Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: ATWT - Interview with Barbara Bloom; & Chris Goutman: Goodbye 5 Days A Week?
Topic Started: Sep 17 2008, 07:36 PM (648 Views)
ljacks13
Member Avatar

CBS Daytime's VP Barbara Bloom and Executive producer Chris Goutman chat about the on-and-off screen state of AS THE WORLD TURNS by Stephanie Sloane

Some quotes:

Digest: Would you like to be on SOAPNET?
Goutman: Absolutely. Absolutely. I have talked for years about it, but that is not within my domain. Listen, I would love to do a SUnday marathon of Guiding Light and As The Wolrd Turns, Brian?

Digest: Last question, Where do you both see the future of daytime?

Bloom: Anybody that can tell you the future of daytime is making it up. The future of network television is influx. I think that there will always be room for serial storytelling but the reality is that the business model is changing, and the delivery model has to change with it.

Goutman: I agree with Barbara. This is me speaking personally, but I do think five shows a week is an antiquated model. All over the world, serial storytelling is three days a week at most and repeats on the odd days and weekends. I don't think there is an appetite in this society right now to watch this show five days a week; they don't have the time or the energy. So I think that is going to change first and foremost. Whether the shows exist on a broadcast network or on cable, who knows?

Where The Boys Are

Goutman and Bloom didn't need to be asked; they brought up "Nuke" on their own while discussing what big events mean to show's storytelling.

Goutman: Events are only platforms, platforms by which we can draw attention to this very minutia of a moment of the relationships of the characters.

Bloom: And that's why Luke and Noah never became a big event. I'm very proud of the show for that, because there was this big outcry to make it platform and it wasn't a platform; it was what this show does best, which is very simple, romantic, truthfully told, multigenerational coming of age story about a person figuring out who they were. And that's why it works. Because you can tell it within the framework with a lot of other stories. If you take it out of that framework, you are not telling the story. you are exploiting a situation.

Goutman: I'm proud of the story. it is a risky story; it will always be risky in our society. But we will continue to tell it, because it's an important story, mulitgenerationally and within the context of the community of Oakdale

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

OMG — Translation ALERT in SUDS BIG TIME. Thank you SOD!

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

um, where exacly are these 3 day a week soaps?

England is 5 days a week, 30 minutes - sometimes with double episodes of the ITV and Channel 4 shows.

Australia is 5 days a week, 30 minutes.

Germany is 5 days a week, 30 minutes.

are they they talking about telenovellas? Is that really the standard P&G or whatever they're called now is aiming for? Fuck.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

P&G doesn't even have any standards, anymore.

Manny
Member Avatar

I was wondering myself where soaps go 3 times a week. Croatian soap went 5 times a week (but it did go into reruns mode during summer...which sucked!)

But telenovelas air 5 times a week here as well.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Drew
Sep 17 2008, 11:20 PM

England is 5 days a week, 30 minutes - sometimes with double episodes of the ITV and Channel 4 shows.

are they they talking about telenovellas? Is that really the standard P&G or whatever they're called now is aiming for? Fuck.
Corronation Street is aired 3 days a week but it's 5 episodes (2 Mon, 1 Wed, 2 Fri)
Eastenders is 4 days a week 40 minute episodes (Mon Tues Thur Fri)
Ireland's Ros na Rún and Fair City are 3 nights a week.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

These fools make me sick! If they can't get behind their product then they should GET OUT and make room for people who will make entertaining soaps and not excuses!! There IS obviously a business aspect to the genre but more and more of these interviews are sounding like bad board meetings! They continue to spew their corporate speak about "BUSINESS MODELS", "PRODUCTION MODELS" and now "DELIVERY MODELS"! Maybe they should "MODEL" their lousy shows after something that worked for DECADES before they started trying to be something they aren't! Reinventing the wheel isn't working!

sungrey

Methinks Chris Goutman has forgotten he used to ACT on these shows at one time. Don't bite the hand that fed you so well. :)

Gregorzick

Oh My Fucking God!!!! These idiots are beyond me!!!! If thye can't do their job right, then get out of the business. Nuke got ATWT to number 3 in the ratings at one point and they are proud of the fact that they are backburning this couple because they didn't want the couple to have "a platform" What kind of double speak is this shit!!!!

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Rick
Sep 18 2008, 04:33 AM
Drew
Sep 17 2008, 11:20 PM

Corronation Street is aired 3 days a week but it's 5 episodes (2 Mon, 1 Wed, 2 Fri)
Eastenders is 4 days a week 40 minute episodes (Mon Tues Thur Fri)
Ireland's Ros na Rún and Fair City are 3 nights a week.
Corrie's weird schedule aside - they still do 5 shows a week. And Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Out of The Blue(if it hasnt been cancelled yet) and Doctors all air daily.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oakdalelover

I get so mad at every interview Goutman gives.

I have got to where I barely watch ATWT. ATWT used to be the show I wouldn't dare miss.

Bloom/Goutman/Passanante/Laiman needs to go!
They definitely DON'T need to replaced by anyone from GL.
Edited by oakdalelover, Sep 19 2008, 10:09 AM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

oakdalelover
Sep 19 2008, 10:09 AM
I get so mad at every interview Goutman gives.

I have got to where I barely watch ATWT. ATWT used to be the show I wouldn't dare miss.

Bloom/Goutman/Passanante/Laiman needs to go!
They definitely DON'T need to replaced by anyone from GL.
ALL TRUE!! Those people are KILLING the show! It's not too much better than GL most of the time. There are flashes of good stuff followed by horrendous material. I wish they could get their act together. SOMEONE over there knows how to write the show and on occasion they are allowed to deliver.

jimmyk311

ljacks13
Sep 17 2008, 07:36 PM
CBS Daytime's VP Barbara Bloom and Executive producer Chris Goutman chat about the on-and-off screen state of AS THE WORLD TURNS by Stephanie Sloane

Some quotes:

Digest: Would you like to be on SOAPNET?
Goutman: Absolutely. Absolutely. I have talked for years about it, but that is not within my domain. Listen, I would love to do a SUnday marathon of Guiding Light and As The Wolrd Turns, Brian?

Digest: Last question, Where do you both see the future of daytime?

Bloom: Anybody that can tell you the future of daytime is making it up. The future of network television is influx. I think that there will always be room for serial storytelling but the reality is that the business model is changing, and the delivery model has to change with it.

Goutman: I agree with Barbara. This is me speaking personally, but I do think five shows a week is an antiquated model. All over the world, serial storytelling is three days a week at most and repeats on the odd days and weekends. I don't think there is an appetite in this society right now to watch this show five days a week; they don't have the time or the energy. So I think that is going to change first and foremost. Whether the shows exist on a broadcast network or on cable, who knows?
Sundays aren't really a good day for marathons since most people are watching sports, PPVs. or other primetime tv shows on that day and it doesn't help that they are the lowest rated soap on the air.

As far as airing soaps 3 times a week than 5 times a week, diidn't Goutman see what happen to Passions when they went to three episodes a week?

People do have time for a five days a week soap. They just need to produces these shows as a big event. If the PGA and Olympics in the morning or afternoon hours get better ratings than most of the soaps on the aired, then the soaps shouldn't have a problem getting ratings as high as those in the afternoon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply