Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A closer look, Marlena
Topic Started: Sep 18 2008, 08:20 AM (2,422 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

daisysmommy
Sep 18 2008, 11:19 PM
I am so psyched about this-- it really has been such a turnoff the whole summer not having them around AND/OR having to watch them act completely out of character...

The reason their fan base is so rabid is not just the DHs on-screen chemistry [which is unique and fantastic and enduring). It is this underlying thread that the characters never give up on each other...and when they do, it is only out of sacrifice...all Gift of the Magi stuff...which causes great angsty looks and fabulous fantasy scenes. This summer was a total violation of that, and that's why I simply stopped watching.

I can't wait to have the real J&M back! HURRAY!!!

And the rest of the show seems to be picking up too. Though this week [my happiness re J&M scenes on Wed aside] was a sheer mess. You can tell they are trying to get the house back in order...when do Tomlin's epis begin airing? Was yesterday still credited to Scott?
I'm happy for most of the J&M fans, but I never saw this unique and fantastic chemistry. It will be interesting to see how this plays out through the eyes of someone who hasn't caught this fever. (Namely me). I just don't like the DH's usual acting choices when they're together.
I guess I don't see anything as an excuse for "rabid fandom", at least not the kind I've noticed that I consider "rabid" Not all J&M fans are what I consider rabid. I've known J&M fans who are really enamoured and love this couple, but post and act with what I consider some decency. So, I disagree with that comment, but that's my opinion.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm really interested in how this short-circuiting of John will all come out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

daisysmommy
Sep 18 2008, 11:19 PM
I am so psyched about this-- it really has been such a turnoff the whole summer not having them around AND/OR having to watch them act completely out of character...

The reason their fan base is so rabid is not just the DHs on-screen chemistry [which is unique and fantastic and enduring). It is this underlying thread that the characters never give up on each other...and when they do, it is only out of sacrifice...all Gift of the Magi stuff...which causes great angsty looks and fabulous fantasy scenes. This summer was a total violation of that, and that's why I simply stopped watching.

I can't wait to have the real J&M back! HURRAY!!!

And the rest of the show seems to be picking up too. Though this week [my happiness re J&M scenes on Wed aside] was a sheer mess. You can tell they are trying to get the house back in order...when do Tomlin's epis begin airing? Was yesterday still credited to Scott?
ICAM!

I prefer to think of myself as devoted vs. rabid, but I absolutely love J&M. You hit the nail on the head for me. 'They never give up on each other' in my J&M world. That's why I was frustrated as well. I don't want them to be perfect or not have problems, but they have to be there for each other. That was missing until recently.

I hope this change was due to Tomlin. If so, I'm psyched!

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Marlena wasn't the to turn her back on John and Marlena,JOHN was,the moment he was ''afraid of the past'' as Old John put it was when he did,the second he destroyed the disc and lab was when he turned his back.Marlena has been through an emotional rollercoaster the last 11 months,you cannot go thru what she has and not be changed in some way,thats what happens in life good or crappy situations can change us and make us think differently.

Kyrai

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Sep 19 2008, 09:35 AM
Marlena wasn't the to turn her back on John and Marlena,JOHN was,the moment he was ''afraid of the past'' as Old John put it was when he did,the second he destroyed the disc and lab was when he turned his back.Marlena has been through an emotional rollercoaster the last 11 months,you cannot go thru what she has and not be changed in some way,thats what happens in life good or crappy situations can change us and make us think differently.

The way I saw it Marlena turned her back on John the moment she started pushing for him to be 'old' John for herself. She didn't think about his welfare or even try to help him thru what Stefano did to him. She only wanted 'her' John back. Imo, Marlena has been written horribly. She has generally put John's needs above hers, and this time her need to have 'old' John back as he was took priority. She was selfish. I can't erase it, but I'm gonna do my best to ignore it and go on.

I don't blame John because he's the victim this time, the one who needed Marlena to stand by him. Just like I didn't blame Marlena for what she did to John when she was possessed or lost her memory. I missed John's core goodness, but given that Stefano intentionally did things to John's brain, I can't say he was out of character so much as playing a character who'd had his soul taken by Stefano. I really wanted to see Marlena stand by him and help him get it back. Instead she pushed him into Ava's arms. He needed SOMEONE to give him a chance. It should have been Marlena.

After Wednesday's show, I'm hopeful the new writing will turn things around. Marlena was a bit more like her old self, and John was awesome! I love him accepting that he can't make her happy, but realizing how much he cares for her. I like them apart right now. No one does angst, longing, love better than Drake. :) I want them to get to know each other all over again. No matter what I'd like them to be friends even if they go their separate ways.

New writer, new life. I'm anxious to see what they will do with this story. I'm going to try to be optimistic.
Edited by Kyrai, Sep 19 2008, 08:13 PM.

JandM4evermore
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Sep 19 2008, 07:38 PM
JohnandMarlenaFreak

The way I saw it Marlena turned her back on John the moment she started pushing for him to be 'old' John for herself. She didn't think about his welfare or even try to help him thru what Stefano did to him. She only wanted 'her' John back. Imo, Marlena has been written horribly. She has generally put John's needs above hers, and this time her need to have 'old' John back as he was took priority. She was selfish. I can't erase it, but I'm gonna do my best to ignore it and go on.

I don't blame John because he's the victim this time, the one who needed Marlena to stand by him. Just like I didn't blame Marlena for what she did to John when she was possessed or lost her memory. I missed John's core goodness, but given that Stefano intentionally did things to John's brain, I can't say he was out of character so much as playing a character who'd had his soul taken by Stefano. I really wanted to see Marlena stand by him and help him get it back. Instead she pushed him into Ava's arms. He needed SOMEONE to give him a chance. It should have been Marlena.

After Wednesday's show, I'm hopeful the new writing will turn things around. Marlena was a bit more like her old self, and John was awesome! I love him accepting that he can't make her happy, but realizing how much he cares for her. I like them apart right now. No one does angst, longing, love better than Drake. :) I want them to get to know each other all over again. No matter what I'd like them to be friends even if they go their separate ways.

New writer, new life. I'm anxious to see what they will do with this story. I'm going to try to be optimistic.
I loved Wednesday show too. I want to be optimistic about the show and hope this continues. Dena H. is not my favorite writer and I don't trust her to continue this s/l and make what it should be, but Deidre and Drake were amazing in their scenes and I just hope it continues!!

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Kyrai
JohnandMarlenaFreak

True,Higley cannot write for anything,she doesn't know the character of Marlena AT ALL,but I wouldn't really say Marlena was selfish,she was in love with Old John for a long,long,long time and he died and came back to her,only physically,if the love of my life died and came back to me the way NuJohn was in the beginning,being the polar opposite of the man I loved,I wouldn't give him the time of day,like I said she loved her husband,she can't change the way she feels and I think it was a little denial too,who knows,maybe she thought if she gave this John a chance and fell for him she would forget Old John and the love they shared and that she'd love this guy more,I think thats possible and it scared her,but now she's realized Old John,at least for now isn't coming back,though I think he is,oh how I hope he is.

daisysmommy

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Sep 20 2008, 10:02 AM
Kyrai
JohnandMarlenaFreak

True,Higley cannot write for anything,she doesn't know the character of Marlena AT ALL,but I wouldn't really say Marlena was selfish,she was in love with Old John for a long,long,long time and he died and came back to her,only physically,if the love of my life died and came back to me the way NuJohn was in the beginning,being the polar opposite of the man I loved,I wouldn't give him the time of day,like I said she loved her husband,she can't change the way she feels and I think it was a little denial too,who knows,maybe she thought if she gave this John a chance and fell for him she would forget Old John and the love they shared and that she'd love this guy more,I think thats possible and it scared her,but now she's realized Old John,at least for now isn't coming back,though I think he is,oh how I hope he is.
BTW-- because I am J&M enamoured, or a serious fan, or rabid or whatever the PC way is to express it....

And because I thought Wed was yards away from the nonesense we have been served up until now on this story, I went back and checked credits.

Gary Tomlin is credited with Wed episode.

Hmmmm.....

Also, I gotta say, Higley CAN write J&M-- she's been there (for the most part) since that storyline began in the mid-80s. IF she does it and how WELL she does it, that's TBD. But she's been there long enough to know WHAT to write to please the fanbase. So, for now, I am gonna have hope.

jules

Blindside84
Sep 18 2008, 10:37 PM
Ellie
Sep 18 2008, 03:35 PM
Whatever it is, I hope it's in character. The hospital scenes got it absolutely perfect : even as Stefano wanted to take revenge on Marlena, he sat there and fantasized about her. The Stefano/Marlena scenes after the Shelle wedding tapped into that dynamic as well. Stefano has always been completely intrigued by Marlena, but in his warped world, that manifests itself in his hurting her in order to force her to care for him.
I agree with you. I think you got Stefano completely right even when he is furious with Marlena he is still intrigued by her and cannot stay away from her. I hope the writing is true to the history and characters also.
Great post. This storyline was supposed to bring J&M closer and when it drove them further and further apart this summer, it was just to hard to watch. But the minute J&M have scenes like the ones her office and the mansion, I'm hooked back into the story. I just hope it plays out as described and isn't just on 1 or 2 show "event"
Edited by jules, Sep 20 2008, 07:17 PM.

jules

jules
Sep 20 2008, 07:17 PM
Blindside84
Ellie
Whatever it is, I hope it's in character. The hospital scenes got it absolutely perfect : even as Stefano wanted to take revenge on Marlena, he sat there and fantasized about her. The Stefano/Marlena scenes after the Shelle wedding tapped into that dynamic as well. Stefano has always been completely intrigued by Marlena, but in his warped world, that manifests itself in his hurting her in order to force her to care for him.
I agree with you. I think you got Stefano completely right even when he is furious with Marlena he is still intrigued by her and cannot stay away from her. I hope the writing is true to the history and characters also.
Great post. This storyline was supposed to bring J&M closer and when it drove them further and further apart this summer, it was just to hard to watch. But the minute J&M have scenes like the ones her office and the mansion, I'm hooked back into the story. I just hope it plays out as described and isn't just on 1 or 2 show "event"
Oops, this response was supposed to go under daisymommy's post....maybe it will make more sense now LOL.

hops
Member Avatar

jules
Sep 20 2008, 07:17 PM
Blindside84
Ellie
Well, I don't think they could get any further apart. It's time they started moving closer. I'm looking forward to it!! They were losing me and then I watched Wednesday and I was back, lol. Another thing I liked about Wednesday, besides the J&M scenes which I loved, was that they actually continued something from a few days before. Marlena apologized to Sami for maybe being a little to hard on her, but hoped that she would think with her head a bit more and they hugged and Sami stood by Marlena and understood why she did what she did. I liked that.

JandM4evermore
Member Avatar

I just want an indept s/l for J&M and something we fans can sink our teeth into, but I am not sure Dena H. is not capable of writing ann indept s/l. She just doesn't have the talent for that type of writing. All I can say is that they must have gotten her cheap because she does not have the caliber of writing ability that other writers have. She has so much acting talent to work with on Days but sadly she has no idea what to do with it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply