Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of September 29, 2008
Topic Started: Sep 29 2008, 08:48 AM (4,947 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Oct 3 2008, 04:19 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 3 2008, 03:38 PM
The only thing I had a problem with today was the editing. It was horrible. We had Sami at the hospital and then halfway through Sami at the Dimera mansion overhearing Stefano and EJ and then all of a sudden she is with Lucas, who just left Kate at the hospital, at the cabin. I feel like the show missed a scene where Sami left the mansion, found Lucas at the hospital or something, and then went to the cabin. They should've either had a scene or a line of dialogue alluding to that. I understand why Sami went with him since she was upset over Stefano and EJ but still. That was a misstep for me.

Not only that but so much was choppy today. That little 2 second scene of Chloe looking out the pub window for Lucas. Why bother with that? It serves no purpose. It just felt off to me. The show felt mangles. The first half was solidly organized and the second half felt rushed and pieced together, at least for me.
I agree. The clear direction and drive was missing today, almost like the show was heavily edited or atleast patched together from few different scripts. I think originally it was atleast two shows, but they decided to cut out most of the Phillip/Morgan/Chloe and EJ/Stefano conversation.
I don't think anything was cut from Stefano/EJ but Philip/Morgan/Chloe clearly was. Morgan should've at least said goodbye to friends or had more stuff then she did with Philip. I was thinking she would catch Philip kissing Chloe, lash out, maybe slap him, and then mention leaving. Then she says goodbye and admits her feelings. He apologizes and so on. Then she leaves. Instead, she simply catches them and gives them nothing but a cold look and seemingly gets over things in a second. She announces she's leaving and tells Philip he is a good guy after she catches him kissing his ex? Just dumb. You can tell it was just thought of as a necessity. They may as well have just had Philip mention her in passing. I mean, seriously. Renton must have really screwed up. Days has had some lame exits but this one was just...torture. They could've salvaged it on Monday by having her appear with her friends to say goodbye but nothing but a mention from Philip and later Chelsea, who is pissed at Philip for how he treated Morgan. At least they acknowledge how upset Morgan is and how Philip treated her Monday but it should've happened today. Stephanie should also mention something on Monday too but nada.. It makes me glad she's gone because it's clear the show moved on before her last scene.

The show was still good but it just was poorly put together. It happens sometimes. They just can't make a habit out of it but as long as the material is mostly good, like today was, it will still work out well overall.

Monday is actually a decent episode. Lumi got their groove back. Bryan and Ali seem back in their natural comfort zone and there is some good stuff with Stefano and Johnny and Stefano and Sami. The Dimera empire story is also back in the mix a bit and Rachel Melvin does a fine job on Monday's episode. Her best acting in months IMO. The Melanie/Max stuff is cute too. The good news is Monday's episode isn't choppy from a technical standpoint like I felt today's was so it appears to be an isolated incident, thank God.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 4 2008, 03:23 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Shylock
Oct 4 2008, 12:38 AM
And why is it Kristen Renton did something to piss someone off? What about "Dena Higley, letting her personal feelings get in the way of her professional career, got Renton canned, because she was an Ed Scott project"?

Which would go for Linden Ashby too.
Thatīs just it. Weīve had Corday doing the previews AFTER Scott was already canned and it was clearly Higley previews because most of the promissed stories are really on screen now. Most, except the whole Phillip/Chloe/Morgan triangle and the "happy, but catastrophic" event promissed for fall. Instead, Morgan is written out quickly with no explanation and Chloe disappears from the screen for a while too. Why? Because the scripts for the fall story, scripts written by Higley, are already done and there is no time to rewrite it.

And the show seemed to be strongly in the Phorgan direction just two weeks ago. They even made sure to incorporate her more into the other stories with her starting to work for Kate, and those scenes were taped when Scott was already gone. Why they wouldnīt edit it out, if they knew Kristen is on her way out? It doesnīt make sense. I really think Higley is innocent this time and itīs more Tomlin decision. Even if she wanted Morgan out she could easily do it in much more dramatic and sensitic way. But this looks almost like somebody really didnīt want Kristen on the set anymore and got rid of her as soon as possible.

The last time I saw this kind of abrupt exit was when Ari decided to not resign and Reilly write her out immediatelly.
Edited by jane1978, Oct 4 2008, 05:16 AM.

jane1978

Ignore this post, please. :hail:
Edited by jane1978, Oct 4 2008, 05:17 AM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Congrats to you too, Alligato :D It's not EJ's too, is it? ;)

Kyrai

Alligato
Oct 3 2008, 08:53 PM
I am so damn confused with the Sami vs. EJ vs. Nicole debacle.
Aside from their past history, on Thursday, we have Sami telling Lucas that EJ means nothing and that she doesn't want anything to do with him now or ever. On Friday, Sami blows a gasket ordering EJ to get out because he had dinner with Nicole, not to mention called him a bastard for going after all these women when she knows that he has been all over her for the past 2 years. Also, she said she didn't want things to be different because of the baby...like she wants EJ to want her for her.

On Thursday, EJ plans this date for Nicole, gets her gifts, has told her recently to have "faith in us" and showers her with compliments...but runs off to see Sami, his love. On Friday, EJ says that his date with Nicole meant nothing, says that he wants to have dinner with Sami, but then runs off and says he is not in love with her and she is an awful person.

I just can't tell you where EJ or Sami's mind is right now. WTF is going on?? Where are we going with this? Whenever I think I figure it out, EJ slams Sami or Sami starts treating EJ like shit.

And I feel for Nicole. Her scene with John was awesome, and Ari just sells anything her character does. I am pregnant too (congrats Sariah!!), and when Nicole talks about all the emotions that you feel when you find out, I totally agree. Surprisingly, Nicole is acting like the most mature of the 3.
I loved the banter between Nicole and John. I couldn't get enough of their scenes, and John just captivates me! I loved how he told her "you can't leave when you are this upset. You will drive into a tree." I love the way he delivers.
Ari and Drake just seem to be the most enthusiastic about their jobs out of everyone.

Kate/Phillip was intense, but I loved it.
Morgan exit was unnecessary and abrupt. I had high hopes for Phorgan, but ready to see what is next for my man, Philly K.

Lucas has been awesome as Sami's confidant. He is acting like Lucas, talking like Lucas, and Sami loosens up. He is at his best like this. Loved that he took up for EJ. Love Lumis new relationship!!! They are great as friends and sound boards.

This week was great. I loved the movement, how the show continues after the "like sands through the hourglass", loved some of the references to history.
Look forward to next week.
I had the same thoughts about this triangle. Thursday didn't seem to match Friday, but just going by Friday, it seems to me like Ej does love Sami and is mainly trying to move on with Nicole out of frustration. If I were to guess, I'd think Stefano is gonna be more of a hurdle to EJ/Sami than Nicole, but I can't even make a good guess what is gonna happen because it changes so much from day to day.

I've stopped trying to follow this and J&M as storylines for now. I've been frustrated for so long, I'm just trying to enjoy the scenes without regard to story. When I've brought up issues with continuity from episode to episode, the Ed/Higley stuff was brought up as the excuse and now the new writers need time to get set. I've been seeing this kind of up and down since May, but I'm trying to hope that it was somehow all Ed's fault and that eventually the storylines themselves will flow and make sense after the new writers get set. Right now I'm just watching not expecting stories to flow from day to day and being happy if it does vs. frustrated when it doesn't. For the moment, that is helping. I just wish I knew how long it would take for new writers to get set so I could enjoy all the stories again vs scenes, but the scenes Friday were good imo. I do like more references to history too. :)

Congrats on the pregnancy! :cheer: These two pregnant storylines are bringing back memories for me of all the hormones I had. When Sami was ranting at Ej, my husband walked by and asked what was wrong with her. I said she's pregnant, and that's all he needed to know. He remembers lol! I suspect I sounded alot like Sami when he ticked me off.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

The dialogue during the EJ/Sami scene as well as the dialogue during the EJ/Stefano scene was ripped right from the message boards.
Daniel and Kate still do nothing for me together.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Sariah
Oct 4 2008, 08:52 AM
Congrats to you too, Alligato :D It's not EJ's too, is it? ;)
LOL, Sariah!!! Thanks!
That man sure gets around!!! I don't blame the women though!!! :)

Tricky
Member Avatar

i enjoyed the latter part of the week, thursday and friday. i feel we are starting to see some of the new exec. prod. work...and i just hope the new writers stuff kicks in and its more character driven than just driven by the flavor of the day plot...tired of seeing my favs gutted to make them fit storylines...at least with a few characters i am starting to see some personal movtivation from them onscreen, like what they are thinking and stuff like that, i was starting to be desperate for that...like to the point of missing cheesy voice overs. all in all from spoilers i have read for the next couple of weeks the show looks watchable for me again and i am loving being able to watch it again and not be too disappointed
Edited by Tricky, Oct 5 2008, 12:36 AM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 3 2008, 03:38 PM
I did like Stefano advising EJ and I love that chilling theme in the background. Nice way to scare the hell out of Sami. I just love Joe and James together. Ali and James rocked in the hospital scenes. Good stuff. Fiery Sami is back.
Do you mean the one that started to play when Sami heard Stefano and EJ? That is my favorite music score of all the current ones. That one have been played in many scenes with Stefano since he came back last summer, and also in several Victor/Philip scenes this year. That score is perfect for the Kiriakis and DiMera scenes.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

So are we to assume that the two female's that were being let go from the show are KR and NB? Obviously KR, but can we assume that NB is the other actress that was let go? And how interesting... both ladies left after scenes with Philip, on the same day, within moments of one another. I don't consider NB to be beloved or a vet, so I guess we are still in a wait and see pattern for that last one.

Days4Life

I'm hearing that Nadia was initially the second actress that was to be fired, but the EP changed that. Friday's show did seem like a "good-bye" for her, but she's coming back, which is quite likely a rewrite. So maybe no one's leaving; I guess we'll wait and see.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Oct 5 2008, 01:54 PM
I'm hearing that Nadia was initially the second actress that was to be fired, but the EP changed that. Friday's show did seem like a "good-bye" for her, but she's coming back, which is quite likely a rewrite. So maybe no one's leaving; I guess we'll wait and see.
I agree. Chloe's recent goodbye seemed like a lame Higley exit, and almost mirrors her last exit back in 2003 when Higley was writing the show then. I do think Chloe was originally supposed to go to Kansas City and this would be Nadia's exit, but something's been changed. Many have said that Tomlin is a fan of Nadia's and wanted her and Chloe to stay in Salem, and he was responsible for coming up with the idea to have Brady come back, played by Eric Martsolf.

This could be a bad thing though. If Higley was planning to write out Chloe, it could mean that she doesn't like writing for her. If that's the case, I'd rather Chloe get the boot than to watch this writer be forced to write for this character, probably in a bad way.

aimees76
Member Avatar

I really enjoyed the Nicole and John scenes, and Lumi scenes on Thursday and Friday ... that was about it for me this week. I adore Lumi, and it was wonderfully to see them smirking and twinkling at each other again instead of fighting. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply