Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
JER In Memoriam Thread; Share Your Memories!
Topic Started: Oct 14 2008, 05:01 PM (2,086 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This idea was mentioned in the JER thread so I thought I would start it. I figured we could all just recall our favorite JER stories, memories, etc. I don't know how to post clips and stuff so, hopefully, others can do that.

My all-time favorite story of his wasn't even really his story. It started in 1991 when John was revealed to not be Roman. JER came on in 1992 as a co-HW with Sheri Anderson and I still believe that was the best Days had ever been under the both of them. They both balanced each other quite well. Sheri grounded JER and JER made Sheri's writing more compelling from a dramatic aspect.

Anyway, they both together took the affair story and turned it into one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen. Everything had a flow to it. J&M gave into passion, Sami caught them one night...leading to her kidnapping Belle and her eating disorder, Marlena no longer was the town saint, the reveal shattered Marlena's image and was just one of the most real moments on Days ever. It wasn't over the top. It was a realistic reveal at a baptism. The aftermath of this story led to Maison Blanche (another favorite of mine) and the Possession.

The affair story was just gutty, gritty, realistic, character-driven drama. It was Days at it's best and it's the kind of stuff that I believe is what soaps are all about. Never had I been more emotionally affected by dramatic scenes (other then deaths and goodbyes of course) like I was when Roman and Marlena had that dramatic face off at their home. Wow...how the show and Wayne and Dee never won an Emmy for that stuff is beyond my comprehension.

Anyway, that story was my fave and JER was a big part of that, along with Maison Blanche which was IMO the best example of how to bring a character back (Kristian Alfonso as Hope Brady) in soap history. Just a brilliant, gothic story which featured a very dramatic climax that set in motion so many stories.

If anyone can post clips of these, that would be great because these stories really were JER at his best.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

My Top 3 favorite JER storylines would be The Possession, Carly Buried Alive & the Kristen/John/Marlena triangle.

Mason
Member Avatar

Some of my all-time favorite soap stories came from JER's 90s run on DAYS: Buried Alive, Maison Blanche, the Possession, Aremid, Paris, John/Marlena/Kristen/Susan, the original Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas quad, and of course, my favorite soap story of all-time, the Secret Room!

He also created my favorite soap character ever: Kristen Blake! For that, I'll be eternally grateful to him.

Shylock

The best piece of story he ever did (I think he did this?) is Tony framing John for his own murder.

Or Andre.

Or whoever it was.

But at the time it was fantastic.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

My favorie JER stories

5. The Secret Room
4. Rome
3. Paris
2. Maison Blanche
1. Aremid

Honorable mention: The Jungle, I know many people did not like that story but I loved it.

I don't know when but soon I will start uploading clips from 1997 (that's the only year from JER 1 that I have episodes with).
Edited by Sindacco, Oct 14 2008, 05:15 PM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Well it was JER that got me hooked on DOOL with the SSK storyline.

I loved Passions. I enjoyed every moment of it. I'm so glad JER created it and wrote it. I was really entertained. It was a must watch for me.

They are so many stories that I loved on Passions. I really enjoyed like 90% of the stuff on that show. From Ethan being revealed as a Benette, Kay slapping her mother, Theresa going to hell, creation of Timmy, supernatural stuff, devious plots, villains like Alistair, and the list goes on...

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Maison Blanche is my #1 favorite storyline ever in daytime. The John/Marlena affair/Belle's paternity reveal is a very close 2nd.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^It was. I enjoyed the whole Aremid story.

What I appreciated most about Andre framing John was how JER covered his bases with the details. That was in large part what was missing in his second run and what is missing on many soaps today. JER wrote "Tony" as thinking of everything from making sure people saw him and John getting into fights and John threatening him, to making sure John left out the back door and that residue was on his hands, to making sure people were outside to hear as he fought with John and got shot, to the cool invention that allowed him to fire off the gun at himself and then dropped the gun to the ground. All bases were covered to prevent from any plot holes and that us just good writing, plain and simple.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Loved the Secret Room and most of the stories involving Kristen. The Killing Pool was awesome - who saw that one coming?

Although it later fell apart, the SSK story was what got everyone suddenly talking about Days. It was bold and gutsy.

As for Passions, so many funny moments - I loved how that show never failed to take advantage of a humorous situation and never minded poking fun at itself - and others. Remember "We interrupt the 6th hour of the Today Show to bring you this important news?" How classic was that? Or this little gem:

Announcer: The role of Fox Crane is now being played by Mark Wystrach.

(Tabitha looks around in confusion)

Announcer: Answer the door!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I have the strongest memories of Carly being buried alive. That was a great story.

MericP
Member Avatar

Wow, those are some good stories...and I guess I never paid attention to who wrote them, lol.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Oct 14 2008, 05:27 PM
Loved the Secret Room and most of the stories involving Kristen. The Killing Pool was awesome - who saw that one coming?
I'm not 100% sure but I think The Killing Pool was Sussman-Morina's story. She and JER were co-headwriters to early January 1998 and I think TKP started in February. But I agree it was a good story.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Oct 14 2008, 05:37 PM
OneBadKitty
I'm not 100% sure but I think The Killing Pool was Sussman-Morina's story. She and JER were co-headwriters to early January 1998 and I think TKP started in February. But I agree it was a good story.
Oh, I didn't know that. But it was still one hell of a twist!

Days4Life

Maison Blanche, Aremid, the Secret Room....some of my favorite soap stories ever. I was a stay at home mom in the 90s with small children, and DAYS was my "me" time. I lived for that hour! I also loved the John/Marlena affair storyline, which was so perfectly written that I ached for everyone involved. I'll never forget when Marlena walked into the Brady Pub for the first time after all the truths came out and she'd fallen off her perfect pedestal. I thought she was the bravest woman I'd ever seen. And I loved the Possession, too, although it was quite different from the usual DAYS storytelling. It was exciting and thrilling and actually a wonderful love story, in a weird satanic kind of way!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

JER can call himself an Emmy winner and WGA Award winner because of GL, and it was the only place he came in contact with the equally controversial Jill Farren Phelps. I've always through those two are the most controversial figures to hit the daytime landscape over the past 20 years, and both are deeply polarizing figures.

I'll do some GL moments, since I know this thread will be DAYS/Passions dominated. Even though Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest deserve most of the credit for GL's early 90's golden era, JER was their Co-HW from 91-92. Here are some highlights from that time.

The GREAT Springfield blackout, which was a springboard for more stories and a climax for other stories. I've been told many times that this event was JER's idea, and I know he later did a blackout event on DAYS.

The wonderful introduction of Bridget Reardon and how she would assimilate into so many great stories from that time. Bridget in the attic and Nadine faking a pregnancy with a pillow baby, in an attempt to try to pass Bridget's baby off as her own was very JER, and in a good way.

The WONDERFUL Country Club resolution with Roger Thorpe and Alexandra Spaulding (then played by the late great Beverlee McKinsey). Again, like JER usually does, something big came out in a very public arena and it was absolutely wonderful to watch.

The Daniel St. John storyline, which was very dark, and drew up some good Roger and Holly scenes/history.

The great Spaulding/Lewis Oil business wars from this time, though probably more Curlee and Demorest, occurred during JER's time there as well.

There's more I'm forgetting, but that's all for now.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Oct 14 2008, 05:52 PM.

Jonatha

OneBadKitty

Although it later fell apart, the SSK story was what got everyone suddenly talking about Days. It was bold and gutsy.

As for Passions, so many funny moments - I loved how that show never failed to take advantage of a humorous situation and never minded poking fun at itself - and others. Remember "We interrupt the 6th hour of the Today Show to bring you this important news?" How classic was that? Or this little gem:

Announcer: The role of Fox Crane is now being played by Mark Wystrach.

(Tabitha looks around in confusion)

Announcer: Answer the door!
LOL, that is funny, thanks for sharing. I never watched Passions. Awesome.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I am so not a soap connaiseur, and don't know much about Days history and who wrote what.

What I do know is in the early to mid 90s, when all of my high school friends raced home to watch 90210, all I could think about was "please let my VCR record Days!!" I was captivated by Carly buried alive and Vivian and Aremid and John/Kristen/Tony/Peter Blake...and couldn't wait to get home to watch!! I was so hopelessly hooked!

So if all of that craziness was JER, then my hat is off to you, sir. You snagged me and reeled me in and I am still hooked today. Those were some of the most captivating stories that I still think about today, and apparantly so do many others!
Rest in peace, soap king!

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I still watched 90210.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

My earliest memory of a Jimmy Reilly story was definitely Buried Alive, but I got hooked on Marlena's Posession and stayed there until the end of Sally Sussman-Morina's run at DAYS.

It was just a fascinating tale to me...this pretty soap diva, this heroine everyone knew was speaking in demonic tongues and voices and acting all kinds of crazy.

I remembered being in checkout and thumbing through Soap Opera Digest while my mom was paying and reading "Head Writer Jimmy Reilly says..." And then, at that point(despite knowing it was fiction), I realized that writers created and develiped this stuff. And ever since then, I wrote little soap stories growing up, taped DAYS and different soaps over the years, and to this day, I'm still an ardent follower of the genre.

It's because of this spark of interest, this ability to develop a daily drama and make it into something that resonates with an audience, that I still follow and watch the genre. Despite the many warnings and death threats, I refuse to believe that daytime is over.

Reilly did his job. He got me watching soaps and got me hooked and I stayed there, even if I didn't stay with him.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I have to say I remember being in college and just being in my room after class with the TV on NBC. I remember sitting there watching the Carly buried alive story and by the end of the program saying "I have to watch that again tomorrow." I started watching Days again during the SSK storyline years after college. Sure JER sometimes dragged a story out WAY TOO LONG, but he tried new things and got people talking.

Nicole Walker

All I know is Passions and the SSK storyline. It was the SSK storyline that got me tuned back in after a long hiatus. Then it got stupid and I tuned out again. LOL.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply