Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Rachel Melvin blog 10/6
Topic Started: Oct 6 2008, 06:48 PM (3,568 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Monday, October 6, 2008
"Politics" is like OZ- it's always behind some curtain
Well, it's been a while since my last blog and while I wish I had a great excuse as to why I've been slacking, I must admit that I'm coming up empty handed. There's not a lot of interesting things to report in my life currently. Work is a little slower than I'd like, but as I always tell you all, "everything happens for a reason," and so I am hopeful and entrusting that this temporary drought is going to lead up to something big.

In the meantime, I am typing to you live this evening (or should I say early morning), from my new laptop that I purchased from Costco. While I must admit I HATE Costco on the weekends, it's a beautiful haven during the week, and I am quite satisfied with the purchase! :) With the amount of free time I am encountering, I figured it best to put it to use by doing other artistic endeavors I've otherwise had to postpone. One of my biggest being writing a book. So far, I've got thirty pages down, and I'm sure well over two hundred to go. While I've never been one to progress from barely five pages, I'm feeling pretty confident about the longevity of this particular story. While I wish I could divulge, I feel it necessary to wait until further progression...if not for nothing more than jixing myself.

I'm also enjoying living vicariously through some of my favorite characters that have just returned to my living room. Grey's is finally back, Gossip Girl, Desperate Housewives- those are among my favorite. It does sadden me however, that Weeds had its finale. I know this was almost three weeks ago, but it still pains me to think about. A whole 'nother year to go without Mary Louise Parker?! For those of you who don't know, she is one of my favorite actresses, and I must give Blake Berris the credit for bringing her into my life. He's totally at fault for my addiction to her and the show. Anne Hathaway is climbing up on my admiration list as well. I don't know who watches SNL, but she hosted last night and I found her quite interesting. I think anybody who can make fun of themselves for their mistakes on national television, must be a pretty cool person. It just makes them relateable, and that much more appealing.

So, since we're on the topic of SNL, and they're famous for mocking presidential candidates during the campaigns, I will use this as a segway into my topic regarding politics. (Sigh) While I know we're NEVER supposed to discuss this, rather than fear the topic at the possibility of argueing in disagreement, I'd rather learn from everyone's opinion in order to form my own more soundly. After all, isn't it better to make a decision based on the more information we have to make it with?

I have never been one to pay attention to politics, because it never seemed to be worth the headache, or big deal that everyone made it out to be. But somehow, something or someone (not sure which) pulled my attention toward all the fuss, and I found myself drawn to this beast of a topic! I watched the VP debate this past Thursday (right before I watched the Cubs choke during game two vs. the Dodgers...I later cried, but I digress...) and found myself disappointed that I had only decided to take interest and be proactive with the government and politics now. I've already missed the first Presidential debate, which is fine, but election day isn't too far off, and I feel like there's still so much I've missed or just don't know! My point in sharing this in my blog, is that I know a lot of people my age or younger, are bound to read this before an article regarding the election. Being that that may be the case, I wanted to speak to you all directly.

This is a lesson that I just learned, and while I believe I've learned it just shy of being too late, I felt it my civic duty to pass it on to you. We are the generation of the future, and people take of advantage of us because so many disregard politics thinking it doesn't concern or won't affect them. Even though politics are tricky and sneaky, they become sneakier when they know they have people not paying attention. It becomes easier for them to get away with more when and if our heads our turned. This is the reason so many actors and artists use their platforms to urge you to vote, because sadly, more of the younger generation(s) pay more attention to MTV than CNN. I was admittedly one of them. But I am telling you now, I wish I hadn't been. It is extremely important to vote and be a part of this nation's future and present. So if you haven't already registered, please DO IT NOW before it's too late. In addition, if you are already registered, I ask you one favor: please find out as much information as you can before you go to the polls with your final decision. DO NOT let your idols, celebrities, friends, or even parents, convince you to vote for someone just because they are!!! Get the facts and make your own, adult, educated, and independent decision!!

K, I'm climbing off my soap box now. The last thing I wanted to do before I wrap up, was say thank you to everyone. You are all amazing fans and you have no idea how much it means to me to know you're all in my corner. As you know, I frequent the message boards for ideas on how to improve my character or enhance things you all crave to see. Lately, my storyline has died down, (which is common for every actor on a soap-it does go in waves), but the outpour regarding the Daniel and Chelsea storyline has been overwhelming. All the fan letters, youtube videos, and small gifts and trinkets sent to the studio are amazingly appreciated and well received by both myself and Shawn Christian. We'd like to give a huge thank you to all the folks at cure my tragedy, and while I know some of you are reading this now, I ask if you could, please post a reply with an address or some form of contact where you can be reached. Shawn and I would like to extend our gratitude to you all in some way, but have been finding it difficult to retrieve the necessary information. In addition, I want to say thank you to the fans who have been saying the most kind things about myself and my acting on some posts that I have read. Your loyalty means the world and I sincerely appreciate it.

Finally, and I know I said that would be the last thing but I just remembered: DAYS is having a fan event at Universal Studio's City Walk in Universal City, CA, on November 1st. We sincerely hope you can make it, all are invited. If you'd like more information, it will be posted on my site later, or you can visit the DAYS website @ www.daysofourlives.com.

Hope you all have a great week! Until next time!

Rachel

http://rachelmelvinblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Thanks Angie!

Nicole Walker

She is such a sweetheart.

MericP
Member Avatar

She really is! That was such an easy read...she just draws you in. :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Don't get me wrong. I like Rachel. She is very talented and I like the character. She is very nice and I enjoy her blogs and hearing about her life. This was a very nice entry and I do hope she gets more story soon, although I don't mind the break since she's been frontburner alot since she came on. I also like that her character is working at the hospital and with Theo and am enjoying her interactions with Kate, Chelsea, Philip, Nick, etc.

That all being said...I'm really beginning to see a problem here. I don;t mind rallying fans or appreciating them and I guess what I'm about to say has more to do with other things then it does with her blog entry but her mention of Chan here is kind of what sparked me. Anyway, I get that Chan have fans and that is fine. However, since Chan ended, I've noticed an alarming change in Rachel's performance and it seems to derive from the fact that she doesn't care for the fact that Chan are done. Again, she has a right to her opinion but when it begins to interfere with her work, it's an issue. She's been better lately, especially today, which was her best performance in months IMO. However, since the Chan breakup in August and for a good part of September, you could almost sense bitterness in her performance and she was phoning it in big time during the breakup scenes. Plus, I've noticed in some interviews she refuses to acknowledge the prospect of other love interests, including Nick. She always refers back to Chan and, in a small SOW blurb a few weeks ago, when confronted with the fact that Nick and Chelsea were back in story together, Rachel said that they are simply friends and there can't be anything more. She felt both characters had moved beyond that. Now she has a right to think that but toss that in with her push for Chan and everything else i mentioned and it just presents an ugly picture and makes Rachel look like a sore loser, in a sense. She didn't get her way and she's trying to rally fans to her cause so that things change and go her way. She just doesn't seem to acknowledge Chick fans nor does she seem to acknowledge the point that many don't like Chan. It's like she thinks they are this universally loved couple and she clearly is frequenting the NBC boards or something because they are not that loved. She makes them out to be Bope or something.

Sure, I'm sure she sees major story promise and perhaps believes a pairing with Daniel has more legs then one with Nick or someone else. However, I disagree. Nick is a Horton and she is a Brady. Granted, it's been done to death but that has to have legs. Not only that but her relationship with Daniel was so rushed and forced and she often comes off like she enjoys it more because she gets to make out with a hot, older guy. I guess being her age it's natural but still. I don't know. Maybe it's just be but I just think there is an issue here. She hasn't blogged in awhile either until now and she is clearly not liking what is going on. Yeah she has little story right now but, as I said, it seems to be about more then that.

Ellie

I think it's interesting that she juxtaposes "don't let your idols tell you who to vote for" with her Chan support. Guess they can tell you who to root for?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Oct 6 2008, 09:31 PM
I think it's interesting that she juxtaposes "don't let your idols tell you who to vote for" with her Chan support. Guess they can tell you who to root for?
Good point. I didn't even notice that.

Kind of a double standard, huh? :laugh:

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Oct 6 2008, 09:27 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like Rachel. She is very talented and I like the character. She is very nice and I enjoy her blogs and hearing about her life. This was a very nice entry and I do hope she gets more story soon, although I don't mind the break since she's been frontburner alot since she came on. I also like that her character is working at the hospital and with Theo and am enjoying her interactions with Kate, Chelsea, Philip, Nick, etc.

That all being said...I'm really beginning to see a problem here. I don;t mind rallying fans or appreciating them and I guess what I'm about to say has more to do with other things then it does with her blog entry but her mention of Chan here is kind of what sparked me. Anyway, I get that Chan have fans and that is fine. However, since Chan ended, I've noticed an alarming change in Rachel's performance and it seems to derive from the fact that she doesn't care for the fact that Chan are done. Again, she has a right to her opinion but when it begins to interfere with her work, it's an issue. She's been better lately, especially today, which was her best performance in months IMO. However, since the Chan breakup in August and for a good part of September, you could almost sense bitterness in her performance and she was phoning it in big time during the breakup scenes. Plus, I've noticed in some interviews she refuses to acknowledge the prospect of other love interests, including Nick. She always refers back to Chan and, in a small SOW blurb a few weeks ago, when confronted with the fact that Nick and Chelsea were back in story together, Rachel said that they are simply friends and there can't be anything more. She felt both characters had moved beyond that. Now she has a right to think that but toss that in with her push for Chan and everything else i mentioned and it just presents an ugly picture and makes Rachel look like a sore loser, in a sense. She didn't get her way and she's trying to rally fans to her cause so that things change and go her way. She just doesn't seem to acknowledge Chick fans nor does she seem to acknowledge the point that many don't like Chan. It's like she thinks they are this universally loved couple and she clearly is frequenting the NBC boards or something because they are not that loved. She makes them out to be Bope or something.

Sure, I'm sure she sees major story promise and perhaps believes a pairing with Daniel has more legs then one with Nick or someone else. However, I disagree. Nick is a Horton and she is a Brady. Granted, it's been done to death but that has to have legs. Not only that but her relationship with Daniel was so rushed and forced and she often comes off like she enjoys it more because she gets to make out with a hot, older guy. I guess being her age it's natural but still. I don't know. Maybe it's just be but I just think there is an issue here. She hasn't blogged in awhile either until now and she is clearly not liking what is going on. Yeah she has little story right now but, as I said, it seems to be about more then that.
I thank you for this. I don't think she has been phoning it in like you said but there is something different in her performance. I think RM is one of the more talented actors on the set but I wonder if she might have let the Emmy nod and kudoes get to her (along with the constant propping from the Chan fans who do compare that coupling to Bope).

She certainly is welcome to her own opinion but I thought actors weren't supposed to be this vocal in their negativity. Rumors have come around that JKJ didn't like Phorgan. Well I can't say that's true because he's given no indication in PRESS INTERVIEWS that was the case and I think it shows his level of professionalism.

Of course, I probably should just outright admit that the Chick fans did send in some gift baskets earlier this year and RM barely spit out a thank you on her forum so seeing her prompt on her own thanking the chan fans for their "outpouring of support" really gets to me and makes me wonder if RM would prefer to be off the show then be put back into a relationship with Nick (because according to her it's a step down for the character, whatever).

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Ellie
Oct 6 2008, 09:31 PM
Hee, well I remember back when she was all "Yea, it's so sad about Chelsea falling out of love with Nick but let me talk about the hot doctor she would prefer to be with..." RM actually commented that OF COURSE Chelsea wanted Daniel in her life forever because he had saved her life.

hero worship = true love.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Rachel is like an ungrateful brat with her Chan support 24/7. It was Chick fans that got her ass so popular.

Nicole Walker

I don't like Chick to be honest. She probably thinks there's more story with Chan but I lost interest in them.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

thanks for posting. it seems that if she frequented message boards, she'd see how wildly unpopular chan was, but whatever...i do admit that they had some rabid fans that may have made the fanbase look larger than it was. anyway, i doubt that they will revisit that pairing, so if her heart is set on it, i hope she is able to move on and do her job regardless.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Maybe Rachel didn't watch the show and see what a horrible couple Chan really was...I'm sorry she's bummed they didn't pan out, but its time to let that drop and move onto new things..

haydeertz
Member Avatar

Thanxs so much for posting. As a curemytragedy member it means alot to us that Rachel would mention us on her blog. We really do support her storylines whatever they may be and we wish her all the best. She is so sweet and down to earth...I have yet to see that on many actors/actresses so its a refreshing change. Once again thanxs for posting. ;)

Sariah
Member Avatar

Actors in triangles need to be careful. It is a fine line to walk, and I imagine it's quite difficult to do, but they really can't afford to piss off a percentage of their fanbase by catering to the other side.

zyona

Thank you for posting, you can tell how great she is from her blogs. I think it is nice for her to acknowledge her fans. I wish her the best.

ConnieD

Thanks for posting, Rachel is such a sweetheart. Loved how she gave a shout to the fans at CMT. She is truly an incredible actress.

angelatil
Member Avatar

I thouht it was great she gave a shout out to her fan base. I am a fan of Daniel and Chelsea and I truly hope they put them back together. Rachel is just a wonderful actress and I don't think she has stepped down from her character one bit. Of course she played a little bit bitter and resentful, because that is what Chelsea is feeling at the moment finding out the two people that she loves most in the world has hurt her. Wouldn't you act that way too?? I know I would. Rachel has done nothing but give an excellent performance and I loved her performance today as well. She is getting back to her angsty character which I love. I truly do not think her storyline with Daniel is over. Rachel is just awesome!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Oct 6 2008, 09:36 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 6 2008, 09:27 PM

I thank you for this. I don't think she has been phoning it in like you said but there is something different in her performance. I think RM is one of the more talented actors on the set but I wonder if she might have let the Emmy nod and kudoes get to her (along with the constant propping from the Chan fans who do compare that coupling to Bope).

She certainly is welcome to her own opinion but I thought actors weren't supposed to be this vocal in their negativity. Rumors have come around that JKJ didn't like Phorgan. Well I can't say that's true because he's given no indication in PRESS INTERVIEWS that was the case and I think it shows his level of professionalism.

Of course, I probably should just outright admit that the Chick fans did send in some gift baskets earlier this year and RM barely spit out a thank you on her forum so seeing her prompt on her own thanking the chan fans for their "outpouring of support" really gets to me and makes me wonder if RM would prefer to be off the show then be put back into a relationship with Nick (because according to her it's a step down for the character, whatever).

Interesting point about Jay. I could see that because even in that interview that is on youtube with him and Kristen Renton you could tell she was selling the couple more then him. I wouldn't have minded if Jay decided to say something. I don't mind an actor voicing their opinion. It's just when they let their own personal likes and dislikes interfere in their work and I've seen enough from Rachel to see that happen. I mean, you can tell when an actor is phoning it in. I recall when Missy Reeves did it under JER because she hated certain things. There is no emotion behind what they are saying. It's just reading the lines and you can detect bitterness. I saw that from Rachel for a few weeks after Chan ended and I still see it every now and then. Then she tends to give it her all in scenes with Daniel. It's too obvious.

I think if an actor or actress voices their opinion in public respectfully it's fine. It's if they come out and bash other cast members or just go at it harshly (unless it's necessary...as in a writer running a show into the ground or something) that bothers me, personally. It also bothers me that she seems unwilling to acknowledge that Chan is not loved or even liked by all. She seems to just pay attention more to Chan fans and that isn't fair. She needs to recognize that there are Chick fans out there too. She also needs to acknowledge and act like she is aware that not everyone is in agreement with her that Chan is the way to go. Yes, one can get that perception reading certain boards but still. She should just ask the vets on how to deal with this. Drake, Dee, Ali, Peter, etc all have had other romances on the show and they've been known to regularly acknowledge fans of those other romances and have dealt with things accordingly. Rachel should take notes because while I do like her, she needs to tone down her Chan cheerleading.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

You know......I often wonder what Shawn Christiansen's take on all this is.......
I can't believe the slap in the face to the Chick fans.
And I agree with both of you...it's very obvious her acting is starting to run hot and cold. I wonder if the Blake mention was a token.
The girl better get her act together. In soaps, she needs to expect this is going to happen, ESPECIALLY if she is for something that doesn't seem popular with the general audience. Would this be like another alleged Allison incident: pushing for something she wants and the hell for what's good for the story? (Just an example. I don't KNOW if that's happening).
It's not as if they didn't try Chan. They tried, and although Chan has fans, by and large, it seemed to be greeted by moans and "Oh, hell, they won't go THERE, will they?" That's not a good sign.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply