Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Kate spoiler from SOD
Topic Started: Sep 17 2008, 01:34 PM (2,780 Views)
mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Angie.

I don't want to see Lauren go, but if they're not killing her off, then what's the point of giving her yet another illness, especially one as serious as lung cancer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jonatha

mbdimera
Sep 17 2008, 02:41 PM

I don't want to see Lauren go, but if they're not killing her off, then what's the point of giving her yet another illness, especially one as serious as lung cancer.
Let's not forget Alexis (Nancy Lee Grahn) from GH had lung cancer last year and now she's fine. Plus I don't know how many females have dealt with some kind of cancer on a soap. Viki and Reva, if I remember correctly. I don't think Koslow is gone.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, people were worried about her having a mystery illness. At least this time we got a name and it's something relatable. You don't have to be around people who smoke nor do you have to smoke to get lung cancer (that is actually a big misconception) so I don't think it's out of the blue. They at least built up to this the past few weeks.

I also don't think this will be an event. I have a feeling this will have a major impact on Philip, Lucas, Chelsea, and even Daniel. I also think the whole purpose of Stefano proposing to Kate was to tie in with this. She will marry Stefano, thinking she is dying anyway and she can protect her kids and secure their future My feeling is she doesn't tell Stefano she is dying. Meanwhile, Daniel treats her in secret, they bond, and away we go.

Do I think this is Koslow's exit story? Not sure. I hate to say this but in a way I wish it was. I feel like Days needs to kill someone major just to bring suspense and a feeling that anyone can still die for real back. I love Lauren and I am happy she is getting this story. I hope she doesn't go but I won't be upset if she does, especially since up until now she was basically in the same story over and over.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

mbdimera

LOL! What do you mean what's the point? It's a soap! It's drama! It's a storyline! Hopefully an accurate and well executed storyline, ahem.

Dude, I feel like I'm the only one here excited for this. Then again, I'm not worried about LK leaving so that may have something to do with it.
Edited by fenderbabe, Sep 17 2008, 02:56 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

fenderbabe
Sep 17 2008, 02:55 PM
mbdimera

LOL! What do you mean what's the point? It's a soap! It's drama! It's a storyline! Hopefully an accurate and well executed storyline, ahem.

Dude, I feel like I'm the only one here excited for this. Then again, I'm not worried about LK leaving so that may have something to do with it.
Your not. I will be enjoying it too because, to me, this is drama. This is what soaps used to be and are about. I just hope it's executed well. The autism story has really picked up so I hope Days does what it didn't do there and carries this story well from beginning to end.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 02:47 PM
They at least built up to this the past few weeks.
By having her cough a few times? I agree with you that this *should* impact the people you mention. However, did they build up to that at all? No. Buildup does not mean giving a person a predisposition to having a disease. It means putting certain elements in place in the lives of the characters. If a random illness like this is going to occur, then imo they should make a point of telling the viewers that (as you're saying Tim) one does not have to smoke to get lung cancer. But also, the pieces should be put in place beforehand so that the ripple effects begin right away and continue throughout the story. With good writers, something like this can take months to a year to set up. I don't think that's happened here so far, and I don't expect it to happen soon either.

MichaelGL
Member Avatar
Sexy Jew

Quote:

Ouch. This could be Lauren Koslow's exit story, for sure.

Honestly, I feel like this is, yet another story, just coming out of nowhere. What has given us the impression that Kate was even subjected to lung cancer. She doesn't smoke. We don't see her around anyone that smokes. Yes, I know you can lung cancer in other ways, but still. Nothing. This seems completely out of left field, but so did Theo's autism storyline.

That's Dena's style of writing! Throwing in a social issue to make the show entertaining whenever things get boring.

Remember Bo's cancer? I don't either.

I mean this year has been one for the record books for DAYS, somebody is getting diagnosed with something 24/7; but in the end is there even a story being told, or is it more of a plot point?
Edited by MichaelGL, Sep 17 2008, 03:10 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Sep 17 2008, 02:59 PM
PhoenixRising05
By having her cough a few times? I agree with you that this *should* impact the people you mention. However, did they build up to that at all? No. Buildup does not mean giving a person a predisposition to having a disease. It means putting certain elements in place in the lives of the characters. If a random illness like this is going to occur, then imo they should make a point of telling the viewers that (as you're saying Tim) one does not have to smoke to get lung cancer. But also, the pieces should be put in place beforehand so that the ripple effects begin right away and continue throughout the story. With good writers, something like this can take months to a year to set up. I don't think that's happened here so far, and I don't expect it to happen soon either.
Why would they need to?

Why must a writer give a viewer everything? Yes, the important things are needed but you don't need to mention that you don't to smoke to get lung cancer. People bitch now about how the autism story chucks out details like that left and right. If you feed them info on this, they will just roll their eyes. The show is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Perhaps the show should tell the viewer whether they do a #1 or #2 when they go to the bathroom since the viewer apparently needs to be fed everything.

As for the buildup, the coughing is buildup. The fact that Kate's company and how well iit was going was such a focus early this month was buildup. Chelsea and Kate's tension, Stefano's proposal, Kate arguing with Lucas and Philip about her meddling, Kate/Daniel...there has been plenty of buildup. All of the elements are there. There is no need to spend months to a year on something. Now that would be boring. The show needs to be fast paced. The slow pace just does not work. Ask Y&R. They had to change their pace too. Fans won't stick around for weeks or months of buildup.

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the whole show or watch everyday. If you don't, that's fine but it's hard to judge everything when you don't.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Sep 17 2008, 03:17 PM.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

fenderbabe
Sep 17 2008, 02:55 PM
mbdimera

I don't mean what's the point of the drama.

I guess what I mean is, can't they come up with a better storyline for Kate than life and death illnesses?

If they do it right, I'll be excited too. LK is a fabulous actress. But let's be honest, this writing team's ability to actually do it right is questionable. And that's being kind.

pnelsen

Didn't they xray her chest before her last surgery? Oh well, I guess Dena forgot to xray Kate last time.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

pnelsen
Sep 17 2008, 03:16 PM
Didn't they xray her chest before her last surgery? Oh well, I guess Dena forgot to xray Kate last time.
That means nothing.

I've known people to have x-rays where nothing showed and weeks later, they have shown something.

Pearly
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Well, people were worried about her having a mystery illness. At least this time we got a name and it's something relatable. You don't have to be around people who smoke nor do you have to smoke to get lung cancer (that is actually a big misconception) so I don't think it's out of the blue. They at least built up to this the past few weeks.

I also don't think this will be an event. I have a feeling this will have a major impact on Philip, Lucas, Chelsea, and even Daniel. I also think the whole purpose of Stefano proposing to Kate was to tie in with this. She will marry Stefano, thinking she is dying anyway and she can protect her kids and secure their future My feeling is she doesn't tell Stefano she is dying. Meanwhile, Daniel treats her in secret, they bond, and away we go.

Do I think this is Koslow's exit story? Not sure. I hate to say this but in a way I wish it was. I feel like Days needs to kill someone major just to bring suspense and a feeling that anyone can still die for real back. I love Lauren and I am happy she is getting this story. I hope she doesn't go but I won't be upset if she does, especially since up until now she was basically in the same story over and over.
Everything you've just outlined as a s/l sounds great. Too bad you're not writing the show and Dena is. :hmmph: I'm not being sarcastic, I am DEAD serious.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Hahah! We thought Bo's illness would have long term impact too. Months later, nothing. We thought Victor's illness would have long term impact. Nothing. We thought Grandpa Shawn's death would have long term impact. Nothing. We thought Kate's first illness scare would have long term impact. Nothing.

Get the trend here?

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Wisley said. ITA!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
In real life people can get lugn cancer without having a build up to it. So why can't it be like that on Days? Why must there be a build up to everything? In real life shit like this can happened so fast.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:15 PM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Why would they need to?

Why must a writer give a viewer everything? Yes, the important things are needed but you don't need to mention that you don't to smoke to get lung cancer. People bitch now about how the autism story chucks out details like that left and right. If you feed them info on this, they will just roll their eyes. The show is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Perhaps the show should tell the viewer whether they do a #1 or #2 when they go to the bathroom since the viewer apparently needs to be fed everything.

As for the buildup, the coughing is buildup. The fact that Kate's company and how well iit was going was such a focus early this month was buildup. Chelsea and Kate's tension, Stefano's proposal, Kate arguing with Lucas and Philip about her meddling, Kate/Daniel...there has been plenty of buildup. All of the elements are there. There is no need to spend months to a year on something. Now that would be boring. The show needs to be fast paced. The slow pace just does not work. Ask Y&R. They had to change their pace too. Fans won't stick around for weeks or months of buildup.

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the whole show or watch everyday. If you don't, that's fine but it's hard to judge everything when you don't.
Now lets not go to extremes, Tim. That's going a little overboard because you know what people are talking about. If you're going to tell a story like this then you need to cover all of the facts and you need to cover everything. Look at the most famous PSA-style stroylines of the past, primarily on General Hospital. They covered all their grounds. Did they sound preachy at times? Yes, but you kind of have to and there's no way aruond it when you're telling a storyline like this on television.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:30 PM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Why would they need to?

Now lets not go to extremes, Tim. That's going a little overboard because you know what people are talking about. If you're going to tell a story like this then you need to cover all of the facts and you need to cover everything. Look at the most famous PSA-style stroylines of the past, primarily on General Hospital. They covered all their grounds. Did they sound preachy at times? Yes, but you kind of have to and there's no way aruond it when you're telling a storyline like this on television.
But people bitch about that all the time, Drew.

They complain when details like that are tossed around. They do that everytime Lexie and Abe discuss Theo and his autism. They did it when Bo was sick.

I think the real issue is Days has done too many medical stories this year and I agree with that. I do disagree that those stories had no impact long-term. Bo's illness brought Chan together. Granted. Chan sucked but still. Kate's illness led to her affair with Daniel being revealed. Victor's illness led to Bo covering for Philip and to Caroline not wanting anything to do with him. Grandpa Shawn's death led to Max going on a journey of self-discovery.

Yes, some people don't care about some of that stuff but I do.

I'm sorry for being harsh. It's just been a rough day and I'm taking it out on people in my posts. My apologies.

Nicole Walker

I hope they don't kill Kate. I think this will be a way of bringing Kate and Dan closer together.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Sep 17 2008, 03:39 PM
I hope they don't kill Kate. I think this will be a way of bringing Kate and Dan closer together.
and, of course, away from Nicole, right? :eyeroll:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:39 PM
DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:30 PM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Why would they need to?

But people bitch about that all the time, Drew.

They complain when details like that are tossed around. They do that everytime Lexie and Abe discuss Theo and his autism. They did it when Bo was sick.

I think the real issue is Days has done too many medical stories this year and I agree with that. I do disagree that those stories had no impact long-term. Bo's illness brought Chan together. Granted. Chan sucked but still. Kate's illness led to her affair with Daniel being revealed. Victor's illness led to Bo covering for Philip and to Caroline not wanting anything to do with him. Grandpa Shawn's death led to Max going on a journey of self-discovery.

Yes, some people don't care about some of that stuff but I do.

I'm sorry for being harsh. It's just been a rough day and I'm taking it out on people in my posts. My apologies.
So let them complain. It's just not their style of what they like. That's fine.

IMO, it works. GH has the Emmy's and WGA awards to prove that the preachy social issue storylines work. Look back in history. When was AMC the greatest? When Agnes Nixon was telling social storylines. The same thing can be said on GH during Labine's years as HW. Social stories are going to come off as preachy because you're catering to an audience of all kinds of people. While some may think that a certain thing about the storyline is obvious and not needed to be covered, someone else may not know this and may have learend something new. Your audience doesn't knw the same thing so you have to cover all grounds so that even the dumbest person will have learned something from the storyline.

As for the long-term effects, those are still just plot points in a storyline that as you can see, most of them are no longer even being shown on the screen. Daniel and Chelsea are pretty much over. What's left from that, from what you say was the effects of Bo's illness? Chelsea is heartbroken and can't have children. Although I'm sure when it's convenient for the plot, Chelsea will get pregnant in the future. The Hollingsowrht storyline is now coming to a close, Bo will lose his job, and that will be the end of the effects from Victor's storyline. Grandpa Shawn's death should not just be affecting Max either. I'm sure he had six children and yet Max seems to be the only affected.

So IMO those affects are not long term rather just plot points to help tell the story.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Sep 17 2008, 03:46 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply