Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week of Oct. 13th
Topic Started: Oct 13 2008, 12:23 PM (5,330 Views)
mesagirl
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Oct 13 2008, 07:47 PM
I love Nicole. The end.
I'll second that!

I FF'd thru all of Stax (can't stand them!). I actually FF'd thru most of Melanie and Phil too. I heard enough at the end. Dad gave her the wallet, and now she doesn't know if she killed Trent or not. Did I miss anything there? lol

I actually enjoyed watching the Nicole/EJ/Sami stuff today. Basically because I love Sami getting her comeupance a bit. Man was she a bitch toward Nicole! And the look on her face when she saw the belly bump! Priceless.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LorrieOw
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Oct 13 2008, 05:25 PM
Sindacco
Oct 13 2008, 12:33 PM
Todays episode sucked, but I'm not suprised since the last two weeks have sucked.

I'm a Drake fan, and I hated seeing him today. I don't blame his acting so much as what could anyone do with sad dialog like that. It's a shame. I was hoping for a nice blend of new and old John, and they're making him weak and lame. I've said before, the writers have won, go ahead and split them already! I can't stand to see them together like this. I'd rather them be apart. I'm honestly wishing Kate would help him. I prefer Marlena, but at least Kate empowered him vs. emasculating him. Actually, I'd even rather Stefano turn him into his pawn again at this point. Sure, I feel for John, but to see him begging Marlena to just give him a chance and her being amused and treating him condescendingly as a child turns my stomach.

J&M are the primary reason I watch days, but I love so many of the vets, I will usually watch for other stories that interest me. With all the stories so lame, and now J&M being downright painful, I just watched today and wondered 'Why am I still watching?' I never thought I was a masochist before, but I apparently have sado-masochistic tendencies.

You said emasculating him, and that was exactly how I felt. John reminded me of a poor little boy trying to hard to do something good to please his mommy and gain her approval.

I loved Kate telling off Chelsea. Good for her. If she wants to have a romantic encounter and Daniel wasn't in a committed relationship with Chelsea, and they hadn't had a date yet, good for her. "All's fair in love and war." My personal take is that Chelsea not so much upset that Kate and Daniel betrayed her, but more because she feels more of a rivalry with Kate where Daniel is concerned, and Kate "bested" her, and showed her up. Daniel seemed more like a trophy for Chelsea to me, and Kate stole her toy. JMO.

Loved Nicole, and I loved that she put Sami in her place, which was the conversation was between her and EJ and really none of Sami's business, and that EJ backed her. Felt bad for her where EJ reactions were, but the poor guys in shock.

I agree with whoever posted the question on why Marlena as a Dr. can't look at Sami and tell she's pregnant.

Marlena was irritating with her little smirk and laugh about Nicole being pregnant, I thought she came off as cold and laughing at Nicole.

dockbuddy

Melanie gives me a headache and nausea. Pairing her with Phil , I would rather see Caroline and Rolf together. Total mismatch, zero chemistry. Sami needs a vacation for about a year.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

kpuma
Oct 13 2008, 01:57 PM
Yes, it's true that many have forgiven Chelsea in the past -- but it took months and months and a lot of groveling on Chelsea's part.
Oh please! Don't give me that!

Chelsea has never had to grovel for anybody's forgiveness. She got off scott free with just a slap on the wrist for killing Zack and like everything else in her pathetic existance, she got forgiveness on a silver platter. Those whom she was unmercifully cruel to (such as Hope) ended up being the ones who eventually apologize to her and worship the dirt she slithers around on for some dumbass contrived reason(s).
Edited by KristianFanForever, Oct 13 2008, 09:59 PM.

Kyrai

LorrieOw
Oct 13 2008, 08:49 PM
You said emasculating him, and that was exactly how I felt. John reminded me of a poor little boy trying to hard to do something good to please his mommy and gain her approval.

I loved Kate telling off Chelsea. Good for her. If she wants to have a romantic encounter and Daniel wasn't in a committed relationship with Chelsea, and they hadn't had a date yet, good for her. "All's fair in love and war." My personal take is that Chelsea not so much upset that Kate and Daniel betrayed her, but more because she feels more of a rivalry with Kate where Daniel is concerned, and Kate "bested" her, and showed her up. Daniel seemed more like a trophy for Chelsea to me, and Kate stole her toy. JMO.

Loved Nicole, and I loved that she put Sami in her place, which was the conversation was between her and EJ and really none of Sami's business, and that EJ backed her. Felt bad for her where EJ reactions were, but the poor guys in shock.

I agree with whoever posted the question on why Marlena as a Dr. can't look at Sami and tell she's pregnant.

Marlena was irritating with her little smirk and laugh about Nicole being pregnant, I thought she came off as cold and laughing at Nicole.
That's exactly how I felt about John and Marlena's scene. I'm sure that's what they were going for, but it made me sick.

I forgot about Kate. I loved her finally telling Chelsea off. Go Kate!

I didn't like Sami at all. Why they insist on making her such a ridiculous charicature is beyond me. I do like Nicole. It just seems like the writers don't know where to go with her or I don't know where to go with her. I'm honestly just torn and tired of thinking. I want her to make it on her own, especially the way EJ is acting. I'm just so tired of the back and forth. I would rather see Nicole mature for her baby. I hate that EJ is going back and forth between her and EJ, and she just lets him, but at the same time, I'm glad she doesn't hold a grudge and isn't nutso like Sami.

I know it's the writers, but I'm finding it hard to even watch Marlena anymore, and I used to love her.

hops
Member Avatar

Kyrai, it's the writers. They could perfectly well write a decent story for John and Marlena out of all of this without resorting to this ground hog day approach and having John revert instead of progress. It isn't the characters, it's the writers, because it doesn't matter who they are writing for, something is missing. Splitting up John and Marlena will change nothing. There have been glimpses of what could be in Jan/Feb and during the Olympics, so someone, somewhere has a clue, but instead of running with it, they seem to be scared to write an in depth, heartfelt, character driven story for J&M. Why drop the Stefano connection? It set up great conflict for both characters. Why not let Marlena 'see' how John is trying to change instead of him telling her second hand. And I'm tired of Marlena being used as a sounding board for Sami without regard for the character of Marlena. Marlena would so realize that Sami was pregnant. It's just insulting. And I'm tired of John only being able to relate to characters like Sami/Nicole/Ava, who all seem to have a hard time relating in a mature way to anyone. Yes, they seem to be trying to have the character of Nicole grow up a bit, but look who had to tell Nicole what the right thing to do was..... John. John and Marlena have/had more in common then most people in Salem. Marlena was used and abused by Stefano herself. Why haven't they bonded over this? or had a conversation about this?
Edited by hops, Oct 14 2008, 12:38 AM.

Kyrai

hops
Oct 14 2008, 12:31 AM
Kyrai, it's the writers. They could perfectly well write a decent story for John and Marlena out of all of this without resorting to this ground hog day approach and having John revert instead of progress. It isn't the characters, it's the writers, because it doesn't matter who they are writing for, something is missing. Splitting up John and Marlena will change nothing. There have been glimpses of what could be in Jan/Feb and during the Olympics, so someone, somewhere has a clue, but instead of running with it, they seem to be scared to write an in depth, heartfelt, character driven story for J&M. Why drop the Stefano connection? It set up great conflict for both characters. Why not let Marlena 'see' how John is trying to change instead of him telling her second hand. And I'm tired of Marlena being used as a sounding board for Sami without regard for the character of Marlena. Marlena would so realize that Sami was pregnant. It's just insulting. And I'm tired of John only being able to relate to characters like Sami/Nicole/Ava, who all seem to have a hard time relating in a mature way to anyone. Yes, they seem to be trying to have the character of Nicole grow up a bit, but look who had to tell Nicole what the right thing to do was..... John. John and Marlena have/had more in common then most people in Salem. Marlena was used and abused by Stefano herself. Why haven't they bonded over this? or had a conversation about this?
Thanks Hops. I love your posts, and I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this utter frustration.

I agree with every word you wrote. I just don't understand why the writers even think this story would be enjoyable. Love stories used to be fun and uplifting. There was angst, but not this absolute gloom and doom, and love didn't weaken characters, it strengthened them. It's just really getting to me.

I have a deep rooted affection for who Marlena was in the 80s/90s. Gifted psychiatrist, loving caring friend, wise and patient. I just really miss her. And I miss John.

LorrieOw
Member Avatar

hops
Oct 14 2008, 12:31 AM
ICA!! I was okay with Marlena deciding to move on. I can understand her having an epiphany after her vision of meeating Sam, and deciding that the relationship she was having with John was not good for her, and needing to rediscover herself. But then have her move on, but let her see John growing and developing for herself, and then having the two of them find their way back to each other. Don't make John out to be some poor bumbling fool, desperate for Marlena's love and approval.

The Phillip/Melanie interactions are very confusing. If they want to have them interact, wouldn't it make at least some sense if they would show the reason Phillip is involved, is because his brother Bo, is upset at his mom being arrested for murder, and now Phillip has gotten at least a little bit of information conerning Melanie's involvement, and he just wants to help his brother now that they have bonded. Especcially since Bo put his life and career on the line for Phillip. If the writers could put that sort of spin on the story I would be okay, otherwise it justs seems too random and wierd.

Sariah
Member Avatar

I still think the Phelony interaction all comes down to them not knowing what JKJ's contract status is and whether or not he's staying. It's some random storyline to throw him in, but it makes zero sense. I also thought they could easily explain it by having him do this for his father - trying to find the murderer to get Caroline out because it is so important to his dad that she be set free. I wouldn't even mind it if maybe Philip was trying to frame Melanie in order to free Caroline. That would make some sense, at least. But having Philip interact with children as potential love interests is getting very old. I keep wondering after Melanie, who's next? Ciara? Allie? Nicole's fetus?

Nicole has been sucking me in with her storyline these past few days. I am so rooting for her, and loving the way they're writing her reaction to this pregnancy. I'm starting to wish she didn't have feelings for EJ, because she deserves better than Sami's lapdog. They have great chemistry and I liked their story until this past week, but I hate how EJ doesn't want Nicole the way she wants him. She deserves better!

Still hate Sami. Still want to smack her everytime she's on screen. But Nicole is making even Sami watchable for me, which is a pretty big feat in my book. :)

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Sariah
Oct 14 2008, 08:38 AM
But having Philip interact with children as potential love interests is getting very old. I keep wondering after Melanie, who's next? Ciara? Allie? Nicole's fetus?

:lol:

Fuzzy

So now Nicole has always wanted to have children? No comment. Sami's acting like an immature brat, but since that's how Dena sees her, I guess I should get used to it.

I really thought that things couldn't get worse for Philip than Phorgan. But I guess that's that cardinal rule in soaps. No matter how bad it is, it can always get worse.

I want the old John back. The new John was interesting for a while, but now it's getting old. I think part is it is that they've forgotten what they planned to do with him. While I'm at it, can I have the old Marlena back too?

Why is it that when there's a regime change, things always look great at first? Then reality sets in. Right now, the show is still fairly decent compared to last month, but I have a feeling it's going to go downhill from here.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Fuzzy
Oct 14 2008, 11:22 AM
So now Nicole has always wanted to have children? No comment. Sami's acting like an immature brat, but since that's how Dena sees her, I guess I should get used to it.

I really thought that things couldn't get worse for Philip than Phorgan. But I guess that's that cardinal rule in soaps. No matter how bad it is, it can always get worse.

I want the old John back. The new John was interesting for a while, but now it's getting old. I think part is it is that they've forgotten what they planned to do with him. While I'm at it, can I have the old Marlena back too?

Why is it that when there's a regime change, things always look great at first? Then reality sets in. Right now, the show is still fairly decent compared to last month, but I have a feeling it's going to go downhill from here.
Ah, there in lies the problem. The writers. As of Monday, the new co-head writer is in place as is some new writers too.

Here is a list of changes per Toups at SON:
Rick Draughon last listed as Co-Head Writer on October 10
- Renee Godelia last listed as Script Writer on October 10
- Victor Gialanella last listed as Script Editor on October 10
- Renee Godelia back listed as Associate Head Writer on October 13
- Rick Draughon back listed as Associate Head Writer on October 13
- Fran Myers back listed as Script Editor on October 13
- Christopher Whitesell first listed as Co-Head Writer on October 13
- Phideaux Xavier first listed as Director on October 13

Apparently Richard Colliton and Jean Marie Ford are coming on board too.
So, we shall see where the stories go from here. I sure would like to see our characters return to who they really are, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.
My thoughts on Phillip and Melanie: NO! I cringed when he said he liked her but didn't know why. I don't know why either!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

ArizonaDaze
Oct 14 2008, 11:46 AM
Ah, there in lies the problem. The writers. As of Monday, the new co-head writer is in place as is some new writers too.

So, we shall see where the stories go from here. I sure would like to see our characters return to who they really are, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.
My thoughts on Phillip and Melanie: NO! I cringed when he said he liked her but didn't know why. I don't know why either!
First, thanks for posting the list of writers and directors! I had been wondering about Christopher Whitesell and his first date.

Second, somebody is actually named Phideaux? Well, I guess it's unique!

Third, I had the same reaction when Philip said he liked her but didn't know why. Not only do I not believe he likes her, not only does he have no reason to like her, he said the exact same line--I believe word for word--to Nicole a while back. At least with Nicole it made some sense.

Nicole Walker

I don't like Phillip and Melanie. They have no chemistry and she's bratty.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Oct 14 2008, 11:55 AM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
Oct 14 2008, 11:46 AM
Fuzzy
Oct 14 2008, 11:22 AM

That's my biggest fear with watching DAYS right now. When Higley's team first came on at the beginning of the year, DAYS was on fire. Then by spring or so, it started become stale and boring and lame throughout the summer. Now, it seems like Higley's writing again after that whole writing scandal and things are great once again. Where will be by November/December? That's the real quesiton. If Higle can keep me intrigued and entertained like I have been since the beginning of September, by the end of the year, I'll be happy and shocked.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Nicole Dimera
Oct 14 2008, 11:55 AM
It's maddening because I like Melanie. I have no issues with her being a bad girl. I have no issues with friction between her and Stephanie, her and Max, her and Chelsea. Today shows her softer side with Nick and it's so frustrating to see them possibly think of going down this road but obviously are too gunshy to fully commit.

The issue is as usual the show is going about trying to ruin her by placing her in situations she doesn't belong. This happened with Morgan when they decided to bring her in the dock wars through her father. That story had so many problems but it looks honestly well thought out then the forced nature of Melanie going to Philip for help. It makes Melanie look bad and a lot of the good setup they have done for her is being thrown out the window because all anyone can concentrate on (me included) is how wrong she is for Philip and why in the name of that last good hairdo (not his) would Philip even care about Melanie or her situation.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar

Sariah
Oct 14 2008, 08:38 AM
I keep wondering after Melanie, who's next? Ciara? Allie? Nicole's fetus?
Um, Ciara is biologically a Kiriakis because she's Bo's daughter, Victor is Bo's biological father and Philip is Bo's biological half brother so that would be pretty gross. That would be so perverted, even for a creep like Philip.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Oct 14 2008, 11:55 AM
And he's a nephew's wife stealing @^^hole. LOL!

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Um, Ciara is biologically a Kiriakis because she's Bo's daughter,

You say that like Days suddenly has a problem with incest. I think Stax is pretty good proof that they don't.

Besides, I was being facetious and sarcastic. I'm tired of them pairing a great character like Philip with little girls. :D

maryg23dz
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Oct 13 2008, 02:22 PM
Alligato
Oct 13 2008, 01:58 PM
Sami/EJ/Nicole: Kind of weird that EJ's first reaction was "why didn't you tell me sooner?" - I wonder if he will be pissed that Sami is waiting months before telling him.
While I felt bad for Nicole while Sami was trash talking her (love how people throw the word "whore" around on that show. Classless word.) Nicole needed to back off and give EJ some time to process. Let him make the next move. She was a little over the top today, and I still don't buy the "I want to be a mom" thing from her.
EJ's last line was classic! I love it! I wish she would have slapped him.

Chelsea/Kate: I wish Kate would just open her mouth and say, I am waiting for results on my biopsy. How many times do we have to hear Chelsea call herself a selfish bitch for wailing on Kate. Chelsea needs something to do other than trail Kate and make moon eyes at Daniel. Kate kicked ass on telling Chelsea off!!! I loved it!
Also, Kate reminded me of Sarah Palin a bit today!

Phillip/Melanie: I just don't see why this powerful man is talking to this Daphne-looking teen. Makes no sense. Phil needs a haircut!

John/Marlena: take 2,596...loved Marlena's last line to Sami! So does Sami love EJ now?

Stax: Ugh! Wake me when this mess is over!!
More and more I find I don't need to post my thoughts on anything; I can just quote yours!

I was a Melanie fan at first, but she's annoying me now. First, I don't want her anywhere near Philip and can't figure out why he's wasting his time with her. He's not a PI but a businessman; doesn't he have mergers and acquisitions and stuff like that to deal with? Second, Melanie's voice is starting to drive me a little nuts.

I agree that Nicole needed to give EJ some time to digest her breaking news. Seriously, what did she expect the man to do? Even for people in a committed relationship, an unexpected pregnancy is a shock and these two only had elevator sex and half a date. As for Sami, I've given up on trying to figure out what's she thinking or feeling or planning. The EJ/Sami/Lucas/Nicole mess hasn't made sense EVER.

I was cheering Kate when she told off Chelsea. What a self-centered little brat. She's led a far from perfect life and has made tons of relationship errors; she needs to step back and calm down. However, Kate needs to come clean with Chelsea on what's going on with her health.

I don't know what to think about John and Marlena. I'm tired of it, I'm over it, either reconcile or divorce, I don't care any more as long as they quit having the same conversations over and over. And how is it that Marlena at least can't see that Sami is pregnant? She's a doctor and her mother; moms usually pick up on stuff like that. Or maybe that's why she is wearing that horrible yellow top--it's so bright that no one can actually look at Sami straight on without having their retinas scorched.

Stax....I'm not going to even acknowledge them. I'm trying to watch their scenes, but it's so torturous!

I so agree with what both of you said...

Melanie is increasingly shrill, and I just don't see a need for her anymore... If she's there to give Philip storyline, well it's not working! If she's there to give Stax a storyline, WHO CARES??? I'm done with that character, and pretty sure that I'll be FFing her from now on...

Nicole is being stupid at the moment. Her expectations are just waaaaaaayyy too high of EJ. She needs to give EJ some time to deal with it... And DH is writing Sami as a serious brat, which she can definitely be, but I think DH's interpretation is no where near as good as Sami deserves.

I couldn't care less about Kate and Chelsea. Kate's being stupid, Chelsea's being stupid. Let's move on and give the airtime to a storyline that's going somewhere.

Everything else you both said... 100% agree!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply