Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of October 6, 2008
Topic Started: Oct 5 2008, 02:00 AM (5,207 Views)
Kyrai

Alligato
Oct 10 2008, 08:11 PM
Okay. About today's show.
I must say I was annoyed/frustrated/confused about the Sami conversation with her parents. WTF! Did they get anything out of it? She said she was in big trouble and needed their help, yet she didn't tell them anything. Why didn't they strap her down and insist after that comment! That was a whole segment of waste it seemed.
What WAS the point of the Sami/Roman/Marlena scene? I couldn't think of any except maybe having Marlena/Roman start up now that she's divorcing John. Now that I'm thinking of appearances per actor increasing guarantees, all I could think was, save Marlena for good scenes. The scene didn't even make any sense. Sami says all that, then runs off. Total wtf moment.

Did like the ep overall though. Excellent EJ talk with John. Loved it. I wish I understood where they are going with this though. Seems like they are having John not see a doctor just to drag it out. I hope there's a real reason for all this. I do like how John's thinking so much about feelings and emotions, or lack thereof, but see a doctor!!! Him giving up and just letting himself wind down is disappointing. Enjoyed the John/Nicole/Ej scenes and looking forward to Ej's reaction Monday, kinda dreading Sami's. Liked Kate, Dan, Abe, Lexie, still not crazy about Chelsea, but like her with Theo. He's a cute little guy.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I am so impressed with how well Nicole/Ari works with a variety of actors/characters. I've liked Nicole since I first saw her during the whole Stan/Chloe with bacon strip face years, although I thought her character was maybe a little too much. I rooted for Nicole and Brady. I LOVED the Laverne and Shirley-style frenemy antics with Ari and Allison and wish they could bring that back. (One of the few things I think JER did right).
But, this go around has shown new depth to her acting. I don't know if it was always there, if she got more training while she was away, or what. If she was of the "right family" in Salem, she'd definitely be leading lady material. As it is, she is, but heaven forbid if Nicole Walker is anything but. :huh: My word. There is SO much that can be tapped into Nicole's past that would make for awesome soap. In the hands of a good writer. What a waste.
And that is where I would root for Ari to go for a successful stint in primetime. If they can't get away from the "You have to be a Horton or Brady or Dimera to be a lead character on Days" and utilize this talent, they deserve that.

Alligato
Member Avatar

lady - I read that since Ari left Days, she took some improv and acting classes which she says really helps her since there is very little rehearsals on the soap. You can tell she has improved since her last stint because I really didn't think she was that good last time.
Did love her back and forth with Sami though back in the day. Too bad they are so hostile nowadays.

Drake also did some acting classes while he was off and I think it really helped him develop NuJohn.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 7 2008, 12:02 AM
I can see why you have an issue with it but I guess maybe it's because I view the Dimera organization as somewhat legit. They do have a shipping line that is in use. John was conducting that business and at war with Philip so that legitimizes it in my view. Like Victor, things are legit on the surface but underground they are not. They are both heads of crime organizations and it's the crime and underground angle that makes them not legit but they also conduct legitimate business too, like the shipping aspect. I mean, it has to be legit or how else could there even be a battle for it and why else would EJ be pursuing legal paths to solve the problem? In Stefano's will (and I even think this goes back to 2002, not sure), it even made the business come off as legit in the sense that it does business above ground too. The Dimera organization, in my mind, has always had both a legit and not so legit side, much like Kiriakis, and that goes back to the inception of both families in the 80's. I've definitely seen enough in the past 20 years to suggest that to be the case.
Exactly :hail:

daisysmommy

madelinehawaii
Oct 5 2008, 08:35 PM
ladyofthelake
Oct 5 2008, 08:23 PM
madelinehawaii
Oct 5 2008, 08:06 PM
Ellie
Oct 5 2008, 07:45 PM
madelinehawaii
Oct 5 2008, 07:24 PM
this is probably in large part the reason I got tired of John with Marlena...the idea that it was inevitable and no one or thing, even the devil could keep them apart. I didn't find that romantic (which I'm sure is simply my own flaw lol) but over time that connection thing has stagnated into something extremely predictable. I realize love is to some degree a mystery...why we fall for one person and not another and what keeps us together, but one's personality and past still have something to do with that and the idea that two people can't fall out of love or lose their connection seems to me rather like suggesting that people don't die. Loss is as much a part of life as love and the latter wouldn't mean much without the possibility of the former.
Oh, I'm not saying that any two people can't fall out of love. I'm saying that John and Marlena wouldn't fall out of love. And if that sounds silly... it's a soap, and they're fictional characters. I understand you don't like that aspect of their relationship, and that's certainly your prerogative, but I would venture to say that many (most?) of the viewers who have liked them over the years have appreciated them in part because of that aspect. So while you find it predictable, many expect it to be the driving force behind their stories. And when it isn't, those viewers who do like it are left feeling alienated, because characters they enjoy watching are behaving out of character, and a relationship they've appreciated for over 20 years now seems as though it had been built on quicksand.
even fictional characters need to be able to lose, or the audience is not going to care about them. If the deck is already stacked in their favor, what is the point?
That's so true. Where's the angst and the suspense?
exactly...which is why, for me at least, most of the J/M stories of the last few years have rung hollow. Their reunion is always a forgone conclusion and if that is going to be the case, fine, but the show needs to stop putting the characters in a position like that and come up with something else for them to do.
I'm for no joke on this--
YES-- the whole story-- 20 f''ing plus yrs of it-- is built on the otherworldly connection.

YES-- the suspense is always articifical cuz we all know, they be J&M.

YES-- The divorce makes...no...sense...zero...given the history of the characters, much less their emotions for each other.

YES-- WRITE A FREAKING STORY. I DON'T CARE WHICH STORY. THERE ARE ONLY TWO KEY PARAMETERS: unconditional love and smooching. Other than that, I'll just take the ride.

The story pisses me off because its not doing anything but alienating me. It's not drawing eyes, engaging a younger demo [I was 10 when I got into them, so generations need to have some regression analyses done on them, eh?] or accomplishing any goal except making me wanna hurl. Java? HURL!!!!!!!!!!! I hate the DOOLers in control so much because of that I almost want the show to end!

How hard is it to believe multi-generational eyeballs like Romeo and Juliet without the last scene?

Stupid, Burbank, bumble-fucks.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Alligato
Oct 11 2008, 10:22 AM
lady - I read that since Ari left Days, she took some improv and acting classes which she says really helps her since there is very little rehearsals on the soap. You can tell she has improved since her last stint because I really didn't think she was that good last time.
Did love her back and forth with Sami though back in the day. Too bad they are so hostile nowadays.

Drake also did some acting classes while he was off and I think it really helped him develop NuJohn.
Ari was horrible when she joined in 1998 but somehow she was sparked after Nicole married Lucas and got tossed in with Kate and Victor. From that point on, she just got better and better as an actress. The only time she lost it a bit was during the Bricole romance under JER. She lacked her spark but she has it now and they are allowing her to play many sides to the character, which allows her to show versatility in her acting.

I know Drake took classes but I think what is really helping is the fact that he's interested and is getting to basically play a new character. He's being allowed to be creative and anytime an actor gets something new and fresh, they really seem to have a renewed energy and seem to do well.

Nicole Walker

Drakes facial expressions are hilarious. LOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply