Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC: Eileen Herlie has just passed away
Topic Started: Oct 9 2008, 12:55 PM (930 Views)
kserox10

http://soapnet.go.com/soapnet/article/path-articleNum_14079/category_shows

Eileen Herlie, 1918-2008
October 9, 2008 10:36 PDT By Jesse Murray

Posted Image

Eileen Herlie, who played the irrepressible, vivacious, and just generally amazing Myrtle Fargate on "All My Children" since 1976, has passed away from complications from pneumonia. She was 90.

Born Eileen Herlihy in Glasgow, Scotland, Eileen was trained as a theater actress and working in London when she was cast by Laurence Olivier for his 1948 film version of "Hamlet." She played Gertrude, mother to Olivier's Hamlet, even though she was younger than him! Gertrude became a trademark role for Eileen: She played her in the 1964 Broadway production (starring Richard Burton) and then the film adaptation of the show.

Eileen had a successful Broadway career, including roles in "The Matchmaker," "All American," "Crown Matrimonial," and a Tony Award nomination for "Take Me Along."

In 1976, she joined the cast of "All My Children" as Myrtle Fargate, who Phoebe Tyler (the late Ruth Warrick) hired to pose as Kitty Shea's mother in a bid to get the latter out of town. Myrtle stuck around, though, becoming a surrogate mother figure to Erica (Susan Lucci), surrogate grandmother to Bianca (Eden Riegel), beloved advisor/friend to Zach (Thorsten Kaye), and just generally everyone's favorite person. Myrtle's many misadventures included finding her long lost daughter, Rae (Linda Dano), and even falling in love with Santa Claus! And no one can forget her stories from her "carny" days.

Eileen is survived by her brother and her nieces and nephews.

Rest in peace, Eileen. Over the years, you brought a lot of joy to millions of people and gave us all a friend in Myrtle. That is no small feat. You will be missed more than we can say.

I'm going to cry. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Awww....Eileen....I am gotta miss her/Myrtle so much.

My Condolences to her family.

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Wow what a great loss.

We have lost so many in the Soap business this year including greats like Lois Nettleton, Beverlee McKinsey, Irene Dailey and now Eileen Herlie.

kserox10

I hope AMC has a send off episode like they did with Pheobe.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Such heartbreaking news. :(

RIP Eileen.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Wow this is really sad. I wonder if she will be a victim of the tornado and if they have already taped her scenes.

I loved Myrtle with Zach and especially Bianca and when her house used to be the place for the youngters to live.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

thanks for posting. i grew up with my mom watching amc religously, and i always loved myrtle. eileen will be sorely missed.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Although she was 90, this is still an unexpected shock considering how much of a featured character she still seemed to be and that she'd always seemed to be in good health and active. This is a huge loss for both AMC and the entire genre!

KMan101
Member Avatar

Wow.

So sad :(

She will be missed so much.

I wonder how they'll deal with her death. I doubt Myrtle dies in the tornado. I hope she gets another send-off, as her death would be overshadowed by Babe's. She needs her own send off. Maybe she's hospitalized after the tornado and dies from complications? Or she just quietly passes away in her sleep.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

This is sad :(
She will be missed indeed. I was just thinking of her last night, and Myrtle. :(

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

What horrible news :(

I agree Matt, this is unexpected. That damn pneumonia can really get a person down and with her age, I don't guess she was strong enough to fight it. You will definitely be missed Eileen.

Mason
Member Avatar

Oh no. :(

RIP Eileen.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

A couple of my favorite Myrtle Clips

Palmer and Myrtle's Blind Date 2006

Fargate's Bloody Mary

Myrtle at Erica's Intervention 2004

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Posted Image

All My Children's Eileen Herlie, better known as Pine Valley's Myrtle Fargate, died on Wednesday due to complications from pneumonia, ABC announced. She was 90.

An AMC mainstay for more than three decades, Scottish-born Herlie honed her acting chops in the theater on both sides of the Atlantic, performing on London's West End and on Broadway. She starred alongside Sir Laurence Olivier in the film version of Hamlet as Queen Gertrude, later reprising the role on Broadway.

Herlie joined the cast of All My Children in 1976 as Erica Kane's (Susan Lucci) surrogate mother and has guest-starred as Fargate on sister ABC soaps Loving and One Life to Live.

http://www.tvguide.com/Soaps/Eileen-Herlie-Children-20140.aspx

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

R.I.P :(

Q Steph
Member Avatar
Put your hands up for Obama

Awww. That's so sad. R.I.P.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

God Speed, Eileen, and thanks for the many incredible memories!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Rick
Oct 9 2008, 04:36 PM
A couple of my favorite Myrtle Clips

Fargate's Bloody Mary

Myrtle at Erica's Intervention 2004
Thanks for those clips. How very sad this is.

Nixsoaps
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 9 2008, 04:36 PM

I can't believe that was in 2006. I thought it was just last year.

Eileen will be missed. May she RIP.
My sympathy goes out to her loved ones.

Gregorzick

Eileen will be missed. Too bad that they didn't give out Emmys in the mid 1970s for Best Supporting Actress. La Herile could have won one easily in 1976 and 1977. Kitty's search for her mother was one of AMC's best storyline of the 1970s and Eileen's acting had a lot to do with that!!!I'd type more but I'm on the verge of tears right now.......RIP Eileen!!! :frown:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply