Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of September 29, 2008
Topic Started: Sep 29 2008, 08:48 AM (4,901 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Oh one more thing...

Did anyone notice how yesterday and today (and tomorrow's episode does it too) how the show comes right back after the opening?

I think it may be a Tomlin thing. Passion and Sunset Beach used to be like that too. Alot of shows are. It means you get more segments in the last half hour so I do think it helps the flow. Just something I noticed.

Also, while I liked the black and white flashback today, I'm glad that tomorrow the flashbacks return to being similar to how Scott did them. They have a little fades tint to them. By the way, Peggy gives another fantastic performance tomorrow and I have to give kudos to Days for having Sami wonder out loud why she didn't notice she was pregnant sooner. She even mentions how she's put on weight, blaming it on not working out. I just love how they are mentioning little details of late. It really helps. Oh and John and Nicole are hilarious tomorrow. :laugh:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

They've been doing that every now and then since Hogan was writing last summer. It's not a Tomlin thing. It wasn't even a Scott thing. They did that, even when Wyman was Co-EP.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I am glad to hear the black and white flashbacks are back to normal. While I don't really mind the black and white, I'd rather see them in regular color. It just reminds me of when Wyman was producing the show and the colors were so off in flashbacks and fantasies and sorts.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Oct 1 2008, 08:46 PM
They've been doing that every now and then since Hogan was writing last summer. It's not a Tomlin thing. It wasn't even a Scott thing. They did that, even when Wyman was Co-EP.
Yes they used to combine the opening segment and the second segment but it was never like this. It was also temporary (usually only done when the show feared preemptions as a way to try to get as much in as possible) and this appears permanent.

Lately we get about 2-3 minutes (which used to be around 4-5 minutes) and then we get the opening followed by another segment. This causes the show to have an additional segment now in the last half of the show.

The show used to have just the opening segment with the opening, commercial break, then the second segment, commercial, third, commercial, fourth, commercial/halfway point, fifth, commercial, sixth, commercial, seventh, commercial, and then the eight and last segment.

Now, since Tuesday, we have the opening segment accompanied with the opening and then a segment right after the opening, commercial, next segment, commercial. next segment, commercial (and this is usually around the halfway point), next segment, commercial, and so on. Basically, it means we get an extra segment in the second half hour unless the first half hour has quick segments.

I know this is not a big deal but this is noticeable and does change the show's flow. It is something the show used to do way back. It's like they split the opening segment into two parts. Characters that we don't see before the opening are introduced into the action after the opening. Sure, characters pop in and out of episodes but not like this. Sunset Beach used to do that too. They would have some quick scenes before the opening and then bring more characters and stories into the episode after the opening. It also allows them to position stories well in the last half of the episode. I like it and I've always wanted them to do things like this.

koos

I wanted to kick my screen in after that confounded fantasy fakeout...

Sindacco
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Oct 1 2008, 02:02 PM
Whoa! They actually showed a real flashback from years ago and not just days or weeks or even months ago.

Colin Murphy, yikes! Such a bad character. I hated him so bad.

And it looks like Tomlin's production effects are taking shape. Did you notice we got a black and white flashback today. It's not as bad as the horribly colored flashbacks that Stephen Wyman produced, but I did like the way flashbacks looked while Scott was producing.
LOL, I loved Colin and was glad to see that flashback yesterday even though it was very short.

My favorite scenes yesterday were the ones with Victor and Caroline. But I don't want them back together as a couple again, that would make Victor to soft.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Well, Tim, you covered just about everything I liked about the episode. Thanks. But, there was just one thing that really bothered me and that was the greeting between Maggie and EJ. They should have left the kiss on the cheek out. I also agree that the Bradys are too sure that Max couldn't kill Trent, especially after what transpired at the Pub a few days ago. I have actually enjoyed most of this week and hope it continues. Sami and Lucas are much better together when they aren't screaming at each other. Their scenes were refreshing after what we have been subjected to the last few months. Oh, one other thing that bugged me was when Sami and EJ were working on her resume: Did Sami forget that she used to work at Titan in a pretty good position? And it wasn't much of a job but she worked at Basic Black too, and both she and EJ seemed to forget about Mythic. Stuff I can remember but the writers don't seem to, bug me. (Sindacco, can I borrow your bug?) :D

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Just watched wednesday's episode...It got a little slow at times..But i did enjoy it..Loved the Victor and Caroline scenes and the Sami and Lucas scenes..It was so refreshing seeing those two having a nice conversation and both expressing their jealous over Chloe and EJ...I dreaded the end with Sami finding out she is pregnant....I'm one that doesn't want another child for Sami...In fact i would have loved to watch Sami try to put her life back together and get a job, like she said she was going to try to do...

After hearing that there was a Nicole and EJ fakeout, i fast-forwarded their scenes...I also felt that Phillip and Melanie's scenes were pretty random..

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Today, I was actually getting on board with max until he seemed to get all whiney about how his long lost sister who doesn't know him didn't jump on the "Max is no killer" parade with his adopted family and accused him of killing their father even though she barely knows him, days earlier witnessed Max nearly slitting Trent's throat and Max has made more declarations he would kill Trent then most people say "please" and "thank you". Plus, Max had also accused her of it so I'm not sure what his problem is other than he's Max and the writers think this makes him sexier.

Loved Date. Today was the first day where I really did see the appeal of SC/Dan who was charming and almost sexy around her. Some of the dialog was over the top (Right here, right now) but that probably suits his character. I think he tried a little bit of his surfer talk like "one wave at a time" but Kate nipped that right in the bud.

Philip convinces me more of his worry of his mother than Lucas who looked like he was still in a bad mood from the news about Sami. Still, I like seeing them together like this.

Days4Life

Tripp
Oct 2 2008, 02:32 PM
Today, I was actually getting on board with max until he seemed to get all whiney about how his long lost sister who doesn't know him didn't jump on the "Max is no killer" parade with his adopted family and accused him of killing their father even though she barely knows him, days earlier witnessed Max nearly slitting Trent's throat and Max has made more declarations he would kill Trent then most people say "please" and "thank you". Plus, Max had also accused her of it so I'm not sure what his problem is other than he's Max and the writers think this makes him sexier.

This is why I truly hate the character of Max. He's all over the place, no consistency to him at all. Is he an angry genius, a playboy, a protective caregiver, who is this guy? I wish they would write him off, and he can take his niece/lover with him.

Seriously, does Sami think she can NOT tell EJ about this baby? She's already in her second trimester and she lives in the same house with him! What's her plan; what's she thinking? It's maddening. And I still don't buy the Nicole giddiness about this baby. Like she said to John, this was to be her official first date with EJ and yet she's fantasizing about fairytale happily ever after. Maybe this is her first reaction, and down the road reality is going to set in and she's going to crash and burn...I guess we'll wait and see.

I like seeing Philip's concern for his mom; we've been getting some great mother/son scenes with them. Lucas seems to be an afterthought, which is strange because in the past he's always been Kate's confidante and favored son.

Nicole Walker

I think Nicole can appreciate her pregnancy moreso than Sami. She was told she'd never have kids and now she is preggers. I can see why she's happy and hoping for the best. This is a miracle for her and those rarely happen for her.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days4Life
Oct 2 2008, 03:27 PM
Tripp
Oct 2 2008, 02:32 PM

This is why I truly hate the character of Max. He's all over the place, no consistency to him at all. Is he an angry genius, a playboy, a protective caregiver, who is this guy? I wish they would write him off, and he can take his niece/lover with him.

Seriously, does Sami think she can NOT tell EJ about this baby? She's already in her second trimester and she lives in the same house with him! What's her plan; what's she thinking? It's maddening. And I still don't buy the Nicole giddiness about this baby. Like she said to John, this was to be her official first date with EJ and yet she's fantasizing about fairytale happily ever after. Maybe this is her first reaction, and down the road reality is going to set in and she's going to crash and burn...I guess we'll wait and see.

I like seeing Philip's concern for his mom; we've been getting some great mother/son scenes with them. Lucas seems to be an afterthought, which is strange because in the past he's always been Kate's confidante and favored son.

Lucas and Kate's relationship has been tenuous at best the last few years so I can see his reaction. It seems he cares but I also think Lucas is just a bit more reserved in general. Philip seems to be more emotional when it comes to his mother so their reactions are spot on IMO. I did enjoy seeing all three in scenes together. The show really is doing this illness story justice so far. It's playing out the family aspect, playing Kate in character, and the Daniel aspect is being handled nicely. Yes, Daniel was a bit over the top but it's his character. Glad Kate mentioned his wife that died of cancer. I really hope this story continues down the road it's going. Very nice so far.

I think Sami is just in panic mode. She mentioned concern about Stefano and I think that plays into her not wanting to tell EJ. I think she realizes she has to tell him but she was getting her life in order and now this. It's a state of confusion and shock and I really think she plans to tell him. I think a part of her would like to keep it from him so she wouldn't have to deal with the Dimera aspect but I think she realizes it's too late for that, unless she lies and says Lucas is the father, which probably won't happen. I did like Lucas wanting EJ to know and bringing up what Sami did to him regarding Will. That explains why, despite his hatred for EJ, he would think it was right for him to know. I really feel like Sami and Lucas are in character right now. It was a nice touch having Lucas note the look on Sami's face and warning her about scheming again. It was like old school Lumi.

I do think Nicole was sort of in this fantasy world. Trent is gone. She's pregnant. Things with EJ were going well. It's realistic for her to be on a high but all that crashed and burned when he left her for Sami today. Her whole demeanor changed back to what it was prior to their talk last week. Now she sees that Sami is never going to be out of the picture and she will either have to deal with it or cut her losses. I liked that last scene where she lashed out in anger as John watched. Makes me think he may get caught up in this since he likes both her and Sami. John and Nicole were hilarious together and make great friends. Loved his saying her drinking doesn't "compute." I also love how fascinated he was with her being pregnant. John is a gossip hound and it's hilarious :laugh: . I also like how Nicole brought up John liking Sami. Again, it makes me think John may play a role in this somehow. Ari looked great today. I'm also glad they continue to mention Rolf and Stefano even when they aren't on. Nice stuff there.

I think Max has consistency as a character as far as what we have seen since spring. I expect him to be a bit all over the place right now with Trent dying, everything with Melanie, and now Caroline being arrested. I like Max the way he was today. I don't think he was expecting everyone to believe he was innocent and I don't mind the Brady's thinking he is. He's their family. Why wouldn't they? I always enjoy Kayla/Max scenes so loved those. Loving the use of Mickey lately and glad he had that moment with Caroline where he advised her to be careful what she says, even if Bo and Roman are her kids. Peggy was great today and the show did a fine job of recapping Caroline's history with Trent and I thought the face-off we saw for the first time in flashbacks today was well-done. Roscoe was in rare form there and Peggy played it very well as Caroline's anger in that scene escalated. It made me totally see her motivation in threatening Trent with the knife. I like the way this is all playing out. The focus is on Caroline right now and we know what happened in regards to her that night and then Mickey comes in, saying someone witnessed Caroline threatening him. It's all coming together nicely and it's so nice to see Caroline involved in a big story. They've left enough missing pieces to make you wonder if maybe Caroline is still hiding something. Maybe she is covering for someone. That is what a murder story should do. I also appreciated how Bo and Roman seemed to wonder if Caroline could've done it after she told them what happened. That is realistic and I can't blame them.

All in all, a fairly good episode. Let's hope Friday delivers as well.

jane1978

I must say I really like the last segments of the show lately. From the moment Gary Tomlin came on the show it never just fades out and there always seems to be a well thought out finale wanting you to tune in next day again. Thatīs how it should be and most of the time was really missing with Scott for whatever reason. I think Tomlin is bringing in some of his Passions experience because Reilly used to be a king of cliffhangers.

Btw. I thought I will really hate and be bored with the double pregnancy story, but so far it actually comes much better than I expected from spoilers.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I actually think that started a bit once Rick Draughon got promoted. Since July, the show has given us a cliffhanger on most days. I think the difference now is that with the backstage junk over with and Tomlin in place, the show can actually go ahead with stories. Everyone seems to be on the same page at the moment and once the show commits to direction in most, if not all, their stories you will usually get more cliffhangers because now things can happen because you are committed to seeing those stories through.

I always said it's one thing to have bad stories but it's a WORSE thing to have a directionless show and a show in upheaval as a result of too many visions. We all know Corday will force his way into the equation but when you have him, Higle, and Scott all at odds, you have an even bigger mess. Now it seems Higley and Tomlin are on the same page and Corday is committed to the direction of the show so you essentially have one vision at the moment. That doesn't mean you will always have good stories but at least you can sense the show is going somewhere and that things will have impact.

I agree about the pregnancy story. I was ok about Nicole but the Sami one I hated. I still don't like it all that much but the story is playing out much better then I thought it would.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 2 2008, 04:38 PM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Nice to see Caroline at the center of todays show..Peggy McCay did a great job today...So nice getting to see her shine after all these years..2008 really has been her year..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Oct 3 2008, 12:58 AM
Nice to see Caroline at the center of todays show..Peggy McCay did a great job today...So nice getting to see her shine after all these years..2008 really has been her year..
I agree. I'm so happy for her. Hopefully she gets a supporting actress nod next year at Emmy time. She deserves it.

Tomorrow is a fine episode too. Great performances from JS, AS, AZ, and LK. It also seems like Chloe will be off the canvas for awhile as Chloe leaves for Kansas City tomorrow. I should also say the John and Nicole scenes are just great and Ari is just superb tomorrow. She really has come a long way as an actress. My only regret is while tomorrow is an ok show, there is no cliffhanger and I really hope the show gets a bit more consistent with delivering Friday cliffhangers, much like last week's. They are important. Not only that but Morgan's exit sucks. She's chucked into the show for 2-3 scenes and then just leaves. It's like an afterthought and very forced. She's not even mad about what she sees. She just seems annoyed. It actually made me glad she is gone and this is coming from a fan of hers.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

How great is it seeing Caroline be the center of the show this week, like others have said Peggy is delivering. She does have plenty of material for a supporting actress nom, although I would be absolutely shocked if she pulled a nom somehow. I enjoyed all the cop station scenes until the end when I found it contrived how a couple just happened to walk by at the exact time Caroline went after Trent with a knife.

Bryan Datillo is actually a good actor when he doesn't have to show rage or isn't yelling out his lines. The scenes the last 2 eppies is how and why I used to be a LUMI fan. Having said that I don't ever want them back together, they are best when they are bickering back and forth. These scenes were great, glad Lucas brought up the Will ordeal.

I wish someone would kill Dan just like they did Trent, I just can't take much more of him. How I would love to watch Victor strangle him to death.

Jawn/Nicole: Ari has become a top notch actress, she shines in every single scene. Her and Drake play off each other well.

I am looking forward to see how EJ eventually reacts to fathering 2 more children. Ever heard of a condom? :lol:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kirk
Oct 3 2008, 02:02 AM
I enjoyed all the cop station scenes until the end when I found it contrived how a couple just happened to walk by at the exact time Caroline went after Trent with a knife.

Really? I think what helped it for me was Caroline mentioning there was a lull in business when Trent came in. The Pub was still open so it seemed reasonable. Hell, people could've just been walking by and not going to the Pub and noticed what was going on.

In regards to Peggy, if Judi Evans can get in for two good episodes all of last year (I know she was playing different characters and all but still), Peggy can get in for sure. Hell, I think she's won a primetime Emmy before. Days did breakthrough at the Emmy's last year so it is possible. I hope she at least gets a nod. I know a win isn't very possible but a nod would be nice.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Although i'm happy to have Morgan leave the show..I do like Kristen Renton and her exits sucks..Maybe she was a problem on the set and Gary Tomlin was told to get rid of her ASAP...Because she hasn't been on since he took over and she returns to town only to leave after a few scenes..It would have been nice to see her say goodbye to Max, Stephanie, Chelsea, and Nick..

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

I'm hoping DAYS will pre-nom Peggy McCay for Supporting Actress. She's just been amazing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply