Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
James E. Reilly has passed away; From We Love Soaps
Topic Started: Oct 14 2008, 12:47 PM (5,454 Views)
Ridge
Member Avatar

This is sad. RIP. Condolensces to his family and friends.

JER didn't get me into soaps but he did give me some of the most memorable memories of them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

This is just crazy. I STILL can't believe this.

Are we sure that this isn't just another crazy Reilly plot?

darraholic
Member Avatar
#TeamBeastModePrincess

I still blame Reilly for giving me nightmares in the 90's. I refuse to be buried when I die because of the Buried Alive storyline. And I couldn't sleep with my lights off during the Possession. That storyline scared the crap out of me as a kid. I watched The Exorcist years later and it didn't come close to giving me nightmares like the Possession did.

SallySlice
Member Avatar

I hope you all don't stay sad for too long.

It sucks when your hero dies.

But this man created stuff that will be
remembered for a long time to come,
so I hope that brings you some comfort.

It's a cool legacy for the most part.

King
Member Avatar

I used to get home first from school. And I had to wait for my entire family to get home before I watched DAYS during the Possession!

THAT is how scared I was. aha.

I am not one to get into soap couples either, but he wrote the only couple I really ever cared about getting together/staying together - Carrie and Austin!
Edited by King, Oct 16 2008, 10:51 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Oct 14 2008, 09:37 PM
Rakesh198
Oct 14 2008, 07:01 PM
"James Reilly was one of the most profoundly lovely human beings in our industry. He was a towering person in our industry who had a tremendous faith in God and Catholicism, as anyone who watched Passions knows. Everyone will miss him," said Reilly's long-time friend and agent, Jonathan Russo.
This doesn't surprise me. There were elements of religion and Catholicism all throughout his stories.
I knew he respected the faith and used "Passions" as a way to not force it on others, but celebrate that faith, in some way. Some detractors argued with me on that one, suggesting he aimed to mock the faith.
Quote Post Goto Top

Ilovethesoaps

Our prayers with be with the family. He will be missed

bellcurve
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Dec 2 2008, 02:28 PM
Kenny
Rakesh198
"James Reilly was one of the most profoundly lovely human beings in our industry. He was a towering person in our industry who had a tremendous faith in God and Catholicism, as anyone who watched Passions knows. Everyone will miss him," said Reilly's long-time friend and agent, Jonathan Russo.
This doesn't surprise me. There were elements of religion and Catholicism all throughout his stories.
I knew he respected the faith and used "Passions" as a way to not force it on others, but celebrate that faith, in some way. Some detractors argued with me on that one, suggesting he aimed to mock the faith.
Nice to see you back in the mix, JERSoapsFan. I was beginning to worry 'bout you.

I thought it was a celebration of faith, but I disagree that he wasn't forcing his Catholicism on the audience.

Everything post DAYS 93-97 has always had a religious, pro-God, very conservative leaning. Yes, he had gay characters on his show and wild, sexually perverse stories, but they were all told with this moral message at the center.

Mason
Member Avatar

IHeartDRRick
Dec 2 2008, 02:46 PM
I thought it was a celebration of faith, but I disagree that he wasn't forcing his Catholicism on the audience.

Everything post DAYS 93-97 has always had a religious, pro-God, very conservative leaning. Yes, he had gay characters on his show and wild, sexually perverse stories, but they were all told with this moral message at the center.
I agree. Look at the way he wrote Mimi's abortion, Chad's affair with Vincent, etc. His personal feelings on issues such as abortion and homosexuality seemed pretty clear.

Deleted User
Deleted User

^REally? lol. I didn't pick up on it then. After all, Chad wasn't damned to hell (unless I missed that episode?) It was over-the-top but if you look at Edna and Norma, their relationship was celebrated, not dismissed or insulted (or at least,that was my perception).
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

IHeartDRRick
JERSoapsFan
Dec 2 2008, 02:28 PM
Kenny
Rakesh198
Nice to see you back in the mix, JERSoapsFan. I was beginning to worry 'bout you.

Aw, thanks for the kind words. Everyone here is just awesome.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
Dec 4 2008, 01:19 AM
^REally? lol. I didn't pick up on it then. After all, Chad wasn't damned to hell
No, but he was murdered (by his own father, no less), LoL.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I totally forgot that. for some reason, I thought he left town! (And yes, I watched the episode where he was killed.) Wow.
Quote Post Goto Top

daysfan
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 2 2008, 02:58 PM
IHeartDRRick

I agree. Look at the way he wrote Mimi's abortion, Chad's affair with Vincent, etc. His personal feelings on issues such as abortion and homosexuality seemed pretty clear.
Now that I think about it, that is correct.

He always had the characters who did those things severely punished or they were a tortured person. Vincent definately was, Chad died, Mimi was blackmailed by Jan, lost the ability to have children, lost Rex...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply