Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Rachel Melvin blog 10/6
Topic Started: Oct 6 2008, 06:48 PM (3,411 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

cassie1013
Oct 10 2008, 03:04 AM
I can't understand why she would be want to be paired with an actor 20 years her senior! She's in her early 20's and he's in his 40's!!!
To be technical the actors are literally 20 years apart in age.
Quote Post Goto Top

Angela
Member Avatar

Amello
Oct 10 2008, 03:06 AM
cassie1013
I can't understand why she would be want to be paired with an actor 20 years her senior! She's in her early 20's and he's in his 40's!!!
And what does that have to do with anything...I mean seriously. I don't understand why the age thing should even be a factor.

For Rachel this is about the story. What Daniel would mean for Chelsea....what he has meant. Daniel being the older guy brings a lot of things to the relationship that are new and exciting for Chelsea. Plus Daniel and Chelsea had a connection and they got really close. This storyline has the potential to be a great love story and that's all Rachel wanted....the chance for Chelsea to experience this love story...age has nothing to do with it for Rachel or Chelsea.....what is it with the age question? And just to throw this in there Shawn is hot and a lot of fun (from people that have met him) who wouldn't want to work with someone like that?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

slyn11
Member Avatar

cassie1013
You seriously did not say that...did you?

cassie1013

Um, yes I did. If I were 23, I would be seriously uncomfortable with it. It's not necessarily about age, but it's about who can pull it off - she can't. She comes off as 19 to me. JMO.

Food for thought: Hugh Hefner's ex 'girlfriend' Kendra is 23 - if someone like her was thrown in a romance with the guy who plays Dan, I'm sure it would be much more believable! Not that I like Kendra, I just can't think of someone else who's 23 LOL.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Days4Life
Oct 8 2008, 03:55 PM
Angela
Oct 8 2008, 03:28 PM
"The last thing I wanted to do before I wrap up, was say thank you to everyone. You are all amazing fans and you have no idea how much it means to me to know you're all in my corner. "

Direct quote from Rachel on her blog. She said thank you to all her fans...used the word everyone. So she does appreciate all her fans and everything that is done for her and said on her behalf. I just wish that everyone would read everything she says and not jump to any conclusions. She takes the time to be personable and share a piece of her with all of us. You would think true Rachel fans would be grateful but instead everyone picks apart what she says. I love the fact that she blogs it is so nice to get to hear from her but honestly after this I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to blog anymore. I don't understand how someone can call themselves a fan and then go to another website and blast them. To me that just doesn't add up.
Who's blasting Rachel? Are you referring to some posters not agreeing 100% with everything she said? That's not blasting; that's discussion. Just as Rachel has a right to blog whatever she wants, we have a right to say whatever WE want. If Rachel can't handle that, she needs to stay away from the message boards altogether.

As to my point I was trying to make previously, I didn't say that Rachel doesn't appreciate all her fans. I was talking about the perception that she is favoring one fanbase because they agree with her favored storyline. I hope Rachel has a long career, and if she does there will probably be many stories she doesn't like, but she has to do her best with what she's given. She doesn't want to risk alienating the writers or any of her fans. It would be a good idea to take a look at those who have been on the show a long time and notice how they handle their fans. That's all I'm saying.

Now I'm going to go bang my head against the wall.
I'll join you. This is very reminiscent of some Chan fans, despite what was posted, INSISTING those who didn't like Chan did it ONLY for the age difference.
I just wonder how they would react if this mention had been about Chick.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Angela
Oct 9 2008, 09:37 AM
Days4Life
Oct 8 2008, 03:55 PM
Angela
Oct 8 2008, 03:28 PM
"The last thing I wanted to do before I wrap up, was say thank you to everyone. You are all amazing fans and you have no idea how much it means to me to know you're all in my corner. "

Direct quote from Rachel on her blog. She said thank you to all her fans...used the word everyone. So she does appreciate all her fans and everything that is done for her and said on her behalf. I just wish that everyone would read everything she says and not jump to any conclusions. She takes the time to be personable and share a piece of her with all of us. You would think true Rachel fans would be grateful but instead everyone picks apart what she says. I love the fact that she blogs it is so nice to get to hear from her but honestly after this I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to blog anymore. I don't understand how someone can call themselves a fan and then go to another website and blast them. To me that just doesn't add up.
Who's blasting Rachel? Are you referring to some posters not agreeing 100% with everything she said? That's not blasting; that's discussion. Just as Rachel has a right to blog whatever she wants, we have a right to say whatever WE want. If Rachel can't handle that, she needs to stay away from the message boards altogether.

As to my point I was trying to make previously, I didn't say that Rachel doesn't appreciate all her fans. I was talking about the perception that she is favoring one fanbase because they agree with her favored storyline. I hope Rachel has a long career, and if she does there will probably be many stories she doesn't like, but she has to do her best with what she's given. She doesn't want to risk alienating the writers or any of her fans. It would be a good idea to take a look at those who have been on the show a long time and notice how they handle their fans. That's all I'm saying.

Now I'm going to go bang my head against the wall.
We all have that right to say what we want...its the nice thing about fanboards, blogs, and the internet in general. We all have a right to come on here and say pretty much whatever we want. From Rachel to you to me to everyone else on this thread and board. What bothers me here is the amount of flack that Rachel is getting from one comment on one blog. She said that she wanted to thank the people at a particular website. Rachel was just reaching out to her fans...that is not uncommon. Lets take that look at some of the "more experienced" people on the show and how they handle their fans shall we. Ok who should we start with....hmm lets say Peter Reckell....when was the last time he acknowledged fans....ok how about Kristian Alfonso...can't remember her either...ok lets go with someone a little younger....how about Arianne Zucker or Nadia Bjorlin...as you can see the list goes on and on. Unless these people are specifically asked about fans they don't mention them or do anything to reach out to them. Rachel takes the time to spend a few minutes "talking" to her fans. So I would say that once again she is miles ahead of the rest of the cast she works with.

In Rachel's defense when Chick was the couple she was so new to the industry she didn't do anything like she does it now...she is a completely different person and she has learned so much. Now she does talk to the fans more and is more vocal and gives more interviews therefore she is going to say more about Dansea as it is the current storyline.

I want to say something else just so people don't think you have just a Dansea fan talking here and that I don't completely understand. I have been a Rachel fan the entire time she has been on the show there was something about her that made me love her even when Chelsea wasn't always the lovable person she is today. Back in the day I even liked Nick and Chelsea, was a hard core fan, no but I did like them. However now I see that Nick and Chelsea to eachother were that pivotal person in eachothers lives who prepared the other for what was to come next for "the one." I don't understand why it is so wrong for Rachel to see that as well and then voice her opinion on it. And lets not forget nothing gets said in the interviews they give that the show wouldn't approve of for several reasons.

Here's the other thing I don't understand about some fans...for me when I like someone I want to see them do something they enjoy doing...like if I have a fav actor I want to see them in storylines they love just because I am a fan. So being a Rachel fan first and foremost I want to see her in the storyline she wants...that would be Dansea. So if you call yourselves a Rachel fan then how can you not want what she wants for her character?

One last thing...the Jay K Johnson rumor that was mentioned in this thread....if it was rumored that he didn't like Phorgan but he never talked about it then how did it get out? I guess some psychic read his mind and started that rumor! No that means he said something to someone. All actors have things they like better than others...its part of being human. All actors are going to talk better about certain storylines than they are others...again part of being human. So don't fault Rachel for something that is completely natural is all I am asking.
I certainly don't think he publicly blogged it. If you go into reading Rachel's blogs with an impartial mind, you'll see a trend.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Angela
Oct 10 2008, 03:30 AM
Amello
cassie1013
And what does that have to do with anything...I mean seriously. I don't understand why the age thing should even be a factor.

For Rachel this is about the story. What Daniel would mean for Chelsea....what he has meant. Daniel being the older guy brings a lot of things to the relationship that are new and exciting for Chelsea. Plus Daniel and Chelsea had a connection and they got really close. This storyline has the potential to be a great love story and that's all Rachel wanted....the chance for Chelsea to experience this love story...age has nothing to do with it for Rachel or Chelsea.....what is it with the age question? And just to throw this in there Shawn is hot and a lot of fun (from people that have met him) who wouldn't want to work with someone like that?
And, for many of us, again, it IS about the story. How they were pretty well thrown together, in many estimations. How Daniel seemed to work better with other characters to many of us. How Chelsea was almost in stalking mode at some points. How Daniel was put on this Ghandi pedastal. How Rachel just SEEMS too young, which she can't help. BUT, a slightly more mature looking actress could have carried this a little bit more realistically for us.
How Chelsea continues to run pouting to Nick when things don't go her way. Like I mentioned earlier, it ain't all about the age.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cassie1013
Oct 10 2008, 05:53 AM
Um, yes I did. If I were 23, I would be seriously uncomfortable with it. It's not necessarily about age, but it's about who can pull it off - she can't. She comes off as 19 to me. JMO.

Food for thought: Hugh Hefner's ex 'girlfriend' Kendra is 23 - if someone like her was thrown in a romance with the guy who plays Dan, I'm sure it would be much more believable! Not that I like Kendra, I just can't think of someone else who's 23 LOL.
But, Cassie, this isn't the point that many of us are arguing. This feeds into Chan fan's fears that people who don't like Chan dislike it SOLELY for the age reason. And, that's not necessarily so.
And to compare Shawn Christianson to Hugh Hefner???

Days4Life

It's not the age thing for me; I'm married to a man eleven years older so obviously age doesn't matter. It's more Chelsea's maturity level, especially since Daniel was introduced as a sophisticated world traveler, tops in his field, with one marriage already behind him. I just don't understand what he saw in Chelsea, beyond her looks. If they had developed the story slowly and showed us how their relationship developed, beyond the hero worship because he saved her dad's life and then her own, more people would have accepted it. We saw nothing like that. Just boy meets girl, boy saves girl, boy and girl make out. There was nothing to make us root for them, except for the "hotness" factor.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

cassie1013
I can't help myself but to remember that blind item.... LOL

mesagirl
Member Avatar

When I was in my 20's the meer thought of dating a man in their 40's was disgusting to me. 40 yo's were old men in my mind. Of course now I am in my 40's and I realize that I am far from being an old lady lol. However, the idea of dating a 65 yo man to my 45 years, is not appealing at all to me. It's all about perspective.

I can see how just the age difference alone can give someone the heebie jeebies. And if that's their reason for not liking Chan, then so be it. It's a natural response to something that isn't all that natural. I can't stand Chan either. Part of it is the age difference. Sorry, but there just isn't going to be that much in common between a 20 yo girl and a 40 yo man. Of course there will be exceptions, but I think finding a couple with a 20 year age difference, especially one with someone that is just hitting her 20's, that can stand the test of time is going to be very few and far between.

Most 20 yo's don't have a real idea of who they are yet, not as adults. Take the 20 year age difference and apply it later in life... say 40/60, or even 30/50 and it gets a little bit better, because as you get older the commonalities between the folks 20 years your senior start to align more.

Add on top to the age difference, the fact that Chelsea is clearly not a match to Dan in maturity level, and you have a couple that just doesn't work. For me Chan doesn't work due to both things... the age difference grosses me out, and the maturity level issues just seal in their doomed fate.

Angela
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Oct 10 2008, 06:07 AM
cassie1013
Oct 10 2008, 05:53 AM

But, Cassie, this isn't the point that many of us are arguing. This feeds into Chan fan's fears that people who don't like Chan dislike it SOLELY for the age reason. And, that's not necessarily so.
And to compare Shawn Christianson to Hugh Hefner???
Shawn Christian compared to Hugh Hefner...please that is the worst comparison I have ever heard. And I take personal offense at a slam on age from anyone. And I am 24 and I have been in that relationship...with someone 20 years older than me so I see it very very very differently than all of you.

I hear what people say about the age difference and saying that it isn't the only reason they don't like Dansea and I keep trying to see what they see and why they don't like it but for me I just don't see it. People say Rachel looks young....I say well she is young she is 23 and when I see her I don't see someone that looks 19 but I guess I am alone there. When I look at her and Shawn I don't see a huge age difference. I don't see him making her look "so young."
You call it hero worship...I believe Chelsea set the record straight on that more than once for the audience sake and for Daniel. So I think they made it loud and clear that it isn't hero worship because he saved her dad. I think she is grateful to him for saving her dad and a part of her felt like what he did was important. I don't see the way she acted around him as hero worship.
The pedastal Daniel was placed on by everyone in town from Victor to Lexie to the entire Brady family was about telling a story. The writers knew where they were going with Daniel's back story so they had to set him up as a fantastic world renowned surgeon who has saved countless lives and is fantastic at what he does so that when the back story of Daniel came out the audience wouldn't hate him so quickly because they barely knew him.
As for the other point people say that it happened too quickly that it didn't have buildup. Here's the thing sometimes in life you just meet someone and you click you can't explain it but you do. And sometimes "it doesn't make sense on paper" but it just works. Here you had two people that met and had an instant connection that is very very realistic. And I hate to disappoint some of you long time soap viewers that love the year long build up to the first kiss...those days of storytelling are over. They don't do that on any show with any couple anymore. We live in an instant gratification world and people tune out things that drag on so every show daytime and primetime have picked up the pace. That form of storytelling is dead.
Last thing...I am a RACHEL fan first and foremost...I love Dansea but I love Rachel...have been a Rachel fan for much longer, so if the shout out in her blog had been to Chick fans I would have been disappointed being a Dansea fan but being the Rachel fan first I most certainly would not have gone to another message board and talked about how horrible I thought it was what she said. But I guess that's just another difference between me and all of you.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Angela
Oct 10 2008, 10:31 AM
Here's the thing sometimes in life you just meet someone and you click you can't explain it but you do.
And sometimes when I watch a soap I see a couple who just doesn't click for me and I can't explain it but they don't. That's Chelsea and Daniel for me.

And can we please all have an agreement that when we're discussing why we like or dislike Chelsea and Daniel together it has nothing to do with anyone's real-life relationship?

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Shawn is no Hugh Hefner.... lol

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 10:37 AM
Angela
Here's the thing sometimes in life you just meet someone and you click you can't explain it but you do.
And sometimes when I watch a soap I see a couple who just doesn't click for me and I can't explain it but they don't. That's Chelsea and Daniel for me.

And can we please all have an agreement that when we're discussing why we like or dislike Chelsea and Daniel together it has nothing to do with anyone's real-life relationship?
Exactly. It's like us anti chan fans doesn't have a right to speak up. lol

Angela
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Oct 10 2008, 10:39 AM
Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 10:37 AM
Angela

Exactly. It's like us anti chan fans doesn't have a right to speak up. lol
You have the right to say whatever you want...all I am saying is we all do. So Dansea fans can also speak up.

When you talk about age it is personal for a whole lot of people. All the other stuff not personal. Want to keep it from being personal don't use a reason that is personal for people.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Angela
Oct 10 2008, 10:44 AM
When you talk about age it is personal for a whole lot of people. All the other stuff not personal. Want to keep it from being personal don't use a reason that is personal for people.
Every reason can be personal for someone; I don't see why it's just age. For example, my husband has a PhD in chemistry but I don't get upset every time--or even any time--someone calls Nick a geek and feel I need to justify how women can find geeks attractive. I don't even like Nick particularly and I don't see him as being like my husband at all, but if I wanted to get offended by that I certainly could.

Mason

There are a myriad of reasons why I can't stand Chan - and the age difference is probably one of the least of them.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Angela
Oct 10 2008, 03:30 AM
Amello
cassie1013

Wow you're polite :eyeroll: I was stating the interesting FACT that they are literally 20 years apart. So sue me.
Quote Post Goto Top

cassie1013

LOL I didn't compare him to Hugh Hefner. I compared Rachel to Kendra!

either way, don't like Chan - age aside. No chemistry.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply