Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Kate spoiler from SOD
Topic Started: Sep 17 2008, 01:34 PM (2,898 Views)
Ellie

Tim, regarding your posts, I think the difference between the way you and I are thinking is that you're reading everything that's happened to Kate as buildup to this. To answer your question, I do also know what's happened to her, but I'm saying that what's happened to her is a series of random Higley events. If by some by chance those happen to coincide with this cancer storyline, then Higley was lucky. But I do not think that Higley planned any of this when she was writing Kate's mini-"stories" over the past months.
Edited by Ellie, Sep 17 2008, 03:48 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I wonder if Kate will need a Lung Transplant and Dr. Dan will be the only one who can do the surgery........

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:43 PM
As for the long-term effects, those are still just plot points in a storyline that as you can see, most of them are no longer even being shown on the screen. Daniel and Chelsea are pretty much over. What's left from that, from what you say was the effects of Bo's illness? Chelsea is heartbroken and can't have children. Although I'm sure when it's convenient for the plot, Chelsea will get pregnant in the future. The Hollingsworth storyline is now coming to a close, Bo will lose his job, and that will be the end of the effects from Victor's storyline. Grandpa Shawn's death should not just be affecting Max either. I'm sure he had six children and yet Max seems to be the only affected.

So IMO those affects are not long term rather just plot points to help tell the story.
Haha, too bad I didn't post a minute later - I would have seen this and been able to just quote it. Completely agree!

Pearly
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Sep 17 2008, 03:52 PM
I wonder if Kate will need a Lung Transplant and Dr. Dan will be the only one who can do the surgery........
or he can all of sudden whip up an artificial lung for her....

Ellie

Sindacco
Sep 17 2008, 03:30 PM
Ellie
Sep 17 2008, 02:59 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 02:47 PM
They at least built up to this the past few weeks.
By having her cough a few times? I agree with you that this *should* impact the people you mention. However, did they build up to that at all? No. Buildup does not mean giving a person a predisposition to having a disease. It means putting certain elements in place in the lives of the characters. If a random illness like this is going to occur, then imo they should make a point of telling the viewers that (as you're saying Tim) one does not have to smoke to get lung cancer. But also, the pieces should be put in place beforehand so that the ripple effects begin right away and continue throughout the story. With good writers, something like this can take months to a year to set up. I don't think that's happened here so far, and I don't expect it to happen soon either.
In real life people can get lugn cancer without having a build up to it. So why can't it be like that on Days? Why must there be a build up to everything? In real life shit like this can happened so fast.
Shit like this can absolutely happen quickly. Unfortunately, my family has experienced its share, as I'm sure many of your families have. But my point here is that if I were trying to tell someone the story of let's say how my grandfather passed away, if I were trying to make the story intentionally sound interesting, I would start by setting the scene of the dynamics between my mother and her siblings, between my grandparents, my grandfather and his business partners, etc. Then when the disease did strike, I'd have put all the pieces in place for my listeners to understand why the terrible disease had the impact it did on my grandfather and our family. That's what I'm trying to point out that Higley is not doing here.

jane1978

DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:26 PM
Hahah! We thought Bo's illness would have long term impact too. Months later, nothing. We thought Victor's illness would have long term impact. Nothing. We thought Grandpa Shawn's death would have long term impact. Nothing. We thought Kate's first illness scare would have long term impact. Nothing.

Get the trend here?
I really don´t understand what long term impact you would like to see. What should Bo do? He gave Hope a nice wedding ceremony to thank her for her support, Chelsea proved herself to Hope who fully started to take her as her daughter and their family bond tightened. With Victor illness Bo finally admitted he cares about him as a father and has now really accepted Phillip as his brother. His Kiriakis roots were almost totally ignored for years, but not anymore. And Shawn´s death obviously started the whole Max discovering his real roots storyline and freed Caroline to get involved with Victor in some way again.

SoapFan82

Nevermind. I misread the the subject and got my soaps mixed up.
Edited by SoapFan82, Sep 17 2008, 04:20 PM.

stefenohairychest
Member Avatar

downwhtone
Sep 17 2008, 01:53 PM
Oh wow. That's serious. I wasn't expecting it to be anything like that.
christopher reeves wife had lung cancer and didn't smoke dies soon after being diagnosised

peter jennings dies quickly this cancer is usually fatal

Mason
Member Avatar

I'm sure by Thanksgiving this will all be forgotten.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Mason
Sep 17 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm sure by Thanksgiving this will all be forgotten.
My money was by Halloween. :laugh:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:43 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:39 PM
DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:30 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:15 PM
Ellie
Sep 17 2008, 02:59 PM
PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 02:47 PM
They at least built up to this the past few weeks.
By having her cough a few times? I agree with you that this *should* impact the people you mention. However, did they build up to that at all? No. Buildup does not mean giving a person a predisposition to having a disease. It means putting certain elements in place in the lives of the characters. If a random illness like this is going to occur, then imo they should make a point of telling the viewers that (as you're saying Tim) one does not have to smoke to get lung cancer. But also, the pieces should be put in place beforehand so that the ripple effects begin right away and continue throughout the story. With good writers, something like this can take months to a year to set up. I don't think that's happened here so far, and I don't expect it to happen soon either.
Why would they need to?

Why must a writer give a viewer everything? Yes, the important things are needed but you don't need to mention that you don't to smoke to get lung cancer. People bitch now about how the autism story chucks out details like that left and right. If you feed them info on this, they will just roll their eyes. The show is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Perhaps the show should tell the viewer whether they do a #1 or #2 when they go to the bathroom since the viewer apparently needs to be fed everything.

As for the buildup, the coughing is buildup. The fact that Kate's company and how well iit was going was such a focus early this month was buildup. Chelsea and Kate's tension, Stefano's proposal, Kate arguing with Lucas and Philip about her meddling, Kate/Daniel...there has been plenty of buildup. All of the elements are there. There is no need to spend months to a year on something. Now that would be boring. The show needs to be fast paced. The slow pace just does not work. Ask Y&R. They had to change their pace too. Fans won't stick around for weeks or months of buildup.

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the whole show or watch everyday. If you don't, that's fine but it's hard to judge everything when you don't.
Now lets not go to extremes, Tim. That's going a little overboard because you know what people are talking about. If you're going to tell a story like this then you need to cover all of the facts and you need to cover everything. Look at the most famous PSA-style stroylines of the past, primarily on General Hospital. They covered all their grounds. Did they sound preachy at times? Yes, but you kind of have to and there's no way aruond it when you're telling a storyline like this on television.
But people bitch about that all the time, Drew.

They complain when details like that are tossed around. They do that everytime Lexie and Abe discuss Theo and his autism. They did it when Bo was sick.

I think the real issue is Days has done too many medical stories this year and I agree with that. I do disagree that those stories had no impact long-term. Bo's illness brought Chan together. Granted. Chan sucked but still. Kate's illness led to her affair with Daniel being revealed. Victor's illness led to Bo covering for Philip and to Caroline not wanting anything to do with him. Grandpa Shawn's death led to Max going on a journey of self-discovery.

Yes, some people don't care about some of that stuff but I do.

I'm sorry for being harsh. It's just been a rough day and I'm taking it out on people in my posts. My apologies.
So let them complain. It's just not their style of what they like. That's fine.

IMO, it works. GH has the Emmy's and WGA awards to prove that the preachy social issue storylines work. Look back in history. When was AMC the greatest? When Agnes Nixon was telling social storylines. The same thing can be said on GH during Labine's years as HW. Social stories are going to come off as preachy because you're catering to an audience of all kinds of people. While some may think that a certain thing about the storyline is obvious and not needed to be covered, someone else may not know this and may have learend something new. Your audience doesn't knw the same thing so you have to cover all grounds so that even the dumbest person will have learned something from the storyline.

As for the long-term effects, those are still just plot points in a storyline that as you can see, most of them are no longer even being shown on the screen. Daniel and Chelsea are pretty much over. What's left from that, from what you say was the effects of Bo's illness? Chelsea is heartbroken and can't have children. Although I'm sure when it's convenient for the plot, Chelsea will get pregnant in the future. The Hollingsowrht storyline is now coming to a close, Bo will lose his job, and that will be the end of the effects from Victor's storyline. Grandpa Shawn's death should not just be affecting Max either. I'm sure he had six children and yet Max seems to be the only affected.

So IMO those affects are not long term rather just plot points to help tell the story.
Your right, Drew. I'm with you on that. It needs to be part of the story, regardless of what some say.

I will say, though, that there is a huge difference between GH and Days though. GH when it's in touch with it's roots is like a medical show combined with a soap. Days is not that kind of show. Your right that the details are important. I guess my point is why should they mention the details attributed with lung cancer when she doesn't know she has it yet nor has she taken a test to further inform herself of her condition? Once she is hospitalized and learns of her condition, then they can start to give fans the facts. Doing it now or before makes no sense. That is why I couldn't understand the whole buildup argument. There isn't much you can do until she actually reaches a point where her condition is difficult and learns her diagnosis. As of right now, she just has a cough. Tomorrow she coughs blood, which is when things get serious and it leads to her diagnosis. If we don't get some information on the illness at that point, then the show is dropping the ball. I think we will get it because all the other illnesses this year have been filled with details.

I also want to apologize again for being so harsh. My posts this week have been very hostile at times and I realize that. My mind is just racing with everything going on and maybe I should not come on the boards in my state of mind but I need an escape. I usually try to put things better and the whole bathroom comment I made was very uncalled for so I apologize to you, Ellie, and everyone in this thread. I do disagree on some of the points you and Ellie are making but my tone was rude so I do sincerely apologize.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Sep 17 2008, 04:10 PM
DrewHamilton
Sep 17 2008, 03:26 PM
Hahah! We thought Bo's illness would have long term impact too. Months later, nothing. We thought Victor's illness would have long term impact. Nothing. We thought Grandpa Shawn's death would have long term impact. Nothing. We thought Kate's first illness scare would have long term impact. Nothing.

Get the trend here?
I really don´t understand what long term impact you would like to see. What should Bo do? He gave Hope a nice wedding ceremony to thank her for her support, Chelsea proved herself to Hope who fully started to take her as her daughter and their family bond tightened. With Victor illness Bo finally admitted he cares about him as a father and has now really accepted Phillip as his brother. His Kiriakis roots were almost totally ignored for years, but not anymore. And Shawn´s death obviously started the whole Max discovering his real roots storyline and freed Caroline to get involved with Victor in some way again.

I agree completely.

I think part of the problem is many didn't care for those stories, which is fine. There were long-term affects though.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm okay with this storyline and really hope it involves Stefano, Victor, and Daniel...I'm ready for some men to fight for Kate..

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 06:07 PM
I also want to apologize again for being so harsh. My posts this week have been very hostile at times and I realize that. My mind is just racing with everything going on and maybe I should not come on the boards in my state of mind but I need an escape. I usually try to put things better and the whole bathroom comment I made was very uncalled for so I apologize to you, Ellie, and everyone in this thread. I do disagree on some of the points you and Ellie are making but my tone was rude so I do sincerely apologize.
Tim - please - no worries at all. We all post with each other enough to know when someone's having a bad day. Sorry for everything you have going on.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I love Kate and I love Koslow, but I care so little about Days anymore, I'm finding it hard to even muster up any sort of reaction.

A year ago, I would've given a damn. Now, I just don't.

sungrey

PhoenixRising05
Sep 17 2008, 03:17 PM
pnelsen
Sep 17 2008, 03:16 PM
Didn't they xray her chest before her last surgery? Oh well, I guess Dena forgot to xray Kate last time.
That means nothing.

I've known people to have x-rays where nothing showed and weeks later, they have shown something.
People have EKG's done, they show nothing... and wham-o, they drop dead a week later. I haven't had it happen to anyone I know, but stuff like this is out there. I'm glad LK is getting a story that doesn't involve meddling in her kids' lives for a change.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

I think the illness is just a way for Kate and Dan to spend time together and for Dan to fall for Kate because that's his MO is to fall for sick women. The fall preview said they were rolling with Kate and Dan because they thought they had chemistry (shows how clueless this show is about chemistry).

I don't think LK is the "vet on the bubble" because she is Phillip & Lucas' mother and Chelsea's grandmother. I don't think they'd kill off a character with ties to other central characters like this. They might give her a break like they did Bryan Dattillo to save $$$ but as I mentioned above, I think she's finally getting a story after being on the backburner or most of the last year.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Just because they say beloved doesn't mean it can't be Kate. Remember the magazines promised a fan favorite returning when JER came back. And it ended up being Jan Spears :\

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

darraholic
Sep 18 2008, 11:06 AM
Just because they say beloved doesn't mean it can't be Kate. Remember the magazines promised a fan favorite returning when JER came back. And it ended up being Jan Spears :\
Who says that Lauren has to be the beloved vet to be fired?? She could be the actress. The rumor said one actress has been let go (Renton) and another actress would follow. Lauren could simply be the other actress let go and then we still have a beloved vet on the bubble.

But, again, I don't think Lauren is being let go. I think she is safe and has a story with Dan that will play out now over the rest of the year at least.
Edited by ElvisDiMera, Sep 18 2008, 11:17 AM.

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

ElvisDiMera
Sep 18 2008, 11:02 AM
I think the illness is just a way for Kate and Dan to spend time together and for Dan to fall for Kate because that's his MO is to fall for sick women. The fall preview said they were rolling with Kate and Dan because they thought they had chemistry (shows how clueless this show is about chemistry).

I don't think LK is the "vet on the bubble" because she is Phillip & Lucas' mother and Chelsea's grandmother. I don't think they'd kill off a character with ties to other central characters like this. They might give her a break like they did Bryan Dattillo to save $$$ but as I mentioned above, I think she's finally getting a story after being on the backburner or most of the last year.
Exactly. I read in the fall preview of SOD that when Chelea sees Dan and Kate together during this crisis,she realizes its over between them for good.Dan will probably wind up askingKateto marry him. And I couldn't disagree more on your Dan and Kate chemistry opinion
Edited by Dayzfan, Sep 18 2008, 03:33 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply