Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
James E. Reilly has passed away; From We Love Soaps
Topic Started: Oct 14 2008, 12:47 PM (5,305 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

OMG NO!

Reilly is the man responsible for my soap obsession as well as many others.

He was Daytime's most controversial writers and whether you hated him, loved him, or loved to hate him, he always kept the buzz going for his soaps, good or bad. The man knew how to write an umbrella story and he sure knew how to give it a climax.

I don't think people actually realized that JER was a traditional storyteller. He just liked to use the Supernatural to tell his stories. Just like the soaps of yesteryear, Some days on Passions characters would just talk to each other for the whole episode I personally liked his long drawn out stories because I knew that one day it would come to a head and be one big orgasmic explosion. LOL

Thanks for the memories JER.
You will be sorely missed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Oct 14 2008, 02:45 PM
wow such sad news...He was responsible for some of my favorite years and stories of Days..RIP...Maybe we should start a thread and list some of our favorite JER stories and moments in honor of his career..
That sounds like a great idea Kev.

jane1978

JER could be good when he wanted to be. But he got lazy with time. Still, I agree he was an amazing storyteller and I believe an inspiration to many, not only on daytime but primetime too.

Itīs sad to see him go so early. RIP JER.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

RIP, JER. Your contributions, though controversial, will never be forgotten in the realm of daytime television. My condolences go out to his family, friends, close co-workers, and Toups.

I started watching GL in the early 90's, during one of its great golden eras, which was really the first time I was ever loyal to a soap. Anyway, JER was Co-HW with Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest during that period, even though I give Nancy and Stephen most of the credit for that time, I can still say JER was one of the first writers I started off my soap watching life with.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Oct 14 2008, 03:17 PM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 14 2008, 03:04 PM
OMG NO!

Reilly is the man responsible for my soap obsession as well as many others.

He was Daytime's most controversial writers and whether you hated him, loved him, or loved to hate him, he always kept the buzz going for his soaps, good or bad. The man knew how to write an umbrella story and he sure knew how to give it a climax.

I don't think people actually realized that JER was a traditional storyteller. He just liked to use the Supernatural to tell his stories. Just like the soaps of yesteryear, Some days on Passions characters would just talk to each other for the whole episode I personally liked his long drawn out stories because I knew that one day it would come to a head and be one big orgasmic explosion. LOL

Thanks for the memories JER.
You will be sorely missed.
I agree. I never watched Passions, but I will argue til I die that The Possession was a love story, and a great one at that.

Gregorzick

Love him or hate him, JER was unique and definitely one of a kind. During it's first two years on the air, PASSIONS had the potential of being a truly classic soap. RIP, Mr. Reilly. The soap world won't be the same without you.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

daysfan
Oct 14 2008, 02:32 PM
Manny
Oct 14 2008, 02:30 PM
You know, at least he got to finish up his baby... Passions...
Oh yes. It actually makes me glad that Passions wasn't picked up yet again despite the rumors. Because JER got to end it himself.
Me too.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
wow such sad news...He was responsible for some of my favorite years and stories of Days..RIP...Maybe we should start a thread and list some of our favorite JER stories and moments in honor of his career..
Sounds good.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Sad news to hear.

Love him or hate him, he made you talk about soaps. When he was good he was GOOD.

Rest In Peace

daysfan
Member Avatar

This is still unbelievable and unexpected. Maybe its just because we didn't know much about JER and his health like we have in the case of other actors, writers, and whatnot...but I mean he was only 60! Just wow.

JER ultimately did do some damage to Daytime, but he did do alot of good things.

On Days, he created the fantastic, and one of the only true rivals(heck maybe the only) of Marlena: Kristen Blake, and he made me fall in love with her. He wrote Maison Blanche, Aremid, Carly buried alive, Paris, the Secret Room, he brought life back into Days and so many characters. Even the SSK was great pre-Melaswan.

And on Passions, he had so many grand stories from 1999-2003 and then he also had alot of good moments from 2004-2008. Zombie Charity, Sheridan being kidnapped by Beth and Alistair/Charlie, Tabitha and Timmy and their many adventures, Sheridan being "killed" on the boat, Miguel and Charity, Ethan being Sam's son, the Julian and Eve affair.

My word.

Mason

Holy SHIT! I never would have expected this. :o

Even though I despised his writing later on, I'll never forget JER's brilliant storytelling in his first run on DAYS. Hell, if it weren't for him, I may not even be watching soaps in the first place!

RIP.

koos

I'm shocked. While I don't like what he did to Days, the tone of the show back in the mid '90s was deliberate and memorable. I just can't believe this...

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

This is shocking and sad. Now I feel bad about all the times I bashed his writing, especially on Passions. He was definitely a prolific writer and he very well could've been the one to save Days once and for all.

The soap community has lost another great person. :frown:

Mason

OneBadKitty
Oct 14 2008, 04:14 PM
Now I feel bad about all the times I bashed his writing, especially on Passions. He was definitely a prolific writer and he very well could've been the one to save Days once and for all.
Now, I wouldn't go that far. It's very sad that he passed away, but I'm not about to wax nostalgic for Iraq, the castle, or any of the other crap from his second run on DAYS, just because he died. And I won't even get started on some of his stories on PASSIONS. I mean, I'm not trying to be an asshole, but it's true.
Edited by Mason, Oct 14 2008, 04:17 PM.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 14 2008, 04:17 PM
OneBadKitty
Oct 14 2008, 04:14 PM
Now I feel bad about all the times I bashed his writing, especially on Passions. He was definitely a prolific writer and he very well could've been the one to save Days once and for all.
Now, I wouldn't go that far. It's very sad that he passed away, but I'm not about to wax nostalgic for Iraq, the castle, or any of the other crap from his second run on DAYS, just because he died. And I won't even get started on some of his stories on PASSIONS. I mean, I'm not trying to be an asshole, but it's true.
Well, now we'll never know.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I was hoping JER would come back and save Days. Now I wouldn't never get that dream. :(

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow...I come back from my trip to this.

I was just about to reply in the thread about him possibly returning to Days. How ironic that when that starts being talked about this happens. This also feels very similar to Douglas Marland's death in how shocking it is. I also can't help but be reminded of JRE's passing.

I'm just glad he had a chance to see Passions through to the end. That was his creation and at least it saw some closure before his passing. I may have complained alot about him in the last few years and may not have been in love with the man's first reign as much as everyone else but one thing I respected about him is he took risks. He also seemed to love classic, traditional soap. He took the traditional and blended it with the surreal and supernatural and, while it didn't always work, I can appreciate his efforts because soaps need to take the traditional and attempt to modernize it.

I hope he RIP and I'm so glad his sister was by his side. He always seemed to be on his own and we knew so little about him. He was always in hiding so no one really got to see him much. He will never be forgotten and his writing was the source of many great memories for many, including me. My thoughts and prayers to his family and to Toups, who adored the man. This truly is a tough year.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 14 2008, 04:37 PM.

ges
Member Avatar

This is very sad news. Wow.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
Good idea, Kev.

I will start it.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 14 2008, 04:50 PM
Kevc1980
Good idea, Kev.

I will start it.
Thanks.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply