Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
JER In Memoriam Thread; Share Your Memories!
Topic Started: Oct 14 2008, 05:01 PM (2,009 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Toups posted a really nice tribute.
http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=28239&st=0&#entry656498
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

PRINCESS GINA!!!!!!!! :rockon:

Nicole Walker

Did he write Princess Gina and John getting it on? LOL. That was HOT.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

This is a must read - :wub2:
http://marlenadelacroix.com/?p=150

hops
Member Avatar

The Pit, The Affair, Maison Blanche, The Possession, Arimed, Paris and SSK. He gave me John and Marlena.

hops
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Oct 14 2008, 07:37 PM
Did he write Princess Gina and John getting it on? LOL. That was HOT.
No. That was Tom Langan and SSM although Sally quit around that time. And they weren't hot to me, lol.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Princess Gina was not Reilly's story. Reilly wrote for Gina, an amnesiac woman being held by Stefano in New Orleans, who turned out to be a very much alive Hope. It wasn't until Reilly was gone and Sally Sussman Morina was head writer did Gina turn into a European princess.

That's a common misconception in regards to the Gina story. Reilly never intended for Gina to be a princess. That story was created months after Reilly was gone.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

As a latecomer to Reilly's stuff (I started re-watching in 2005 after a couple of decades hiatus), I'd have to say I loved Shimi. Rather tame next to the other stuff, but that was a couple with potential. Sometimes I wonder how much Corday tied his storyline hands.....

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

hops
Oct 14 2008, 08:46 PM
The Pit, The Affair, Maison Blanche, The Possession, Arimed, Paris and SSK. He gave me John and Marlena.
Yep,he is what caused me to start loving John and Marlena and he gave me Ethan and Theresa as well on Passions,I actually made a video tribute of some of his work I enjoyed.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Man, so many awesome stories...

1.) Carly Buried Alive - to this day, I can't go through a graveyard without thinking of this storyline. I also credit JER for making me chlaustrophobic, which I never was until this storyline.

2.) The Possession - Such an amazing story. Crazy, yes. Campy, yes. But when it comes to a story that celebrates the power of love, you just can't beat it. JER wrote the most beautiful stories for John and Marlena -- he wrote them like a poet. They were apart for virtually the entire time he wrote for them, yet fans loved him. That goes to show just how powerful a good story can be. It burned slowly and it gave an immense payoff.

3.) Sami/Austin/Carrie - this triangle turned Sami Brady into the quintessential bitch of the 90's and paved the way for her to become one of the show's most unforgettable characters.

4.) Maison Blanche - my God! So good, such an amazing story. This was the best that Stefano DiMera was ever written, IMO.

5.) The Secret Room - we all know how I feel about Kristen. :) This story showcased the divine Eileen Davidson in all her glory and turned her into my all-time favorite soap opera villainess.

It just doesn't get any better than JER during the 90's. No era on any other soap has EVER come close. JER wrote both my favorite soap stories ever as well as my least favorite soap stories ever. There was no in between for him, and I'm sure he wouldn't have had it any other way.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Quote:

JER wrote the most beautiful stories for John and Marlena -- he wrote them like a poet. They were apart for virtually the entire time he wrote for them, yet fans loved him. That goes to show just how powerful a good story can be. It burned slowly and it gave an immense payoff.

He did the same for Ethan and Theresa too.

Kenny
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Oct 14 2008, 09:29 PM
As a latecomer to Reilly's stuff (I started re-watching in 2005 after a couple of decades hiatus), I'd have to say I loved Shimi. Rather tame next to the other stuff, but that was a couple with potential. Sometimes I wonder how much Corday tied his storyline hands.....
Oh, you should definitely go to YouTube and search for some of the stories he wrote in the 90's. I know that the Possession is up almost in its entirety. It's crazy as hell but it's damn entertaining! LoL

Kenny
Member Avatar

Here's a RARE clip from the Buried Alive storyline. There's barely anything from this storyline on YouTube, so consider yourself crazy lucky for getting to see this! LoL

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 14 2008, 10:28 PM
Here's a RARE clip from the Buried Alive storyline. There's barely anything from this storyline on YouTube, so consider yourself crazy lucky for getting to see this! LoL

thanks.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Well, I guess JER is not coming back to Days after all. Well, that's sad because I think he had a lot of talent and made Days great in the 90s. Kristen was one of the best characters in soap history as portrayed by Eileen Davidson. 80s for me was Kim Brady played by Patsy Pease. 90s was Kristen Blake as played by Eileen. 00s is Sami Brady as portrayed by Alison Sweeney.

JER's Sami Brady is awesome. No one else quite gets her. I wish he'd gotten to tell the story he wanted with Sami and EJ - the reason he brought EJ on to begin with. That would have been so awesome to see his vision for them. Instead, we got screwed out of one of the story that I think could have revived Days to the point ratings were good enough to be solid #2 again and even competing with Y&R for #1.

My favorite JER story was Kristen/Susan. Susan was so funny. And Vivian!!! JER wrote Viv to the hilt. Loved Viv and Ivan.

Shylock

Upon reading the De Lacroix entry. Was there any reason why he seems to have hated Corday?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Shylock
Oct 14 2008, 10:58 PM
Upon reading the De Lacroix entry. Was there any reason why he seems to have hated Corday?
I just don't think they were ever on the same wavelength, creatively. I have a feeling that Corday always tried to interfere (big surprise!), especially in the beginning. Then when he saw what kind of ratings JER could get, he backed off.

When JER returned in 2003, I think Corday gave him free reign for about seven months, then started his usual meddling right about the time Melaswen came into play.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Another classic clip from JER's original run at Days... Tony (Andre) framing John for his murder! Very dramatic. :)

...and another clip, of Roman learning about John & Marlena's affair at Belle's baptism. AMAZING stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsTxZaRliCE

God, the 90's were just... so... GOOD.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Shylock
Oct 14 2008, 10:58 PM
Actually, I think they were ok when he first started. I think things may have turned sour after Sheri left and JER became sole HW. I also think they disagreed over JER writing out Matt Ashford's Jack. Langan never liked Matt and once JER decided to write him out, Corday was basically outnumbered but I do think that may have started the slippery slope. Like Kenny said, I'm sure that he tried to interfere maybe after Sheri left or something and that did it. Langan kind of prevented Corday from doing much of anything in the 90's, which is why I think the show worked so well. He left it to Langan because he didn't like working with JER probably by that point and ratings were good. JER and Langan worked together and you only have one vision onscreen. Corday hated that JER left in 1997 and that really ratcheted up the tension. Corday did not want JER anywhere near the show in 2003. He felt it would be a mistake and he was right. He had to suck it up though because NBC made it necessary for him to return to keep the show.

Enough about that though as I want to keep this positive. One thing I really liked about JER's first run at Days (not so much after that run) is how he always had characters pay for their mistakes in some way and how he never whitewashed what a character did. He always provided a redeeming quality or redeemed the character in some fashion but made sure the character's actions were never swept under the rug. A good example of this is Vivian Alamain. She buried Carly alive and paid for it by being sent to a mental institution and was nearly lobotomized. She also then implanted herself with Victor and Kate's embryo and drugged Kate's pilot, forcing her plane to go down. However, they had her so remorse and you still couldn't turn on her. You saw her be blackmailed and lose everything. Hell, she even ended up poor near the end of JER's run. Her crimes were never forgotten. She paid for them in some way and she was still able to redeemed after all she did.

Same goes for Kristen too. She was still redeemable the whole time. You understood her motivation and I just loved that.

I also think the more secondary stories like Vivian/Victor/Kate and Jack/Jennifer/Peter go unappreciated. They had some fantastic moments. I still recall Kate's plane going down. That leads me to another reason why I loved JER and Sheri writing together. The Reed/Roberts family was created under them and so many great characters that still affect the canvas today were born under their reign together. Billie, Austin, Sami, Kristen, Peter, etc. They really knew how to introduce characters.

I also really enjoyed the Curtis Reed story and Kate learning Billie and Austin were her kids, along with the Kate/Laura rivalry. Just awesome stuff.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Oct 14 2008, 10:28 PM

I wish people would post more of this and more Alamain stuff. I loved that family and this story I felt was so well-done because it was grounded still in reality. That is why I prefer the JER/Sheri period and JER pre-posession more then JER from 1995-1997. It was still good in that period but things went a bit too over the top at times while 1992-December 1994 was just great stuff still grounded in reality with very little to no plot holes.

The Buried Alive stories and the possession freaked me out for months though. Honestly, I was in my twenties and couldn't close my eyes without seeing Carly banging on her coffin or Marlena talking with that voice and raising her fists in the air as St. Luke's was burning to the ground.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply