Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pink Soap: Can a soap actor come out?; TVGC Inside Report
Topic Started: Oct 8 2008, 04:29 PM (1,286 Views)
hunterforrester
Member Avatar

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Pink+Soap+Can+a+soap+star+come+out/Soaps/Features/Articles/081008_pink_soap_coming_out_NB.htm?isfa=1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Quote:

Earlier this year, SOAPnet.com, which is owned by ABC, outed a soap actor via a report by gossip blogger Perez Hilton. Despite this unprecedented outing, it was business as usual for the actor, who did not respond to the website’s claims.

Hilton, who has made a career out of forcing stars out of the closet, most recently Clay Aiken, defends his decision to TVGuide.ca, “I didn’t out anyone. I reported the facts. The fact is the actor is gay. He’s in a happy relationship. We out straight people all the time by asking them about their spouses and children. I don’t see the difference here really.”

Was this about Luke from ATWT dating that actor? I remember posting that article here.

Quote:

In fact, the daytime superstar tells TVGuide.ca daytime audiences aren’t the problem, suggesting it’s the powers-that-be who needs to move into the 21st Century — not the other way around.

Duh!

KittyKat
Member Avatar

I think it would be cool if a lot of soap stars came out. We know that plenty of them are gay but I wonder how many lesbians work in daytime.
Edited by KittyKat, Oct 8 2008, 05:45 PM.

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

Kitty Kat, a lot of kitty kats work in daytime! LOL!

SFHDoc
Member Avatar

I could care less what an actor does in his/her personal life. Give me a great story and great performances. That's all that matters. I believe we are all mature enough to separate the actor's role from his/her personal life. Be yourself, straight, gay, or just not involved.

Jonatha

Very thought provoking column this week, Nelson. :applause:

Deleted User
Deleted User

hunterforrester
Oct 8 2008, 05:49 PM
The big ones just recently got together LOL
Quote Post Goto Top

KittyKat
Member Avatar

hunterforrester
Oct 8 2008, 05:49 PM
:boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs:

hunterforrester
Member Avatar

But you're the hottest!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Did we ever figure out who the west coast lesbian dating her younger co-star was? I always thought it was Susan Flannery and Sandra Vidal (Ex-Sofia)

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Rakesh198
Oct 8 2008, 04:51 PM
Quote:

Earlier this year, SOAPnet.com, which is owned by ABC, outed a soap actor via a report by gossip blogger Perez Hilton. Despite this unprecedented outing, it was business as usual for the actor, who did not respond to the website’s claims.

Hilton, who has made a career out of forcing stars out of the closet, most recently Clay Aiken, defends his decision to TVGuide.ca, “I didn’t out anyone. I reported the facts. The fact is the actor is gay. He’s in a happy relationship. We out straight people all the time by asking them about their spouses and children. I don’t see the difference here really.”

Was this about Luke from ATWT dating that actor? I remember posting that article here.

I think Perez Hilton is being less than honest in saying he can't see the difference. When has an actor ever been discriminated against for being straight? I remember a couple of actors being replaced in the '90's when their HIV status was revealed along with their sexuality. I read all sorts of nasty stuff on message boards when a Soap Opera hunk who is now in primetime was seen at a beach frequented by gays. I'm still hearing snickering and Clay Aiken jokes in some offices.It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't an issue! The fact that there are so many suicides by gay or questioning teens proves that there is still a lot of predjudice out there! It should be up to a performer as to how open they want to be about their sexuality just as it should any other person unless the performer was making anti-gay remarks in public while scurrying around in the closet. Hilton makes a career out of invading other people's privacy and then spouts some bullshit line about "outing" straight people. GMAFB!!

MaterialGurl
Member Avatar

Great Read, Thanks Nelson ;)

Gregorzick

The soap genre needs to grow a pair and grow the fuck up. Both in front of the camera and behind the scenes. If soap producers are so approving of gay actors, then why aren't gay soap actors getting publicity in the pages of the ADVOCATE and SOAP OPERA DIGEST magazines? The time has come for the soap opera crowd to put their money where their mouth is!!!! Come out, Come out, and be done with it already!!!!

Mason

You would think with soaps having such a large gay audience, this wouldn't even be an issue.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Very good column, Nelson.

Very well-written and enlightening.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Oct 8 2008, 06:59 PM
Rakesh198
Oct 8 2008, 04:51 PM
Quote:

I think Perez Hilton is being less than honest in saying he can't see the difference. When has an actor ever been discriminated against for being straight? I remember a couple of actors being replaced in the '90's when their HIV status was revealed along with their sexuality. I read all sorts of nasty stuff on message boards when a Soap Opera hunk who is now in primetime was seen at a beach frequented by gays. I'm still hearing snickering and Clay Aiken jokes in some offices.It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't an issue! The fact that there are so many suicides by gay or questioning teens proves that there is still a lot of predjudice out there! It should be up to a performer as to how open they want to be about their sexuality just as it should any other person unless the performer was making anti-gay remarks in public while scurrying around in the closet. Hilton makes a career out of invading other people's privacy and then spouts some bullshit line about "outing" straight people. GMAFB!!
i didn't see this particular comment by perez hilton, but he has addressed the issue on his site. since he's gay, i think he feels that the more gay/lesbian public figures that are 'outed', the more accepting society will be. he even went as far to say that it would have helped him a lot growing up as a gay teen had he known of popular public figures being in his same position. i think he feels he's helping people out by outing famous people. i am sorry that an actor lost his job, but that's not hilton's fault. that's the fault of the bigoted powers-that-be at his network.

that being said, perez hilton runs a popular gossip site, so gossip is literally his bread and butter. we can't fault the guy for doing the same things all the gossip mags do everyday. that's how he pays the bills.

Mason

luvpumpkns
Oct 9 2008, 11:32 AM
that being said, perez hilton runs a popular gossip site, so gossip is literally his bread and butter. we can't fault the guy for doing the same things all the gossip mags do everyday. that's how he pays the bills.
We he could get a real job, like all the rest of us. Any one of us could pull shit out of our asses about celebrities and slap it onto a website. Doesn't mean we would (or should) get paid for it.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 9 2008, 04:29 PM
luvpumpkns
We he could get a real job, like all the rest of us. Any one of us could pull shit out of our asses about celebrities and slap it onto a website. Doesn't mean we would (or should) get paid for it.
he used to work for tmz. heck, they have their own tv show, so i guess the gossip sites are becoming at least that legitimate. i'm really not trying to be a champion of gossip websites or magazines, but they exist only because people are interested and pay money for it. they're sort of like drug dealers. they're skeevy, and no one wants them around, but you sort of have to blame the addicts for that as much or even more than the suppliers. perez hilton is just a symptom of a greater problem of our culture's obession with fame. some people like him are able to capitalize on that, and while i wouldn't want to do it, i can't fault them for wanting to make a buck.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Oct 9 2008, 04:57 PM
Mason
Oct 9 2008, 04:29 PM
luvpumpkns
he used to work for tmz. heck, they have their own tv show, so i guess the gossip sites are becoming at least that legitimate. i'm really not trying to be a champion of gossip websites or magazines, but they exist only because people are interested and pay money for it. they're sort of like drug dealers. they're skeevy, and no one wants them around, but you sort of have to blame the addicts for that as much or even more than the suppliers. perez hilton is just a symptom of a greater problem of our culture's obession with fame. some people like him are able to capitalize on that, and while i wouldn't want to do it, i can't fault them for wanting to make a buck.
Perez makes THOUSANDS of dollars from ads alone!!! Lots of money!!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

luvpumpkns

i didn't see this particular comment by perez hilton, but he has addressed the issue on his site. since he's gay, i think he feels that the more gay/lesbian public figures that are 'outed', the more accepting society will be. he even went as far to say that it would have helped him a lot growing up as a gay teen had he known of popular public figures being in his same position. i think he feels he's helping people out by outing famous people. i am sorry that an actor lost his job, but that's not hilton's fault. that's the fault of the bigoted powers-that-be at his network.

that being said, perez hilton runs a popular gossip site, so gossip is literally his bread and butter. we can't fault the guy for doing the same things all the gossip mags do everyday. that's how he pays the bills. [/quote] You don't "help people" by throwing a hand grenade into the middle of other people's lives and careers. I CAN and DO fault a guy and gossip mags for taking it upon themselves to "out" people. The fact that Perez has made a career of this crap proves that it's still an issue or else nobody would care.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Oct 9 2008, 05:45 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply