Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers & Previews; week of 10/20 *UPDATED 10/17*
Topic Started: Oct 7 2008, 10:01 PM (9,827 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Oct 9 2008, 05:22 PM
I think Lexie feels responsible for the mayor's death because she thinks Stefano had a hand in the mayor dying as a favor to her, to show that Abe can easily become the mayor now that the competition is out of the way. Stefano is going to desperate measures to get on Lexie's good side. However, this isn't going to get Lexie right away, seeing as how she seems to be into doing good for the moment. I do have to wonder if she'll start to realize that everything Stefano is doing for her is because he loves her and she starts accepting his ways again like she did back in the day. Lexie didn't start to accept Stefano at first. It took several steps for Stefano to gain Lexie's full trust and slowly bring her to the DiMera side. I see that happening again and this is just the first step.
I hope you're right.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Oct 10 2008, 02:57 AM
Ellie
Oct 9 2008, 11:52 PM
I hope that at least we get to see what Corday mentioned in the fall preview about John's seizures leading to Marlena's finding a way to get the old John back. Not sure how the whole 'divorce' theme we're watching now is in any way related to that.
It was already focused on the day John was at the hospital and Marlena and Kayla looked at his x-rays. Whatever this is could be deadly but it could also be a breakthrough. Stefano and Rolf know that it's deadly if they don't get to him when he short-circuits but they haven't dropped any further hints.

On tomorrow's episode, EJ mentions to John how his going to a doctor can help him find out what is wrong and perhaps find out what exactly Stefano did do so he can go back to the way he was. John doubts it though. There is a whole lot of focus on John and his feelings, or lack there of, tomorrow and it's very well-done IMO.
Thanks, but what I meant is that I hope we get to see it play out. I liked that it was hinted at in the episode with John in the hospital, but that was one show, and then... we haven't seen much since. Glad to hear it's mentioned tomorrow, and I hope that that angle of the story continues.

marisol40

Quote:

I think they were testing him with both her and Nicole (who they seem to be testing him with when she first returned in Spring too) as he's been sharing more scenes with them of late but Nadia staying will put the kibosh on all that.

It's a pity actually, because Jay and Ari have the most chemistry of the women he has been interacting with on the show. I actually could see those two paired together and it would work.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I don't think ultimately Philip and Melanie will go anywhere either, but I'm still appalled at the idea that they were testing JKJ and MB together, particularly once they established her character's age at 17. Testing JKJ and AZ is one thing, but putting Philip in a romantic situation with a teenager? It seriously worries me that they even considered that, nor does it make any sense given that Phorgan went nowhere and Chan had to be killed too.

Fuzzy

Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 10:16 AM
I don't think ultimately Philip and Melanie will go anywhere either, but I'm still appalled at the idea that they were testing JKJ and MB together, particularly once they established her character's age at 17. Testing JKJ and AZ is one thing, but putting Philip in a romantic situation with a teenager? It seriously worries me that they even considered that, nor does it make any sense given that Phorgan went nowhere and Chan had to be killed too.
Me too. I've officially given up on wanting a new character for Philip. Because the show's willing, but their ideas for a suitable partner are scary.

I don't want Philip/Nicole. I do see chemistry, but I hate Nicole. I could maybe get over that since I do see chemistry there, and I've seen the alternatives. I do think Ari is a good actress. But she was his stepmother while he was a teenager. They actually had stepmother/stepson scenes. That gives it a huge "ick" factor, at least to me.

Also, given what happened with Victor, he really should hate her. If someone tried to kill one of my parents, and I thought that parent was dead for over year, I'd hate the person responsable. He did when she first came back, but they never resolved it. She never apologized (and yes, I realize I'm the only person that matters to), and now they're BFFs.

Additionally, as a Philip fan, I want him with someone who will want him for him, and not for his money. And I'm not sure I could ever trust Nicole to do that.

So, at this point, I'm a Phloe fan unless they come up with a decent alternative, which I tend to doubt. Hopefully, the writing will make them watchable.

Kyrai

Fuzzy
Oct 10 2008, 11:11 AM
Paxton
Me too. I've officially given up on wanting a new character for Philip. Because the show's willing, but their ideas for a suitable partner are scary.

I don't want Philip/Nicole. I do see chemistry, but I hate Nicole. I could maybe get over that since I do see chemistry there, and I've seen the alternatives. I do think Ari is a good actress. But she was his stepmother while he was a teenager. They actually had stepmother/stepson scenes. That gives it a huge "ick" factor, at least to me.

Also, given what happened with Victor, he really should hate her. If someone tried to kill one of my parents, and I thought that parent was dead for over year, I'd hate the person responsable. He did when she first came back, but they never resolved it. She never apologized (and yes, I realize I'm the only person that matters to), and now they're BFFs.

Additionally, as a Philip fan, I want him with someone who will want him for him, and not for his money. And I'm not sure I could ever trust Nicole to do that.

So, at this point, I'm a Phloe fan unless they come up with a decent alternative, which I tend to doubt. Hopefully, the writing will make them watchable.
Wonderful post!

I'm also appalled at them testing Phillip and Melanie. I just don't understand why they can't find him a decent woman. I'm sure they used to test for chemistry before hiring characters vs. trying out someone after they're hired. Phelanie is high on the ick factor scale.

It matters to me also that Nicole hasn't been redeemed. I've said numerous times that having a tormented childhood/youth can explain someone's actions, but it doesn't auto-redeem them. Redemption is feeling sorry for what you've done and trying to change. I'm amazed at how many people think seducing people into marriage is worth 5 million dollars. Yes, I know Vic treated her badly, but I've always kinda felt scum who seduce old men deserve it. I say scum in the nicest of ways. I like good villains, and enjoy Nicole in that role.

That said, I have liked Nicole as a person a lot more since she found out she was pregnant. She has seemed to genuinely want the baby for itself, not as a ticket to getting EJ to marry her. She even turned down John's offer of money. It 'seems' like this pregnancy has made her reflect on her life and realize that she wants to be a better person for this child. To me it is a nice starting point of true redemption. She finally cares about something more than herself. Sadly, I'm afraid of where they might go with this if she loses the baby. Kristen is firmly implanted in my brain, and I can't get it out, but I think Nicole could be a good Kristen type.

I also remember Nicole as Phillip's stepmom, so there is a certain ick factor, but I think I could get over it IF they come to some resolution of the past. It really doesn't make sense to me that Phillip would just accept someone who tried to kill his dad several times. If they went with Phicole, I'd like to see them resolve that somehow, perhaps give her an opportunity to atone by doing something selfless that leads to Phillip being attracted to her. IF they are going to make her a 'heroine' type character, it would be nice to see genuine remorse for her past actions and her turning over a new leaf.

There are times Phloe works ok for me, others, not so much. It may get better as time goes on, but I still always wish they could find a really good match for him. Ari is a much better actress than Nadia imo, so I'd hate to write Nicole out, but I'd want things resolved alot more than they are. That never seems to happen with this writing team though. We're just presented with a change as a fact, and don't get to see real growth. I think that's a shame.

Paxton
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Oct 10 2008, 11:43 AM
I'd want things resolved alot more than they are. That never seems to happen with this writing team though. We're just presented with a change as a fact, and don't get to see real growth. I think that's a shame.

Very well put. The "redemption" of St. EJ springs to mind. I'm still waiting on his apologies to everyone he tried to kill. I also didn't hear him apologizing to Sami for torturing her by making her think he had poisoned her and her unborn babies; I guess they didn't have time to fit that in to the five minute explanation of how December 29 was him thinking he was making love to her.

I don't think it's just this writing team, though. Lucas and Sami both got whitewashed beyond recognition by Hogan and both IMO suffered immensely for it. Hogan made EJ way too BSC and Dena tried to fix it through the magical combination of ignoring most of it and offering a half-hearted and insulting "explanation" for his actions towards one (and only one) of his victims. I've lost hope that EJ trying to kill Lucas by locking him in the freezer truck will ever be brought up. And I don't even like Lucas!

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Sometimes I think the show is punishing me for not liking Phloe by going out of their way to find the worst possible pairings for Philip.

Sounds like there's only one solution here. You'll just have to become a Phloe fan so they'll stop putting Philip with children. ;)

Fuzzy

Kyrai
Fuzzy
Oct 10 2008, 11:11 AM
Paxton

Wonderful post!

I'm also appalled at them testing Phillip and Melanie. I just don't understand why they can't find him a decent woman. I'm sure they used to test for chemistry before hiring characters vs. trying out someone after they're hired. Phelanie is high on the ick factor scale.

It matters to me also that Nicole hasn't been redeemed. I've said numerous times that having a tormented childhood/youth can explain someone's actions, but it doesn't auto-redeem them. Redemption is feeling sorry for what you've done and trying to change. I'm amazed at how many people think seducing people into marriage is worth 5 million dollars. Yes, I know Vic treated her badly, but I've always kinda felt scum who seduce old men deserve it. I say scum in the nicest of ways. I like good villains, and enjoy Nicole in that role.

That said, I have liked Nicole as a person a lot more since she found out she was pregnant. She has seemed to genuinely want the baby for itself, not as a ticket to getting EJ to marry her. She even turned down John's offer of money. It 'seems' like this pregnancy has made her reflect on her life and realize that she wants to be a better person for this child. To me it is a nice starting point of true redemption. She finally cares about something more than herself. Sadly, I'm afraid of where they might go with this if she loses the baby. Kristen is firmly implanted in my brain, and I can't get it out, but I think Nicole could be a good Kristen type.

I also remember Nicole as Phillip's stepmom, so there is a certain ick factor, but I think I could get over it IF they come to some resolution of the past. It really doesn't make sense to me that Phillip would just accept someone who tried to kill his dad several times. If they went with Phicole, I'd like to see them resolve that somehow, perhaps give her an opportunity to atone by doing something selfless that leads to Phillip being attracted to her. IF they are going to make her a 'heroine' type character, it would be nice to see genuine remorse for her past actions and her turning over a new leaf.

There are times Phloe works ok for me, others, not so much. It may get better as time goes on, but I still always wish they could find a really good match for him. Ari is a much better actress than Nadia imo, so I'd hate to write Nicole out, but I'd want things resolved alot more than they are. That never seems to happen with this writing team though. We're just presented with a change as a fact, and don't get to see real growth. I think that's a shame.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the writing for Nicole. If they're going to redeem her, they need to actually write a redemption story for her. Not treat her like she's already there.

The pregnancy could be a start. But that's all it is. A start. To be a heroine, she first needs to care about the pain she inflicted on other people. That means owning up to her misdeeds and actually apologize to everyone she's hurt. Taylor, Greta, and Brady are off the show. But Sami, Lucas, Victor, and Marlena are still there. I realize that Sami and Victor hurt her too, but true remorse would mean realizing the part she played and apologizing for it anyway.

And what about Chloe? A couple of scenes of shared Sami bashing, and they're BFF's? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sami's never done anything to Chloe other than be bitchy about Lucas. At least not that I can remember. And Nicole deliberately infected her with flesh eating bacteria! I've yet to see her admit to it, much less apologize.

I do see chemistry between Philip/Nicole, although I saw more with both Belles. But if they wrote a decent redemption story for Nicole, with her owning up to how she hurt Victor, and by extention, Philip, I could probably accept get over her being his former stepmother. But I don't see it happening.

As it stands, a Phicole storyline would probably involve him trying to be good enough for her, and that would drive me crazy. And, even if it didn't, it would still make PHilip look even dumber than he already does as her friend. And the very idea of Philip and EJ fighting over her makes me nauseous.

I agree that Ari is a good actress, so I don't want Nicole written out. But they need to either write an actual redemption story, or write her as a bad girl. One of the two. The current writing her as a heroine without the redemption storyline doesn't work for me.

I'm not crazy about Phloe. But they can work with decent writing. And, quite frankly, they beat the alternatives. I would argue that they already had a great match for him with Martha's Belle, but that's not happening. So, Phloe forever! Or at least Phloe 2008 unless someone better comes along.

Fuzzy

Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 11:53 AM
Kyrai
I'd want things resolved alot more than they are. That never seems to happen with this writing team though. We're just presented with a change as a fact, and don't get to see real growth. I think that's a shame.

Very well put. The "redemption" of St. EJ springs to mind. I'm still waiting on his apologies to everyone he tried to kill. I also didn't hear him apologizing to Sami for torturing her by making her think he had poisoned her and her unborn babies; I guess they didn't have time to fit that in to the five minute explanation of how December 29 was him thinking he was making love to her.

I don't think it's just this writing team, though. Lucas and Sami both got whitewashed beyond recognition by Hogan and both IMO suffered immensely for it. Hogan made EJ way too BSC and Dena tried to fix it through the magical combination of ignoring most of it and offering a half-hearted and insulting "explanation" for his actions towards one (and only one) of his victims. I've lost hope that EJ trying to kill Lucas by locking him in the freezer truck will ever be brought up. And I don't even like Lucas!
But EJ isn't considered a saint. He's not BFFs with Steve or Kayla or Patrick. Marlena and Roman are still iffy about him. Lucas still dislikes him. He may get along with John, but I think that has more to do with the change in John, than anything else. Lexie's given him a second chance, but she's his sister. And they're still not exactly close. Unlike Nicole who's best friends with two of her victims--Chloe and Philip. Even Victor feels sorry for her, which I think is insane after everything she put him through.

And he did apologize to Sami. Numerous times. In the graveyard in New Orleans. In the hospital right after he was shot. And, again in May. And he did a number of things to try to make up for it. It may not work for everyone, and I agree that they should have done more, but at least they tried. Which is more than I can say for Nicole.

Paxton
Member Avatar

Fuzzy
Oct 10 2008, 01:16 PM
But EJ isn't considered a saint. He's not BFFs with Steve or Kayla or Patrick. Marlena and Roman are still iffy about him. Lucas still dislikes him. He may get along with John, but I think that has more to do with the change in John, than anything else. Lexie's given him a second chance, but she's his sister. And they're still not exactly close. Unlike Nicole who's best friends with two of her victims--Chloe and Philip. Even Victor feels sorry for her, which I think is insane after everything she put him through.

And he did apologize to Sami. Numerous times. In the graveyard in New Orleans. In the hospital right after he was shot. And, again in May. And he did a number of things to try to make up for it. It may not work for everyone, and I agree that they should have done more, but at least they tried. Which is more than I can say for Nicole.
I would say given the number of crimes EJ has committed, he's treated exceptionally well by the Bradys and others. He gets along with Maggie and Caroline, who as I recall had no problem with him being at Shawn's funeral. Marlena forgave him the moment he told her John was still alive and that seems amazingly out of character for her. I'm still completely astonished that Marlena did not have a detailed, in-depth talk with Sami about how and why it was that she had voluntarily had sex with the man she had repeatedly claimed had raped her. Any decent mother would do that, particularly one who happened to be a psychiatrist, but aside from Roman and Marlena doing a little bit of worrying about her one day that topic got dropped. EJ tried to kill Max and Stephanie with the race track accident yet he was texting her recently to find out where Max and she told him.

I've always maintained that EJ has a lot more to apologize to Sami for than 12/29 and nothing else has been addressed to my recollection.

I agree it makes little sense to have Nicole be everyone's new BFF. But that's pretty par for the course these the days and at least Ari is a terrific actress.

Fuzzy

Sariah
Oct 10 2008, 12:07 PM
Quote:

Sometimes I think the show is punishing me for not liking Phloe by going out of their way to find the worst possible pairings for Philip.

Sounds like there's only one solution here. You'll just have to become a Phloe fan so they'll stop putting Philip with children. ;)
Lol. I'm definately doing my best to give them a chance. They beat the alternatives. And I enjoyed their scenes last week.

But I don't think you want me in the fan base, considering I'm gone the minute they come up with a viable alternative.

marisol40

Psst Psst.. Fuzzy

Wait until Brady (Eric) gets there. :-)
Edited by marisol40, Oct 10 2008, 01:57 PM.

Fuzzy

Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 01:25 PM
Fuzzy
Oct 10 2008, 01:16 PM

I would say given the number of crimes EJ has committed, he's treated exceptionally well by the Bradys and others. He gets along with Maggie and Caroline, who as I recall had no problem with him being at Shawn's funeral. Marlena forgave him the moment he told her John was still alive and that seems amazingly out of character for her. I'm still completely astonished that Marlena did not have a detailed, in-depth talk with Sami about how and why it was that she had voluntarily had sex with the man she had repeatedly claimed had raped her. Any decent mother would do that, particularly one who happened to be a psychiatrist, but aside from Roman and Marlena doing a little bit of worrying about her one day that topic got dropped. EJ tried to kill Max and Stephanie with the race track accident yet he was texting her recently to find out where Max and she told him.

I've always maintained that EJ has a lot more to apologize to Sami for than 12/29 and nothing else has been addressed to my recollection.

I agree it makes little sense to have Nicole be everyone's new BFF. But that's pretty par for the course these the days and at least Ari is a terrific actress.
I agree that EJ's treated well by some of the Brady's. But I think that has more to do with them, than with whitewashing. I've yet to see Maggie hold a grudge against anyone. Or Caroline. It may be unrealistic, but it's in character for both of them. Although I agree having him escort Caroline to the funeral was a bit much. And so was texting Stephanie.

I think EJ was apologizing to Sami for everything put together. Not just 12/29. But, of course, that's just my interpretation. I'm sure other people see it differently.

Marlena forgave EJ because he expressed remorse, and he actually did something to make it up to her. That's what I need to see from Nicole. What he did may not be enough considering his crimes, but he did everything he could. Short of showing up for a jail sentence, which isn't going to happen on a soap.

On the other hand, Marlena has never been a good mother to Sami. Absolutely she should have had an in-depth discussion with Sami about EJ. Actually, she should have had that discussion as soon as she heard about 12/19. Personally, I think that's part of Sami's problem. Everyone tells her how wonderful her parents are, but they're really not. They worry about her to other people, but they're never there for Sami when she needs them. Given everything Sami's done, I wouldn't blame them for disowning her. But this push pull of "I love you, but I'm going to forget you exist when you're not in front of me, and I'm going to judge you every chance I get"--it's very destructive.

Fuzzy

marisol40
Oct 10 2008, 01:56 PM
Psst Psst.. Fuzzy

Wait until Brady (Eric) gets there. :-)
Lol. That won't help me find a decent love interest for Philip. Unless you're suggesting a Philip/Brady pairing? I could go for that. :D

Paxton
Member Avatar

Fuzzy
Oct 10 2008, 03:12 PM
I think EJ was apologizing to Sami for everything put together. Not just 12/29. But, of course, that's just my interpretation. I'm sure other people see it differently.

I do see it differently. I think Hogan Sheffer wrote EJ as completely and utterly BCS [edit: I meant "BSC"--see, I've already got this weekend's huge LSU-UF matchup on the brain--go Tigers!] and his interactions with everyone he's harmed, which is practically everyone, have been--for me--almost entirely unrealistic and his apologies insufficient and unconvincing when they exist at all. And this is coming from someone who has mostly loved EJ, with the exception of his Mr. Mom period earlier this year through May and the current incarnation.

We will simply have to agree to respectfully disagree, as we have been. :smile: And I promise to stop hijacking the thread, although it does give me the chance to use the emoticon that amuses me the most: :hijacked:
Edited by Paxton, Oct 10 2008, 03:29 PM.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Excellent posts Paxton :hail:

Alligato
Member Avatar

Oh, Pax! I knew I loved you!
Geaux Tigers! Can't wait for the big game!

Paxton
Member Avatar

DolceDiMera
Oct 10 2008, 04:17 PM
Excellent posts Paxton :hail:
Thank you! You're looking forward to LSU-Florida, too, huh? ;)

ETA: Hee, I see Alligato is, for sure!
Edited by Paxton, Oct 10 2008, 04:26 PM.

FOOL4DOOL

Paxton
Oct 10 2008, 11:53 AM
Kyrai

I can clearly remember EJ torturing Steve, whipping on him, patting him on the head and calling him "good dog". Then lately I've seen Steve and EJ chatting quite amiably. All that chaps my hiney, his "redemption" has to be the biggest crock since soaps began.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply