Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interview with Drake Hogestyn; Interesting backstage info...
Topic Started: Sep 4 2008, 01:02 PM (991 Views)
Ellie

Part One: http://www.bakersfield.com/142/story/541964.html

Part Two: http://people.bakersfield.com/home/Blog/sbranco/32997

PART ONE:

Drake Hogestyn, who plays soulmate to Marlena on the beloved NBC soap, will chat with fans and sign autographs at the KGET Channel 17 Health & Safety Fair 2008. The event features screenings for blood pressure, glucose levels, depression and other conditions as well as demonstrations in yoga, gymnastics and more.

Here’s some of our chat with the man in Black.

What keeps you on the soaps?

I think my character is probably the most interesting character in all of daytime. I’ve worked with the most fabulous actresses in all of L.A. The shifts in my character. I’m just very emotionally attached to and passionate about my character. In all my scripts, they look like chicken tracks. I just make analogies, sidebar notes, I try to break down every single line and nuance and delivery to get the most out of the scenes that I can and not just highlight the words and go there and mail it in. You can’t do that.

Describe these actors in one word. Deidre Hall (Marlena Evans).

Delicious.

Peter Reckell (Bo Brady).

A combination of outdoorsman- greensman. He’s Mr. Green, environmentally sound.

Kristian Alfonso (Hope Brady).

Huggable. Unpretentious ... beautiful inside and out.

Alison Sweeney (Sami Brady).

I just gotta say my daughter.

Joseph Mascolo (Stefano DiMera).

Complex, extraordinarily complex, fabulous man/actor.

PART TWO:

John and Marlena 4eva
In high school I tried desperately to resist “Days of our Lives.” But I succumbed, right around the time the devil possessed Marlena and threatened to tear asunder daytime’s top supercouple. (John and Marlena, of course.) Total classic.

The man who plays the poor doc’s soulmate, Drake Hogestyn, will be at the Rabobank Convention Center Saturday for the KGET Channel 17 Health & Safety Fair. Hogestyn will take part in a 30-minute Q&A at 10 a.m. followed by an autograph-and-photo session and again at 1:30 p.m. with autographs at 2 p.m.

I got to chat with him today. He’s a talker and down-to-earth, so the meet-and-greet should be fun.

Here’s more with Drake:

What’s your favorite storyline of all time?
I think in the course of 23 years I have referred to myself at one point or another with 12 different names.

The storyline where Isabella died. She had pancreatic cancer -- it’s fast, deadly, you’ll be gone in six weeks. I wasn’t Roman anymore. John was going to save her at all costs through the medical field. Two weeks of that didn’t work. He tried two weeks of voodoo and witchcraft to save her. That didn’t happen. The last two weeks the girl was gonna die and it was probably the most powerful two weeks, emotion-wise, for an actor. And there were a lot of breakthroughs personally as an actor to play that deep of a storyline.
This latest incarnation of John Black, he finds out his real name is Ryan DiMera. He’s half DiMera, half Brady. He’s half light, half dark, half good, half bad. Stefano had him killed, run over by a car, and brought together by evil scientist Rolf, who had been waiting years to put a pawn together with the technology today.

John is half-baked right now. He’s short-circuiting a bit.

I started from the basics. I had 12 character traits I wanted to apply to him, you know, unpredictable, emotionally void, and when you start working for those areas and growing because he’s emotionally void, he can say anything he wants to say to you because he can’t possibly hurt your feelings. And a lot of comedy came out of that. His diction, cadence, his speech patterns are different. He’s not given to verbosity. If you ask him a question, he’ll turn around and glean information from you. His dress is different. He wears his shirts buttoned up to the top button and that’s a defense mechanism to keep away from people.

You also have to do certain things with the character to let the audience know there is still John Black.

When doing this it’s like the coal miner that’s trapped underground. People are banging on pipes to hear if there’s a response. And all of a sudden, somebody said, “Did you hear that?”

That’s what I want to give the audience, deep down inside there is still a flicker of humanity. As long as there’s a thread down there somewhere.

I used my granddaughter on the show, all the grownups, John Black had no use for. But the little 3-year-old girl, she got him. It became a huge success with the audience. He could tell her things.

Craziest storyline:
My least favorite storyline was the one that got my character killed ...

Josh Taylor and Wayne Northrop (who both played Roman) ... you had three Romans together in the storyline with Marlena and at one point all three Romans are crowded around Marlena and saying, “I love you, Marlena,” “I love you, Marlena,” “I’ve always loved you, Marlena,” “No, I love you more, Marlena,” “No, I’m the one who loves you most.”

The sound you hear is everyone turning the show off. It’s the death knell for the characters. They’re looking at the show saying, “My God, they’re all playing Roman at one time.”

... I just had a corkscrew in my stomach through that storyline. I didn’t see any way out.

What kinds of off-the-set hijinks do you guys get into?
Not so much anymore. When I first started, there was a lot of that because the hours were very long. We got off at midnight, one o’clock and were back on set at 6 a.m. You get punchy, people breaking the monotony.

We’re on hiatus right now, but when we get in on Monday we’ll be doing seven shows in five days. They want us out at 6 p.m. and we get in at 8 a.m. Those are very full days. Just with the sheer element of no time, there’s not a lot of messing around. The actors come in at full attention. Our contract is up in March of 2009 and we haven’t heard yet about a pick-up. Everyone is rolling up their sleeves, putting their nose to the grindstone.

You might have to ask some of the younger kids. Sometimes downstairs it’s like a dorm room.

Describe Joseph Mascolo, who plays Stefano DiMera.
Let me just tell you a little bit about Joe. We’ll park side by side and we’ll get out and Joe will say, “Hey, Drake, I’m finishing up my house in Arrowhead. Come up and have a beer and fish.” I’ll say, “That sounds great. What did you do your house?”

We’ll walk into the doors of the studio and as soon as he walks in the door (Drake puts on the Stefano accent), “I’m going to take off the whole roof ... “

He walks into the studio and talks like this to everybody all day long. When he walks out the door (Drake gives Joseph his normal voice), “You know, I was thinking if the two of us get together--”

What a powerhouse he can be.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

Those were fun interviews! And I agree with Drake's picks for best and worst storylines. The Isabella dying story was so powerful and sad and very well done. I'm glad they were aware of how we loved the John/Claire scenes; I just wish they had kept her around. (I will never understand why they wrote off Belle/Shawn/Claire.) And, yes, the Alex North storyline, with the three Romans, was ridiculous.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

I agree Drake,I remember the epi where they had him,Josh and Wayne in the same room it was like Roman Brady overkill,the only version of Roman I liked was Drakes,that SL sucked on every level,well actually everything about 2005 sucked all around.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Quote:

Our contract is up in March of 2009 and we haven’t heard yet about a pick-up. Everyone is rolling up their sleeves, putting their nose to the grindstone.

:sheep: :scared:

Quote:

You might have to ask some of the younger kids. Sometimes downstairs it’s like a dorm room.

:roflol:

Thanks for posting Ellie!

Ellie

Pearly
Sep 4 2008, 01:24 PM
Same here.

(And you're welcome for posting!)

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

LOVE him calling Dee ''delicious'',so true,she is one of the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life,most gorgeous out of everyone on DOOL.

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

:hail: Thank you for the post. I have been a fan of Drakes since he first came on Days. I was devastated when they killed him off and cried for days. I love watching him as John be it old or new. He brings so much to the show. I wish I could meet him in person. :makeout: :)

daysfan
Member Avatar

I use to think NBC was gonna just can the show but now I believe, just from how others have sounded, its going to be there's just no announcement yet. The only thing that strikes me weird is how everyone is always like "Oh, its gonna be announced by this and this date" but it never is, however I guess thats just how it goes when you're trying to sort everything out in a new contract.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

doolcrazy
Sep 4 2008, 02:29 PM
:hail: Thank you for the post. I have been a fan of Drakes since he first came on Days. I was devastated when they killed him off and cried for days. I love watching him as John be it old or new. He brings so much to the show. I wish I could meet him in person. :makeout: :)
I cried for months,If I even heard the name John I would burst into tears.Thanks for posting.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I, for one, wish he stuck with the rules and realized the interviewer wanted just one word per description!
Quote Post Goto Top

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Sep 4 2008, 04:50 PM
I, for one, wish he stuck with the rules and realized the interviewer wanted just one word per description!
LOL,Drake ONE word,LOL,not likely,he's loves to talk and talk and talk.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply