Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
James E. Reilly has passed away; From We Love Soaps
Topic Started: Oct 14 2008, 12:47 PM (5,309 Views)
King
Member Avatar

Tim, there was an event with SHUIS in February of 2000. I heard he was there at the NBC store in NYC that day too. But the event I saw him at was in May of 2000 with Mills, Huber, and Schuldt.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Oct 15 2008, 01:47 AM
Tim, there was an event with SHUIS in February of 2000. I heard he was there at the NBC store in NYC that day too. But the event I saw him at was in May of 2000 with Mills, Huber, and Schuldt.
Ah, ok. I'm guessing since he was living in New England it made it easier for him to travel to New York and the NBC store.

That had to be so much fun. I would've loved to sit down and pick that man's brain about stories and such.

King
Member Avatar

Very touching video, Rick!

King
Member Avatar

The last I read he was living in Manhasset, NY.

It was fun. I just gushed over him and how obsessed I was with him, and he just laughed at me and thought I was a goof. His cheeks were rosy red and he kept laughing this crazy ass laugh like Santa!

King
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 15 2008, 01:51 AM
King
Ah, ok. I'm guessing since he was living in New England it made it easier for him to travel to New York and the NBC store.

That had to be so much fun. I would've loved to sit down and pick that man's brain about stories and such.
I was hoping to do that still, until today!

Steve Frame
Member Avatar

Sadly I don't think you will ever get a marathon. Remember they didn't do anything when Gloria Monty died and GH is Frons' baby. There was hardly any mention of it.

It is just like I stated in my current editorial at SoapsWEB - soap opera is about the only genre out there - movie, TV, music, sports, etc. - who have no regard for their legends. I mean when Mary Stuart died the Emmys didn't even mention it at all.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Oct 15 2008, 01:54 AM
The last I read he was living in Manhasset, NY.

It was fun. I just gushed over him and how obsessed I was with him, and he just laughed at me and thought I was a goof. His cheeks were rosy red and he kept laughing this crazy ass laugh like Santa!
Aww.

He sounds like a fun-loving, nice guy. I know some may think he was some sadistic whack-job but it doesn't seem like that at all. He seemed like a happy, creative man. I just wish we got to hear and read more interviews from him. I would've liked to hear about his inspirations and motivations and such.

Steve, you are so right. Soaps don't even honor anniversaries on the shows anymore. I remember back in the 90's we got Victoria Wyndham's 25th anniversary on AW. We get show anniversaries but even then shows make such a small deal out of them most of the time. It's sad that soaps don't honor deceased, former, and current people who have meant so much.

sungrey

Well, here goes nothing. As one of his staunchest critics I cannot begin to express my sympathy to everyone on the DR and SON boards I've antagonized over the years with my anti-JER hatred and paranoid fear that NBC would go down the road another time. My condolences go out to those of you who worshipped Reilly and his style of writing. And I also recognize much that was good about him.

For starters, his time writing GL with Stephen Demorest and Nancy Curlee was spectacular. The blackout was a masterpiece, but one of my all-time favorite scenes is Bridget in the attic singing to her unborn child. I don't know if that was his doing, but it just rang so true to the Christmas spirit that GL used to capture perfectly.

His first go-round writing Days had more good moments than bad. He got off on the wrong foot when Crystal Chappell, Michael Sabatino and Matthew Ashford were all let go shortly after he came aboard, but Lawrence and Carly's story had come to an end. John and Marlena on the conference table was a classic scene. Sami kidnapping Belle was a total surprise, as was the way she chose to deal with Alan. Only Reilly would have the balls (pun intended) to pull off a stunt like that.

And who could forget Austin/Sami/Carrie the first time around? God, that was my favorite story back then. I cheered with everyone when Carrie proclaimed "you lose" and decked her own sister in September 1997, followed by the magical Austin/Carrie wedding. What a wonderful period that was for Days. Then there was Aremid, the revelation Lucas was a Horton, Laura coming back to Salem... Maison Blanche was a strong storyline. We've talked on here about how the possession, while a well-executed plot, may not have been the type of story daytime needed to tell, but the fact is it is out there for history to judge.

But boy, could Reilly piss you off. He is the reason I stopped watching Days early in 2004 but returned weeks later. Let me phrase it this way: How would you feel if someone lined up your family members and executed them one by one? I think the thing that pissed off a lot of veteran viewers was the fact we were seeing our beloved characters wiped out piece by piece, leaving behind a show that likely would have challenged Passions for last place in the ratings when all was said and done. I could not bear to see great characters like Maggie, Tony, Victor, etc., summarily wiped off the board, and when word leaked that Doug and Alice were the next to go I clicked off the TV and said "Over 20 years of watching Days down the drain, you bastard."

Then came the revelation that the dead weren't dead, something leaked to the boards that first weekend in April 2004. Back I came to say "Okay, Jim, you get a second chance. Write your way out of the corner." Melaswen was not a well-done story, and quite frankly most of Reilly's second go-round was a big stinker. Even though I was a Shelle supporter, I knew the Shimi fans would be screwed because Reilly would take the road heavily traveled and give Shawn and Belle a daughter. When Days changed writers in 2006, all I could say was "Hallelujah!" and I once again enjoyed watching the show.

Would Reilly have worked a third time? That we'll never know. But I look at it this way... the fact so many people were geeked to even have a chance to see Jim back in action proved to me that the guy did have a following. He could polarize like you wouldn't believe. You either loved his work or you hated, hated, HATED it with a passion (no pun intended).

Regardless of how you feel about Reilly, one thing is sure. The daytime world is darker without him, and another legend has been snuffed. Say what you want, he got you talking.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Rick
Oct 15 2008, 01:03 AM
Not as good as some flashy ones but I tried.

I think you did a great job! Beautiful!

skiman1208
Member Avatar

JER was actually at an NBC experience event with Jesse Metcalfe and Lindsay Hartley and I was able to get his autograph on both Lindsay and Jesse's photograph's. He reminded me of Santa Clause. I still can't believe he is gone.
Edited by skiman1208, Oct 15 2008, 07:30 AM.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Awww King, I'm so sorry! I feel bad for Phoenix, Mason, and Kenny too because I know you all loved his first run and I know he created Kristen! And Rakesh and Toups, I feel so bad for you two because I know you were the very few who never lost faith in him.

I still can't believe he's gone! Whats even more unbelievable is that this is probably the last time that the soap world is going to be focused on JER!

SallySlice
Member Avatar

At some other boards there is this undying love for this man now and it cracks me up.

Some people hated this man just because he didn't write a tv show the way they wanted him to.
People called this man JERk and a ton of other names and now they are being the biggest fake ass bunch I've ever seen.

And I hate fake punk-ass bitches.

I'm not saying it's this board, cause I know that nobody here would call a head writer evil vile names or wish death on them cause the show wasn't what they wanted.

But at other boards people have talked so 'nice' about JER and Higley and McTavish and Guza and etc...
Not giving a shit that these are people too.

Makes you think...one minute you talk shit about someone, and the next minute they are dead.

But at least here I see folks saying that if they didn't like his writing, they still feel sad about his passing.

Good to see there is still some real people.

RIP James.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Rick
Oct 15 2008, 01:03 AM
Not as good as some flashy ones but I tried.

This was really nice. Thanks Rick. :)

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

King
He was at that event because I saw a pic of him and SHUIS together.

King
Member Avatar

Understandable, Sally. I still think Passions sucked for the last 5 years, and I think he lost his touch over the years MAJORLY.

But for the ten years before that, he was amazing.

He did influence me to be a writer, which is what I am today, so he did have a huge impact on my life.
Edited by King, Oct 15 2008, 12:27 PM.

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I'm seriously crying...still! This day has been so depressing as this is almost all I've thought about. Everyday, I've always thought "I can't wait til JER is at another soap...they better get him back at Days!" Now they never will. It's like I have no hope for daytime right now...especially Days.

I'm not even exagerating right now....I see JER as one of the most brilliant writers who ever lived. I really hope Digest will do a tribute. This is just the worst thing ever. Why JER?? I can't fathom this...I'm so heartbroken!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

I feel ya Tyler. I just can't wrap my head around it really. Knowing that JER will never pen another soap is just...depressing.
Edited by Rick, Oct 15 2008, 02:57 PM.

King
Member Avatar

He created some of the best storylines and best characters to grace daytime ever, IMO.

Can you imagine if PSNS was still on the air? I wonder what would have happened to it.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

psychofan
Oct 15 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm seriously crying...still! This day has been so depressing as this is almost all I've thought about. Everyday, I've always thought "I can't wait til JER is at another soap...they better get him back at Days!" Now they never will. It's like I have no hope for daytime right now...especially Days.

I'm not even exagerating right now....I see JER as one of the most brilliant writers who ever lived. I really hope Digest will do a tribute. This is just the worst thing ever. Why JER?? I can't fathom this...I'm so heartbroken!
I know. :(

daysfan
Member Avatar

King
Oct 15 2008, 03:42 PM
He created some of the best storylines and best characters to grace daytime ever, IMO.

Can you imagine if PSNS was still on the air? I wonder what would have happened to it.
I was just thinking that earlier myself! It makes you truly wonder what would have happened because Passions never had any other vision than JER's. Again this just makes me glad it ended because he got to finish it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply