Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Daily spoilers for wk of 9/15
Topic Started: Sep 13 2008, 02:46 PM (3,839 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow...I couldn't disagree more and I will just leave it at that. I could argue with you all day and it wouldn't change a thing so it's not even worth my time. I actually think your post proved my points for me.

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 17 2008, 01:54 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 01:53 AM
Wow...I couldn't disagree more and I will just leave it at that. I could argue with you all day and it wouldn't change a thing so it's not even worth my time. I actually think your post proved my points for me.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I think you've proven my point.

Also in an earlier post you said that James Reynolds has been on Days for years and has played two characters?

Ok, I'll bite, Abe and who else?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Flying Monkey
Sep 17 2008, 02:06 AM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 01:53 AM

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I think you've proven my point.

Also in an earlier post you said that James Reynolds has been on Days for years and has played two characters?

Ok, I'll bite, Abe and who else?
I said Renee Jones did. Not JR.

By the way, I will respond to your post tomorrow. It's late and I have a funeral to go to in the morning. I wasn't going to respond but your post has changed my mind.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 02:08 AM

By the way, I will respond to your post tomorrow. It's late and I have a funeral to go to in the morning. I wasn't going to respond but your post has changed my mind.

Well actually you said RJ right after mentioning James Reynolds. I wasn't the only one slightly confused since I didn't read the post originally and was alerted to it by someone asking who else had James Reynolds played.

Even though Renee Jones has been on for twenty years and played two parts doesn't entitle her character to a major storyline. Suzanne Rogers has been on for nearly forty years and we don't see Maggie in her own major storyline. Josh Taylor has been on longer and played two different roles and we all know he should have been gone yesterday.
Edited by Flying Monkey, Sep 17 2008, 05:30 AM.

cassie1013

I agree that Abe and Lexie are vets, but the major problem I have with them getting a story is that they suck. Plain and simple, I don't think that they have much viable chemistry as a couple, and the Abe/Lexie story should have been put to an end a LONG time ago. Seriously, what other character has had THIS many affairs in a soap opera marriage whilst managing to avoid divorce??

If this were anyone else on DAYS, the pairing of Abe and Lexie would have been long gone, but DAYS obviously buys into the taboo and keeps them together because they're both black (JMO...not in a racist way or anything, but I do think that's one of the reasons they continue to keep them together).

I LOVE Renee Jones and I am so so so happy she is at the frontburner - I always am - it's just that the character of Abe brings her down so much. He's a boring, by the book cop..maybe if they gave him something else interesting to do we wouldn't be complaining so much. Look at the character of Lexie - she's in the highly coveted position of Chief of Staff, but she's the daughter of an internationally known mobster. A little internal good vs. evil never hurt anybody, and also, the fact she is biracial etc... there's a lot they can do with her aside from plopping her into this awful story with Abe. I am guessing lots of writers have taken note of this too, hence we ended up with Lexie and 100 affairs LOL. If they are so gungho on an autism storyline, fine, but they need to do it in a way where it's not alienating Lexie from her entire family which is core (!!!) to the show. How much more interesting would it be to have Stefano involved? Lexie doesn't want him involved, but since Theo's one of his 'heirs' and his grandson, he continues to butt in blah blah blah. PSAs are nice and dandy, but DAYS has had a terrible past of doing them justice, so the writers should have incorporated it more into an umbrella storyline with the rest of the DiMera's.

I'm guessing that there is a sizable group of people who agree regarding Abe/Lexie, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are "taking" time from bope, jarlena, stayla or whoever.

Sindacco

cassie1013
Sep 17 2008, 04:25 AM
I agree that Abe and Lexie are vets, but the major problem I have with them getting a story is that they suck. Plain and simple, I don't think that they have much viable chemistry as a couple, and the Abe/Lexie story should have been put to an end a LONG time ago. Seriously, what other character has had THIS many affairs in a soap opera marriage whilst managing to avoid divorce??

If this were anyone else on DAYS, the pairing of Abe and Lexie would have been long gone, but DAYS obviously buys into the taboo and keeps them together because they're both black (JMO...not in a racist way or anything, but I do think that's one of the reasons they continue to keep them together).

I LOVE Renee Jones and I am so so so happy she is at the frontburner - I always am - it's just that the character of Abe brings her down so much. He's a boring, by the book cop..maybe if they gave him something else interesting to do we wouldn't be complaining so much. Look at the character of Lexie - she's in the highly coveted position of Chief of Staff, but she's the daughter of an internationally known mobster. A little internal good vs. evil never hurt anybody, and also, the fact she is biracial etc... there's a lot they can do with her aside from plopping her into this awful story with Abe. I am guessing lots of writers have taken note of this too, hence we ended up with Lexie and 100 affairs LOL. If they are so gungho on an autism storyline, fine, but they need to do it in a way where it's not alienating Lexie from her entire family which is core (!!!) to the show. How much more interesting would it be to have Stefano involved? Lexie doesn't want him involved, but since Theo's one of his 'heirs' and his grandson, he continues to butt in blah blah blah. PSAs are nice and dandy, but DAYS has had a terrible past of doing them justice, so the writers should have incorporated it more into an umbrella storyline with the rest of the DiMera's.

I'm guessing that there is a sizable group of people who agree regarding Abe/Lexie, it has nothing to do with the fact that they are "taking" time from bope, jarlena, stayla or whoever.
ITA, that's why I say make Lexie single or bring Brandon back so she has someone to fuck with.

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Sep 15 2008, 04:44 PM
Flying Monkey
Sep 15 2008, 01:28 PM
Sindacco
Sep 13 2008, 05:36 PM
Frankly I'm sick of the show trying to recapture the 80s.
I don't think that the show is trying to recapture the 80's. For the past eight or nine years now Days has done the complete opposite of that. They threw out the formula that worked. I want to stress the world formula here, I'm not talking about individual characters or couples but about method. And opted instead to pursue their own agendas and visions and completely ignore what the audience wanted.

Days was around for fifteen or so years before the golden hayday of the 80's. It was a popular show, Ted Corday followed a strict formula and always considered what the audience wanted or thought first and that worked well for a very long time.

The new formula was to hire the most talentless hacks available. With a penchant for those recently fired for driving down the ratings on other shows. Flood the show with newbies and teens, the prettiest and most vapid underwear models around and then shove them down the audience's throat. Rewrite history at every turn, not just changing minor facts or dates around but entire histories obliterated. And one of Higley's favorites, let's give everybody their own boring story.

That's done wonders for the ratings hasn't it? Nine years of decline and people wonder why the fans pine for the good old Days. :shrug:
Really? This show is still focusing on the same damn couples it was back then so how is that different? Everytime there is a plan to save Days it involves the same old tired devices. Supercouples, Stefano, romantic adventures, and what have you. That is not going to save Days. As I said in my last post, many fans have become selfish. It's all about what they want but not what is best for the show. Any fan can say that what they want is what will be good for the show but that isn't necessarily true. Days was an even better show before the 80's and before supercouples became the end all to be all. The show was about what soaps should be about to this-drama. Good, solid character driven drama. It didn't matter what characters had the stories. The show was an ENSEMBLE. That is what soaps are supposed to be yet, especially in Days' case, they aren't allowed to be because so many fans cry for the same old tired story ideas involving the same old characters. I love those characters but how much shit can they possibly go through? How many times can Bope go on a romantic adventure? How many times can J&M battle Stefano? For heaven's sake, Days had to "kill" John and reinvent the whole character just to give him and Marlena a story that was fresh. How sad is that?

The show has relied way too long on the same characters. Does that mean get rid of them? No. It just means that more emphasis should be on the future by now. In the 80's Days recognized that fact and pushed Bope, Steve/Kayla, etc on fans. It's long past time that happen again. Shelle could've led that or even Phelle. The young cast in the past few years is talented enough. Sure, the writing doesn't always back them up but alot of the time some fans don't even give them a chance. They just write them off because they are "newbies" or not one of their faves or couples. Some fans say that it's the show's job to make them interested in other characters and then they turn around and say they only watch their faves or what they want to watch. How can you learn to like any other characters or invest when you don't even take the time to try to invest or get used to them? It's the show's job but there have been times when the show did that job and it was lost on many fans because they only watched what they wanted.

The vets are important. They need to be featured but the issue is that many fans limit the story possibilities. Some will get upset the minute their couple has an argument or faces a threat to their relationship. They say they want angst but when they get it, they complain. Then you have the fact that these couples are beyond triangles and if a outside threat is introduced, fans complain that the story becomes more about the threat then the couple. Well, that is kind of the point since the threat to the couple is pretty much driving the story. Let's also remember that these very same fans call for the same things all the time...romance, adventures, supercouples. What many of these fans fail to realize is that not everyone wants that. Look at the ratings. Do you think they will go up if J&M are having their latest roll in the hay? Hell no. The ratings go up if there is plane crash and lives are in danger. Ratings are driven by plot movement and events. They are driven by drama. They no longer are driven by little moments that make soaps what they are. They don't fall at all in line with what many of these fans scream for. Not at all.

So, what is the show to do? Well, in no way should it abandon the little moments like family interaction, tradition, etc. It needs those but what the show needs to do is to combine all it's elements. Character-driven, plot-driven, camp, serious drama, supercouples, young cast...combine it all. Balance the cast and balance all these elements. Try to give every fan a piece of what they want. There is no pleasing anyone by focusing on just one aspect because pleasing one group will piss off another. Fans just need to understand that they won't always get what they want from ANY show because no one fan should be more important then another, just like no one character or couple should be. I think some fans, if they ever cared about this show, need to start considering and pushing for what is best for the show as a whole and not their own agenda. This show won't be around otherwise and then no one wins if it gets cancelled. The show does listen but the issue is it has to listen to so many different fans wanting different things. If fans unite and come to an understanding that the focus needs to be on what is best for the show as a whole and present ideas that go along with that notion, then I think the show can take that sort of feedback and present a better product. It does the show no good to keep dealing with what it is, which is fan feedback that is so convoluted and all over the place that it's no surprise the show changes gears as much as it does out of panic.

I also disagree hugely with the notion that some characters are just leads or supporting. Soaps are ensembles and I do think any character can lead a story. No one should lead a show but it does not hurt to give characters like Abe, Lexie, Victor, Caroline, Kate, etc a story where they can shine. Those characters always have to play second fiddle to the supercouples and its sad because most of them have close to or just as many years at Days as the supercouples do. They deserve their chance to shine. They've been loyal too and they have many fans that deserve to see them in big stories. They've been part of big story in the past and proven they can handle it. Maybe if they were given big story more often, some of fans complaining about them getting big story would feel differently but they were never given that chance due to more 80's and supercouple pandering. Yes, some characters drive a show more then others but that does not mean you just automatically shove certain characters aside with the thinking that they can't have their own frontburner story. Those characters actually have more story potential as they haven't had as much to deal with so things can be fresher in regards to what material they are given, which helps make the canvas fresher, something Days is desperately in need of.

You make many excellent points and I want to raise another and that is the stories themselves. I agree that Bope and J&M have been stuck with the same stories for years, literally. I think instead of using the same gimmicks, they need to be inventive and come up with some new things. How about a true health crisis for one of the fab 4 and not like that shit we got with Bo because that was nothing more than a way to introduce Dr. God and have his lust after a child.

Days could admit that the fab 4 are aging and do a menapause story for one of the ladies and let that cause some havoc. They could do a breast cancer storyline (didn't they start one with Kate) and let that play out.

The stories need to come from within and be organic to the characters rather than some big bad evil force from outside. That is why the autism storyline has promisel but so far its not playing out to its potential.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Sep 17 2008, 07:55 AM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 15 2008, 04:44 PM
Flying Monkey
Sep 15 2008, 01:28 PM
Sindacco
Sep 13 2008, 05:36 PM
Frankly I'm sick of the show trying to recapture the 80s.
I don't think that the show is trying to recapture the 80's. For the past eight or nine years now Days has done the complete opposite of that. They threw out the formula that worked. I want to stress the world formula here, I'm not talking about individual characters or couples but about method. And opted instead to pursue their own agendas and visions and completely ignore what the audience wanted.

Days was around for fifteen or so years before the golden hayday of the 80's. It was a popular show, Ted Corday followed a strict formula and always considered what the audience wanted or thought first and that worked well for a very long time.

The new formula was to hire the most talentless hacks available. With a penchant for those recently fired for driving down the ratings on other shows. Flood the show with newbies and teens, the prettiest and most vapid underwear models around and then shove them down the audience's throat. Rewrite history at every turn, not just changing minor facts or dates around but entire histories obliterated. And one of Higley's favorites, let's give everybody their own boring story.

That's done wonders for the ratings hasn't it? Nine years of decline and people wonder why the fans pine for the good old Days. :shrug:
Really? This show is still focusing on the same damn couples it was back then so how is that different? Everytime there is a plan to save Days it involves the same old tired devices. Supercouples, Stefano, romantic adventures, and what have you. That is not going to save Days. As I said in my last post, many fans have become selfish. It's all about what they want but not what is best for the show. Any fan can say that what they want is what will be good for the show but that isn't necessarily true. Days was an even better show before the 80's and before supercouples became the end all to be all. The show was about what soaps should be about to this-drama. Good, solid character driven drama. It didn't matter what characters had the stories. The show was an ENSEMBLE. That is what soaps are supposed to be yet, especially in Days' case, they aren't allowed to be because so many fans cry for the same old tired story ideas involving the same old characters. I love those characters but how much shit can they possibly go through? How many times can Bope go on a romantic adventure? How many times can J&M battle Stefano? For heaven's sake, Days had to "kill" John and reinvent the whole character just to give him and Marlena a story that was fresh. How sad is that?

The show has relied way too long on the same characters. Does that mean get rid of them? No. It just means that more emphasis should be on the future by now. In the 80's Days recognized that fact and pushed Bope, Steve/Kayla, etc on fans. It's long past time that happen again. Shelle could've led that or even Phelle. The young cast in the past few years is talented enough. Sure, the writing doesn't always back them up but alot of the time some fans don't even give them a chance. They just write them off because they are "newbies" or not one of their faves or couples. Some fans say that it's the show's job to make them interested in other characters and then they turn around and say they only watch their faves or what they want to watch. How can you learn to like any other characters or invest when you don't even take the time to try to invest or get used to them? It's the show's job but there have been times when the show did that job and it was lost on many fans because they only watched what they wanted.

The vets are important. They need to be featured but the issue is that many fans limit the story possibilities. Some will get upset the minute their couple has an argument or faces a threat to their relationship. They say they want angst but when they get it, they complain. Then you have the fact that these couples are beyond triangles and if a outside threat is introduced, fans complain that the story becomes more about the threat then the couple. Well, that is kind of the point since the threat to the couple is pretty much driving the story. Let's also remember that these very same fans call for the same things all the time...romance, adventures, supercouples. What many of these fans fail to realize is that not everyone wants that. Look at the ratings. Do you think they will go up if J&M are having their latest roll in the hay? Hell no. The ratings go up if there is plane crash and lives are in danger. Ratings are driven by plot movement and events. They are driven by drama. They no longer are driven by little moments that make soaps what they are. They don't fall at all in line with what many of these fans scream for. Not at all.

So, what is the show to do? Well, in no way should it abandon the little moments like family interaction, tradition, etc. It needs those but what the show needs to do is to combine all it's elements. Character-driven, plot-driven, camp, serious drama, supercouples, young cast...combine it all. Balance the cast and balance all these elements. Try to give every fan a piece of what they want. There is no pleasing anyone by focusing on just one aspect because pleasing one group will piss off another. Fans just need to understand that they won't always get what they want from ANY show because no one fan should be more important then another, just like no one character or couple should be. I think some fans, if they ever cared about this show, need to start considering and pushing for what is best for the show as a whole and not their own agenda. This show won't be around otherwise and then no one wins if it gets cancelled. The show does listen but the issue is it has to listen to so many different fans wanting different things. If fans unite and come to an understanding that the focus needs to be on what is best for the show as a whole and present ideas that go along with that notion, then I think the show can take that sort of feedback and present a better product. It does the show no good to keep dealing with what it is, which is fan feedback that is so convoluted and all over the place that it's no surprise the show changes gears as much as it does out of panic.

I also disagree hugely with the notion that some characters are just leads or supporting. Soaps are ensembles and I do think any character can lead a story. No one should lead a show but it does not hurt to give characters like Abe, Lexie, Victor, Caroline, Kate, etc a story where they can shine. Those characters always have to play second fiddle to the supercouples and its sad because most of them have close to or just as many years at Days as the supercouples do. They deserve their chance to shine. They've been loyal too and they have many fans that deserve to see them in big stories. They've been part of big story in the past and proven they can handle it. Maybe if they were given big story more often, some of fans complaining about them getting big story would feel differently but they were never given that chance due to more 80's and supercouple pandering. Yes, some characters drive a show more then others but that does not mean you just automatically shove certain characters aside with the thinking that they can't have their own frontburner story. Those characters actually have more story potential as they haven't had as much to deal with so things can be fresher in regards to what material they are given, which helps make the canvas fresher, something Days is desperately in need of.

You make many excellent points and I want to raise another and that is the stories themselves. I agree that Bope and J&M have been stuck with the same stories for years, literally. I think instead of using the same gimmicks, they need to be inventive and come up with some new things. How about a true health crisis for one of the fab 4 and not like that shit we got with Bo because that was nothing more than a way to introduce Dr. God and have his lust after a child.

Days could admit that the fab 4 are aging and do a menapause story for one of the ladies and let that cause some havoc. They could do a breast cancer storyline (didn't they start one with Kate) and let that play out.

The stories need to come from within and be organic to the characters rather than some big bad evil force from outside. That is why the autism storyline has promisel but so far its not playing out to its potential.
That is exactly what I'm saying.

I want variation. Not the same shit all the time. The show can have romance but enough of the love stories with Steve/Kayla, J&M, and Bope. They are already in love. There is no damn need and the whole finding their way back to each other thing is overdone. In fact, that is an understatement.

Let's give these characters realistic challenges. Marlena facing career issues, John facing a mid-life crisis. Hope being Commisioner is a good story for her and Bo so that is a good idea on Dena's part for them. Have something from Steve's past come back to haunt him. Maybe Steve could've killed someone while working for the Vitali's or while being with Stefano. Have someone from the deceased family come back and have Steve and Kayla come to grips with his past and the life he led. Enough of the same old sht. Realistic drama like that is the way to go.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Flying Monkey
Sep 17 2008, 04:21 AM
PhoenixRising05

Well actually you said RJ right after mentioning James Reynolds. I wasn't the only one slightly confused since I didn't read the post originally and was alerted to it by someone asking who else had James Reynolds played.

Even though Renee Jones has been on for twenty years and played two parts doesn't entitle her character to a major storyline. Suzanne Rogers has been on for nearly forty years and we don't see Maggie in her own major storyline. Josh Taylor has been on longer and played two different roles and we all know he should have been gone yesterday.
It was an error on my part. Sorry. Kind of have alot on my mind right now.

Now, on to your post, what gives characters like Steve and Kayla the right to have a frontburner story? Afterall, RJ has been on longer then both of them. As has JR. Suzanne Rogers had big story before the big 3 supercouples came along and knocked her and Doug, Julie, etc out of the limelight. People forget that the rise of Bope and the other couples pushed other characters aside and into supporting roles, which they remain in until this day. That was unfair too at the time. Days could never get away with that now. Corday tried last year and that is fine because the show needs to gradually move the youth and other characters on to the frontburner. It can't pass the torch the way it did in the 80's That would never work now.

Now, I'm not going to respond to your long post. All I will say is that I'm not against the supercouples. I love them all. I just want different stories and not the sale old junk, which I mentioned in my post above. Many fanbases want the romantic adventures and love stories and I think that has just been done way too much with the big 3 couples. Plus, they are already in love so what is the point? I also have no issue with every fanbase. There are some out there that are horrible and only out for themselves and who they like. That is who I'm speaking about as selfish. That doesn't include everyone in a fanbase or every fanbase. I'm generalizing but my post was long enough without repeating over and over again the word SOME before fans or fanbases.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I apologize if I'm being harsh. It's been a long week for me and I just see this whole issue completely differently. I probably would spend more time responding to your post in more detail but I can't right now. I don't have the energy and it's been a difficult day so I will just stop now and leave this issue at that.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:25 PM
Let's give these characters realistic challenges. Marlena facing career issues, John facing a mid-life crisis. Hope being Commisioner is a good story for her and Bo so that is a good idea on Dena's part for them. Have something from Steve's past come back to haunt him. Maybe Steve could've killed someone while working for the Vitali's or while being with Stefano. Have someone from the deceased family come back and have Steve and Kayla come to grips with his past and the life he led. Enough of the same old sht. Realistic drama like that is the way to go.
I agree, and speaking of a more realistic and topical storyline, I've long wished for a storyline for Philip where he has to confront something horrible he did--or saw--while in combat. I'm not talking necessarily about a PTSD storyline, although that would be fine too, more like something happened that he's been covering up, for his own sake or someone else's. I know you're speaking of the older veterans but your comments just reminded me of how much potential material they could have with the character of Philip, and I'm convinced JKJ could handle it.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Okay...back on topic...

Anyone feeling vibes between Nicole and Dr. Dan? Do you think THEY ALSO had an offscreen :sex4: ?

Alligato
Member Avatar

If so, Dr. Dan has screwed everyone off screen...

I don't think he and Nicole had anything off screen. When he first came on, he was flirting with Chelsea and screwing Kate. When he was done with Kate, he was with Chelsea. As soon as Chelsea left, he met up with Nicole. I don't think Dan and Nicole were bumping while he was with Chelsea, as he told Chelsea there was no one else after Kate.

I think Dan/Nicole is a dream of some to throw off her baby's paternity question. If Nicole is preggers, it is EJ's baby. I highly doubt Nicole will carry it to term though. I think it is just a roadblock.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Alligato
Sep 17 2008, 03:56 PM
I think Dan/Nicole is a dream of some to throw off her baby's paternity question. If Nicole is preggers, it is EJ's baby. I highly doubt Nicole will carry it to term though. I think it is just a roadblock.
Damn, Alli, you read me like a book! :laugh:

Although, they did live at the K-Mansion for awhile when she first came back....

Alligato
Member Avatar

Wait. Dan and Nicole lived at the Kmansion together when he first arrived? Or Philly K and Nikki?
Well, that might change a few things...but that was back in May before Ejami bumped...so Nicole should be a little further along than just experiencing nausea.

Dicole would have to have happened in July or August for her symptoms, and I don't think they did. It's EJs.

*sigh* Dylan!!!

Pearly
Member Avatar

Alligato
Sep 17 2008, 04:39 PM
Dicole would have to have happened in July or August for her symptoms, and I don't think they did. It's EJs.

I don't like it but it does seem to be the case.... :drunk:

Alligato
Member Avatar

I don't like it either at all.
I don't want any more pregnancies, any more babies, especially with this group.

I really don't feel like I know what is going on with anyone.
Where is Sami? What is she thinking? Does she hate EJ now? What about the stairwell kiss? I feel like she is totally blowing him off.
And today's show, EJ acted totally indifferent to Sami and blew her off. I don't feel ANY love between them, and usually I feel it from one or the other. But I haven't felt it from Sami in awhile.
Is this couple really OVER? Have they even gotten started?
What happened here?

So is EJ and Nicole the new couple? I heard there is some major flirting tomorrow.
What is going on?

I have a feeling that we are seeing some major rewrites, and Ali's work schedule is dictating alot of it. This is such a weird show right now.

eta: the only thing that is keeping me calm is your Dylan! *sigh*
Edited by Alligato, Sep 17 2008, 04:52 PM.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

FanODays

I don't claim to speak for everyone but I do know there a lot of people who feel the same way that I do in that I watch soaps to escape from reality for just a little while. Soaps are about fantasy and the fantastic.

I get plenty enough reality in my daily life and from all the other shows I watch. Health crises have been done before on Days and other soaps, so that's nothing new or refreshing. Like Bo's recent health crisis which was really about hooking up Chelsea and Dr. Dan and had very little to do with Bope at all.

So many people have been touched by health crises of their own or of close family members or friends I can't believe that during their escape time they would want to watch it on their soap.

Sorry but I dont' think menopause would make a good story at all.

I'll take bad evil forces over real life drama any day. If want to watch people with medical problems I'll watch ER.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:34 PM
Flying Monkey
Sep 17 2008, 04:21 AM
PhoenixRising05

It was an error on my part. Sorry. Kind of have alot on my mind right now.

Now, on to your post, what gives characters like Steve and Kayla the right to have a frontburner story? Afterall, RJ has been on longer then both of them. As has JR. Suzanne Rogers had big story before the big 3 supercouples came along and knocked her and Doug, Julie, etc out of the limelight. People forget that the rise of Bope and the other couples pushed other characters aside and into supporting roles, which they remain in until this day. That was unfair too at the time. Days could never get away with that now. Corday tried last year and that is fine because the show needs to gradually move the youth and other characters on to the frontburner. It can't pass the torch the way it did in the 80's That would never work now.

Now, I'm not going to respond to your long post. All I will say is that I'm not against the supercouples. I love them all. I just want different stories and not the sale old junk, which I mentioned in my post above. Many fanbases want the romantic adventures and love stories and I think that has just been done way too much with the big 3 couples. Plus, they are already in love so what is the point? I also have no issue with every fanbase. There are some out there that are horrible and only out for themselves and who they like. That is who I'm speaking about as selfish. That doesn't include everyone in a fanbase or every fanbase. I'm generalizing but my post was long enough without repeating over and over again the word SOME before fans or fanbases.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I apologize if I'm being harsh. It's been a long week for me and I just see this whole issue completely differently. I probably would spend more time responding to your post in more detail but I can't right now. I don't have the energy and it's been a difficult day so I will just stop now and leave this issue at that.
Tim, even though you've had a bad week, your thoughts come out clear and rational, and I totally agree with you. I hate this whole "entitlement" shit.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Flying Monkey
Sep 18 2008, 06:49 PM
FanODays

I don't claim to speak for everyone but I do know there a lot of people who feel the same way that I do in that I watch soaps to escape from reality for just a little while. Soaps are about fantasy and the fantastic.

I get plenty enough reality in my daily life and from all the other shows I watch. Health crises have been done before on Days and other soaps, so that's nothing new or refreshing. Like Bo's recent health crisis which was really about hooking up Chelsea and Dr. Dan and had very little to do with Bope at all.

So many people have been touched by health crises of their own or of close family members or friends I can't believe that during their escape time they would want to watch it on their soap.

Sorry but I dont' think menopause would make a good story at all.

I'll take bad evil forces over real life drama any day. If want to watch people with medical problems I'll watch ER.
Well, I guess something has to give, because there ARE people who enjoy those kind of shows. Soaps do them all the time.
As bad it sounds, I hope they do justice to Kate's storyline. There's a reason Hallmark and Movies of the Week do well. Sometimes people WANT to see those they identify with. I certainly don't identify with trying to save a woman's soul from Satan or crap like that. With me, a little romance goes a LONG way. And a good soap CAN combine social issues and human interest with romance. Case in point....the positive comments about how Night Shift handles THEIR autism storyline. The attention the reality facelift storyline of Kay on Y&R.

How about some romance and love in watching a loved one struggle and fight their way back to health? Being drawn closer by tragedy? Losing a business and building it back up?

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Sep 18 2008, 07:08 PM
How about some romance and love in watching a loved one struggle and fight their way back to health? Being drawn closer by tragedy? Losing a business and building it back up?
Do you honestly think with Higley writing that we're going to see any of those?

I understand if you don't like unrealistic storylines, but the difference is that in JER's stories, outlandish as they were, we did see ideas like buildup, fallout, impact on relationships, impact on the characters' daily lives. The premise of this story may be much more realistic than those, but I have a feeling that the execution of the story will not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply