about what is going on. Before what people didn't know didn't worry them and didn't affect them. Also people had the chance to escape - now they just hop in their car, take along the TV, the video games, and the telephone and it is just like being at home - just in a smaller place. All the worries of home are still right there with you even while you are trying to escape.
Edited by Steve Frame, Aug 30 2008, 11:19 PM.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I work for the city and watch on average 50-60 kids aging from 6-12 years old for an after school program and I am SHOCKED at what I hear from some of them. And I am sorry but half of the parents are pure white trash and it's no wonder why these kids act like they do. I don't necassarily agree with mixing races and I couldn't believe when I started this job in March that 1 in every 3 at my center are mixed. I think 50 years from now just about everyone will look the same.

Just about every kid knows every rap song and sing it word for word and damn if that doesn't piss me off because of what most of those songs refer to, not just because its rap. When I see a 7 year old taking it to the floor and shaking her ass and singing the rap like its gospel just has me wondering what is this country coming to?

One time a 2nd grade girl was caught trying to jack off a 5th grader! When we caught them she actually told the boy wait until we get home to finish, my jaw was literally on the ground. She will probably be pregnant by the time she is 13 or 14 and that's just sad.

When I was in the 5th grade I didn't know anything about sex, but these kids sure do. I hear them joking around with each other and quite a few of the 5th graders know a lot fo the terms I didn't know until 8th or 9th grade. Sometimes I wonder if some of these kids are already fucking, that's how much they already seem to know.

I could say so much more, especially about their smart ass mouths but I don't want to get in a bad mood after such a refreshing day.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I have to say I am guilty about using my cell phone a lot, probably 1000 txt messages a month and always use up just about all my minutes on my plan, which is 450 minutes.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Kirk
Aug 30 2008, 11:39 PM
I don't necassarily agree with mixing races and I couldn't believe when I started this job in March that 1 in every 3 at my center are mixed. I think 50 years from now just about everyone will look the same.
Good thing my niece won't be attending your after school program then. :ermmmm:

I don't understand what mixing races has to do with anything in this thread.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Amello
Aug 30 2008, 09:09 PM
Well lucky for me I AM one of those spoiled kids LOL

So ...

SUCK IT HARD!
:funny: LOL!! BRAT!! Don't rub it in!!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Steve Frame
Aug 30 2008, 08:55 PM
Oh I know what you mean Kenny.

Our high school was built brand new in 1970 and included the graces 7 through 12. Today they have less students in the school than even I did when I graduated in 1983. For 30 years the school had one parking lot which served the needs of the school very well.

8 years ago they built a brand new middle school here and moved grades 7 to 9 over to the middle school - cutting the size of the staff in half.

But now they have to have 3 parking lots to serve the school because every kid now has their own car. And they aren't old used cars like most of us drove when I went to school. You look at the student parking lots over at the high school now and that is not but 2 or 3 cars are the over 2 to 3 years old. They are all 2007 or 2008 models. I look at it and go what the fuck. And half these kids don't even work - it is just handed to them.

My wife and I paid the down payment on all 3 of our kids first cars and gave them the money to start their insurance and paid the first 3 months. That is the same deal my Dad made with me. If it was good enough for me it was good enough for them. I paid the rest of my car and all 3 of them have paid the rest of their first car. They appreciated it a lot more.

My youngest daughter's best friend is 20 years old. At 20 years old she has totalled 4 brand new cars already, and every time she does her Dad buys her a new one. She doesn't even try to take care of them and will not even slow down her driving. And even at 20 now she has never had a job. She is enrolled in college but only goes to class if she wants too. She flunked out last semester - didn't care. Her father just paid her tuition for this semester again.
Even what YOU did is incredibly generous, Steve! I mean the down payment and getting the insurance ball rolling! I wish I'd had that opportunity as a kid! I think a lot of it is parents who want their kids to have it better than they did! I know it's the case with my siblings and their children! Their lifestyles are so different than anything I could have imagined as a kid! They all DO have the latest gadgets and brand name this and myface that! You can't blame the kids for eating that stuff up with a spoon when they are raised to expect the best of everything! But the point that started this whole ball rolling IS about "disposable income"! The income of most young people who are friends or family in my life is income that their parents are handing out! So in a lot of cases, the people who are about to hit the dreaded ignored older demo are funding the ones the advertisers covet! Of course there are exceptions and I still see kids who are working several jobs and going to school but the pressure to "keep up with the Joneses" (a phrase that dates ME!) is incredible! I see so many peole being judged on what they drive and where they live and in some cases it's people MY age doing the judging! And we begin to judge and price our way right out of the picture! And raise children who are, in many cases, in for a VERY rude awakening!

FanODays

speedbump210
Aug 30 2008, 08:59 PM
Kenny
Aug 30 2008, 08:23 PM
Kids these days are spoiled bastards. It still baffles me everytime I see a 14-year old whipping out their cell phone in a store. I'm like... really? Do teenagers really need to be instantly accessible 24/7? Do teenagers really need to have camera phones so that they can snap photos of their pre-pubestant tits and send them to their horny pre-teen boyfriends whose public hairs are barely sprouted?

I remember the days when it was strictly against the rules to chew gum in class or write notes. Now, all the brats are texting and sending photos and calling each other on vibrate and it's just like... what the fuck? Seriously. What the fuck?

Parents these days spoil their kids so much, I just wanna smack the shit out of them and scream, "This is why your kid's a HATEFUL BRATTY SLUT! Open your eyes!"
I think that once this next generation comes to power, I'm moving to a deserted Pacific island because they are going to screw up this country big time, I just know it.
Its all starting to kick them in the asses. Gas prices and rising personal debt is going to be a big problem and the kiddies aren't going to be able to stay unprotected. This is the first time in a long while that the under 30 crowd has to face economic uncertainty and they aren't going to like it. I for one won't shed a tear for them or their parents.

Back to the article, what this doesn't address though is that shows are still watched but in a different way. Lots of the younger crowd watches shows on line via official websites and you tube. I give it 10 years before our tvs are just giant computer screens and we watch via the internet.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

FanODays
Aug 31 2008, 06:40 AM
speedbump210
Aug 30 2008, 08:59 PM
Kenny
Aug 30 2008, 08:23 PM
Kids these days are spoiled bastards. It still baffles me everytime I see a 14-year old whipping out their cell phone in a store. I'm like... really? Do teenagers really need to be instantly accessible 24/7? Do teenagers really need to have camera phones so that they can snap photos of their pre-pubestant tits and send them to their horny pre-teen boyfriends whose public hairs are barely sprouted?

I remember the days when it was strictly against the rules to chew gum in class or write notes. Now, all the brats are texting and sending photos and calling each other on vibrate and it's just like... what the fuck? Seriously. What the fuck?

Parents these days spoil their kids so much, I just wanna smack the shit out of them and scream, "This is why your kid's a HATEFUL BRATTY SLUT! Open your eyes!"
I think that once this next generation comes to power, I'm moving to a deserted Pacific island because they are going to screw up this country big time, I just know it.
Its all starting to kick them in the asses. Gas prices and rising personal debt is going to be a big problem and the kiddies aren't going to be able to stay unprotected. This is the first time in a long while that the under 30 crowd has to face economic uncertainty and they aren't going to like it. I for one won't shed a tear for them or their parents.

Back to the article, what this doesn't address though is that shows are still watched but in a different way. Lots of the younger crowd watches shows on line via official websites and you tube. I give it 10 years before our tvs are just giant computer screens and we watch via the internet.
I agree about the Tv thing! I find myself watching Y&R and B&B online more and more and would probably watch DAYS the same way except that I'm not clear on accessing that show! The NBC web site doesn't offer full episodes but I heard something about I Tunes! I don't have working tear ducts but I WOULD shed a tear for the kids who get slammed by the economy! NOT the parents so much because it's the parents who have conditioned the kids to EXPECT a lavish lifestyle and haven't prepared them for hardship! Of course I'm generalizing and this isn't true of all kids or parents! I also feel like I'm living up to my screen name because I sound like an old Fuck writing about "These Kids Today!" LOL!

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Ok, I'm in my twenties but I do agree that parents are spoiling their children and even worse they want to be their FRIENDS and not their parents.

I don't believe that you should allow your child to have any of the following in their bedroom: TV, phone, laptop/desktop, video games.

How are they going to concentrate on their homework with all of those distractions?

There should be one computer in the house, in the living room, for the whole family to use. Parents should block the content their children have access to. They also need to block the access the children have access to on the TV(s) in the home as well.

I could understand giving a child a cell phone at 16 for emergencies, etc. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, it can be one of the free ones.

As far as cars though, that's up to the family and their income. But I don't think a parent should continue to pay for their child's college tuition if their grades are bad and they're not taking it seriously. Let them quit and find a job then.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

downwhtone
Aug 30 2008, 11:54 PM
Kirk
Aug 30 2008, 11:39 PM
I don't necassarily agree with mixing races and I couldn't believe when I started this job in March that 1 in every 3 at my center are mixed. I think 50 years from now just about everyone will look the same.
Good thing my niece won't be attending your after school program then. :ermmmm:

I don't understand what mixing races has to do with anything in this thread.
I just don't agree with it, but that doesn't mean I treat anyone any different. All my cousins who have kids are all of mixed race and I love thier kids I just personally don't agree with it. Sorry if that offended you.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree. Kids these days shock the hell out of me. I work in retail and I see the teenagers and the parents and it just floors me.

I'm only 22 and yeah, I was partially spoiled growing up but I didn't even drive or own a car until I was 18. That's also when I received my first cell phone. I just moved out after turning 21. And let me tell you folks, I worked 12-14 hours a day at a fast food restaurant until I moved into retail. I busted my butt. My first car was given to me (it was my grandma's car for years) but my next car I paid for it, 200 bucks a month for two years.

I did spoil myself, in a way. I've got a decent cell phone, a computer that's only about a year and a half old, a nice flat screen television, an iPod, a TiVo, a laptop. But NONE of it was just handed to me. I paid for all of it (well, credit cards helped, but we won't go there, I'm still paying for that).

I just missed out on the REALLY spoiled age of teeny-boppers. I just shake my head at the insane Miley Cyrus crap, Jonas Brothers, The Hills. I mean, REALLY? All of these garbage reality shows do not help anything either. As morbidly entertaining as they are, they're SO graphic (I'm talking MTV/VH1 reality shows). I mean, at 22, I don't even enjoy them.

I also don't understand the text message, talking all the time thing. I guess I'm lucky as a lot of my old friends live elsewhere and I myspace them every couple of months to see what's up. I work with two of my close friends and live with my other two close friends so I'm lucky I don't go through the phone thing, although even If I didn't live or work with them, none of us are the type to talk 24/7 like that. I mean ... REALLY?

One of my buddies, Nick, is dating this girl who's just ALWAYS around, even to the point of annoying HIM. I mean, the need to be around someone 24/7 is becoming ridiculous! Is it just me?
Edited by KMan101, Sep 1 2008, 09:44 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm with you all.

I have two nieces in college and another niece in high school and a nephew in Jr. High. It's insane. There are 13 year old's carrying Blackberry's. Teens will go to parents at 12-13 now and justify needing a cell phone so they can always be in touch or in case something happens, which are valid reasons but we all know damn well it will be used for mostly dumb reasons. I always laugh when I sometimes have to pick up my nieces or nephew and there are these kids texting, not even looking where they are going as they cross the street. One of them will be killed one day. I just don't get texting. Isn't it easier to just call someone? It takes more time to type something out, especially on a phone. I just don't get it.

And don't even get me started on the Jonas Brother's and Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus shit. Sure's it's like Britney Spears/N Sync all over again but it seems too extreme now. way too extreme.

And these are who the execs want to aim all their efforts at. I do think they may be realizing ever so slowly that audiences are older and that teens just won't stick around for the long run. There is a big difference between the way we all were when we were younger and the way the current teenyboppers and young generation are. Many of us had more patience and were/are still loyal. Today's youth won't stick around. They wait for the next fad. They may be watching something today but once the new hit comes around, it's bye bye. That is why soaps need to realize quick that the older fans is where it's at. That's not to say you don't aim at the young demos or build for the future. It just shouldn't be the main focus. It should be what it was up until 1999-2000 when this youth focus exploded.

It's sad but, while I believe some shows are realizing what we are all saying, I think it's too late and most soaps have still yet to realize it and those that have still have a ways to go. I just feel like this cycle will continue and it's sad because it's one of the big reasons soaps are dying out.

FanODays

Having cell phones makes sense but where I live they aren't allowed in schools beyond your locker. If its seen then it gets taken away. A friend of mine has a great way of dealing with her kids and their cell phones. They have a plan with the minimum number of minutes per month and if they go over, they pay for it. If they don't the phone gets turned off. One month without taught them all that Mom was serious. Now they do chores and save their money and watch their calls.

I fear I sound like my grandparents but it is a different world out there. The younger generation has a much shorter attention span thanks to technology and very little patience. At work I find they cannot hold a thought because emails interupt them every 5 minutes. They want to make their fortune by time they are 25. They feel as if they are entitled to everything.

That is all crashing down right now in a much bigger way than it did in the 80's, Its a hard lesson to learn and many are going to struggle.

The entertainment industry is also struggling because their old formulas aren't working anymore and they don't know what to do. That was one reason the WGA strike was so significant because it was about the future. Networks don't need to just understand what 'kids' watch but when they watch and how they watch.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply