Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of October 6, 2008
Topic Started: Oct 5 2008, 02:00 AM (5,229 Views)
SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I will agree there are stupid posters in every fanbase..........I certainly don't think dsand meant any disrespect............I know NBC can be a harsh place!!!

I think overall, DR posters are thoughtful and try to be respectful of everyone's views.

This is from a 40 yr old, mother, wife, business owning Ejami fan!! ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nicole Walker

Quote:

I will agree there are stupid posters in every fanbase..........I certainly don't think dsand meant any disrespect............I know NBC can be a harsh place!!!

We need to read that from d_sand.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Oct 8 2008, 09:47 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Overall, I thought today was an ok show. I did have a few issues with it though.

First off, I understand why they had Nick get a DUI (especially after already seeing Thursday's episode). It helps show that Nick is still torn up over losing Chelsea and it's the sort of stuff we should've seen last Spring after they broke up but never got. I also understand too that the Nick stuff was juxtaposed with the Melanie flashbacks as a way of making the viewer think that maybe Nick came to help her since he's hand is bruised and Melanie and Trent were struggling with the knife there. Having Nick say that he was responsible and then Melanie saying she couldn't remember what happened after Trent and her began scuffling...it's clear the show is just setting up the possibility that Nick came to Melanie's rescue so that possibility can be out there. That is all fine and good and I think the show did a good job TODAY with how it handled the juxtaposition (which is what I take issue with and I will get to that in a bit).

The flashback scenes were good. Roscoe and Molly work well together. Too bad they didn't share more scenes. I enjoyed seeing her mention how Max is all she has and how he is her home. I was touched when she said he is the only one she would miss. It was so sleazy of Trent to say that Caroline and Shawn weren't Max's parents. I only wish Trent was written the whole time the way he's been the past few weeks. He's much better this way. Blake also did a good job playing a drunk. He's done it before but he was hilarious in his scenes with Roman, especially his putting his arm around him and the whole "chipped tooth" thing. Nice seeing Maggie and I'm really glad they are using her more. Glad there is a Horton presence back on the show. Her lecture to Nick meant alot considering her past with alcohol. I just love little things like that because it shows the writers are paying attention. I also liked the talk Maggie and Nick had in the jail cell. Very effective way of sending things in the direction of Chick and also set up the triangle prospect with Melanie. This sets things up nicely tomorrow for when Chelsea and Nick talk and things get tense when Melanie arrives.

Anyway, on to my problem. Those who said it was dumb for us not to see the buildup to Nick's DUI were correct. That was plain stupid. I understand they have set issues but show him at the Pub having a few drinks and then he can maybe move on (since he clearly wanted to be at a place where no one could stop him from drinking). At least then we could get some setup. The whole Nick/Daniel thing should've been seen. That is important. I mean, it's not a huge deal but it helps set things up. It felt like whiplash today for him to just appear in the second segment and then we had to wait 45 minutes to hear what happened when we should've had some idea already. I get they dragged it out to have it follow with the Melanie flashbacks but still. I guess it can be read as the show thinking it has the same impact hearing about it as it would seeing it but it bugged me. The scenes were effective today though.

I do like Stax having conflict. They seem more interesting that way. As I mentioned on another thread, I was annoyed by all the dancing around in Stephanie and Max's dialogue. Stephanie never called Bo or Roman "uncle" when Max was around. She only used it with Melanie. I mean, Stephanie comes off as an outsider in the family and she isn't. Tomorrow isn't so bad in their scenes with Caroline but there is one instance where she asks Max "How is she?" referring to Caroline. It just gets annoying seeing all the dialogue dancing around. Just acknowledge the issue and handle it a bit and move on. Simple. The station scenes were good. i like all the reactions and suspicions concerning Melanie. No one knows her so that is realistic. I'm loving the Stephanie/Melanie tension. It's so good to see Stephanie doing more then playing sweetheart. The minute Melanie overheard what was going on at the end I knew what she was going to do. Even without spoilers you could tell she was eyeing a certain something Stephanie left behind when she went in the office. Nice brotherly scenes with Bo, Roman, and Max.

One other point about Max...I was stunned he still had the shirt. I assumed Bo and Roman would at least find it hidden or in a trash or something. Why would you keep it? The only thing I can think of is he held onto it and was going to take the rap for his mother if it came to it and she was found guilty. That is plausible. Stephanie knew about it too and never pushed him to toss it. That seems like a pretty big red flag though that he isn't guilty. Guilty people don't just keep incriminating evidence like that around.

I just love the Mayor. The guy is an ass but it's so nice to see someone call Bo and Roman on their shit and the smug way he approved of their investigation, knowing full well he forced their hand and gave them no wiggle room, was just so sadistic. The actor does a good job with it IMO.

Lumi felt like just filler but it moved the story along. I did like their scenes at the end where Lucas admitted to still caring for her and Sami mentioned how she isn't sure EJ wants her. That is the problem. EJ, who I do sympathize with also but to a lesser degree, has been ping ponging these woman for too long. He's doing the same thing Sami did to him and Lucas. Neither Sami or Nicole know what is going on. That is one of the things I sort of like about the story. They should've took one of the biggest mistakes of the Spring and Summer (the lack of direction in the story) and made it into a strength. Liked the mention of Sami lying about Will again. All the Will mentions seems to really hint at his return.

Ok show. The Trent stuff is unfolding nicely and I really enjoyed Maggie/Nick. Tomorrow is very good though. There is a Zack reference and some good acting from Kristian Alfonso, Rachel Melvin, and Blake Berris.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 8 2008, 10:03 PM.

Nicole Walker

Will returns and gets involved with Melanie which will drive Sami nuts.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Oct 8 2008, 10:46 PM.

d_sand
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Oct 8 2008, 09:45 PM
Quote:

Whoa!

I just returned to this board after several hours, and WHAMMO! I had no idea I was stirring something up with my comment! Sorry! Really.

Janalh was correct...I meant no harm. (Janalh sees my posts on another board, so probably felt like she knew where I was coming from...and I guarantee you, it was not from a place of insult.) Thanks, Jana.

The reason I felt comfortable making that comment was because I saw a huge difference between the type of posts I seem to find on the nbc board and what I've seen here so far....particularly about Nicole and Ejole. It's 2 am and I should be going to bed, so I probably won't be all that eloquent (hey, just call me a "stupid Ejami fan"). I don't frequent the nbc board. I usually go there when I'm completely bored and looking for a laugh. Maybe I've just hit that board on the "wrong" days, but I seem to stumble onto some really ridiculous posts over there. I highly doubt that I've ever run across any of the posters from this board over there. Trust me. The posts I'm referring to at nbc are BAD.

So, in my (obviously) misguided way, I was actually trying to be complimentary to THIS board. I was trying to express that I was glad that I had found another "good" (i.e. insightful, thoughtful, intelligent) board on which I could participate. I hope I wasn't wrong. Maybe I felt too comfortable too quickly.

Having said that, I have to say....I don't understand why anyone here would assume that I was being insulting here. I guess I should have lurked a bit more before posting, so I could have better gauged the temperature on this board.

I'm taking the long way around to say that I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

mesagirl
Oct 8 2008, 08:35 PM
ladyofthelake
Oct 8 2008, 07:27 PM
d_sand
Oct 8 2008, 05:53 PM
Nicole Dimera
Oct 7 2008, 10:06 PM
This is what i've been observing on some boards. You have some people that hate Nicole because she got involved with EJ. Some of them don't want NIcole to walk away from this in a good light. They want her to become a psycho or be desperate so they can have something to trash about her since she hasn't done anything really bad since her return. Some say they don't like how Nicole is written now and that she's not the same Nicole and I agree. That's why I like her evolving. Do you remember the Brady/Chloe thing? She was written horribly and she was actually written very weak. This time around is refreshing instead of doing what she did before, she's handling this situation differently as well as her pregnancy and I think this is shocking some people who were hoping she'd be this nasty manipulative person who uses her pregnancy to snag EJ. So far that's not happening and I don't think it will with the way she's being written. Her perspective on life is becoming different as you can tell from her conversations with John. Right now it just shows that she's learning from her mistakes slowly but surely. She's not perfect and never will be but she's making an effort not to go down the same destructive path she did before and I hope it remains that way.

Some don't want to see her get herself together. They claim they want her to be a smartazz drunk or how she was before but at the same time they bash her for it and it's because she was with EJ. Like when Nicole called the cops she got bashed for it but the same ones claimed they wanted the old Nicole back well that was a glimpse of her, when Nicole found out she was preggers the first thing I read was that Nicole shouldn't be a mother she's a drunk, she's this, she's that yet they claim that's the Nicole they wanted back but bash her for it.

For some, as long as she is around EJ, Nicole has to be the bad guy, let's nitpick at everything to find some way to bash her. They want EJ to see her as this horrible person(he's no better) when really she's just loving EJ. She's not being nasty or mean to him or manipulating him into something he doesn't want to do. She simply have feelings for the guy and has the gall to admit it and put it out there on the line and risk being rejected. She really wanted to get it right this time and since EJ refuses to give her an honest and direct answer like a man, she left as she should. So I hope things stay the way they are as far as Nicole coming to her senses.

Then you have those that just hate Nicole period because of what she did in the past and that I can understand. Nicole did some nasty things in her past that some people can't forgive her for and I can't say that they should just forget it just like I can't get over what EJ did to Sami inorder to support EJami.
First of all, let me say that I am an Ejami fan.

Next....I just want to say that you are the first poster I have read (okay, folks, I'm new to this board) who really likes Nicole AND makes a really good case for her character. When I read your post, I started to get it.

It helps that I do think that Ari is a very, very good actress. And it helps that I think she is attractive, and therefore, easy for me to watch.

But...I am not switching camps. I can just better understand, based on your post, how some fans view Nicole. I really can't stand to read the Ejole posts at the nbc board. Ari/Nicole's fans there seem so, um, young. And so, um, stupid. Your post was intelligent and I got it.

I think the problem for Ejami fans is that to us, Ejami is just so incredibly special, and we've been tortured for so incredibly long, that ANYTHING or ANY character that gets in the way of EJami is going to piss us off. I believe a lot of us Ejami fans relate to Sami. At least I know that I do. I relate to Sami as being a good soul, but a seriously flawed character. I relate to her as being her own worst enemy, so often unable to get out of her own way in her attempts at getting what she wants. So I, and others like me, are protective of Sami.

And EJ is HERS, dammit. :frustration:

I will admit, for me, it's sport to bash Nicole. Even though I like Ari...and actually like the character of Nicole. I guess, like EJ, for me it's....complicated.
:$
Welcome!

I'm a Nicole fan, 48 years old, with two college degrees and a third one on the way. But, of course, I don't post at NBC. :D
I will, however, agree with you about Nicole Dimera! I love her posts about Nicole.

But, if you REALLY look at it, there are posters in several fanbases that seem young OR stupid. Young and stupid don't go hand in hand.
Ladyofthelake, I just wanted to say I like you more and more with every post I read of yours. This comes from a 45 yo, college graduate, EJole fan. :laugh:
With age comes wisdom. :P ;)
We gotta cyberconnect sometime. Latter day baby boomer/early Gen X commiseration. LOL

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

d_sand
Oct 9 2008, 02:49 AM
Nicole Dimera
Quote:

Whoa!

I just returned to this board after several hours, and WHAMMO! I had no idea I was stirring something up with my comment! Sorry! Really.

Janalh was correct...I meant no harm. (Janalh sees my posts on another board, so probably felt like she knew where I was coming from...and I guarantee you, it was not from a place of insult.) Thanks, Jana.

The reason I felt comfortable making that comment was because I saw a huge difference between the type of posts I seem to find on the nbc board and what I've seen here so far....particularly about Nicole and Ejole. It's 2 am and I should be going to bed, so I probably won't be all that eloquent (hey, just call me a "stupid Ejami fan"). I don't frequent the nbc board. I usually go there when I'm completely bored and looking for a laugh. Maybe I've just hit that board on the "wrong" days, but I seem to stumble onto some really ridiculous posts over there. I highly doubt that I've ever run across any of the posters from this board over there. Trust me. The posts I'm referring to at nbc are BAD.

So, in my (obviously) misguided way, I was actually trying to be complimentary to THIS board. I was trying to express that I was glad that I had found another "good" (i.e. insightful, thoughtful, intelligent) board on which I could participate. I hope I wasn't wrong. Maybe I felt too comfortable too quickly.

Having said that, I have to say....I don't understand why anyone here would assume that I was being insulting here. I guess I should have lurked a bit more before posting, so I could have better gauged the temperature on this board.

I'm taking the long way around to say that I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention.
it's all good. Tones in posting, like in e-mails, are easily misconstrued. :)

Nicole Walker

d_sand, it's all good. Thanks for replying.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

We have a real good caliber of posters here that all enjoy (well, most of us, most of the time!) Days and discussing/debating it. We are free to bash actors, characters, writers, story lines etc., but we don't bash each other. Like I said in an earlier post, welcome d_sand and keep posting. Oh, yeah, I am a 65 year old original viewer, mother of 4, grandmother of 5!

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

d_sand
Oct 9 2008, 02:49 AM
Nicole Dimera
Quote:

Whoa!

No prob, dsand!! ;) I knew you didn't mean anything disrespectful!! Hang in there, this is a great board, with a lot of different viewpoints. You've made your point correctly, and I think everythings cool now!! Keep posting!! :wave:

darraholic
Member Avatar

Loved the ending today with Abe/Lexie.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

darraholic
Oct 10 2008, 12:56 AM
Loved the ending today with Abe/Lexie.
Me too and I think RJ is one of daytimes best criers and from the previews it looks like RJ hits it out of the park once again.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I only caught the end of the show, but the Theo cliffhanger was great...Looking forward to friday's show..And i'm so on board for a Nick, Melanie, and Chelsea triangle..That shit could be a goldmine....I want Melanie to turn Salem upside down, the girl could really be the next Sami...

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I really enjoyed today.

The babysitter is not a bad actress so I look forward to her involvement. Loved the stuff with the mayor and how he taunted Abe, especially with bringing up Theo's autism. I really like this mayor story and Abe running for mayor. The two guys helping him are even good actors. The cliffhanger was very good too. RJ nailed it and let me just say that after watching tomorrow's already RJ and JR are both amazing. I know someone who has a child with autism and it is common for this to happen and it is common for the child to look for someone familiar while with someone he or she doesn't know or like. Plus, the babysitter wasn't giving him any attention so I can understand it. The scenes tomorrow play out very well.

I so agree about Chelsea/Nick/Melanie. The chemistry on both sides is off the charts and, as I said yesterday, I understand why they had Nick get the DUI. It showed that Nick still isn't over Chelsea and it also kind of played up Nick's possible involvement in Trent's murder. I really enjoyed Hope's involve today too. KA was powerful in those scenes and I liked the Zack mention as Chelsea came on. I'm glad they mention that every now and then. The Chick scene was good and great use of flashbacks when Chelsea asked Nick about his hand and Melanie overheard, recalling he told a different story when she asked about. The awkwardness when Melanie made her presence known was just perfect. I hope the show sticks with a Chelsea/Nick/Melanie triangle. It has so much potential.

Enjoyed the Bo/Hope scenes and Bo/Melanie, i really loved the theme in the Bo/Melanie scene. Never heard that background theme before. Nice seeing Caroline and, as I said yesterday, even without spoilers it was easy to see what Melanie would do based off that last scene yesterday. I just love her being devious and stirring out trouble for Stax. Wat to make her well-liked LOL. I love that Stax has some conflict now and I really like how this Trent thing is progressing.

I really enjoy the Nicole/Philip friendship too. Loved hearing Nicole mention Pookie's playmate and it's always funny hearing her phone bark LOL. At first, I wondered how Nicole knew Trent's wallet was gone but I'm sure that was mentioned in the news that Trent was found dead with his wallet missing. It's clear Philip was going to tell Bo about the wallet lead but seeing Melanie stopped him. He figured out it had to be her and since he was with her when she dropped her purse last week, he probably saw it or glanced at it or something. That really was a poor cover on Philip's part. He would've been better off saying he made mistake instead of the money donation idea. Bo and Hope aren't stupid. I guess it sets up some suspicions though.

Not bad today. Good movement in stories and very enjoyable. Tomorrow is a very good Friday episode though. It has a decent cliffhanger and the Lexie/Abe stuff is just fantastic.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I (obviously) agree about the Melanie/Nick/Chelsea triangle. It was really a great moment when we watched Nick leave Chelsea on the bench after Melanie came in, the look on Chelsea's face told it all and Nick clearly is interested in Melanie (and she in him). Blake has chemistry with both women and it's fun watching Nick be the center of attention for a change. I still think we should have seen the steps that led to the DUI, but I can live with it.

Also enjoyed the Date scenes with Kate leaving the hospital. I had to crack up she made sure to put on those pearls before leaving.

I also love Nicole/Philip and am not against this pairing. It would be interesting to see what would happen between EJ and Philip if they went after the same woman.

ges
Member Avatar

Fuzzy
Oct 8 2008, 06:56 PM
luvpumpkns
Oct 8 2008, 06:05 PM
d_sand
Oct 8 2008, 05:53 PM
I really can't stand to read the Ejole posts at the nbc board. Ari/Nicole's fans there seem so, um, young. And so, um, stupid. Your post was intelligent and I got it.

wha? i post over there in support of nicole all the time. i guess we don't see the same things, either that, or you find my level of discourse below you. in that case, we will have to agree to disagree.

i agree with the person that you quoted that some will hate nicole no matter what she does. when she first came on, all i heard from the ejami camp is that nicole was going to whirl into town, trick ej and hurt sami in some horrible way. that hasn't happened. as soon as her character begin to take on maturity and responsiblity, she's blasted for not being in character, when really, the ejami fans were waiting with bated breath for her to revert to her old self--so they could roundly bash her for it. so you see, no matter what nicole does, the ejami fans will hate her. i understand part of that is being protective of sami, and that is fine. but a lot of ejole fans, such as myself, are just plain ej fans, and we're sick of the way sami treats him. so as much as you want to defend her and relate to her, i, in turn, despise her and love nothing better than persecuting her for her BS.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I've hated Nicole for a really long time. Since she married Lucas and helped him get custody of Will to be precise. I hated the way she treated Will after that. But when she evicted Greta from her apartment for sheer spite--I think it's the most I've ever hated a character on a soap. Greta never did anything to Nicole except lose Eric to her.

That said, it's a soap. And I could forgive Nicole if she took responsibility for her actions. If she actually cared about the effect she'd had on other people's lives. That's the way they used to write redemption stories. I realize that Taylor and Greta are off the show. But I haven't seen her apologize to Lucas, Sami, Victor, Philip, Marlena, or any of the other people she hurt when she was being evil. I realize that a lot of these people hurt her too. And with Victor at least, she's as much sinned against as sinning. But what about Chloe? She never apologized. And now they're best friends? That's not redemption. That's white washing. And it drives me nuts.
I agree with this post. She had the gall to put Sammi down a couple of times by saying, "Do you know how many people she has blackmailed in this town?, etc. Hello. Open your eyes and look in the mirror. Nicole is friend and confidante to all of Salem now because Higley wants her to be. Not because it makes any sense. She sucks at showing character development. It is just there one day out of the blue. The last character that had her character develop and change in a meaningful way was Chelsea.
I believe that was before Pigley's tenure, although I could be mistaken. :hmmph:

Nicole Walker

Sami puts Nicole down and Chloe down so I could careless about what Nicole says about Sami. Nicole and Sami are hypocrites when it comes to each other always has been and always will be.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Nicole Dimera
Oct 10 2008, 10:15 AM
Sami puts Nicole down and Chloe down so I could careless about what Nicole says about Sami. Nicole and Sami are hypocrites when it comes to each other always has been and always will be.
I agree. And you can be hypocritical about your own actions but still be speaking the truth about someone else's. Sami and Nicole both have a lot in their pasts to answer for. The difference is this time around I love Nicole and I no longer can even tolerate Sami.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 10:18 AM
Nicole Dimera
Oct 10 2008, 10:15 AM
I agree. And you can be hypocritical about your own actions but still be speaking the truth about someone else's. Sami and Nicole both have a lot in their pasts to answer for. The difference is this time around I love Nicole and I no longer can even tolerate Sami.
Posted Image

Whoops! ADjusted for the new rules.
I LOVE this post! There's a lot of hypocrisy to go around in Salem.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Oct 11 2008, 09:22 AM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Okay. About today's show.
I must say I was annoyed/frustrated/confused about the Sami conversation with her parents. WTF! Did they get anything out of it? She said she was in big trouble and needed their help, yet she didn't tell them anything. Why didn't they strap her down and insist after that comment! That was a whole segment of waste it seemed.

John and Nicole was cute, and glad she finally came clean! Can't wait to see the EJ reaction.

Lexie and Abe did great today...and all I could think of watching RJ is "that woman is almost 50?!?!?" Great crier! Cute that Theo went to see Chelsea and responds to her so much better.
Dan and Chelsea had a cute scene. I almost felt for them today. Dan still seems to pull off some feelings for her, but one of them needs to chill and stop making the moon eyes at each other. I feel it is over and they need to relax and stop tensing up whenever the other is in the room. Time to move on...glad Daniel does.

It was a good epi today...good little cliffhanger. So looking forward to next week.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply