Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interview: Sami still excites her; Alison Sweeney
Topic Started: Oct 6 2008, 01:59 PM (960 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

By CINDY ELAVSKY
10/5/2008

Posted Image
‘I love playing Sami’
Alison Sweeney still gets a charge out of her longtime soap role.

Even those who don’t watch “Days of Our Lives” know who Sami Brady is. When Alison Sweeney came onto the scene in 1993 as Roman and Marlena’s scheming, spoiled daughter, she made her mark and never looked back. Sami has lied, schemed and plotted to get what she wants.

“I love playing Sami,” Alison tells me. “It still excites me. She’s different every day. Every day I get a script, and it’s a brand-new challenge.”

These days, Sami has children of her own to think about – a fact that is not lost on Alison. “I enjoy how she has developed. It’s fun and interesting to go through these changes – parenthood and adult relationships – that’s part of what makes it so fun and challenging.”

Another challenge, for Sami at least, is trying to hold on to a man. She has been bouncing between Lucas and EJ for a while, and now it appears that both have moved on.

“She’s had two men fighting over her for so long, and now there are none. She is definitely wondering what happened with that.

“With Lucas, she found a real, adult, mature relationship. Then EJ came along, and he manipulated Sami like she did with Austin.”

While it might seem that Sami is making the same mistakes she always has,
Alison can see that with each mistake, Sami is learning and growing. Maybe someday, Sami can channel that into something more productive.

“As an actress, it’s fun for me to be along for the ride,” Alison says.

“But I would love to see Sami get involved with a career of some kind. I’ve always felt that she’s been underestimated. If we could get her focused on her career, that would be a good way to vent her emotions and energies.”

Alison has no problem finding productive ways to use her extra time and energy. She is involved in many charitable organizations, her most recent being Thermos’ newest campaign, Hydration for All.

“They asked me to help spread the word when they were launching their Web site, hydrationforall.com. They’ve asked me to talk about how important proper hydration is for families. It seems obvious that people should know that, but many people really don’t.

“We are especially encouraging kids, too. Thermos has some cool containers kids can use, which is helping the environment as well, since disposable bottles are filling our landfills. We are educating kids and making conservation fun.”

Aside from her family, Alison has seen firsthand that people need education about proper hydration.

As the host of NBC’s “The Biggest Loser,” she sees that “people don’t have the information. Many don’t know the basic rules of nutrition. It all starts with drinking more water and less soda and sugary drinks. People don’t drink enough water.”

“In ‘The Biggest Loser,’ we try to help people get healthy and get active. With this program, we need parents to get their kids outside and play and be active.”

At hydrationforall.com you will find helpful tips, products and programs for helping to make you and your family healthier and more active.

Tulsa World
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I find Sami to be incredibly boring and repetitious these days.

What happened to smart bitch Sami? The Sami who didn't sit back and whine 24/7, but instead took matters into her own hands to make her own happiness? Is she gone forever? I'm sick of this watered down, wishy-washy version.

I'm so sick of watching her circular plights.

That said, I really can't imagine Days without her. She's become an icon, IMO. She was the soap bitch of the 90's!

Days4Life

Oddly enough considering the fact that I generally dislike the character of Lucas, I'm finding the recent Sami/Lucas scenes very enjoyable and hope that means we're going to see a return of the old Sami, before the last few years ruined her. Maybe the return of her sidekick and fellow schemer will bring out the bitch in Sami once again! Lucas has done a 180--the screaming, demeaning, pompous Lucas seems to have gone away--so if they can "fix" him, they can "fix" Sami, too!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Oct 6 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm finding the recent Sami/Lucas scenes very enjoyable...
That's the thing. There are many times that Sami has great scenes, but why is she never written properly on a continued basis? Why does she have decent scenes, but never decent stories? With every Sami story, it just feels like "been there, done that... did it better the first time."

Everything involving Sami is just tired. From her female rivalries to her relationship issues to everything in between, she just feels played out. They need to take her in a fresh direction while keeping the TRUE core of Sami intact.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Oct 6 2008, 03:11 PM
Days4Life
That's the thing. There are many times that Sami has great scenes, but why is she never written properly on a continued basis? Why does she have decent scenes, but never decent stories? With every Sami story, it just feels like "been there, done that... did it better the first time."

Everything involving Sami is just tired. From her female rivalries to her relationship issues to everything in between, she just feels played out. They need to take her in a fresh direction while keeping the TRUE core of Sami intact.
Great way to put it.

Sure, she is being written much better of late but, once again, she is keeping a secret. Granted, the story is playing ok so far and the fact that Lumi are kind partners in crime again and keeping a secret is nice but I still want a fresh direction. I agree that something career driven would bed ideal. It's such a shame they went with the pregnancy because they finally had her going where I wanted. She was going to be on her own, raising her kids, and getting a job. She was starting fresh without a man. Now, she's pregnant and we're back to square one. Your right in that it's been there, done that. That is the problem Days and so many other shows face. Not much can be done that hasn't been seen unless we start dabbling in the supernatural again or something.

Even though I don't necessarily want another man tossed at her, part of the reason I keep hoping Galen is coming on for Sami is because it's something fresh and new. Anything to deviate from the status quo.

This is an ok interview. Not much here but interesting nonetheless.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kenny
Oct 6 2008, 03:11 PM
Days4Life

:hail: :hail:

Nicole Walker

I agree with Kenny, that's also how I feel about Sami. That's why I hope they take Nicole in a new direction and give me something different for once. I'm tired of seeing the same thing with the same characters. Let them grow up but still keep their edge.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Oct 7 2008, 09:50 AM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

At least someone (AS) is still excited about Sami.
Sami has been the most irrational, self centered mess of a woman for the past few years. It has been sad to watch her crumble the way she has.

The pregnancy was a bad move, imo, because she was going in the right direction with her career and being independent and back to "in control" Sami.

I agree with Kenny. This supposed set up to rival Sami and Nicole has been done to death. Everything she has done has been played out.
She NEEDED a new start, even a few weeks off, but no. AS got her way, regardless of her character.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

^ I agree with you Alli

Nicole Walker

The pregnancy is not neccessary, she couldn't even give a good reason for it being written other than it being more convenient for the camera crew. WOW that's a good reason to write in a pregnancy. I'm sorry but I think Sami was on the right track wanting to get a job and move out of that hail hole.

soapfan
Member Avatar

I agree. I don't think it was necessary for Sami to be pregnant just because Ali is. She is not the first actress to ever get pregnant by surprise so they could have found a way to hide Ali's pregnancy.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply