Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ABC Daytime vs CBS Daytime
Topic Started: Sep 18 2008, 10:16 PM (975 Views)
ljacks13
Member Avatar

Let's see ABC Daytime within the last year has acquired the following actors are their shows within the last year:

Ricky Paull Goldin

Beth Ehlers

A Martinez

Genie Francis

Eden Riegel

Tamara Braun

Sarah Brown

Cady McClain

Vincent Izizzary and etc.

and CBS has acquired...who?

ABC is kicking CBS's ass in the casting department. But the question is why? Is ABC offering that much more money than CBS?

Barbara Bloom needs to do something to get some buzz back on her shows.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

ljacks13
Sep 18 2008, 10:16 PM

Resigning sounds like a good idea......... :D

Mason
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Sep 18 2008, 10:22 PM
ljacks13
Sep 18 2008, 10:16 PM

Resigning sounds like a good idea......... :D
Nail. Head.

King
Member Avatar

It's Frons! He's amazing!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

I jsut read at SON that A Martinez is already out at OLTL though. It wasn't announced but his role was only intended to be short term and he has already filmed his last episode.

jimmyk311

I'm kinda curious, what's the backstory between those two networks that started this whole feud that is making the two loses money and ratings?
Edited by jimmyk311, Sep 19 2008, 05:57 AM.

Manny
Member Avatar

Well Y&R has several cast members coming back...

They also got Liz Hendrickson from AMC, they will have one other ex-AMC on Y&R soon too.

B&B got Brandon Beemer.

ATWT is bringing at least one dude back (as far as I know)...

So yeah, ABC has more people, but I'm sure there are more people who came on board on CBS in the last year, but I just can't remember.. lol

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

As far as I know there is no real backstory with CBS and ABC - just your normal industry dealings.

Now with NBC and ABC there has been a long history of animosity ever since GH worked to steal Denise Alexander who was NBC's most popular star in the 70's.

Then later ABC took advantage of AW's firings of Courtney and Reinholt and stole them.

After that GH lured The Doctors writers Eileen & Robert Mason Pollock to write GH along with 2 more top stars, Anna Stuart & Gerald Gordon.

When that didn't work out with the Pollocks they released the Pollocks and stole Douglas Marland who had successfully replaced the Pollocks at The Doctors.

NBC has worked for years to try and get back at ABC. First offering Susan Lucci an unheard of type contract in the late 70's. They told her to pick any role on one of their soaps and it was hers. She didn't take the offer.

NBC did grab up OLTL's departing producer Doris Quinlan to work at The Doctors along with hiring several of the stars who had been popular on OLTL - James Storm, Katherine Glass, Doris Belack and Nancy Pinkerton. They also hired ABC's most popular male at the time - Lee Patterson who had been released from OLTL.

NBC's best grab was hiring back Pat Falken Smith as writer for Days when she left GH. However they didn't keep her and fired her not long afterward.

Sadly in the long run, NBC never got the ratings gains nor the publicity from their steals that ABC got in the 70's.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

To CBS:
Elizabeth Hendrickson
Brandon Beemer
Laurence Lau
Noelle Beck
Julie Pinson (from NBC)

You could also look at it from the reverse angle - CBS has more stability and ABC has to grasp at straws to try to get some buzz. I personally think outside Y&R, CBS is very bad right now, but just trying to play devil's advocate. I don't think adding tons of new faces is necessarily the way to save a show. And sometimes when I see a familiar face, it's hard for me to think of them as the new character.

And once again, instead of finding fresh writing talent, the shows rely on stunt casting to try to win back fans. Is anyone in power in the soap world ever going to admit, for the most part, the writing stinks?

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Frons fired Bloom as head writer at PC.

oakdalelover

When Pat Falken Smith returned to DAYS after writing General Hospital I remember NBC made a big deal about her coming back to NBC after her sucessful run at GH.

ljacks13
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Sep 19 2008, 09:34 AM
Now this picture gets clearer.

jimmyk311

RogerNewcomb
Sep 19 2008, 07:51 AM
And once again, instead of finding fresh writing talent, the shows rely on stunt casting to try to win back fans. Is anyone in power in the soap world ever going to admit, for the most part, the writing stinks?
I think it's a union thing.

I think alot of network execs don't like to take risks and they perfer to hired writers and producers who already pay their dues, which is funny because many of the people in charge aren't in the demographics that advertisers want.

I hate to say this, but I think soaps need to go all non-union.

Edited by jimmyk311, Sep 19 2008, 10:50 AM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

I remember PFS's second stint at DAYS very fondly! She wrote characters she was very familiar with along with others that were added between her gigs there and she even brought a few new faces on. The soap had been floundering and it really seemed to be on the rise when she came back. Her very strange and short time at GL wasn't too successful.

Mason
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
I thought he replaced her as Head of ABC Daytime?

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

hunterforrester
No, he didn't. That was Angela Shapiro who fired Bloom and Karen Harris as HW's of PC.

Frons didn't come to ABC until 2002, a full two years after Bloom and Harris' firings.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply