Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: A little new scoopage!
Topic Started: Oct 6 2008, 12:39 PM (12,276 Views)
Nicole Walker

I thought most of the cast hated JER during his second run.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Oct 8 2008, 10:31 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Nicole Dimera
Oct 8 2008, 10:30 PM
I thought most of the cast hated JER during his second run.
They did.

There were other issues too. Corday interference (which lead to JER deviating from his original plan), Corday/JER conflict, JER handling two shows and burning out, fans not being as patient and willing to watch long, drawn out stories, etc).

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

It's true, back in the day (before Al invented the internet ;)) The only spoilers you got were from the mags. You had to watch everyday to know if your favs were going to be on. I can remember watching just hoping for my favs everyday and by the time you realized they weren't going to be on, you were pretty much half way thru the show.

Stories could go longer then, we (the audience) were willing to wait for the payoff. Nowadays, we get everything NOW, so we want our payoffs NOW also. The writers have to be quick and move from one story to the next in order to keep the audience interested.

Also, with the internet, we can get spoilers almost daily and we know when our favs are going to be on and when their not....so therefore we can skip what we really aren't interested in.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

OBK, if you see this, I pm'd you. :)

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I'll answer it here:

I'm not sure!

And I see the spoilers for Wednesday are up. The scenes should be coming; I may have screwed up the timeline a little. It's really hard to figure out.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

JANALH
Oct 8 2008, 11:14 PM
It's true, back in the day (before Al invented the internet ;)) The only spoilers you got were from the mags. You had to watch everyday to know if your favs were going to be on. I can remember watching just hoping for my favs everyday and by the time you realized they weren't going to be on, you were pretty much half way thru the show.

Stories could go longer then, we (the audience) were willing to wait for the payoff. Nowadays, we get everything NOW, so we want our payoffs NOW also. The writers have to be quick and move from one story to the next in order to keep the audience interested.

Also, with the internet, we can get spoilers almost daily and we know when our favs are going to be on and when their not....so therefore we can skip what we really aren't interested in.
Exactly and it's hurt all shows.

Not only that but the current spoiler situation allows fans to make a judgment before something actually happens. That hurts because many fans already have the mindset that something sucks going into the story, event, scene, or whatever and that makes it hard to change their mind, if it's possible to change their mind at all. At the very least it makes it hard to keep an open mind and makes it hard to enjoy something if the fan already feels it's horrible.

Before there was never enough detail to do that. Now most spoilers are so detailed that fans don't have to watch or can get a good enough read of something to condemn it on the spot and that is sad because things can play out better onscreen. Those preconceived notions are on the mind of the fans so that when they watch they've pretty much already decided and that is not a good thing.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 8 2008, 11:33 PM
JANALH

Not only that but the current spoiler situation allows fans to make a judgment before something actually happens. That hurts because many fans already have the mindset that something sucks going into the story, event, scene, or whatever and that makes it hard to change their mind, if it's possible to change their mind at all. At the very least it makes it hard to keep an open mind and makes it hard to enjoy something if the fan already feels it's horrible.

Before there was never enough detail to do that. Now most spoilers are so detailed that fans don't have to watch or can get a good enough read of something to condemn it on the spot and that is sad because things can play out better onscreen. Those preconceived notions are on the mind of the fans so that when they watch they've pretty much already decided and that is not a good thing.
I have SO been guilty of that!! I'll read a spoiler that I think sounds boring or not what I'd like and decide not to watch, only to find out later that it played out completely different than what I'd imagined.

If I was a stronger person, I would go spoiler free.

Alas, I'm not.........I'm weak, very weak!!!! :wave:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

JANALH
Oct 8 2008, 11:38 PM
PhoenixRising05
JANALH

I have SO been guilty of that!! I'll read a spoiler that I think sounds boring or not what I'd like and decide not to watch, only to find out later that it played out completely different than what I'd imagined.

We all do it.

I guess I'm a rare breed because no matter what the show spoilers never seem to spoil anything for me. My mindset is never changed nor does knowing something hurt the show in anyway. Not everyone is like that though and that's fine. It's just one of those things hurting all the shows and I can't really blame fans for reading them. They are out there and hard to resist. The best thing to do is for the shows to limit the spoilers they give out. That would help immensely and, the less spoilers that are out there, the less there is for people to read.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 8 2008, 11:44 PM
JANALH
PhoenixRising05
JANALH

We all do it.

I guess I'm a rare breed because no matter what the show spoilers never seem to spoil anything for me. My mindset is never changed nor does knowing something hurt the show in anyway. Not everyone is like that though and that's fine. It's just one of those things hurting all the shows and I can't really blame fans for reading them. They are out there and hard to resist. The best thing to do is for the shows to limit the spoilers they give out. That would help immensely and, the less spoilers that are out there, the less there is for people to read.
I have to say, you always seem to have a balanced look at the show. Which is more than I can say for alot of us!! :D I appreciate that, and it helps to see some things in print, to help you have a better perspective of the show as a whole!!

Thanks for keeping it real!! :wave:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Thanks. I'm just honest and speak my mind. Everyone is different and that is what is so great. It allows for passionate debate and discussion. That is why I can't fault anyone for their view or opinion, even if I do disagree with it. I appreciate it because it provides more to talk about then all of us simply agreeing or behaving the same way.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Tim, as you know, I am with you on watching the show, no matter what the spoilers indicate what will happen. I have been watching for so long that I have lived through anything and everything that could, has and shouldn't have happened! And I am still here. There are a lot of thing that I haven't cared for over the years, but Days is such a part of my life that I can't imagine not watching just because my fav or couple isn't on or in a story I like. Believe me, if I didn't stop watching when Steve "died," and they hooked Kayla up with Shane, I never will. We live in a fast food society that wants instant gratification and alas, that mentality has moved into soaps, among other things. I know some viewers/posters only want to see their favs and that is their right as it is mine to watch regardless. Yay for all points of view.
Edited by ArizonaDaze, Oct 9 2008, 11:53 AM.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
Oct 9 2008, 10:48 AM
Believe me, if I didn't stop watching when Steve "died," and they hooked Kayle up with Shane, I never will.
OMG Arizona!! That was the ick heard round the world!!! :puke:And, I kept watching as well.

Sorry to say I haven't been as faithful as you over the years, but I always seem to come back. I did keep up enough to know what was going on, but wasn't a daily watcher.

Things are so different now on soaps than they were back in those days. At least for me they are. I was SOOO invested in Days at that point in time.........I balled my eyes out when Steve died, FOR DAYS!!! :frown: I'm just not sure that I would be that tore up nowadays.

But I will say, I've always had my favs the ones that got to me, and I still do. But then, I pretty much felt something for everyone on the show, now not so much. Not sure who's to blame there, maybe its me or maybe its them, or maybe its a little of both! :shrug:
Edited by SoapGal1, Oct 9 2008, 11:06 AM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

JANALH
Oct 9 2008, 11:06 AM
ArizonaDaze
Believe me, if I didn't stop watching when Steve "died," and they hooked Kayle up with Shane, I never will.
OMG Arizona!! That was the ick heard round the world!!! :puke:And, I kept watching as well.

Sorry to say I haven't been as faithful as you over the years, but I always seem to come back. I did keep up enough to know what was going on, but wasn't a daily watcher.

Things are so different now on soaps than they were back in those days. At least for me they are. I was SOOO invested in Days at that point in time.........I balled my eyes out when Steve died, FOR DAYS!!! :frown: I'm just not sure that I would be that tore up nowadays.

But I will say, I've always had my favs the ones that got to me, and I still do. But then, I pretty much felt something for everyone on the show, now not so much. Not sure who's to blame there, maybe its me or maybe its them, or maybe its a little of both! :shrug:
Oh yea. Hated those days. What was really bad was the fact they couldn't even freaking wait until Steve's funeral was past w/o laying groundwork with Shane and Kayla. I was disgusted when I saw what the show was doing.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

JANALH
Oct 9 2008, 11:06 AM
ArizonaDaze

Right on, Jana. And you too Tripp.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

OBK, you and your source, still batting 1000!! ;)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Oct 8 2008, 11:44 PM
JANALH
PhoenixRising05
JANALH

We all do it.

Tim, I think you've just learned from experience that the spoilers never end up coming close to the real thing. Too many variables. I've learned to do the same thing. Use 'em as a guide, but judge the real thing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply