Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week of 9/1
Topic Started: Sep 2 2008, 02:25 PM (4,300 Views)
madelinehawaii

Flying Monkey
Sep 4 2008, 10:11 AM
The only time that John, Marlena, Tony, Anna and Stefano were receiving good airtime was during this all too brief respite of the Olympic storyline and now that it's over it's readily apparent things are speedily headed south once again.

yeah, how dare Higley make the DiMeras actually discuss their own issues for a change
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Reading we are heading into another transition period I will not comment the show anymore. Itīs pretty much pointless untill Gary Tomlin and other new hires names appear in the credits.

I just hope now, when KR was let go, Corday will finally admit his mistake and bring back MM as his love interest. She can easily play a different character, maybe some Belleīs twin Stefano created for whatever reason, so his beloved Shelle stay untouched. Phillip/Belle were the only one couple in the non teen cathegory which really had it all and already started to create a massive following of their own. This show needs this kind of couple and if it means a triangle with Chloe bring it on.

Itīs time to stop all this more realistic, more character driven and more whatever nonsense and get back to what people really expect from DAYS. Good passionate couples with chemistry, a lot of romance and crazy obstacles.

Btw. I really hope the show will not fire Melanie too, because I totally love the actress and Nick will need some love interest anyway. The Paris also seems to be the only story at the moment which still is somewhat coherent and with a direction.

Days4Life

PhoenixRising05
Sep 4 2008, 11:21 AM
I guess since most didn't care for the Paul/dock stuff or Chan, I expected people to just be happy it's over and move on. I mean, maybe you were one that came to enjoy the story. I don't remember. if you did, then I can see your point but if you were one who wanted it over and done and hated it, then I guess I can't understand what difference it makes :laugh: .
I was kind of hot and cold with the Hollingsworth/dock war story. Sometimes I was bored but then something would happen that would kind of pull me in--like when it was revealed that John had Paul locked up down in the basement. What was the story behind that? I expected some devious plan of John's to come to light....and who rolled Paul off the dock into the river in the first place? Did I miss something or was that never explained? And how did Paul escape from the mansion? Just a few episodes before that happened, John was talking about how he'd overhauled the security at the mansion; then all of a sudden, Paul is free and hanging around the Brady Pub. For a detail-loving person like myself, it's frustrating to have gaps in story like that and it makes me less inclined to invest in new storylines, especially ones that I don't find particularly interesting to begin with. For example, why should I bother getting interested in Max and Melanie's adventures if there's a good chance it will just fizzle out in a few weeks? That's why even unpopular stories should be given a decent ending...to retain the viewers' trust.

A good writer should be able to take characters that I don't particularly care about and spin a tale that will draw me in despite myself. A good writer should have the brains to see when a story isn't working and end it quickly but in a way that will respect the viewers and not insult their intelligence.

But we have Dena Higley.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 4 2008, 11:36 AM
Flying Monkey
PhoenixRising05
Sep 3 2008, 10:08 PM
Mitchapalooza
Sep 3 2008, 05:38 PM
Can we please kill off Stephanie/Max/Melanie/Nick/Chelsea/Daniel.

They have been SOOO overkill for the last 6 months I just want to punch someone!
I can see how Stax have been and Chan to an extent but earlier in the year the young cast was hardly featured and Chan and Stax have been cut down on alot until recently. Chan was only on alot last week because their story came to an end. As for Stax, they aren't really being forced on us anymore. Nick has barely been on and Melanie is new so I can't say that is overkill.

John/Marlena/Tony/Anna/Stefano are getting good airtime right now. Sure, it's different now because other stories are being featured too unlike during the Olympics where it was only one story but I see that as a good thing. Having only one or two stories gets old quick.

Before talking about today's show, I kind of want to go back to the points being made earlier about Higley. I think Higley basically is lazy and far too sensitive. She clearly wants to be catered too and if one thing goes wrong, things veer off course. I didn't get that feeling in her last stint because, more or less, I think she was nothing but a seat-filler. I'm convinced they knew JER was going to be forced on the show before she even penned her first show. I think Higley can write. She's showed that. She has alot of years of experience at Days and has penned some good stuff. Her first few months at OLTL were great. She even wrote some good story climaxes especially to the Daniel Colson stuff and, despite it being a ripoff of Sami's execution, she was behind Todd's execution story which was great. During her first stint at Days, she wrote a good ending to Sami/Brandon/Lexie and set up Lumi very well. She can do it. I think she just isn't as passionate as she should be. I think she's still used to just being a writer but not a head writer. As I said, it seems like she's too temperamental and finicky for the position. I also think that Tomlin bringing some organization to the writing team will help. Since April, it's been more or less a free for all but now they will each have defined roles. Higley's second stint has suffered from bad breakdowns and pacing at times. That should help. I'm not saying she is the best for the job but I think the situation will get better and one thing about her is that her stories never lacked direction like they have this stint. I blame that on backstage shit. Her stories aren't always good or executed right but they never lack direction like they have. I still think she will be out though soon.

Now, about today, with the exception of Lucas and Chloe popping in and out (it was story movement in a way but felt out of place), I felt the show had more cohesion today. I did think it was funny how Stefano dealt with them and I enjoyed his continued scenes with Tony and EJ too. Loving this power struggle. Nice touch too having Stefano notice the painting John put up.

Stefano/Victor was great to see. I just love them being allies and love how they tied it to the Paul story. It leaves a lasting ramification in that Victor owes Stefano. I can see some potential down the road here where one of them double-crosses the other. They seem to have the type of relationship where they have both targeted each other and each other's loved ones but they still manage to do business. I think it's more or less they are to not target each other's loved ones right now and things will be civil, which is an agreement that can implode at any moment. I did like how Stefano pulled the strings and let Victor know what was going on. It definitely filled some things in and Stefano helping John out was clever. John is sort of under his thumb again and I like how it was used to prevent John from going after Stefano. Nice ending too with the John/Philip stuff.

The cop shop stuff was ok. Philip/Morgan feels like a waste now after the latest news.

Max/Melanie was very enjoyable. I hope they don't let her go. She's far too talented and she's made Max interesting to me. I find the character interesting. Loved the little Nick appearance.

I did enjoy the Chan scenes today knowing it was the end and RM did seem to wake up today but, as someone else mentioned, SC was not into it at all. You do get the feeling he wanted out of the story and wanted more with LK while RM wants Chan. Melvin was better today and I'm glad it's over. The Chelsea/Theo moment was cute. I like her working at the hospital in this role. I guess we know who Marc was in the casting call. He's Theo's counselor and I can see how he would know Brandon (as was mentioned in the casting call in the scene with Nicole) as Brandon was a pediatric counselor. Nice seeing Lexie too. Too bad whatever she had to do involving her father never made it onscreen. I watched tomorrow's show and it's the next day and Lexie is with Theo, Abe, Steve, and Kayla and Stefano is in scenes with Tony and EJ again. I guess that is yet another consequence of the behind the scenes shit.

I think this has been a very good week despite the disjointed feel and obvious influences stemming from the drama behind the scenes. I'm shocked some don't like it or find it boring as some of the stories many hated are finishing and the vets and Dimera stuff is center stage. I should say that RJ gives a great performance tomorrow and the Nicole/John stuff is fun. The Dimera scenes are very good too tomorrow.
Stax has been featured heavily off and on throughout the year and Chan since its inception and both were ratings disasters. The Chan story has come to an end??? Stax isn't being forced on us anymore??? I'd have to disagree. As for Melanie, well I can say newbie overkill!

The only time that John, Marlena, Tony, Anna and Stefano were receiving good airtime was during this all too brief respite of the Olympic storyline and now that it's over it's readily apparent things are speedily headed south once again.

Having one main story with one or two smaller satellite stories is precisely how Days used to operate once upon a time. Unlike the current style which is to put everybody and their brother in a storyline and give them airtime. Devoting five minutes a week to most of the stories in meaningless and forgettable scenes that pointlessly drag on for eternity or fall by the wayside, entirely forgotten. This is supposed to keep people interested and tuning in??? That might work well for the short attention span generation but it doesn't work for me.

I agree that Higley is beyond lazy but as far as her being sensitive I would have to disagree and the writing reflects that. I don't really care about Higley as a person, I don't care to read about her daily life on her blog. Because it isn't about her it's about the job she was hired to do. If anything I think Higley has shown what a talentless hack she truly is. After being spoiled for that short period of time, when things were moving in the right direction with all the right players in the forefront, now that we're back to Higley's writing the differences are dramatic and not in a good way.

I didn't watch OLTL so I can't comment on her writing there but her first tenure at Days wasn't any better than it is now. I didn't like her writing then and I don't like it now. She certainly isn't head writer material and I wouldn't even want her on staff unless well supervised. I seriously doubt things will get much better with Tomlin in charge he can't make Higley be talented.

I thought the opposite, the show was a jumble. Far too many characters saying very little, much too confusing and disjointed and Stefano's abrupt change today saddened me.

I wouldn't think of Stefano and Victor as allies, they're both using each other to obtain something they want, but both men were always rivals in the past. Moving the story in that direction particularly at this juncture is ridiculous to say the least, Stefano has so much more to focus on right now. No need to add anymore layers to the story. I can't see the trees for the forest as it is now. Save it for another storyline, you can't included every single character in every story or feature them all weekly.

Phillip and Morgan were a waste long before now. Knowing that I won't have that newbie shoved down my throat any longer is a godsend.

Max and Melanie send me seaching for the mute button. The entire plot is a snore and the dialogue is insipid and there is far, far too much Melanie. Higley has no clue how to introduce a new character. I've always found Max a little boring since they brought him back, I could tolerate him as a supporting character much better than as a lead character.

Unlike you I'm not so sure this is the end of Chan, but one can only hope. But that type of uber ickiness is right up Higley's alley. No I didn't get that SC wanted out of the story and wanted more with LK, that's reading a lot into just a rather lackluster performance. Perhaps he's bored with the material he's being given or maybe he just isn't that great of an actor. Everyone in those scenes looked bored and just like they were going through the motions rather than putting forth any real effort.

I'm not a Chelsea fan and this autism story is going now where fast and has very little to with Abe and Lexie or even Theo really, just Higley trying to showcase her favorite cause and going about it all wrong.

Higley's work always leaves me with a disjointed feeling, now and before. She cannot write anything indepth, only discombobulated events that never tell the whole story, and lack any real emotion. So therefore the stories never suck you into and keep you there.

For a fleeting moment we saw all the right people featured center stage. Now we're back to throwing as many characters as possible into as many scenes as possible even if they don't belong or serve no real purpose in being there. It's distracting and so makes it a little harder to notice just how bad the writing really is. You really need a scorecard to keep up with all the characters in all the storylines that Higley tries to do all the same time.

One thing I've learned from all the backstage drama is who Higley likes to write for and who she doesn't like to write for and that differs radically from what the majority of the audience wants. Once again it isn't about Ms. Higley, who she is or what she wants, or what her personal causes are she was hired to write a good show that will bring in viewers and raise the ratings and she doesn't know how.
Wow...do we differ alot.

Stax was being forced on us earlier this year for sure but now? July and August were hardly Stax or Chan dominated. Hell, we never even saw Chan do anything until they broke up last week. Surely, the Stax/Trent/Melanie stuff will be on more now because the story is ending but after an August full of vets, I just can't see how anyone can say looking at the past two months that Stax/Chan/Nick/Melanie were forced on people. Not in those two months.

In this day and age, you can't just have one story. Days did that last year with the Vendetta and Touch the Sky and it crashed and burned. What happens if you have one story and it bombs? There is nothing to keep people watching. Even a good story won't be liked by someone so if some don't like that one story, you lose them. You can have several stories and still make it work. In fact, most fans enjoy having it work like that because it provides something for everyone. Unless you only watch for one or two people or a couple, I can't see how anyone can say not having multiple stories going on is a good idea. Every soap has been doing that for decades, except PC when it went to the arc format. I don't know what Days your talking about but I've been watching since the early 80's and back then it still had multiple stories sharing the spotlight.

I know many disagree on the fact that Higley can write but I do think if people looked back, they can see that. I'm not saying I want her on Days and I still doubt the autism stuff was her idea. I think that was all NBC and Corday. I don't care how terrible a writer is. If your writing someone that is very personal, you give it more focus and more attention and that isn't happening. Dena did not seem like someone who was inspired to write the story. She came off forced. You can always tell when someone is into what they are doing and it was clear that Dena was not the one who wanted the story. If she wanted it, she would be more into it. Just trying to be fair.

People also don't understand it can't be about who you want on everyday. You have to think about the big picture and also about others. everyone has their favorites and why should their wants be slighted just so some can get what they want? Alot of today's fans are selfish. They are even as bad as TPTB who are accused of forcing their own agendas. The fans that run around pushing for what they want without even thinking about those who have other ideas of what they want are just as bad as the producers and writers who force things on fans. It's the same thing. Fans try to force the show's hand and the show forces things on the fans. It's a shame because not only has the quality of each soap gone downhill but, in some ways (and I'm not saying every fan is like this), the quality of the fan has gone downhill too. It's all about "Me" or "I" and not enough about what is good for the show and it's fans as a WHOLE.

it's ok though. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because you obviously don't like the show at all right now :laugh:

Yes Stax is still being featured during this Max finds his long lost half-sister snoozefest and they still aren't popular. Chan have been around too recently as well just not nearly as much. I'm sure now that Higley is back in charge we will be overdosing on them again very soon. And those vets who filled August nicely and raised the ratings will be relegated to propping up scenery once again.

And why exactly can't you have one main story in this day and age and two or three satellite stories around it? Not all that much has changed really between now and then with the exception of a rash of talentless writers and pencil pushers who don't have the first notion about what they're doing wanting to fix things that aren't broken. So why is it not possible in this day and age?

The reason the Vendetta and Touch the Sky crashed and burned is because they were both dreadful ideas from the very start and never should have made it to screen. The Vendetta and it's entire rewrite of history (not just changing a few facts here and there) featured all the wrong characters saying and doing all the wrong things. Then to top it off it was poorly executed. Touch the Sky fizzled because it was simply ludicrous. Yeah, I believe that a couple of twenty one year old guys have become commerical airline pilots and now run their own business. Not to mention being surrounded by scantily clad oversexed, underaged girls fawning all over them. That was even worse than trying to swallow twenty something year old Max Brady as a well known race car driver on the big money circuit and eighteen year old Stephanie Johnson was too. Not to mention that Touch the Sky was filled with nothing but newbies. Are we suddenly supposed to care about because their a character's long lost child all grown up and come back to Salem and were in our face constantly without any build up or introductions? Idiocy is doomed to failure.

That's why you make certain you find at least a decent head writer and at best a good one and not whichever hack is available after being fired from some other show. That why stories should be nipped in the bud when things start to vary too far off the path that was successful.

There is only thirty-seven or thirty-eight minutes of actual show per day once the commercial breaks are accounted for. Trying to cram too much into those few minutes really detracts from a story and how involved and invested most people get in it.

When a writer devotes more time to a story it becomes so much richer and developed and enjoyable. That waiting to see what will happen next keeps people tuning in again and again. If they know that they may or may not see their story on today and if they do get lucky it will only be five minutes of some meaningless, hard to follow crap, then why bother at all and the ratings show that people are tuning out, not in.

The Days I'm referring to is the Days I've been watching since the late seventies, all of the eighties and most of early ninties. They always had one major (on occasion two) story with usually two, sometimes three smaller stories. The ranged in arc from two weeks to two months, had a beginning, a middle and an ending. And those were the days when new characters were fewer and farer between and introduced gradually, not crammed down your throat, sucking up all the airtime like it is these days. And those were the days when the lines between major characters and supporting characters were clearly drawn and minor characters did not get a storyline.

I certainly don't want Higley writing for Days. I can't think of a single story that she's written that I've liked. Um, I seriously doubt anyone forced Higley to write this autism storyline, she has an adopted child who is autistic and this is a favorite cause of hers. She should be very passionate about this and giving it lots of attention and focus since it is a such a personal issue to her. You mentioned you noticed that she isn't doing these things.

It's inevitable that someone's favorites can't be on everyday. The head writer needs to think about the big picture and consider the audience favorites and not their own. I like some minor characters but that doesn't mean I want to see them get a storyline. There is only room for so many at the top, someone will always feel slighted.

A lot of today's fans are selfish? How so, aren't they the consumer? Don't they have a right to demand what they want and don't want from the product they're using? I will agree that TPTB have no point in pushing their own agendas if it isn't want the fans want to see, they're simply cutting their own throats by doing so. But it is not the same thing when fans make demands, if they don't like what is being shown otherwise they tune out and there is no more show.

And no for now I don't like what's happening on the show, during all last month I was thrilled though.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I thought today's show was pretty good, although I am slightly confused about the whole Dimera thing.
All of those guys are very vague. What are Tony and EJ going to do to "restore dignity to the Dimera name and legacy?" Ej is going to start the Dimera lawfirm? Tony already has the Dimera advertising....what else can they do?
Why don't they work with Steffie to change his image? Why don't they talk of Steffie's retirement, and let them take over? Or talk to Steffie about growing up and forgetting the revenge thing...and that is why they don't want to work with him.
I don't understand what the big conflict is between all of them. They all need to be more specific.
I do love having Steffie back, and he is looking stronger than ever. Loved his jeans/sport coat look today.

The autism thing is just weird to me. I totally predicted the throwing a fit when it is time to leave the park thing and the throwing the cookie thing, as that is what my 3 year old does when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do. So does autism make a 5 year old act like a 3 year old? I understand that lack of emotional response, but throwing a fit confuses me. I guess there are some limits as to what a child actor can do. Lexie's last scene with Theo telling her he loves her was moving.
I just don't like this story for many reasons...maybe because I CAN'T STAND child actors on soaps...unless they are sleeping...or are like Claire Bear.

John and Nicole were different, but Nicole needs to tell John that he is scaring Marlena with his constant smothering.
Marlena and Trent were creepy, but Marlena is asking for it. I guess they have to go through this weird stage. Their whole relationship right now is confusing me.

Why isn't John at the mansion knowing that Steffie is there?

Oh, and Steffie needs to take out his deed to the mansion, show Tony, EJ and John, then call the cops and get them arrested for trespassing. There is no need for them all to be there, and since Steffie is alive, the other 3 need to go. Why is that so hard?

I am enjoying the show!

Kyrai

Flying Monkey
Sep 4 2008, 02:41 PM
PhoenixRising05
Flying Monkey
PhoenixRising05
Mitchapalooza

They have been SOOO overkill for the last 6 months I just want to punch someone!
I can see how Stax have been and Chan to an extent but earlier in the year the young cast was hardly featured and Chan and Stax have been cut down on alot until recently. Chan was only on alot last week because their story came to an end. As for Stax, they aren't really being forced on us anymore. Nick has barely been on and Melanie is new so I can't say that is overkill.

John/Marlena/Tony/Anna/Stefano are getting good airtime right now. Sure, it's different now because other stories are being featured too unlike during the Olympics where it was only one story but I see that as a good thing. Having only one or two stories gets old quick.

Before talking about today's show, I kind of want to go back to the points being made earlier about Higley. I think Higley basically is lazy and far too sensitive. She clearly wants to be catered too and if one thing goes wrong, things veer off course. I didn't get that feeling in her last stint because, more or less, I think she was nothing but a seat-filler. I'm convinced they knew JER was going to be forced on the show before she even penned her first show. I think Higley can write. She's showed that. She has alot of years of experience at Days and has penned some good stuff. Her first few months at OLTL were great. She even wrote some good story climaxes especially to the Daniel Colson stuff and, despite it being a ripoff of Sami's execution, she was behind Todd's execution story which was great. During her first stint at Days, she wrote a good ending to Sami/Brandon/Lexie and set up Lumi very well. She can do it. I think she just isn't as passionate as she should be. I think she's still used to just being a writer but not a head writer. As I said, it seems like she's too temperamental and finicky for the position. I also think that Tomlin bringing some organization to the writing team will help. Since April, it's been more or less a free for all but now they will each have defined roles. Higley's second stint has suffered from bad breakdowns and pacing at times. That should help. I'm not saying she is the best for the job but I think the situation will get better and one thing about her is that her stories never lacked direction like they have this stint. I blame that on backstage shit. Her stories aren't always good or executed right but they never lack direction like they have. I still think she will be out though soon.

Now, about today, with the exception of Lucas and Chloe popping in and out (it was story movement in a way but felt out of place), I felt the show had more cohesion today. I did think it was funny how Stefano dealt with them and I enjoyed his continued scenes with Tony and EJ too. Loving this power struggle. Nice touch too having Stefano notice the painting John put up.

Stefano/Victor was great to see. I just love them being allies and love how they tied it to the Paul story. It leaves a lasting ramification in that Victor owes Stefano. I can see some potential down the road here where one of them double-crosses the other. They seem to have the type of relationship where they have both targeted each other and each other's loved ones but they still manage to do business. I think it's more or less they are to not target each other's loved ones right now and things will be civil, which is an agreement that can implode at any moment. I did like how Stefano pulled the strings and let Victor know what was going on. It definitely filled some things in and Stefano helping John out was clever. John is sort of under his thumb again and I like how it was used to prevent John from going after Stefano. Nice ending too with the John/Philip stuff.

The cop shop stuff was ok. Philip/Morgan feels like a waste now after the latest news.

Max/Melanie was very enjoyable. I hope they don't let her go. She's far too talented and she's made Max interesting to me. I find the character interesting. Loved the little Nick appearance.

I did enjoy the Chan scenes today knowing it was the end and RM did seem to wake up today but, as someone else mentioned, SC was not into it at all. You do get the feeling he wanted out of the story and wanted more with LK while RM wants Chan. Melvin was better today and I'm glad it's over. The Chelsea/Theo moment was cute. I like her working at the hospital in this role. I guess we know who Marc was in the casting call. He's Theo's counselor and I can see how he would know Brandon (as was mentioned in the casting call in the scene with Nicole) as Brandon was a pediatric counselor. Nice seeing Lexie too. Too bad whatever she had to do involving her father never made it onscreen. I watched tomorrow's show and it's the next day and Lexie is with Theo, Abe, Steve, and Kayla and Stefano is in scenes with Tony and EJ again. I guess that is yet another consequence of the behind the scenes shit.

I think this has been a very good week despite the disjointed feel and obvious influences stemming from the drama behind the scenes. I'm shocked some don't like it or find it boring as some of the stories many hated are finishing and the vets and Dimera stuff is center stage. I should say that RJ gives a great performance tomorrow and the Nicole/John stuff is fun. The Dimera scenes are very good too tomorrow.
Stax has been featured heavily off and on throughout the year and Chan since its inception and both were ratings disasters. The Chan story has come to an end??? Stax isn't being forced on us anymore??? I'd have to disagree. As for Melanie, well I can say newbie overkill!

Having one main story with one or two smaller satellite stories is precisely how Days used to operate once upon a time. Unlike the current style which is to put everybody and their brother in a storyline and give them airtime. Devoting five minutes a week to most of the stories in meaningless and forgettable scenes that pointlessly drag on for eternity or fall by the wayside, entirely forgotten. This is supposed to keep people interested and tuning in??? That might work well for the short attention span generation but it doesn't work for me.

I agree that Higley is beyond lazy but as far as her being sensitive I would have to disagree and the writing reflects that. I don't really care about Higley as a person, I don't care to read about her daily life on her blog. Because it isn't about her it's about the job she was hired to do. If anything I think Higley has shown what a talentless hack she truly is. After being spoiled for that short period of time, when things were moving in the right direction with all the right players in the forefront, now that we're back to Higley's writing the differences are dramatic and not in a good way.

I didn't watch OLTL so I can't comment on her writing there but her first tenure at Days wasn't any better than it is now. I didn't like her writing then and I don't like it now. She certainly isn't head writer material and I wouldn't even want her on staff unless well supervised. I seriously doubt things will get much better with Tomlin in charge he can't make Higley be talented.

I thought the opposite, the show was a jumble. Far too many characters saying very little, much too confusing and disjointed and Stefano's abrupt change today saddened me.

I wouldn't think of Stefano and Victor as allies, they're both using each other to obtain something they want, but both men were always rivals in the past. Moving the story in that direction particularly at this juncture is ridiculous to say the least, Stefano has so much more to focus on right now. No need to add anymore layers to the story. I can't see the trees for the forest as it is now. Save it for another storyline, you can't included every single character in every story or feature them all weekly.

Phillip and Morgan were a waste long before now. Knowing that I won't have that newbie shoved down my throat any longer is a godsend.

Max and Melanie send me seaching for the mute button. The entire plot is a snore and the dialogue is insipid and there is far, far too much Melanie. Higley has no clue how to introduce a new character. I've always found Max a little boring since they brought him back, I could tolerate him as a supporting character much better than as a lead character.

Unlike you I'm not so sure this is the end of Chan, but one can only hope. But that type of uber ickiness is right up Higley's alley. No I didn't get that SC wanted out of the story and wanted more with LK, that's reading a lot into just a rather lackluster performance. Perhaps he's bored with the material he's being given or maybe he just isn't that great of an actor. Everyone in those scenes looked bored and just like they were going through the motions rather than putting forth any real effort.

I'm not a Chelsea fan and this autism story is going now where fast and has very little to with Abe and Lexie or even Theo really, just Higley trying to showcase her favorite cause and going about it all wrong.

Higley's work always leaves me with a disjointed feeling, now and before. She cannot write anything indepth, only discombobulated events that never tell the whole story, and lack any real emotion. So therefore the stories never suck you into and keep you there.

For a fleeting moment we saw all the right people featured center stage. Now we're back to throwing as many characters as possible into as many scenes as possible even if they don't belong or serve no real purpose in being there. It's distracting and so makes it a little harder to notice just how bad the writing really is. You really need a scorecard to keep up with all the characters in all the storylines that Higley tries to do all the same time.

One thing I've learned from all the backstage drama is who Higley likes to write for and who she doesn't like to write for and that differs radically from what the majority of the audience wants. Once again it isn't about Ms. Higley, who she is or what she wants, or what her personal causes are she was hired to write a good show that will bring in viewers and raise the ratings and she doesn't know how.
Wow...do we differ alot.

Stax was being forced on us earlier this year for sure but now? July and August were hardly Stax or Chan dominated. Hell, we never even saw Chan do anything until they broke up last week. Surely, the Stax/Trent/Melanie stuff will be on more now because the story is ending but after an August full of vets, I just can't see how anyone can say looking at the past two months that Stax/Chan/Nick/Melanie were forced on people. Not in those two months.

In this day and age, you can't just have one story. Days did that last year with the Vendetta and Touch the Sky and it crashed and burned. What happens if you have one story and it bombs? There is nothing to keep people watching. Even a good story won't be liked by someone so if some don't like that one story, you lose them. You can have several stories and still make it work. In fact, most fans enjoy having it work like that because it provides something for everyone. Unless you only watch for one or two people or a couple, I can't see how anyone can say not having multiple stories going on is a good idea. Every soap has been doing that for decades, except PC when it went to the arc format. I don't know what Days your talking about but I've been watching since the early 80's and back then it still had multiple stories sharing the spotlight.

I know many disagree on the fact that Higley can write but I do think if people looked back, they can see that. I'm not saying I want her on Days and I still doubt the autism stuff was her idea. I think that was all NBC and Corday. I don't care how terrible a writer is. If your writing someone that is very personal, you give it more focus and more attention and that isn't happening. Dena did not seem like someone who was inspired to write the story. She came off forced. You can always tell when someone is into what they are doing and it was clear that Dena was not the one who wanted the story. If she wanted it, she would be more into it. Just trying to be fair.

People also don't understand it can't be about who you want on everyday. You have to think about the big picture and also about others. everyone has their favorites and why should their wants be slighted just so some can get what they want? Alot of today's fans are selfish. They are even as bad as TPTB who are accused of forcing their own agendas. The fans that run around pushing for what they want without even thinking about those who have other ideas of what they want are just as bad as the producers and writers who force things on fans. It's the same thing. Fans try to force the show's hand and the show forces things on the fans. It's a shame because not only has the quality of each soap gone downhill but, in some ways (and I'm not saying every fan is like this), the quality of the fan has gone downhill too. It's all about "Me" or "I" and not enough about what is good for the show and it's fans as a WHOLE.

it's ok though. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because you obviously don't like the show at all right now :laugh:

Yes Stax is still being featured during this Max finds his long lost half-sister snoozefest and they still aren't popular. Chan have been around too recently as well just not nearly as much. I'm sure now that Higley is back in charge we will be overdosing on them again very soon. And those vets who filled August nicely and raised the ratings will be relegated to propping up scenery once again.

And why exactly can't you have one main story in this day and age and two or three satellite stories around it? Not all that much has changed really between now and then with the exception of a rash of talentless writers and pencil pushers who don't have the first notion about what they're doing wanting to fix things that aren't broken. So why is it not possible in this day and age?

The reason the Vendetta and Touch the Sky crashed and burned is because they were both dreadful ideas from the very start and never should have made it to screen. The Vendetta and it's entire rewrite of history (not just changing a few facts here and there) featured all the wrong characters saying and doing all the wrong things. Then to top it off it was poorly executed. Touch the Sky fizzled because it was simply ludicrous. Yeah, I believe that a couple of twenty one year old guys have become commerical airline pilots and now run their own business. Not to mention being surrounded by scantily clad oversexed, underaged girls fawning all over them. That was even worse than trying to swallow twenty something year old Max Brady as a well known race car driver on the big money circuit and eighteen year old Stephanie Johnson was too. Not to mention that Touch the Sky was filled with nothing but newbies. Are we suddenly supposed to care about because their a character's long lost child all grown up and come back to Salem and were in our face constantly without any build up or introductions? Idiocy is doomed to failure.

That's why you make certain you find at least a decent head writer and at best a good one and not whichever hack is available after being fired from some other show. That why stories should be nipped in the bud when things start to vary too far off the path that was successful.

There is only thirty-seven or thirty-eight minutes of actual show per day once the commercial breaks are accounted for. Trying to cram too much into those few minutes really detracts from a story and how involved and invested most people get in it.

When a writer devotes more time to a story it becomes so much richer and developed and enjoyable. That waiting to see what will happen next keeps people tuning in again and again. If they know that they may or may not see their story on today and if they do get lucky it will only be five minutes of some meaningless, hard to follow crap, then why bother at all and the ratings show that people are tuning out, not in.

The Days I'm referring to is the Days I've been watching since the late seventies, all of the eighties and most of early ninties. They always had one major (on occasion two) story with usually two, sometimes three smaller stories. The ranged in arc from two weeks to two months, had a beginning, a middle and an ending. And those were the days when new characters were fewer and farer between and introduced gradually, not crammed down your throat, sucking up all the airtime like it is these days. And those were the days when the lines between major characters and supporting characters were clearly drawn and minor characters did not get a storyline.

I certainly don't want Higley writing for Days. I can't think of a single story that she's written that I've liked. Um, I seriously doubt anyone forced Higley to write this autism storyline, she has an adopted child who is autistic and this is a favorite cause of hers. She should be very passionate about this and giving it lots of attention and focus since it is a such a personal issue to her. You mentioned you noticed that she isn't doing these things.

It's inevitable that someone's favorites can't be on everyday. The head writer needs to think about the big picture and consider the audience favorites and not their own. I like some minor characters but that doesn't mean I want to see them get a storyline. There is only room for so many at the top, someone will always feel slighted.

A lot of today's fans are selfish? How so, aren't they the consumer? Don't they have a right to demand what they want and don't want from the product they're using? I will agree that TPTB have no point in pushing their own agendas if it isn't want the fans want to see, they're simply cutting their own throats by doing so. But it is not the same thing when fans make demands, if they don't like what is being shown otherwise they tune out and there is no more show.

And no for now I don't like what's happening on the show, during all last month I was thrilled though.
I agree with you FlyingMonkey (cool name).

I'm thrilled with vets getting a storyline and I'll be thrilled with non-vets who get good storylines. But I don't want stories all over the place violating history, being ooc all, wasted in great scenes that don't progress the story.

If you take ten awesome scenes, but the story related to them doesn't go anywhere, it just dies a lame death, it's pointless. I want dramatic scenes that mean something, that make me want to tune in the next day, that make a difference. I don't want to tune in the next day to find out that great scene from the day before is pretty much over and forgotten.

I don't mean to be completely negative. The tossing of storylines just doesn't make me feel warm fuzzy about investing in anything these writers do. I want to feel like I'm going to get a payoff somewhere not a cop out.

Back to hopeful mode.

Kyrai

Alligato
Sep 4 2008, 03:15 PM
I thought today's show was pretty good, although I am slightly confused about the whole Dimera thing.
All of those guys are very vague. What are Tony and EJ going to do to "restore dignity to the Dimera name and legacy?" Ej is going to start the Dimera lawfirm? Tony already has the Dimera advertising....what else can they do?
Why don't they work with Steffie to change his image? Why don't they talk of Steffie's retirement, and let them take over? Or talk to Steffie about growing up and forgetting the revenge thing...and that is why they don't want to work with him.
I don't understand what the big conflict is between all of them. They all need to be more specific.
I do love having Steffie back, and he is looking stronger than ever. Loved his jeans/sport coat look today.

The autism thing is just weird to me. I totally predicted the throwing a fit when it is time to leave the park thing and the throwing the cookie thing, as that is what my 3 year old does when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do. So does autism make a 5 year old act like a 3 year old? I understand that lack of emotional response, but throwing a fit confuses me. I guess there are some limits as to what a child actor can do. Lexie's last scene with Theo telling her he loves her was moving.
I just don't like this story for many reasons...maybe because I CAN'T STAND child actors on soaps...unless they are sleeping...or are like Claire Bear.

John and Nicole were different, but Nicole needs to tell John that he is scaring Marlena with his constant smothering.
Marlena and Trent were creepy, but Marlena is asking for it. I guess they have to go through this weird stage. Their whole relationship right now is confusing me.

Why isn't John at the mansion knowing that Steffie is there?

Oh, and Steffie needs to take out his deed to the mansion, show Tony, EJ and John, then call the cops and get them arrested for trespassing. There is no need for them all to be there, and since Steffie is alive, the other 3 need to go. Why is that so hard?

I am enjoying the show!
Nice post! I agree with every bit of it.

I definitely wish Steffie would get them out. How can someone so powerful have trouble evicting people from his home, lol.

jane1978

Flying Monkey
PhoenixRising05
Flying Monkey
PhoenixRising05
Mitchapalooza

Wow...do we differ alot.

Sorry, but what you want isnīt a show, itīs a museum. The show cannot stop. It doesnīt exist to feature the same couples and characters forever so a few hardcore fans can watch them grew old and move into an old people's home.

It has to feature new characters. And it has to try to create new couples. Otherwise, itīs all just dying. The biggest mistake this show ever did is they kept most of the vets too long and didnīt shift the focus in time.

brimike

jane1978
Sep 4 2008, 03:30 PM

It has to feature new characters. And it has to try to create new couples. Otherwise, itīs all just dying. The biggest mistake this show ever did is they kept most of the vets too long and didnīt shift the focus in time.
I really don't know when that started either. Bo and Hope were off the show for years, and the show did just fine. Shane and Kim left and it was all good. Roman and Marlena were gone for years, and the show was fine. (FYI, I'm a fan of all six of those characters, so I'm not saying I want them gone... just pointing out the show has always gone on.) Sure, they were missed. People wanted them back. Hell, I wanted them back. But back then knew how to foster new characters, bring new characters into the forefront in organic ways. (I'd kill to have Charlotte Ross back as Eve Donovan... the original Sami Brady. LOL!)

At some point in the mid-90's, this cast suddenly got locked in, and nobody was allowed to break away or take a back seat. Everything was frozen, and it ended up paralyzing the whole show so badly, it's never broken free of it.

There has to be a way to organically introduce fresh blood while still keeping focus on the characters people have grown up with. Other soaps do it all the time. I'll never understand why Days is so "stuck in place"

Has any long-term character been introduced, since the aging of the kids under Langan, that's still around? I guess Chelsea's really the only one with any lasting tenure, and even she's not that long. The rest all seem to come and go within a year.
Edited by brimike, Sep 4 2008, 03:56 PM.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

jane1978
Flying Monkey
PhoenixRising05
Flying Monkey
PhoenixRising05
Mitchapalooza

Wow...do we differ alot.

Sorry, but what you want isnīt a show, itīs a museum. The show cannot stop. It doesnīt exist to feature the same couples and characters forever so a few hardcore fans can watch them grew old and move into an old people's home.

I never said the show should or could stop. The formula was toyed with, a well working formula I might add and that's when it all began to go wrong. I never suggested that the same couples be featured forever, I'm only concerned with what's going on right now and what it means to the future of Days.

Are you an ageist who believes that a character over a certain age can't be vital and romantic and excfiting and should just be put out to pasture and forogtten?

I never said the show didn't need to feature some new characters or create new couples. Days started this wave of we must have new blood in order to survive crap back when Langan was writing and the show turned into all teens, all the time. As a result the rankings sank even further. Well here we are eight or so years later and where has it gotten the show?

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

brimike
Sep 4 2008, 03:38 PM
jane1978

I really don't know when that started either. Bo and Hope were off the show for years, and the show did just fine. Shane and Kim left and it was all good. Roman and Marlena were gone for years, and the show was fine. (FYI, I'm a fan of all six of those characters, so I'm not saying I want them gone... just pointing out the show has always gone on.) Sure, they were missed. People wanted them back. Hell, I wanted them back. But back then knew how to foster new characters, bring new characters into the forefront in organic ways. (I'd kill to have Charlotte Ross back as Eve Donovan... the original Sami Brady. LOL!)

At some point in the mid-90's, this cast suddenly got locked in, and nobody was allowed to break away or take a back seat. Everything was frozen, and it ended up paralyzing the whole show so badly, it's never broken free of it.

There has to be a way to organically introduce fresh blood while still keeping focus on the characters people have grown up with. Other soaps do it all the time. I'll never understand why Days is so "stuck in place"

Has any long-term character been introduced, since the aging of the kids under Langan, that's still around? I guess Chelsea's really the only one with any lasting tenure, and even she's not that long. The rest all seem to come and go within a year.
There is a tried and true method of introducing new soap characters and it worked well in the past. That was to gradually bring a new character on. They generally need to be related to or tied to someone of family already on the show and featured in small doses and always as a player in someone elses story in the beginning. And never have too many at once. It was known fact that it takes the audience from six months to a year to warm up to a new character and really start to care about them and I believe that still holds true today.

Today's method is to invent as many new characters as possible and give them all their own stories basically and then ram them down the audience's throats, all the while wondering why the rating keep declining. Something tells me this new method isn't so hot.

brimike

Flying Monkey
Sep 4 2008, 04:24 PM
brimike
Sep 4 2008, 03:38 PM
jane1978

There is a tried and true method of introducing new soap characters and it worked well in the past. That was to gradually bring a new character on. They generally need to be related to or tied to someone of family already on the show and featured in small doses and always as a player in someone elses story in the beginning. And never have too many at once. It was known fact that it takes the audience from six months to a year to warm up to a new character and really start to care about them and I believe that still holds true today.

Today's method is to invent as many new characters as possible and give them all their own stories basically and then ram them down the audience's throats, all the while wondering why the rating keep declining. Something tells me this new method isn't so hot.
Oh, I agree with you completely. I just don't understand how Days got SO left behind. I swear, this show is stuck in 1999. And I just don't get WHY it happened. I keep going over "the history books", trying to figure out where it made the wrong turn... and I'm just at a loss. There have been plenty of moments over the last ten years that I've LOVED... but I can't remember REALLY loving this show for a long continuous stretch of time in I don't even know how long.

I totally get the right way and wrong way to bring new blood in. I just don't get why Days has been so unable to pull it off. Is it some bizarre mandate that only head writers and executive producers get? Because it just doesn't make any sense.

Ellie

brimike
Sep 4 2008, 04:28 PM
Oh, I agree with you completely. I just don't understand how Days got SO left behind. I swear, this show is stuck in 1999. And I just don't get WHY it happened. I keep going over "the history books", trying to figure out where it made the wrong turn... and I'm just at a loss. There have been plenty of moments over the last ten years that I've LOVED... but I can't remember REALLY loving this show for a long continuous stretch of time in I don't even know how long.

I totally get the right way and wrong way to bring new blood in. I just don't get why Days has been so unable to pull it off. Is it some bizarre mandate that only head writers and executive producers get? Because it just doesn't make any sense.
I think it has a lot to do with who the writers have been over the past ten years or so. Dena tends to flood the canvas with newbies, while JER doesn't seem to care much for the 'new blood' and focuses on the vets. Sheffer's writing focuses on a very small group of characters. So, we went from Dena to JER to Hogan to Dena, and as a result, new characters were introduced, then backburnered, then ignored, and now other new characters are being introduced, while the first group of newbies is pretty much gone.

brimike

Ellie
Sep 4 2008, 04:43 PM
brimike

I think it has a lot to do with who the writers have been over the past ten years or so. Dena tends to flood the canvas with newbies, while JER doesn't seem to care much for the 'new blood' and focuses on the vets. Sheffer's writing focuses on a very small group of characters. So, we went from Dena to JER to Hogan to Dena, and as a result, new characters were introduced, then backburnered, then ignored, and now other new characters are being introduced, while the first group of newbies is pretty much gone.
Yeah, I think you're right, Ellie. The other issue is that all three head writers don't seem to want to make an effort to write for characters they didn't create. So every time they've taken over, they've cleaned house of anyone introduced under the previous regime. So none of the new characters ever get developed.

Ellie

brimike
Sep 4 2008, 04:56 PM
Ellie
brimike

Yeah, I think you're right, Ellie. The other issue is that all three head writers don't seem to want to make an effort to write for characters they didn't create. So every time they've taken over, they've cleaned house of anyone introduced under the previous regime. So none of the new characters ever get developed.
Agree, excellent point.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 4 2008, 04:58 PM
brimike
Sep 4 2008, 04:56 PM
Ellie
brimike

Agree, excellent point.
I agree with this too. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember it said that if a head writer creates a character and that character remains on the show after said head writer is gone from the show, that they (the HW) gets some sort of residuals when his/hers created character is used? Is this correct?

brimike

ArizonaDaze
Sep 4 2008, 05:13 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember it said that if a head writer creates a character and that character remains on the show after said head writer is gone from the show, that they (the HW) gets some sort of residuals when his/hers created character is used? Is this correct?
That's been a rumor forever, but there's nothing in the WGA handbook about it, so I'm not sure it's true. Plus, Procter and Gamble owned the characters of Jake and Vicky McKinnon, and Cass and Lila Winthrop, and Donna and Marley Love, which is why they could move them to ATWT.

My guess is that certain esteemed head writers over the years at various soaps have had it written into their contracts, because it seems weird to me that the rumor wasn't based on some semblance of truth. But according to the union, it's not a given.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Thanks, brimike, I knew you would know something about this.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Today's show wasn't bad at all. Yesterday's wasn't either, aside from the Paul Hollingsworth storyline wrapping up. I don't care much for that story at all. But back to today.

The Abe, Lexie and Theo scenes at the park were great! For once, Abe and Lexie felt like actual characters, equal to the big 4, rather than supporting characters that only support the major characters. I know James Reynolds and Renee Jones can handle leading material. They've proven it in the past. And this week, it feels like they're finally getting that opporutnity again. I don't know if it's going to last long though. But the scenes were great. I love how the writers are showing us how affected Lexie is, moreso than Abe right now. In the beginning, it was Abe who was funny about Theo's autism, and you had Lexie, ready to tackle it. But after living with Theo's disorder for a few months, it's starting to take its toll on Lexie and I'm glad we're seeing that. I'm glad her perception about the disorder has changed. It's not going to be a walk in the park, and it's about time she realized it, and it's time they showed it.

I like that they used Steve and Kayla in these scenes as well. It's always great to see characters go in and out of storylines, rather than just being isolated. Lexie and Kayla's scenes were cute. I know they're not best friends. They barely ever had these kind of scenes in the past, but if you didn't know that, you would think they were the best of friends. Mary Beth Evans and Jones have great friendship chemistry, along with Kristian Alfonso when she's inserted. It's great. That was cute. And I like that they're mentioning the hospital board not being happy about the way the lockdown was handled. That was Lexie's job as Chief of Staff to keep the place running in order and she failed. She should be reprimanded for that. Little things like this help make the show more realistic and enjoyable.

Oh, and I loved Lexie's fantasy at the end of what Theo would be if he were normal. That was an awesome touch to add! Kudos to whoever thought of that one. You know that Lexie loves Theo, and would love him in any way, shape or form, but you know that she wishes he were "normal." That was probably my favorite part of today's show.

The pub scenes were pretty boring if you ask me. I hate Trent and I can't wait until Roscoe Born leaves. His time on this show can be so forgettable for me. Typical Higley character. Won't mean shit six months from now.

I'm glad that Marlena is taking her life back, rather than pining for John to regain his memory. That was getting old to watch, considering we've been watching the same thing since January. It's about time Marlena figures that she might as well move on because the old John probably won't come back. I'm ready for John to start pining for Marlena, and in doing so, the old John begins fighting to reimerge and return.

I have to take time out and mention that I absolutely love the way Tony is being written right now. I never saw Tony in the 80s, but from what I've read in summaries, saw in old videos, and heard from older fans, this is the way the real Tony is. He's a torn/grey/complicated character. He's an anti-hero. Tony is not the evil character Reilly tried to make him while writing the show. He is a character that wants to make his father proud, and in doing so, he may resort to doing bad things, but he knows they're wrong and usually tries to fix them afterwards. That's the way Tony should be written, not the one-note cartoon a lot of fans were used to seeing before the reveal that it's been Andre for the past 15 years and not Tony.

The way Stefano ordered Tony around, to do things for him like getting the door or something along those lines, and you saw Tony give Stefano this look of dissatisfication, ponder for a second, but then he did what Stefano ordered him to do. I felt a real father and son connection between them in those scenes. EJ is pretty much the same way. Tony and EJ are pretty much in the same boat, and this is when I like both characters, when they're being written in this grey shade.

The DiMera family scenes have been awesome lately!

I don't know about anyone else, but the show has really turned around for me this week. I mean, this stuff is better than the Olympics stuff and everyone praised that shit. I didn't really like it that much. This is the stuff that I'm tuning into and is goign to make me want to keep watching, which I am doing. I've loved this week so far. And that makes me wonder. Could this be Scott and the actors rewrites?

Everyone just assumed that the Olympics stuff was Scott's rewrites due to the vets being displayed and Stefano's return. However, if you remember one of Higley's blog posts, she said that she had big stuff coming for the Olympics. Maybe Stefano's return was part of her big plan. It fits if you ask me. And if you also ask me, everything that took place during the Olympics reeked of Higley IMO. So I'm going to go on thinking that the Olympic stuff was all Higley, and now, we're getting into Scott's rewrites. That has to be how it is. All of these stories are coming together and they're being written, sort of like Hogan's team used to, with the storylines interweaving with each other, something that was a huge staple on Y&R. This has to be Scott's stuff.

And if you remember, when news broke out weeks ago, it was said that the rewrites would take 6-8 weeks to air. It's been about 6 weeks since that news broke out, meaning the Olympics stuff would have been too soon to be the rewrites.

So that makes me worried. I'm finally enjoying DAYS, but with news that Higley's staying, I'm worried that her boring drab writing will return. What to do?
Edited by DrewHamilton, Sep 4 2008, 05:40 PM.

brimike

ArizonaDaze
Sep 4 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks, brimike, I knew you would know something about this.
Don't quote me on it, Daze. I might be wrong. I just haven't seen anything in writing for all head writers across the board.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply