Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers & Previews; week of 10/27 *UPDATED 10/21*
Topic Started: Oct 14 2008, 10:03 PM (8,637 Views)
River

Alligato
Oct 19 2008, 01:42 PM
There are many people who have commented that Nicole's child is doomed because of the fetal alcohol syndrome, and I feel that they did make enough mention of Nicole drinking alot to warrant some kind of mention....
HOWEVER...there are a few moms that I know, including myself, who were suprised with a pregnancy the week after a wonderful wedding weekend where we/I drank plenty and embibed more than necessary, and still had a healthy baby.

When most women find out they are pregnant, they stop drinking...and there is a good chance that all is well.
When Nicole found out she was pregnant, and even before, she wasn't drinking.
Hell, my mom drank during all of her pregnancies as most women did back in the day, and most of us turned out just fine.

Excessive alcohol consumption during a celebratory event and moderate alcohol consumption on daily basis is not comparable to excessive alcohol consumption throughout the fetus' first trimester. FAS should be an issue with Nicole's pregnancy and for Days to fail to address it in a meaningful manner would be a matter of corporate irresponsibility.

As a matter of personal preference, I find Nicole, Sami and EJ to all be more intriguing characters when they are far away from the nursery.
Edited by River, Oct 19 2008, 02:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

leharner

PhoenixRising05
Oct 19 2008, 02:40 PM
Exactly Alligato.

They made mention of Nicole's alcohol issues when she went to Daniel. She was going through withdrawal according to Daniel and that is why she was getting really sick. The few weeks before that she had decided to stop drinking because she was feeling nauseous so I do think it's possible for the baby to be completely fine. It's not like Marlo who drank alot during her pregnancy, which is why JT was stricken with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
Sorry, it's in the script. Nichole did not stop drinking "a few weeks" prior to her diagnosis. She ordered an OJ and then said "what the hell" to adding some vodka, just prior to going to the hospital. She continued to drink until the day Daniel told her she was pregnant. At the hospital she was out of control asking for alcohol. She displayed many characteristics of an alcoholic, including commenting that she could not be in withdrawal because she drank at least three drinks with every meal. She was throwing up the alcohol because of alcohol poinening. DT's were diagnosed, which can only develop after prolonged and excessive exposure to alcohol, and are symptomatic of alcoholicism.

The writers went out of the way to write her as an alcoholic for months leading up to the pregnancy storyline. She clearly was drinking heavily for the first 8-12 weeks of her pregnancy. That is not the same as a moderate occassional drinker or even a single binge. Withdrawal occurs after the user has developed an addiction, not from casual use, and is experienced for a period of hours, beginning 4-12 hours after the last use, depending on the substance.

Once physical withdrawal is complete, the addict still must contend with the psychological ravages of addiction. It is a common phrase among recovering addicts that "quitting is not the problem, staying quit is." Physcal withdrawal from alcohol does not occur weeks after the abuser stops using. It is a dangerous situation for a pregnant woman and fetus, and it deserves to be acknowledged in the story.

I am not trying to further any agenda with this post, I really believe it would be terribly irresponsible for NBC/Sony/Days to have built such a strong case for Nichole's drinking and then ignore it.

I have faith in Ari's ability to act and believe she could do justice to a great many stories, including a pregnancy or a miscarriage. But rather than haul out another tired Days repeat story, I think that a story built around her alcoholism, a miscarriage, a relationship with Melanie, and an exploration into her relationship with the mudered abusive husband could be Emmy material for her. It is time to redeem this woman and take her out of the role of victim by letting her face and conquer her demons.
Edited by leharner, Oct 19 2008, 06:22 PM.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

leharner
Oct 19 2008, 05:33 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 19 2008, 02:40 PM
Exactly Alligato.

They made mention of Nicole's alcohol issues when she went to Daniel. She was going through withdrawal according to Daniel and that is why she was getting really sick. The few weeks before that she had decided to stop drinking because she was feeling nauseous so I do think it's possible for the baby to be completely fine. It's not like Marlo who drank alot during her pregnancy, which is why JT was stricken with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
Sorry, it's in the script. Nichole did not stop drinking "a few weeks" prior to her diagnosis. She ordered an OJ and then said "what the hell" to adding some vodka, just prior to going to the hospital. She continued to drink until the day Daniel told her she was pregnant. At the hospital she was out of control asking for alcohol. She displayed many characteristics of an alcoholic, including commenting that she could not be in withdrawal because she drank at least three drinks with every meal. She was throwing up the alcohol because of alcohol poinening. DT's were diagnosed, which can only develop after prolonged and excessive exposure to alcohol, and are symptomatic of alcoholicism.

The writers went out of the way to write her as an alcoholic for months leading up to the pregnancy storyline. She clearly was drinking heavily for the first 8-12 weeks of her pregnancy. That is not the same as a moderate occassional drinker or even a single binge. It is a dangerous situation for a pregnant woman and fetus, and it deserves to be acknowledged in the story.

I am not trying to further any agenda with this post, I really believe it would be terribly irresponsible for NBC/Sony/Days to have built such a strong case for Nichole's drinking and then ignore it.

I have faith in Ari's ability to act and believe she could do justice to a great many stories, including a pregnancy or a miscarriage. But rather than haul out another tired Days repeat story, I think that a story built around her alcoholism, a miscarriage, a relationship with Melanie, and an exploration into her relationship with the mudered abusive husband could be Emmy material for her. It is time to redeem this woman and take her out of the role of victim by letting her face and conquer her demons.
There are a lot of things that Days has been irresponsible about, two couples come to mind. I don't want to start anything, but on a soap were an uncle can fuck his niece without anyone in the family batting an eye, I don't see how Nicole drinking before she found out she was pregnant should play in to the plot at all. There are many s/l's where I think Days has definitely gone places that they shouldn't have. I just FF through those couples/characters that I don't agree with. If I wasn't an avid watcher for the past two decades, I probably would have stopped watching a few years ago. I just can't give up the hope, that at some point, we'll get some good s/l's. Oh how I long for the Days of old.

And as Alligato so nicely put it... back in the day, many women drank throughout their pregnancy, and their kids turned out just fine (for the most part). Now, if Nicole continued to drink after knowing that she was preggers, then I can see why people might complain. But she hasn't. I hope she has a beautiful, healthy baby. She is due a little happiness.

Nicole Walker

I agree. I don't mind NIcole being scared of the FAS issue happening to her baby but I think since she stopped drinking that her baby should be healthy. It's not like she purposely was drinking while pregnant.

Alligato
Member Avatar

great points, mesagirl!

Days has been totally irresponsibly in MANY MANY storylines...the fact that a man impregnants two women (one who didn't want a relationship with him, the other he doesn't know) and NOBODY talks about birth control/STDs is much more of an issue to me than....nevermind. Babies just seem to be disposable props to Days/NBC/Sony if you look at it that way.

I am saying that the story of FAS would be much more plausible if they currently showed an alcohol addicted woman...who is currently in withdrawls, has the shakes, dreams of drinking and fighting the urge to drink...instead of someone who happily accepts sparkling water and doesn't flinch at the sight of champagne. Nicole is NOT experiencing any signs of alcoholism.
I would hope that the baby suffering for it would be dropped too. It is a sick storyline and isn't much for entertainment....to me at least.

Also, Nicole hasn't been pregnant before...probably won't happen again because of her condition...so this is a great, never been used story for her. Oops pregnancies and miscarriages (not to mention surprise daughters) happen all the time....talk about a repeat story!! Let's try something different for her!
Edited by Alligato, Oct 19 2008, 08:19 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm surprised anyone even expects Days to be socially responsible. They have an autism story where the writer herself has a son with autism, and are doing OK with it, after a couple of months of bungling it. I doubt they can handle two socially redeeming storylines, but should they choose to go that route, Ari will kick ass on it. Not that I want any Nicole detractors to have yet ANOTHER reason to bash her. :huh:
Actually, you know, Alligato, a Nicole storyline like this COULD work in Ari's and Nicole's favor, written correctly. IT could have Emmy written all over it. ;)

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

Stephanie's neediness and clinginess with Max is driving me batty. If she tries to own Philip, then it will be disgusting. It would suit me if Steve and Kayla departed and took Stephanie with them. They are my least favorite family on the show. Tony and Anna are amusing but haven't been part of any story except with Kate and if Kate departs, Tony and Anna can go also. There seems to be a lot of more interesting direction with the remaining characters and more time for Bo and Hope again.

faithloveright
Member Avatar

I for one am looking forward to the idea of Nicole TRYING to babysit and having a terrible time at it.... I also am looking forward to when Sami finds out that EJ LET her worst enemy watch their son. OMG that scene is going to be BIG..... it may very well be when we get the long awaited I LOVE YOU from Sami to EJ.... think about it,.. Sami only lets this kind of thing slip when she is REALLY worked up and good and mad..... well, those of you who don't think that Sami will be angry when she finds out that not only is the man she loves boinking her worst enemy and expecting a child with her, but letting her take care of THEIR son??? Well.... You are more nuts than Nicole is thinking that she has any chance whatsoever of making EJ STOP loving Sami.

Nicole Walker

We don't know what's gonna happen. So let's just sit back and enjoy the bumpy ride.

Nicole Walker

More detailed spoilers. Don't know if these were posted yet.

Monday, October 27th
Sami covers Johnny's revelation and says goodbye; Chloe and Lucas are intimate; Nicole baby-sits Johnny; Nick tells Melanie that he can help establish her innocence if she stays; Chelsea wants to confide in Nick that she worries about Kate.

Tuesday, October 28th
Max admits his worry that Melanie may have killed Trent; Trent's will leaves all to Melanie but a box and a letter; Kate says she has lung cancer and wants Lucas to run the business; Chelsea runs to Kate's treatment with a St. Sofia medal; photo shoot.

Wednesday, October 29th
Darrell gets reassigned when he realizes Sami is faking illness; Bo opens an envelope intended for the police but doesn't tell Melanie; Philip cements his status with Chloe; Nicole plans to decorate the nursery, and she and EJ discuss marriage.

Thursday, October 30th
When Nicole is arrested, she fears EJ doesn't believe her; Sami drugs her new guard, just as a stranger appears; Kate has chemotherapy, but her odds aren't good; an interview overwhelms Theo, and Abe and Lexie question his public exposure.

Friday, October 31st
Stephanie confides in Philip about Melanie; Nick offers to let Mel stay with him at Maggie's; EJ tries to defend Nicole, who has been arrested, and she freaks out; an intruder spooks Sami, but the man is an FBI agent, Rafe, who will replace Hilda.

ges
Member Avatar

faithloveright
Oct 20 2008, 01:21 PM
I for one am looking forward to the idea of Nicole TRYING to babysit and having a terrible time at it.... I also am looking forward to when Sami finds out that EJ LET her worst enemy watch their son. OMG that scene is going to be BIG..... it may very well be when we get the long awaited I LOVE YOU from Sami to EJ.... think about it,.. Sami only lets this kind of thing slip when she is REALLY worked up and good and mad..... well, those of you who don't think that Sami will be angry when she finds out that not only is the man she loves boinking her worst enemy and expecting a child with her, but letting her take care of THEIR son??? Well.... You are more nuts than Nicole is thinking that she has any chance whatsoever of making EJ STOP loving Sami.
Can I get an amen. :hail:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

faithloveright
Uh, wow. Thanks for the psychological examination, but no thanks.

suzipawhuska
Member Avatar

Not trying to start an agruement, but, Sami does NOT LOVE EJ!!

Alligato
Member Avatar

faithloveright
Well.... You are more nuts than Nicole is thinking that she has any chance whatsoever of making EJ STOP loving Sami.
First of all, comment not necessary....
And second, I believe there was a line from EJ about three weeks ago where he said "I am not in love with Samantha"...and something else about she brings out the worst in me.

However, I will say the writing is all over the place, and I have no clue what either is thinking. I am just giving a different perspective.

Nicole Walker

I agree nobody knows what's gonna happen. Nothing is set in stone right now.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ah, the beauty of triangles.....................

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Daytime Dial spoilers

NEXT WEEK:

* Trents will is read to Max and Melanie.

* Kate tells Philip and Lucas that she has lung cancer.

* Daniel asks Chelsea if shell ever be able to forgive him and Kate.

* Stephanie worries that Melanie will always come between her and Max.

* Lexie worries about thrusting Theo further into the public eye with Abes election.

Thursday Nicole is arrested for the murder of Trent Robbins.

Friday Sami is alone to defend herself from a mysterious intruder.

http://daytimedial.blogspot.com/

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Angie!!

Mason
Member Avatar

Could Daniel please just die already?

Nicole Walker

Well at least Nicole has EJ as her lawyer if anybody can get her off it'll be him!! The bonus is that it's free of charge cause she's his baby mama. LMAO!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply