Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Linden Ashby talks about his exit
Topic Started: Sep 24 2008, 01:26 AM (1,079 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Linden Ashby Talks to Soaps.com About His Exit From Days

They killed him off, brought him back to life and then shipped him off to prison. If you were disappointed and confused as to why Paul Hollingsworth was suddenly dropped from Days of our Lives, you weren’t the only one. I recently had the pleasure of talking with Paul’s portrayer, Linden Ashby, who shared his thoughts on his character, working on Days and his very lengthy and successful career.

While Linden enjoyed the time he had on the NBC soap, he never really understood where Paul was coming from. “They didn’t know sort of what to do with this character. It would have been fun if it had gone some other places. I really thought it was going to continue,” he reflected.

After Paul was rolled into the river and left for dead, Linden knew he would be coming back, however, once he returned, any hope for a meaty storyline was quickly dashed. “They take the time and effort to bringing me back to life and you sort of go, for what? I never understood why I burned down the warehouse and planted the drugs anyway,” Linden marveled.

Wishing his time on Days had been longer, the gracious actor had nothing but positive things to say about his fellow Daytime cohorts. “I love some of the guys I worked with there. Drake (Hogestyn, John Black) is one of the most wacky characters I’ve ever seen in my life. He believes it, 100 percent. He invests and he’s really interesting to work with. I didn’t find anybody there who didn’t care,” Linden praised.

He also cited his enjoyment working with Josh Taylor (Roman Brady) and shared, “It was fun and I had a good time. I really did. I miss those guys. I miss being there.”

Chocking his departure up to being a causality of the new regime at Days, Linden reflected on his brief return from the dead saying, “It was set up to be a juicy thing and it just kind of felt like they dropped the ball or just turned away from it. And once they fired Kristen (who played his daughter Morgan Hollingsworth) I thought, well it’s got to be over.”

Since he has been on and off soaps for over two decades, starting with his portrayal of Curtis Alden on “Loving,” I wondered how Linden felt about the changes in Daytime over the years.

After we agreed that a lot of soaps try too hard to be Jerry Bruckheimer these days, with their event produced storylines, Linden mused, “The strength of a soap opera is people and relationships and family and the inner workings of human’s muddling through this life. I think that’s what people love about them. They love the human drama of it and that’s what a soap can do incredibly well.”

Conceding that it must be ‘brutal’ to write a soap opera every day, all year round, Linden offered, “If you tell good stories; if you have good relationships; if you have people that people care about, and love and like and are interested in, people are going to watch. People will tune in and they can’t get enough of it. It’s fun. It’s a guilty pleasure, soap operas.”

Linden also echoed many a fan's sentiment, saying that soaps can’t be afraid to kill people off and to let them stay that way. “Once a viewer gets tricked, it’s very hard for them to come back and commit,” he said, referring to the Melaswen storyline on Days when they brought several characters back from the dead at one time. “There’s no consequence to anything. There’s got to be consequence.”

Even though his time on Days has abruptly come to an end, that doesn’t mean Linden isn’t busy doing other things. Referring to himself as a ‘worker bee,’ this busy actor has consistently appeared in TV series, made for TV movies and feature films since the early ‘80’s.

Ashby most recently filmed a pilot for Lifetime, called “Drop Dead Diva,” where he will pop up as a recurring character. He also just finished shooting the film, “Van Wilder 3,” which he called, “a blast”, and a Steven Segal movie entitled, “The Last Night,” where he plays a secret service agent.

Since he has appeared in numerous popular projects over the years, Linden gets recognized quite a bit from people of all ages. “If it’s a guy 16 to 30, it’s probably “Mortal Combat.” If it’s a girl, it’s Y&R, Days, “Melrose Place”, Lifetime. I’ve probably done 20 Lifetime movies,” he surmised. “I ran into this woman in the airport and she goes, ‘I was sick on Saturday and I just sat and watched Lifetime. I saw three of your movies!’”

He laughed recalling the story, and then joked, “I’ve infected the fabric of America.” I agreed that he had, but in a good way.

I truly enjoyed talking with Linden and while I wish him success on all his many other projects, I hope that he graces Daytime with his presence again soon!

Soaps.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

So they fired Kristen Renton before him? That's what this article makes it sound like, with the quote from Linden.

Didn't it happen the other way around?

Deleted User
Deleted User

So I take it, his exit already aired onscreen?

I'm so happy to see though that Mr. Cage has a good sense of what soap opera should be. And it seems with DAYS, most actors love the people, hate the work.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Sep 24 2008, 01:30 AM
So they fired Kristen Renton before him? That's what this article makes it sound like, with the quote from Linden.

Didn't it happen the other way around?
Well he was always recurring so after they decided to fire Kristen they probably told him that he wasn't going to be continuing with them.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I think it was just they axed her and his axing came along with her's. They were both announced at the same time, although it was clear he was exiting before we got word of her as he was going to prison.

I really do think the Paul story was mostly Scott because Higley tied it up pretty quick once he was gone. I think it may have started out somewhat of a joint effort but became mostly Scott over the summer. Dena seems to be in support of Phloe while Scott liked the Morgan character (who came on shortly after he joined the show) so it makes sense and Linden did work at Y&R. I think maybe Dena killed Paul off but Scott wanted him to stay on so he brought him back, hence the back and forth.

I liked the story but I'm glad it is over. Too many visions clashing. I will miss Linden. He's a great actor and the character had major potential.

Shylock

Quote:

“I love some of the guys I worked with there. Drake (Hogestyn, John Black) is one of the most wacky characters I’ve ever seen in my life. He believes it, 100 percent. He invests and he’s really interesting to work with. I didn’t find anybody there who didn’t care,” Linden praised.
Considering that they care even when they're being shoveled piles of shit for material, I can only imagine what they'd do with a talented, permanent, writer coupled with an executive producer of equal talent.

Days4Life

I agree that story was a mess. At times it showed promise, but most of the time I couldn't figure out what was going on, or why. Good to know it wasn't just me...the actor portraying Hollingsworth didn't even understand the character.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Sep 24 2008, 08:03 AM
I agree that story was a mess. At times it showed promise, but most of the time I couldn't figure out what was going on, or why. Good to know it wasn't just me...the actor portraying Hollingsworth didn't even understand the character.
What a waste. There was so much potential there.

I guess they had to make room for P&P..... :eyeroll:

Thanks, Angie

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

There goes my dream of a Paul and Kate pairing :frown:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Paul would've been great with Kate or even as a foil for Tony and Anna in Spring when they were apart.

I think the issue wasn't the character. The character was fine. The issue was you had clashing visions and the story suffered and Scott's dismissal led to just ending it because it just wasn't worth it anymore and they were right. They got whatever they could out of it, given the circumstances, and at least unlike other times when the show dropped things that weren't working, they haven't swept it under the rug. It furthered other things and that is good.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Love Ashby, hated Paul. He was not needed and was on the show longer than he should've been. The character was poorly developed in my opinion. Ashby definitely got the shaft this go around.

Hope he has success in his future.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Another actor that gets that the daytime needs to be character driven not event driven.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I think most actors get it and, surprisingly enough, I do think some execs and writers get it. Not all but some.

I think the issue is higher ups, interference, and SOME fanbases. It's not so clear cut anymore. There are many factors involved and those factors hurt the soaps immensely.

We've seen in recent years how some soaps have taken the character-driven route and taken flak from fans for other reasons. The ratings don't seem to respond either and, while it seems TPTB have stopped looking at ratings as the end all to be all, they still look at them and this is still a business. Events tend to generate what little positive ratings any show gets nowadays so it's easy to fall back into event-driven story and those in charge can cite all this as justification for it.

The good news is that many soaps seem to not be worrying about it and are hoping that character-driven will do well for them in the end. Y&R, Days (I know some will disagree but this is just my opinion), AMC (slowly but surely improving), and OLTL (although not as much as a few months ago) all fall into that category for me. Hopefully, they will continue to improve and go in this direction and hopefully others will follow suit.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Sep 24 2008, 11:59 PM
^I think most actors get it and, surprisingly enough, I do think some execs and writers get it. Not all but some.

I think the issue is higher ups, interference, and SOME fanbases. It's not so clear cut anymore. There are many factors involved and those factors hurt the soaps immensely.

We've seen in recent years how some soaps have taken the character-driven route and taken flak from fans for other reasons. The ratings don't seem to respond either and, while it seems TPTB have stopped looking at ratings as the end all to be all, they still look at them and this is still a business. Events tend to generate what little positive ratings any show gets nowadays so it's easy to fall back into event-driven story and those in charge can cite all this as justification for it.

The good news is that many soaps seem to not be worrying about it and are hoping that character-driven will do well for them in the end. Y&R, Days (I know some will disagree but this is just my opinion), AMC (slowly but surely improving), and OLTL (although not as much as a few months ago) all fall into that category for me. Hopefully, they will continue to improve and go in this direction and hopefully others will follow suit.
I consider you on the mark again. The ironic thing is, when there are fans calling for CHARACTER driven stories, often, it depends on WHICH characters (i.e., THEIR characters). If an opposing character is being built up and featured, all hell breaks loose.
Once again, Paul had potential. Truly, in the hands of a good writer, any character introduced can be necessary, if done correctly. The problem is, in the hands of an inconsistent writer (read: Dena) or in a situation where there's a power struggle, potential sinks to the depths of the netherworld.
What a waste of a decent actor and a waste of potential to bring in someone who, yet again, isn't a Horton, Dimera, or Brady.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

DolceDiMera
Sep 24 2008, 05:13 PM
There goes my dream of a Paul and Kate pairing :frown:
Me, too, Dolce. I would have really liked that pairing.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Sep 25 2008, 07:28 AM
PhoenixRising05

I consider you on the mark again. The ironic thing is, when there are fans calling for CHARACTER driven stories, often, it depends on WHICH characters (i.e., THEIR characters). If an opposing character is being built up and featured, all hell breaks loose.
Once again, Paul had potential. Truly, in the hands of a good writer, any character introduced can be necessary, if done correctly. The problem is, in the hands of an inconsistent writer (read: Dena) or in a situation where there's a power struggle, potential sinks to the depths of the netherworld.
What a waste of a decent actor and a waste of potential to bring in someone who, yet again, isn't a Horton, Dimera, or Brady.
Co-sign.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Sep 25 2008, 07:28 AM
PhoenixRising05

Exactly and I don't even think it can be pinned on Dena. I don't even think Dena thought him up. Morgan and Paul were clearly Scott characters. Notice how during the strike when Ed really couldn't influence writing with the strike going on, Morgan was not on at all. She reappeared more and more once the strike ended and that is when Philip/Morgan began to get going. The minute Ed is fired, Morgan and Paul are both gone. Can't be a coincidence. My feeling is that Ed sold Dena on the idea of Paul coming in and he wanted Linden Ashby. The character was supposed to be short-term but Ed wanted it to be longer and that is why he came "back from the dead" only Scott was axed at the same time so Paul was sent off.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

I really liked Linden Ashby and would have liked to see him stick around but unfortunately his character wasn't needed.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply