Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Big Nicole spoiler *UPDATED*; from CDN TV Guide
Topic Started: Sep 12 2008, 10:06 PM (9,520 Views)
Alligato
Member Avatar

Ellie
Sep 17 2008, 11:17 PM
As for the issue of the characters themselves, I agree completely with ges's excellent post earlier in the thread. Nicole is written as infallible. She's strong, intelligent and powerful, while many of the other characters (particularly the women imo) are often written as indecisive doormats.
Uh, I didn't want to jump in here, but Nicole as strong and powerful???
She cowered every time Trent came into the room, did some of his bidding to appease him, cried in front of him when she tried to confront him, continued to have sex with a man after he called out another woman's name, continues to pine for him while he was distracted by Sami, and is currently freaking out about losing her money because of her stupidity years ago.

Nicole can be weak and strong, sassy and vulnerable, bitchy and heartless yet soft and sincere.
This is what makes Nicole such a great character.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Alligato
Sep 18 2008, 01:19 PM
Uh, I didn't want to jump in here, but Nicole as strong and powerful???
She cowered every time Trent came into the room, did some of his bidding to appease him, cried in front of him when she tried to confront him, continued to have sex with a man after he called out another woman's name, continues to pine for him while he was distracted by Sami, and is currently freaking out about losing her money because of her stupidity years ago.

Nicole can be weak and strong, sassy and vulnerable, bitchy and heartless yet soft and sincere.
This is what makes Nicole such a great character.
But that's exactly it. You've worded it perfectly - she is a tragic figure, yet everything she does or goes through makes her character even stronger. Higley is writing her as all character traits rolled up in one, which makes sense because in my opinion, the rest of the characters are being written as pretty bland. I guess what I'm saying is, I wish Higley would distribute the character traits more evenly among the characters, lol.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Sep 18 2008, 12:59 PM
I have no issue with your view, Ellie, and if I'm reading it wrong, I apologize. I guess we disagree regardless but I think we both have differing expectations of the show and that is where the issue is.
Thanks - like I said, I think we're just going to have to disagree (completely!) on this issue. I think you're right, you and I have very different opinions of Dena's writing and perhaps how the characters should be written in the first place.

spring

Ellie
Sep 16 2008, 10:34 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 16 2008, 10:17 PM
It's not like they are taking Melanie and making her a lead.
But according to your argument, why would it be a problem if they did?
I agree with Phoenix....and when they changed it years ago, that's when it started slipping...big time.

It would be o.k. with Melanie...if they took more than a few seconds to build and get the character vested in a s/l....that's the only way any character can work!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply