Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
B&B/GL: Susan Flannery To Direct GL Episode
Topic Started: Sep 16 2008, 03:43 PM (917 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Source: TVGuide Issue Dated September 22-28, 2008

Flannery Sees the Light

What the heck is Stephanie Forrester doing in Springfield? Soap worlds will collide, and so will two acting powerhouses, when four-time Emmy winner Susan Flannery from B&B directs four-time Emmy winner Kim Zimmer on GL. The episode --airing October 13--focuses in part on a new plot twist that has Zimmer's fifty-something character, Reva, unexpectedly pregnant.

"Kim is just fabulous-one of the truly great dames in the business-and she's loving the pregnancy story," says Flannery, who adds that she's "fascinated with the level of reality [GL executive producer] Ellen Wheeler has brought to the show." Flannery, who has directed several episodes of B&B, wanted to experience GL's edgy, cinema-verite production style, which uses hand-held, in-your-face cameras and real locales.

"It's the wave of the future," she says. "I don't think B&B can necessarily do this. We're more of a romance novel. But, GL is a slice-of-life show, and Ellen has taken everybody's idea of what soaps should be and blown it out of the sky." Flannery predicts all daytime serials will have to modernize in similar ways...or face doom.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

thanks!

I'll have to watch this episode of GL.

Mason

Rhiannon
Sep 16 2008, 03:43 PM
"It's the wave of the future," she says. "I don't think B&B can necessarily do this. We're more of a romance novel. But, GL is a slice-of-life show, and Ellen has taken everybody's idea of what soaps should be and blown it out of the sky."
And straight into the crapper.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Mason
Sep 16 2008, 04:45 PM
Rhiannon
"It's the wave of the future," she says. "I don't think B&B can necessarily do this. We're more of a romance novel. But, GL is a slice-of-life show, and Ellen has taken everybody's idea of what soaps should be and blown it out of the sky."
:lol:

I almost spit coke at the screen after reading your response Mason......

Deleted User
Deleted User

Seems we have Ellen Wheeler 2.0 on are hands
Quote Post Goto Top

daisysmommy

Rhiannon
Sep 16 2008, 04:51 PM
Mason
Rhiannon
:lol:

I almost spit coke at the screen after reading your response Mason......
Ditto, Mason. Lucky me, I had just finished my Diet Coke!

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

I just spit, too Michelle Stafford style!

King
Member Avatar

So, THATS why she was at GL.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

if they want to modernize they should be looking towards the UK soaps (in terms of production, not story - cause i know alot have a hatrid for their superior storytelling cause its realistic) , not this college produced looking thing on CBS.

Little things would be a help, like:

the characters have their own cell phones - and they're real cell phones! Not things that once doubled for a tv universal remote that everyone in Salem/etc all have.

shot in widescreen with television quality film/video.

outdoor locals that dont suck, and work with their indoor studio sets

proper sound when it comes to sets with ceilings. What GL hasnt learned is that there should only be a ceiling where the camera will show one, the rest should be open so you dont get that echo when someone speaks.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Guess we know why she was at GL.

I love Susan but...wow. Her encouraging Ellen Wheeler is just too much.

I will tune in for this just to see how Susan does though.

King
Member Avatar

I am getting to know more and more people in the soap business every week, and they all think GL made a really bad move with this style.

I haven't met anyone who thought it was a good idea.
Edited by King, Sep 17 2008, 12:45 AM.

Mason

King
Sep 17 2008, 12:43 AM
That's probably good, 'cause if you had, they'd be downright certifiable.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Not surprised.

It's one thing to do something new and innovative. It's another thing to be in denial about the rest of the show being horrible and about the changes being a mistake. Continuing this path despite the resistance from some cast, crew, and fans is like Wheeler saying she just doesn't care what anyone things. She's sticking to her experiment and that's it.

~bl~
Member Avatar

King glad to hear that people in the industry think this is bad. The problem is GL is stuck with it, and no one can speak out as themselves due to fear. :(

ljacks13
Member Avatar

King
Sep 17 2008, 12:43 AM
I am getting to know more and more people in the soap business every week, and they all think GL made a really bad move with this style.

It's at least good to know that it's just fans who think that the move was a bad idea.

Question: Do these you you talk to actors or production people?

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Mason
Rhiannon
EXACTLY!! I have a lot of respect for Susan Flannery's talent but I can't believe she's cheering on Elen Wheeler or that she wants ANYTHING to do with this show. SF has always been a pretty "straight shooter" (no pun intended!) so I believe she's sincere in her statement. I DO find her statement surprising though.

King
Member Avatar

Production people.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Susan's EW comments aside for a moment, this really isnt much to write home about. Flannery is an average director, her B&B episodes have never been anything beyond the norm for that show.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

I have more P&G news tomorrow in Suds, which should be eye opening.

into_the_skyline
Member Avatar

I can't wait to see what Susan Flannery does directing Guiding Light. ATWT has been very successful with their location shooting by having such a talented staff behind the scenes. From the beginning the lighting, sound, outdoor makeup, locations, etc. have been spot on. Guiding Light fails due to crappy directors and well...Ellen Wheeler. Flannery could be just what this soap needs to get it kicking. I'll definitely be tuning in to see how her episode works out.

BTW, has anyone noticed watching B&B how much weight she's lost?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply